No announcement yet.

Which one is better? Netflix vs Amazon

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one is better? Netflix vs Amazon

I have yet to decide to which platform I should give my money to. Do you mind telling me which one you are using and why? It will be very helpful!

Amazon is 30 bucks a year cheaper than Netflix (99 vs 131.88). But for me, Netflix just offers the better original material. And usually when I'm missing something, it's not on Amazon either - or at least not included for free in Prime.

I did not make a decision on mobile use because I don't watch mobile.

Comment

As someone who has both, I use Netflix more.

If there's a series you NEED to have available, check which one has it. For example, Netflix has Cheers, Frasier, and Friends, and those are shows I watch a lot with my girlfriend because we both like them.

Other than that, both platforms are trending towards original content. Their selection of older stuff is getting worse and worse, and it also changes. Neither of them have a good selection of classics or older tv shows. So, my recommendation is to target the platform that has original content that interests you the most. That's the only content that will reliably stay available with that service for the long run.

Comment

Hmm... I see, So if I am looking for classics do you think I can find them on one of the platforms or I should search for another alternative way to watch them? I appreciate the original content that you are talking about, I've also heard that they produce some series and movies that can't be found on other platforms.
        I think I am more captured by Netflix's original content. I watched some trailers and I loved it! I think I will sign for the free trial and I will see how it goes. I might change my mind though. When I did my research, I came across a good comparison of Amazon, Netflix, and other platforms.
        According to it, Hulu is also a pretty good platform and is compatible with Netflix and Amazon. Has anyone tried it? Does it feature old movies?

Comment

I have Hulu in addition to amazon and Netflix. Hulu has a lot of good classic old shows like "I love lucy", etc, and also features current shows airing on certain TV channels like NBC, ABC, etc even though they air the new eps a day after it airs on TV. also has a good selection of anime and short clips.

Their movie selection can be pretty "Meh" unless you also like collection of 90's movies and other classic movies... they typically don't get new movies that you can rent like Amazon does.

I mainly use Hulu to catch up on shows I missed, like Gotham, as well as to view my anime shows. I've watched some old 90's movies on there now and then however.

Comment

Oops! That’s a hard one. I have accounts on both and there are times when one thing is available on the other and not on the one I am looking at. I would also say that there are some amazing shows by Andy Yeatman that are available only on Netflix and nowhere else. So, that puts Netflix on top for me.

Comment

I have Netflix and Amazon. I recently used a gift card to access Hulu for 3 months. As someone who mostly watches TV shows on those services (not so much movies) and someone who prefers drama, action and sci fi type shows (ie not really someone who watches a lot of comedy), here's my take.

1. I enjoyed Netflix when I first joined a few years back, b/c they had older series from other networks I'd not seen, more contemporary series from other networks/cable I'd also not seen, and some original material. Now, I'm a little more dissatisfied just b/c they're moving over to so much original content. Some of which is very good, but I also feel like, since it's new material, I have to watch it (and thus invest time) before I know if it's "good" (subjectively speaking of course!)or not. Whereas before, when they carried older and contemporaneous material from other networks, I usually already knew from word of mouth and critical reviews whether a show was going to be something I wanted to watch. I just miss the - what I considered high quality - non-original content is what I guess I'm saying! And I agree that a lot of what they have now that is not original just isn't that good IMO. But I have no plans to get rid of Netflix at this time.

2. There are a few things on Amazon that I'm very glad I've been able to watch (Justified, Orphan Black, The Americans, Poldark, Banshee to name a few. As well as quite a few others I'd be happy to access, if I didn't already own DVDs - The Wire, Sopranos, Friday Night Lights etc). But there's not as much left on there that I want to see and haven't yet seen. I guess they're moving toward more original content. I haven't liked as much of their original stuff as I've liked Netflix's original content, but I do think Amazon's original content is probably improving though (I LOVED 'Transparent' though that's an older original). Anyway, I'm strongly considering getting rid of Amazon in the next few months...

3. After my trial period of Hulu, I'm thinking of maybe picking it up for a while, just b/c they do have a bigger selection of older non-original material from other networks/cable that I haven't watched but would like to watch. Seems like a lot of stuff that left Netflix, and which I hadn't gotten around to watching, is now available on Hulu. I also really enjoyed their original, The Handmaid's Tale (even though almost every episode left me feeling depressed )

I guess what I'm interested in from a platform is a blend of original material plus shows from other networks/cable that get good word-of-mouth or are well-regarded and which I'd never heard about or just never got around to watching...

I also think I've gotten very spoiled and lazy, and now it's almost like I don't want to watch anything while it's an ongoing show - I want everyone else to put in the work of watching it and letting me know if it's a good show or not, and then I want the whole series to be finished before I commit to watching it! (just kidding, but really kinda not )
              Last edited by Shelby Kent; 09-19-2018, 09:09 AM.

Comment

I do not like any of them regarding user interface.

There are streaming companies that treat device accommodation like an afterthought. Some people have notches on their devices' screens for example. Which some streaming companies have not made their apps accommodate users' screen notches. All of that makes me come to the conclusion employees who are only smart enough to think when getting a paycheck work in those streaming companies. Coming to that conclusion made me think that professionalism is lacking in streaming businesses.

On top of that, I got a dodgy quality of customer support service from Amazon. Another conclusion I reached is that customer support service has become a joke these days in many businesses. Getting a phone number, an email, or real people to talk with have become increasingly hard for customer support service these days. Now, these vile business owners have replaced people capable of critical thinking with unhelpful bots in customer support service. Amazon has fallen in customer support service. So, I will not waste my money on Amazon, especially when it is controlled by vile people who allow scammers to sell false products, such as microSD cards with fake product information. Amazon is being run like a mafia would be.

Comment

Netflix's interface is ugly and distracting when I press the play button. I want that play button, subtitles, episode list, and other things to stop blocking the view in my movies. Because I want to watch my Netflix movies without seeing the play button symbol blocking a person's head for example. If Netflix could start putting that play button, subtitles, episode list, and other things outside of the movie, that would be less distracting and ugly. This is why I prefer downloading videos and watching them on the desktop V.L.C. media player. Because a play button symbol does block the view in movies when I use V.L.C. media player's desktop version.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎