Collapse
No announcement yet.

Krypton #1.1 "Pilot"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've now seen Superman's cape more in Krypton than we did in Smallville, already.

Comment

Brainiac!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
        We've now seen Superman's cape more in Krypton than we did in Smallville, already.
        That's for sure!

Comment

So, weirdly, the cape thing reminds me of the rose from Beauty And The Beast...

Comment

.... I think it's over already. At 10:50. Huh?

Anyway, let's let this be the episode thread now... what did you think?

Comment

The statues are also in Kara's Fortress on Supergirl!
              nice!

Comment

I guess so, I was just wondering that myself.

I really liked it...and if I may expound -

Honestly, I have not been even remotely excited about anything DC since, well, the end of SV. I've had a major battle with it, especially in the film world. Not a fan of MoS or BvS.

THIS show, however, has started to bring back those feelings I'd have whenever we did see anything remotely Super on SV and it reminds me that no matter what, I will always be a Superman fan despite lots of recent setbacks. I'm so excited to see where this goes.

SO many hints from prior and current Supes worlds, I loved it.

Comment

I was watching it, and didn't have time to be on here and watch it at the same time. Sorry about that.

so far, it was a excellent premiere. Both my boyfriend and I thought they overdid the promos today though... with how much they were constantly force-feeding the promos down viewer's throats he predicted that the show was going to suck. He was pleasantly surprised.

I thought they overdid it with the bit where they literally forced the entire family to watch their Father/Grandfather be executed. And they wonder why the former El Family might become radicalized?? It's funny.. all this superior tech, etc and they don't seem to have any common sense. heh. Still, I suppose the El family would still get radicalized regardless of whenever they were forced to watch or not.

and I'm loving how culturally different Krypton already is compared to Earth. This is the kind of stuff I live for.

Comment

Originally posted by WickedJenn
                    I guess so, I was just wondering that myself.

I really liked it...and if I may expound -

Honestly, I have not been even remotely excited about anything DC since, well, the end of SV. I've had a major battle with it, especially in the film world. Not a fan of MoS or BvS.

THIS show, however, has started to bring back those feelings I'd have whenever we did see anything remotely Super on SV and it reminds me that no matter what, I will always be a Superman fan despite lots of recent setbacks. I'm so excited to see where this goes.

SO many hints from prior and current Supes worlds, I loved it.
                    For awhile The Flash reminded me of Smallville but like Clark, Barry often is running in circles, figuratively and sometimes literally..recycled plots too. I will be interested to see what this show is like when I finally get the chance to see it

Comment

I liked it more than I thought it would. Initially I wasn't too thrilled about an episode featuring Superman's grandfather, but the writers did a good job of taking the House of El in a different place. I also liked the fact that as out of place as this show is, it's dealing with some real life themes from the present. That was good writing.

The one thing I felt was a bit overdone was Seg watching tragedy unfold before him. I think this hero trope has been done to death (no pun): "The hero must watch his parents (and grandparent in this instance) die before he rises to become who he's meant to be". It's not like Seg was lacking motivation anyway. All in all, I liked the storyline of Adam Strange warning him about a future threat and how it ties to Superman and Brainiac. It was a smart way to keep casual fans who follow Superman canon loosely hooked.

Hopefully the romantic stuff will be kept at a minimum. After all, it's what's caused serious problems for other DC shows currently on the air. And hopefully Seg's relationships with Nyssa and Lyta-Zod won't turn into a love triangle.

Speaking of, if hes born, I wonder if "Cor-Vex" will wind up being Jor-El. According to something I found online, Jor-El was born in a genesis chamber and was sired from Se(y)g-El and an unnamed woman. So I think it's still early days to speculate on whether Nyssa is Jor-El's mother. By the way, do Kryptonians who live on Krypton live longer than humans? I heard that this show takes place 200 years before Superman is born. Which means Seg-El and Jor-El go on to live for over 100 years?

Are the Zods we saw supposed to be the General's ancestors?

The visuals of this show, the premiere's anyway, were amazing. It really felt like it was taking place on another planet, even during the scenes at the slums. Some of the design and architecture harkened back to Snyder's Superman movies, although I highly doubt Krypton shares the same universe as those movies. And even if that was Goyer's intention, WB probably forced him to change his plans after they decided to distance themselves from the Snyderverse.

7.5/10. Very good pilot. Now the key part will be how the show movies along each week and how much it stalls.

Comment

There's an old familiar face!

Hey, if Seg gets married to Nyssa, he and Oliver Queen will have wives with the same first name!
                        Even a faux crossover wedding can't change the truth!

Comment

I told myself a while back I wasn’t going to watch this. Well I recorded it. Just finished watching it and I have to say, I liked it. I’m going to really give this one a shot.

Comment

What a great episode. The show already looks it will be a great series. Hopefully this will live up to David S. Goyer words that it will run for 7 or 8 seasons.

Comment

I liked it a lot. It provided me with the two main things necessary to keep me coming back to a show:
                              1. Generally good casting, in terms of providing actors who I find likeable and/or interesting, and want to watch more of (of course, need generally good writing and characterization, but no show will always be well-written all the time, so if I at least feel some kind of emotional connection to the actors/characters then I can get through the weak spots - within limits of course)
                              2. Enough mysteries, or questions if you will, that I want answers to.

I only had two nitpicks:
                              1. I personally don't like overly monochromatic tones used for the environment, the external and interior aspects of the buildings, and everyone's clothing. (I guess the red stripes on the Sags' uniforms were the one "bright" spot...). For me, the problem with that color-scheme choice is that things lose definition visually, and everything seems "vague" and to be in danger of running together and blending into everything else, which can make it visually boring and also a little fatiguing to look at, trying to understand how various elements in the scene are either connected or separated. I'm not saying that an overly bright look would work either - I mean, ultimately this is a serious, dystopian world and the monochromatic look reflects that to an extent - but I guess I'd just like something with a little more variety in color scheme. However I'm sure that I'm in the minority with that viewpoint, in which case I can understand why they would go with this look if it's going to be most popular and well-received.

2. I thought the whole sequence where Seg's mom stole the flying vehicle and took him to the Fortress, and then got found out etc, was a bit too simplistic. I guess I thought his mom would have been smart enough to anticipate how easy (apparently) it would be for her "treachery" to be found out, and it also didn't totally make sense to me that she could wipe the ship of all data so they wouldn't know Seg had been there, but at the same time they could pick up, from the ship, info that 2 people had been on the vehicle.

Comment

Did anyone else struggle to remember the names of the characters?

Can't say the episode caught my attention much. In less than 45 minutes, they're trying to introduce too many characters (making matters worse, with the exeption of Adam Strange, they all have alien names), backstory for the House of El, the premise for the show/season, Kryptonian society and a time traveler. You know, there used to be a time, when TV pilots (especially for sci-fi shows) were 90 minutes long. Did we really need the scene with Seg and that woman going to have their DNA tested (harvested?)? All I took from the scene is "how bad Kryptonian society is, because we no longer expect women to become pregnant and give birth to babies". The objections seems to come more from a technophobic attitude from the writers. Technology that changes things, are always met with suspicion from older people.

Krypton society is a dystopia, ruled by a class system (because a technologically advanced society would totally not have abolished such things) and overseen by religious doctorine (again, something that would've been abolished or, at least, weakened, as society became more advanced).

The time travel aspect makes the show feel a bit like Star Trek Enterprise. Here's a prequel, but we've thrown in some time travel, because we don't trust the premise of a show set on Krypton to be able to stand on its own two feet. I can also see it getting annoying. Adam standing around and talking about "Superman" (whom we'll never see) and how this and that will be important in the future. He meets the Zods and is all "one of their descendents will become General Zod, an enemy of Superman". He comes across something relating to Doomsday and is all "ah, man. One day Superman is going to face that thing. There'll be this big fight and Superman dies, but he'll come back to life". Phantom Zone, bottle city of Kandor, Argo City, etc, etc..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎