0 0%
  • 1 - Bad, Iris, Bad

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Run, Iris, Run?"

What did you think?

Board Master
    I watch The Flash for The Flash, not anything else. This episode is an example of that. If there was an episode I was dreading the most it was this one. Good thing there are repeats after this one.

Mad Man with a Box! HalJordan4184's Avatar
    I'm still not sure how to take this whole, Iris is the leader of Team Flash thing. She's the the second most junior member there, and her only skill seems to be, Barry married her. She's a character without much to do, and at least that was referenced here. The whole plot with Iris being called out for always being safe, was kind of forced, since an entire season was dedicated to saving Iris from the very real danger they all face "in universe" essentially every episode. Iris has gone into the field. It was just bad filler to me.

I couldn't watch the episode last night because I was out so I was it this morning and I was dreading it solely because of the "Iris is trash" fan backlash that always seems to surround her character. Thankfully it wasn't near as bad as folks were making it out to be, though the acting from some of the other characters was cringe-inducing. At the same time I do like it a bit when Barry takes a break and sits on the sidelines when it comes to plot resolution, even though he is the title character of the show.

I do, however, like how the episode addressed some of Iris' character shilling and her job that she doesn't seem to be at, because she quit. Also the whole "you don't go into the field Iris" thing from Ralph was hard to stomach considering she's been out there lots of times previously, especially last season when she was the one who put a bullet in Savitar.

I liked last night's episode. It shows that heroes can exist in every form and those of us without super powers can still make a difference in the world in our own little way. I am concerned however because the episode also showed that without his powers, Barry is basically nothing. The writers may want to remedy that by making him more competent because without Iris, he really isn't the Flash. He is just a guy with superspeed.

Not as good as last week's but it so far holds the promise that the show is picking up once again. My only recommendation is that they get rid of STAR Labs and let the real world exist. I'm not able to take Barry serious when he's depending so much on people telling him what to do, he's grown and should be making his own informed decisions

ps. get rid of Ralph, who cares if Devoe takes him. Good riddance I say!

This ep had a lot of good and bad stuff in it.

The good:
    They addressed some of the annoying character shilling that Iris often got, that made her seem so annoying to fans. and the fact that she actually didn't have much to do other than tell people what to do. She actually did feel very relatable to me in some of the scenes.
    I liked the fact that the speed-force seemed to work differently for her, and that Barry also got to be the one to inspire her and tell her what to do. It does get annoying when it's one-sided like that, so it was nice that they flipped the table here for once.
    It was nice to see Iris and Barry get some time together where they bonded a little bit without seeming so forced.

The bad:
    It did feel awkward that Ralph called her out for not putting herself in danger... because as everyone else pointed out, there was that whole thing with saivitar last season.
    I think it would've been better if he simply called her out for literally being that person who didn't do anything but sit on her butt bossing everyone else around. If they focused a little bit more on that then maybe it would had seemed more justified that Ralph got to call her out like that. At least Iris got to point out that she did go though some of what Ralph was dealing with.

As others pointed out... There was the fact that Barry seemed to be useless. I don't like it when the story implies that he was a useless nobody without superpowers or his job. I wish he had been given something to do besides just inspire Iris while she had his super-speed.

Quote Originally Posted by HalJordan4184 View Post
    I'm still not sure how to take this whole, Iris is the leader of Team Flash thing. She's the the second most junior member there, and her only skill seems to be, Barry married her.
    Don't forget her super amazing ability to wear increasingly low-cut tops.

They have absolutely butchered her character. If I were Candice Patton, I would cringe every time they handed me a new script or outfit. She has some range as an actor. She deserves better than this nonsense.

I'm also growing more and more frustrated with how formulaic every one of these shows has become. Every episode feels the same.

1: Weird thing happens.

2: Problem causes hero to doubt themselves or keep secrets from each other.

3: One person walks up to another person in the hallway so they can have a conversation about some made up dramatic conflict. One of the characters walks off screen, leaving things unresolved that could probably be resolved by simply extending the conversation.

4: Someone gets a pep talk.

5: Those same people from 3 have the second half of their conversation, which ends with them slurping each other.

6: Stinger teasing what's next.

I'm honestly bored with it. I am so tired of the, "Hey, can we talk for a minute?" conversations. I groan every time now.

Can anything be chalked up as a "weird thing" anymore, given that the characters and the audience have seen all kinds of things in the last 4 years, from speedsters to teleporters to time travel to homicidal gorillas? It does seem like there's a manufactured emotional or personal "conflict" going on every episode, with most of them not being relevant to the plot or season at large, though it does give time for some character development when there's no action.

Also, even if Barry has no powers or his job, doesn't he still technically possess the skills of a CSI, as in knowing how to analyze things?

All of this is better than the needless melodrama from season 3, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward Galaxy View Post
    Don't forget her super amazing ability to wear increasingly low-cut tops.

They have absolutely butchered her character. If I were Candice Patton, I would cringe every time they handed me a new script or outfit. She has some range as an actor. She deserves better than this nonsense.

I'm also growing more and more frustrated with how formulaic every one of these shows has become. Every episode feels the same.

1: Weird thing happens.

2: Problem causes hero to doubt themselves or keep secrets from each other.

3: One person walks up to another person in the hallway so they can have a conversation about some made up dramatic conflict. One of the characters walks off screen, leaving things unresolved that could probably be resolved by simply extending the conversation.

4: Someone gets a pep talk.

5: Those same people from 3 have the second half of their conversation, which ends with them slurping each other.

6: Stinger teasing what's next.

I'm honestly bored with it. I am so tired of the, "Hey, can we talk for a minute?" conversations. I groan every time now.
    No doubt that they have totally butchered Iris character. I mean, I was all for giving her more to do than just being there for Barry's wife, but they pushed her to the moon in record time without us seeing her growth. I mean, I rather she kept her job as a reporter and seeing her climb to the top there, than being promoted from nothing to team leader overnight....that's pretty dumb to me. Why is she team leader in the first place? Oh, I know why...it's for her to seem really important to the team. She's the least experienced so no way she should be team leader. I'm all for her helping the team, but she doesn't deserve to be team leader.....at least not yet. Felicity, who is far more experienced in these doings than Iris, isn't team leader in Arrow..so why the need to make Iris the team captain.

Doesn't make any sense to me, but the show has been in a steady decline since the start of season 3 so whatever, lol

^ the butchering of Iris' character is a result of having a pervert like AJK in charge; with him gone, I'm sure things will settle better for her and everyone else. I cannot wait for her to dive into her journalism more, I'm hoping as a result STAR Labs will be demolished and everyone will live in the real world. And if we're honest I think everyone's characters suffered any development, everyone's character was butchered.

Also, are we still asking why Iris is team leader? I'm curious as to what skills you guys think she needs to call the shots. She's a natural born leader and possess managerial skills - how is that too much of a stretch yet we're meant to believe Cisco is skilled in sewing suits, Caitlin wears every medical hat when necessary, Harry is fine being away so long on another earth...come on. If we're going to cherry pick, let's at least make it equal. Oh and Iris is leading the team because prior to Barry went into the Speed Force she knew she had to keep running things in order to keep the city safe. She had six solid months before he came back, I'm sure her time hanging out in STAR Labs before that afforded her enough learning to get by and tell everyone what to do.

Barry for example, we have a so-called superhero that can't fend for himself, depends too much on others and lacks leadership...this after four seasons... that's why I think if they get rid of STAR Labs, they'll be able to tell better stories, there really is no need for it.
    Last edited by lola dee; 03-15-2018 at 07:00 PM.

I agree about Star Labs being a storytelling crutch here. Although I have to say that some of the character development they had for everyone so far, wasn't totally unrealistic.

I could see Iris quitting her job and then working with everyone for six months at star labs when Barry disappeared. Her reasoning for that was sound... I could see that being in-character for her. Quite frankly, I just can't see Cisco and Catlin in that leadership role. Plus from a writing viewpoint that would also utterly destroy the great friendship dynamic between Crisco and Catlin. You just cannot be best friends with your own boss without it getting weird... that isn't just how it's done. And Harry... well. He clearly isn't leadership material, he would get on everyone's nerves pretty quickly.
    Of course they could have written that there was no boss, and that the Star-labs "Business" were a equal partnership instead. But then they would still need somebody to manage the accounts and what not behind the scenes. And as Lola dee pointed out Iris does have managerial skills for that.

Truth be told, I think Iris isn't actually officially the leader.. she's just more of a honorary one because somebody had to be one and nobody else wanted to do it. So in my head-canon, it was just one of those things that everyone just went along with because nobody else wanted that position.

The main problem however, is how they've been treating Barry. The writers wanted everyone to be equally important to the story and so tried so hard to give everyone roles that they had to do.... but as an result that came at great cost to Barry's characterization. In an attempt to make Team Flash important, they made it so that Barry couldn't do anything without them.

I think Star Labs is useful to have around, but I think the writers could do well to break away from the sitcom formula they keep on using. for instance, instead of having "Team flash" be the inspirational speech giver and guidance coach for Flash... they could do well to just turn them into a full-blown team of superheroes with Barry as the leader. Star labs could be used as their headquarters, with Harry acting as the "Watchtower" the same way Chloe and Tess did in the Smallville season 11 comic book.

I think it would be great for Barry to have some development there, where he becomes the leader of a superhero team instead of being constantly guided on what to do.
    Last edited by Aurora Moon; 03-16-2018 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lola dee View Post
    Also, are we still asking why Iris is team leader? I'm curious as to what skills you guys think she needs to call the shots. She's a natural born leader and possess managerial skills - how is that too much of a stretch yet we're meant to believe Cisco is skilled in sewing suits, Caitlin wears every medical hat when necessary, Harry is fine being away so long on another earth...come on. If we're going to cherry pick, let's at least make it equal. Oh and Iris is leading the team because prior to Barry went into the Speed Force she knew she had to keep running things in order to keep the city safe. She had six solid months before he came back, I'm sure her time hanging out in STAR Labs before that afforded her enough learning to get by and tell everyone what to do.
    She needed skills like dealing with metas and experience in crime fighting. She had neither, while the likes of Cisco and Harry had both (it's why Barry looked to them to lead right before he left for the Speed Force). Being a "natural born leader and possessing managerial skills" (by the way, we saw zero evidence of all this during seasons 1-3) doesn't automatically mean she's fit to run any kind of organization. She might as well run for President if that's the case. Iris was made captain in Barry's absence because "Girl power! Hell yeah!" and because this show wanted to create its own Felicity or Sara Lance. Lets not pretend it had anything to do with anything else.

Haven't watched the show this season, so I don't even know why she remained as the leader after Barry returned from the Speed Force. Doesn't surprise me one bit though. These shows divorced themselves from common logic and realism a long time ago.
    Last edited by costas22; 03-16-2018 at 06:57 AM.

I always kind of thought that Iris was the leader of the team by default without Barry, and when he came back everyone just kinda rolled with it. Didn't seem like anyone on Team Flash had a real beef with her being in charge, and come to think of it she seems more like a "manager" than leader and I say that because she doesn't appear to be acting in a boss-type manner, but rather someone just keeping everyone together.

Also, she was at one point the closest thing we had to a Lois Lane in the show and being a reporter gave her something else to do because be stuck at home. Which still begs the question how their apartment is being paid for with neither her nor Barry having a job.

Forum Whiz
    Quote Originally Posted by AsteroidMike View Post
    I always kind of thought that Iris was the leader of the team by default without Barry, and when he came back everyone just kinda rolled with it. Didn't seem like anyone on Team Flash had a real beef with her being in charge, and come to think of it she seems more like a "manager" than leader and I say that because she doesn't appear to be acting in a boss-type manner, but rather someone just keeping everyone together.

Also, she was at one point the closest thing we had to a Lois Lane in the show and being a reporter gave her something else to do because be stuck at home. Which still begs the question how their apartment is being paid for with neither her nor Barry having a job.
    I've been saying this for a while now. Even IF Barry got a decent/reasonable amount of inheritance from his parents, that won't last indefinitely. And I don't care what anyone says, it probably takes MILLIONS of dollars per year to keep Star Labs running. His inheritance might keep their apartment rent paid, but no way in hell does that pay for a research lab.

Besides...doesn't Iris deserve a life of her own? Why must she be permanently stuck to team flash?

For those complaints about Barry not being able to think or fend for himself, I would like to point out that he successfully MacGyver'ed his way out of the meta prison complex back when he was still in jail a few episodes ago, pretty much breaking him and the other prisoners free. Mind you, with no powers or no job, just basic engineering. In fact the whole time he was in jail it was him taking care of himself, and fighting with hardened inmates.

He's also stopped time twice this season, or rather moved so fast that he can freeze the world around him, something he couldn't do before.

He also held his own against Thawne in the crossover several times, even had him dead to rights in the final part of the crossover but decided against killing him.

This is also nothing to say of him learning not to use time travel as a go-to solution all the time.
    Last edited by AsteroidMike; 03-19-2018 at 05:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast