No announcement yet.

What went wrong after season one

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What went wrong after season one

Season one is in my opinion the high point of the show and I think it has been down hill from there:

1)Oliver's mission made sense in season one: In season one Oliver was saving the city from a corrupt untouchable rich elite. This made sense, the police and the DA couldn't touch these people. Now he is saving the City from what? Endless bank robberies and heists that never happen in the real world? Villians whose motivation makes no sense?

There is no need for a highly trained fighter like Oliver to deal with petty street level crime, the police could handle it, it makes no sense. Are the corrupt rich elite all OK now?

2)There was a sense of realism that had been lost. In the first season one of the villains of the week outwits Oliver by realising he only carried a limited number of Arrows. The show was grounded, the stakes and fights felt real. Now Oliver has endless arrows and the fights look like an endless crowd of people break dancing and making ridiculous grunting noises.

3)The show wasn't afraid to show violence in a real light and question Oliver's actions in the first season. After all this a guy who uses a deadly weapon to fight a corrupt elite. He killed and hurt people. I know there was a big backlash against that, but I don't understand why.

It treated us like adults who could deal with a complex morality. Understand that violence had consequences. Now we are expected to believe that team Arrow can use violence without ever hurting anyone.

4)Season one gave villains real motivations. Look at the episode with bank robbers. They weren't evil, they had been fired by Oliver's father. Yes he took them down, but it was a bitter sweet victory. The audience understood their motivation.

Nothing like that happens anymore, the villain comes to Star city or whatever it is called now and do bad stuff for reasons. That might work in a simple show like the Flash, with meta of the week, but in Arrow it is ridiculous.

5) Why don't they call the Flash? Audiences aren't dumb, they understand basic logic fails in shows. By creating the Flash the showruners have created a massive problem for Arrow. Season three had no real logic to it, but the biggest fail was why didn't Oliver call in the Flash? The Flash could have stopped the League of Assassins in a matter of minutes, so the whole of the convoluted season 3 was pointless.

6)They ruined Felicity. CW writers can't write a decent romance to save their lives. That is what f**ked Laurel, stuck with that sappy Mills and Boon dialogue about feelings. Felicity was popular because she dressed down and did cool stuff in the Arrow cave.

Alas they ruined her by putting her in heels, a tight fitting dress and making her another love interest.

7)They screwed Diggle. You have an ex special forces guy, so why send out people like Laurel to fight when he is available? Once again logic fail.

I am not saying the Arrow season one was a perfect or a great show. It was still a soapy CW show full of models, but it was more interesting than what we have now and wish they had kept it like that.

CW you failed this show (sorry had to).
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎