No announcement yet.

Krypton #1.1 "Pilot"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jon-el87
    Did anyone else struggle to remember the names of the characters?
    I wish I had the luxury of trying to remember them! I couldn't understand what they were saying when they said most of the names (except Adam Strange)- I think b/c, as you mentioned, they were alien names. I put on closed caption briefly at one point, so I did get the "Lyta-Zod" name but that was it. Hoping I pick up more as the show goes on.

Did we really need the scene with Seg and that woman going to have their DNA tested (harvested?)? All I took from the scene is "how bad Kryptonian society is, because we no longer expect women to become pregnant and give birth to babies". The objections seems to come more from a technophobic attitude from the writers. Technology that changes things, are always met with suspicion from older people.
    Interesting points. At this point in the show, I was still trying to figure out what Seg-El's new last name was going to be (was it Vex? it sounded like that) so I got distracted at the very beginning of the "destiny-of-your-future-offspring" scene when they said the name of the kid and it wasn't "Jor-El." So I thought maybe the point was that, b/c this kid wasn't going to be called Jor-El, and we know that Kal-El's dad is Jor-El, it was a way of letting us know that Seg-El doesn't end up marrying that blonde woman...

The time travel aspect makes the show feel a bit like Star Trek Enterprise. Here's a prequel, but we've thrown in some time travel, because we don't trust the premise of a show set on Krypton to be able to stand on its own two feet. I can also see it getting annoying. Adam standing around and talking about "Superman" (whom we'll never see) and how this and that will be important in the future. He meets the Zods and is all "one of their descendents will become General Zod, an enemy of Superman". He comes across something relating to Doomsday and is all "ah, man. One day Superman is going to face that thing. There'll be this big fight and Superman dies, but he'll come back to life". Phantom Zone, bottle city of Kandor, Argo City, etc, etc..

I liked the time traveler, mostly b/c I like the idea of a mystery about what happens in the future that leads Adam to travel back, how does he travel back, and what are they supposed to do to change it? But if the execution of that storyline is poor then agree, it could be very annoying. On a side note, I found myself obsessing over the slowly-disappearing-cape gimmick b/c - I know it's stupid of me - but assuming that the point of the whole series will be Seg doing something in order to save future Superman, and hoping that the series is good and lasts for several years, then I don't want to spend several years watching a cape slowly disappear...until near the end of the series when he saves future Superman and the cape stops disintegrating. (Well, it probably won't play out that way, but that is something I will dread having to watch if it comes to pass, lol)

Comment

I wanted to hate the pilot but, I couldn’t. I enjoyed the premiere.

It kept my interest and I wanted to know what this show would be all about. Well, It seems that the story will focus on how Seg rebuilds “The House of El” to its formal glory and maybe how the Zods become villains to the Els.

I loved the world building of Krypton. There’s so much more they can mine with a weekly series than a 2-hour movie could ever do; especially when we’ve only ever gotten the destruction of the planet so many countless times. In just one episode they already established that Krypton civilization had a class system made up of Guilds (so far: Military, Lawmakers, and Science). Then there was the Fortress of Solitude (The Superman theme was used twice) that wasn’t only a representation of the planet that was, It was also a place that Val-El could do his research and the reason for his death.

I do agree that the death of Val-El was more than enough motivation for Seg to rebuild the ‘House of El’, we didn’t need his parents to die too in the first episode. What is "Black Zero"?

Anyway...

The Seg and Lyta relationship will be an interesting development because we all know where that leads. The love triangle trope is an unfortunate thing with any series but, hopefully Nyssa (yet another Nyssa; at least it’s not Martha #3 ) will be gone before it gets to that point. Though I’m curious about which one of these ladies becomes Jor-El’s mom and if neither one, who? I mean Jor-El could turn out to be half Zod.

As for Adam Strange... Why does he keep appearing and disappearing? I’m not sure why his mere presence doesn’t already begin to change the future (for better or worse) and not to mention he’s already let slip about Seg’s grandson and Brianiac.

Again, it was a good premiere. It’s a little late for me to watch live but, I’ll continue DVRing the show.
      Last edited by darkphoenix21; 03-23-2018, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
        As for Adam Strange... Why does he keep appearing and disappearing?
        Seeing as he's Adam Strange, he's probably traveled to Krypton, thanks to the Zeta-Beam (I assume, based on the comics). Once the effect of the beam wears off, he's sent back to his point of origin (modern day Earth). Of course, this is something they should've explained in the episode, because I've seen several people get confused about this. They probably will in future episodes, but it's a concept that should've been explained, the first time we encounter it.

What is "Black Zero"?
        It appears to be some group, that opposes the current government on Krypton. We don't know anything more about them (another reason why you'd need a two hour pilot).

Comment

They explain the Zeta Beam more effectively in Episode 2.

Comment

I really didn't think I would like this show. I'm a big fan of the El family tree, and they didn't use the versions of them that I wanted to see. However, the first episode blew me away. I'm hooked! I think that hole left in my sole from the loss of Smallville may be getting just a little smaller!

Comment

What is "Black Zero"?
              Must be a rebel group from the comics because they were also mentioned in Smallville's ninth season flashback episode where Kandor gets destroyed. Zod rallies his troops naming the enemy as "Black Zero"

Comment

There have been a couple Black Zeros over the years in comics. The first was a terrorist organization that was ultimately responsible for Krypton's destruction. In the new continuity they were an elite fighting force in the kryptonian military, lead by Ursa.

Comment

Finally had a chance to see the Pilot, and I'm already in love with the show, its world-building, and its characters.

I'm probably one of the few people out in the world who reveres SyFy's single-season BSG prequel Caprica, and Krypton very much reminds me of that show, albeit mashed up with Man of Steel. The show also reminds me of SyFy's Defiance, authors Frank Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson, and Brian Herbert's Dune, and author Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn: The Final Empire.

The fact that we've never really gotten a whole lot of information about the world and society of Krypton means that the writers/producers are basically working with a blank canvas, but I also like that David S. Goyer pulled in design elements and mythos-based concepts from Man of Steel, grounding the familiar and the unfamiliar together in a way that lets the series lean on its source material while simultaneously breaking new ground with stuff like the House of Vex and the Voice of Rao.

I also really like the time travel element of the series and the inclusion of Adam Strange, especially since he seems to have come back in time from a point BEFORE he gets transported from Earth to Rann, which opens a whole wealth of future storytelling possibilities.

The rest of the major characters are also really intriguing, especially Seg, Lyta, and Nyssa, who reminds me a little bit of the comics version of Talia al Ghul and Arrow's version of Nyssa al Ghul, which is deliciously appropriate.

Even the show's secondary antagonists, Daron-Vex and Jayna-Zod, are intriguing, and I can't wait to see what they do once the "Collector of Worlds", Brainiac, arrives.

Speaking of Brainiac, I don't think he's the threat from the future that Adam Strange mentioned at the end of the episode, even though that's the implication the writers were trying to send.

All in all, I though the Pilot was really well-done on almost every level, and can't wait to see how things progress.
                  Last edited by DigificWriter; 04-13-2018, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎