No announcement yet.

# 4.12 "Pieces of a Broken Mirror" - SPRING PREMIERE

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• # 4.12 "Pieces of a Broken Mirror" - SPRING PREMIERE

I though this was an ok return after such a long break.

The opening felt a little busy, but managed to string everything together as the episode went on.

There were a lot of cringe-worthy moments for me, though, like:
    • The way Bruce acted inside the club. That was TERRIBLE acting.
    • The commercial for the Sirens club. Was it even necessary? It felt like a really bad joke.

The stuff with Ivy, The Toymaker, and the battered waitress felt shoehorned in with all the other plots going. Ivy seems so much darker now, I suppose I understand why they felt the need to recast.

I thought the reunions with Butch/Tabatha and Gordon and "Doc" felt too much like a soap opera. Also, I was shocked that Lee didn't get a haircut...

I didn't expect Nygma to be behind the assassination attempt, but the split personality stuff is so tired now that I couldn't care less.

I did enjoy Harvey's speech and the end, though, and I'm glad he refused the badge.

It was an ok start and I'm sure it will improve, hopefully.

What did everybody else think?
    Last edited by Aries83; 03-02-2018, 12:57 PM.

It was ok, although it felt a bit like a weak follow up to the fall finale. The reason for is that the cliffhangers we were left with revolved around Sofia's plan unraveling and Penguin meeting Jerome and this episode ignored them almost completely. I understand that they are taking the slow burn approach but when a show is gone for 3 months, you expect the spring premiere to be a bit more eventful. Although to be fair to the writers, they didn't choose for this huge hiatus.

Anyway, I didn't expect the Nygma twist either. That was clever writing in its plan and execution. Ed is always more interesting when he's dealing with his inner darkness. More of that and less pining over Lee. A pretty short stay for the Toy Maker. Probably because they didn't want people to think they were creating a Toyman ripoff.

Speaking of Lee, admittedly I'm biased, but I just can't buy her storyline as Narrows leader seriously. It just comes across cheesy and forced. I do appreciate that she's drama free nowdays (even when she's talking to Jim!). I would just like to see her involved with something that feels natural for her.

Loved the new Ivy! What can I say, I have a soft spot for Peyton List. The way they've went about it was wrong, but they might have finally nailed the right tone with Ivy.

The Alfred stuff was interesting as a one off. I would like to see him back at Wayne Manor sooner rather than later though.

The last scene indeed was very powerful and you can tell Harvey is really hurt by how Gordon took his job. Harvey should remember that he has his own skeletons in the closet as well though.

On a minor note, I was impressed by the directing at the start of the episode and how one character was appearing after the other in the same place even though their storylines were different.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
      I didn't expect the Nygma twist either. That was clever writing in its plan and execution. Ed is always more interesting when he's dealing with his inner darkness. More of that and less pining over Lee.
      I agree, but—at this point—they need to stop going back and forth between the two extremes. His character has become so stunted.

Speaking of Lee, admittedly I'm biased, but I just can't buy her storyline as Narrows leader seriously. It just comes across cheesy and forced. I do appreciate that she's drama free nowdays (even when she's talking to Jim!). I would just like to see her involved with something that feels natural for her.
      Well, I blame the wig!... I just can't take her that seriously when she's wearing it. It distracts me. Also, why hasn't she renamed Cherry's? Any good criminal in Gotham knows how to re-brand. Call her place "Doc's." I don't mind the storyline, though. Down the line—after her clinic becomes well-known—having a little "street cred" (running your own gang for a time) in your past will tell future criminals to let her be.

Loved the new Ivy! What can I say, I have a soft spot for Peyton List. The way they've went about it was wrong, but they might have finally nailed the right tone with Ivy.
      I agree (about the tone), but that scene with the plants being exposed to gas and her reaction to it was just weird (and unnecessary). They can save that for a standalone episode.

The Alfred stuff was interesting as a one off. I would like to see him back at Wayne Manor sooner rather than later though.
      Me too. They need to put "Bratty Bruce" out of his misery. I don't like it at all.

The last scene indeed was very powerful and you can tell Harvey is really hurt by how Gordon took his job.
      Yeah, but a change of scenery might be good for him. I can buy Bullock as a bar owner. Plus, Harper seems to have become Gordon's right hand, which is fine.

On a minor note, I was impressed by the directing at the start of the episode and how one character was appearing after the other in the same place even though their storylines were different.
      Yeah, that really helped to get the episode going. Can't wait to see what Penguin's been up to next week...
      Last edited by Aries83; 03-02-2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries83
        I agree, but—at this point—they need to stop going back and forth between the two extremes. His character has become so stunted.
        Agreed. I think they are just stalling at this point because they realized that in previous seasons (especially the 2nd one) he became The Riddler too soon for their liking. It's also a bit silly that the likes of Lee and Jim are giving him second chances because they know full well what he did to Miss Kringle.

Well, I blame the wig!... I just can't take her that seriously when she's wearing it. It distracts me.
        I'm so naive I actually thought she had grown her hair that long. Morena has nice hair, so I'm not sure what the deal behind the wig is...

Me too. They need to put "Bratty Bruce" out of his misery. I don't like it at all.
        Definitely. Looks like he will get his wake up call next week. And hopefully Ra's will reappear sooner rather than later. I mean, surely the writers remember that scene he had with Barbara in prison when he appeared to transfer something to her?

Yeah, but a change of scenery might be good for him. I can buy Bullock as a bar owner. Plus, Harper seems to have become Gordon's right hand, which is fine.
        Of course, it works for now. I'd just like to see an honest discussion between Jim and Harvey at some point because it suddenly feels like Harvey is the one with an ax to grind. He does, but he should also sympathize with the fact that just like he had to do shady things to protect Gotham, so did Gordon.

Comment

I think they are just stalling at this point because they realized that in previous seasons (especially the 2nd one) he became The Riddler too soon for their liking.
          I thought his evolution up to the point you're talking about was fine. Hopefully, he'll get a new storyline before the season is over. Otherwise, if I were Corey Michael Smith, I'd probably bail.

It's also a bit silly that the likes of Lee and Jim are giving him second chances because they know full well what he did to Miss Kringle.
          Yep, there will always be an elephant in the room...

Morena has nice hair, so I'm not sure what the deal behind the wig is...
          It's to remind us that she's a bad girl. It reminds me of THIS scene from A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors.

Lee Thompkins has long hair. She's beautiful...and BAD!

hopefully Ra's will reappear sooner rather than later. I mean, surely the writers remember that scene he had with Barbara in prison when he appeared to transfer something to her?
          Yeah, I'm still wondering what's up with that. Also, Alexander Siddig is still being listed as a guest star in the credits.

Comment

Welcome back, Gotham, I almost thought they forgot about the show since it's been like 3 months.

Good episode to back on things, though I did miss some of the previous episode. Interesting plot twist with Nygma being the bad guy who ordered a hit on Lee and not knowing it, didn't predict that at all. But the scene with Gordon and Harvey "talking" was pretty powerful, nice to see Harvey and he's clearly unhappy with Jim trying to get him back on the force, although to be fair Harvey did botch that job terribly in the episode where Jim officially replaced him.

Regarding Bruce, I've never wanted to punch him in the face harder than I did during the episode, though him sitting in the club with two chicks on his side seems so in-character for the Bruce Wayne we've all seen in comics, TV and movies. Still he's an immense dick.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎