0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - It was a trial to have to watch this.
    0%

"The Flash" meets "Law and Order"

Obvious joke aside, I was certain Barry wasn't be found innocent by episode's end, it would be too quick and anti-climatic.

Comment

There were about 12 seconds of that I enjoyed, and it was when Wells and Cisco got Caitlin to change into KF by blaming her for killing all the puppies. Everything else was garbage.

Comment

I do admit it was hard to enjoy watching this, when I knew that he was going to be found guilty even if he was innocent of this crime. Everything was just so predictable.

but at the same time this was kind of necessary to advance the plot forward, and give everyone a little bit of character development. So I was willing to forgive how utterly predictable and boring most of this ep was. At least with Law and Order, people weren't spoiled ahead of time about the outcome. Thus they would actually enjoy law and order more than they did this episode.

But I'll be generous and give this a 6/10 rating. After all... while it wasn't 100% horrible.. it also wasn't great. It was so-so.

Comment

Meanwhile, Wally West wasn't seen or mentioned at all...lol It's sad how badly they have butchered Wally's character ever since he came out of the Speed Force prison, late last season. At this point, they mind as well just ship him off to Legends of Tomorrow or something because it just feels like he's a lost cause in Central City at this point.

Comment

This should have been titled Trial of Barry Allen since he's on trial and not the Flash.

Comment

I was surprised by how he winds up in what was presumably Henry's first cell, since we see him in a different one earlier in the series. An upcoming episode is supposed to introduce someone with a past connection to Henry, so that will be cool. I also liked how they referenced Barry's craziness from the season opener...but they still haven't addressed why he was out of it to begin with. The Speed Force's manifestation of Nora specifically said "Barry's not going to hell" in last year's finale...so why was our hero mentally unstable when they pulled him out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                At least with Law and Order, people weren't spoiled ahead of time about the outcome. Thus they would actually enjoy law and order more than they did this episode.
                For me, Law and Order was always more enjoyable because it focused less on melodrama and more on solving cases and the intricacies of a criminal prosecution. While I'm sure they took creative liberties on that show, I know that they had paid experts from law enforcement and trial attorneys who advised the writers how such things are done in the real world. The investigations and trials came across as real, at least to a layman like myself. One of the biggest flaws from all of these CW superhero series is that none of it feels real. And we know it's not the actors, because they have freakin' Jesse L. Martin. He was only Detective Ed Green on Law and Order for about 200 episodes. He could play this stuff in his sleep, backwards, and upside down.

Barry's trial came across as weak fan fiction, at best. There was almost no presentation of evidence. Barry's a CSI for goodness' sake. You're going to tell me, on trial for his life, he wouldn't have some idea about how to process the crime scene to prove it was a setup? No one asked Barry for his alibi. There was almost no mention of motive. They know DeVoe and his wife were in cahoots with Katee Sackhoff's character, but they made no attempt to investigate that connection, trace phone records, or even have Iris wear a wire when talking to the wife. Not to mention the fact that their entire defense was basically "he's a sweet guy". That's not how the law works.

And what's with the judge, who looked about 100, saying how in all his years as a judge, he's never seen such a horrible act or some such nonsense? Are you kidding me? Has that judge been sitting in traffic court? Just a day or two ago, I was listening to a news report about a couple who had 13 emaciated children chained up in their house. Even if Barry did kill DeVoe, he was investigating a series of crimes. A police officer killing someone he thinks is guilty of horrible crimes, but can't prove it, is not some heinous betrayal of all that is good and decent. At its absolute worst, it's vigilantism that went too far.

I realize they're on a budget. I realize getting police work and trials 100% real world accurate probably isn't their top priority. But could they at least binge watch a few Law and Order episodes first? Maybe even just lift straight from that show. There's only about 1000 episodes between the original and all of the spinoffs. I'm sure one involves a police officer being framed for a murder they didn't commit.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                  For me, Law and Order was always more enjoyable because it focused less on melodrama and more on solving cases and the intricacies of a criminal prosecution. While I'm sure they took creative liberties on that show, I know that they had paid experts from law enforcement and trial attorneys who advised the writers how such things are done in the real world. The investigations and trials came across as real, at least to a layman like myself. One of the biggest flaws from all of these CW superhero series is that none of it feels real. And we know it's not the actors, because they have freakin' Jesse L. Martin. He was only Detective Ed Green on Law and Order for about 200 episodes. He could play this stuff in his sleep, backwards, and upside down.

Barry's trial came across as weak fan fiction, at best. There was almost no presentation of evidence. Barry's a CSI for goodness' sake. You're going to tell me, on trial for his life, he wouldn't have some idea about how to process the crime scene to prove it was a setup? No one asked Barry for his alibi. There was almost no mention of motive. They know DeVoe and his wife were in cahoots with Katee Sackhoff's character, but they made no attempt to investigate that connection, trace phone records, or even have Iris wear a wire when talking to the wife. Not to mention the fact that their entire defense was basically "he's a sweet guy". That's not how the law works.

And what's with the judge, who looked about 100, saying how in all his years as a judge, he's never seen such a horrible act or some such nonsense? Are you kidding me? Has that judge been sitting in traffic court? Just a day or two ago, I was listening to a news report about a couple who had 13 emaciated children chained up in their house. Even if Barry did kill DeVoe, he was investigating a series of crimes. A police officer killing someone he thinks is guilty of horrible crimes, but can't prove it, is not some heinous betrayal of all that is good and decent. At its absolute worst, it's vigilantism that went too far.

I realize they're on a budget. I realize getting police work and trials 100% real world accurate probably isn't their top priority. But could they at least binge watch a few Law and Order episodes first? Maybe even just lift straight from that show. There's only about 1000 episodes between the original and all of the spinoffs. I'm sure one involves a police officer being framed for a murder they didn't commit.
                  Reading a lot of tweets from last night, I definitely get what they and you are saying regarding the case and how quick the trial was. I do agree that Iris wearing a wire or recording Marlize during their confrontation outside the courtroom would've been the smart thing to do, and saved them a bit trouble.

At the same time though, there's really not much Barry and co. have that could've proven his innocence. They actually don't know DeVoe is working with Katee Sackhoff (Amunet) so naturally they don't have any actual evidence of this, in fact we didn't know this until the end of the previous episode, all she said was she "had an important buyer." I also don't think he can prove to the court it was a setup, his DNA was mentioned as being on everything, the complaints and restraining order mentioned were legitimate, although I will agree that no real motive was brought up. Phone records won't work either because all team Flash would hear is Dominic's voice, not DeVoe's and none of them would be able to fully explain how he did a mind body transfer.

And speaking of Jesse L. Martin, I really did like the scene where he and Ralph were about to plant evidence and then Ralph basically goes on a detailed list of how that's not gonna work in his favor. Gotta appreciate him of all people being the bigger man in that instance.

Comment

Originally posted by AsteroidMike
                    At the same time though, there's really not much Barry and co. have that could've proven his innocence. They actually don't know DeVoe is working with Katee Sackhoff (Amunet) so naturally they don't have any actual evidence of this, in fact we didn't know this until the end of the previous episode, all she said was she "had an important buyer."
                    The guy Amunet kidnapped is the same guy DeVoe put his brain into.

They know.

I also don't think he can prove to the court it was a setup, his DNA was mentioned as being on everything, the complaints and restraining order mentioned were legitimate, although I will agree that no real motive was brought up. Phone records won't work either because all team Flash would hear is Dominic's voice, not DeVoe's and none of them would be able to fully explain how he did a mind body transfer.
                    My issue isn't with the failure of these methods, it's with the lack of an attempt. Joe jumps right to trying to break into DeVoe's house to frame him, but never pulls their LUDs? At the time of the "murder", Barry wasn't murdering DeVoe, which means he was somewhere else. No one asks him where he was. No one brings up the reason why Barry was after DeVoe in the first place. No one tries to recover the floaty chair that fell into the river or lake or whatever, or even just investigate that general area. DeVoe's body gets into Barry's apartment somehow, and someone plunged the knife into his chest. They don't measure the angle of the stab wound to see if it was self-inflicted. They don't check for Marlize's fingerprints to see if she helped him break in, or was there when it happened. They don't call the new DeVoe to testify. The "best lawyer in town" did no work. Her entire argument was based on Barry being a nice guy and that photograph that she didn't even have until Joe and Ralph took it.

I'm fine if DeVoe covered all his bases. I'm fine if they attempted all of these things and came up empty. In fact, showing us that would make DeVoe look even more formidable as a foe, because it would show how smart he is to have accounted for all of that. This trial didn't feel like DeVoe outsmarted them. It felt like they're a bunch of stupid morons who couldn't convince a thirsty man to take a sip of water.

Comment

It does seem like there's plenty of logical routes they could had taken, huh? But that's the CW for you. They would rather keep thing simple and stupid.

Comment

My main frustration was having to sit through yet another vapid metahuman takedown instead of the episode focusing on crafting a compelling trial. Worse, the team couldn't solve the problem without Barry and pulled him out of trial, but when he got there, he had to obtain step-by-step instructions like normal.

I'm also uncertain why Cisco couldn't just portal Kryptonite Man somewhere. They said something about him detonating while going through the portal, which would be disastrous, but it's apparently okay to send all the energy through anyway. Of course, I don't remember Cisco ever actually learning to create portals. It just seemed like something he was suddenly good at (after Flashpoint, maybe). Thus, I also don't recall ever learning anything about the nature of these portals.

So Barry was arrested, tried, and convicted within a month? I guess it's fitting that Central City has the fastest court system ever seen.

The trial was a joke, but it didn't bother me too much because I wasn't expecting much from this show and network.

Cecile was a remarkably terrible defense lawyer.

I'm so thrilled Barry learned a new power so he could have a dramatic conversation with Iris in the middle of the trial.

I applaud Barry's willingness to be subject to the law, but my mind kept drifting back to him not leaving the scene of the crime in the first place. It might have helped his alibi if he hadn't been found standing over the dead body. I'm sure DeVoe had some contingency, but still.

Speaking of DeVoe, I already miss the old actor. The new guy doesn't hold a candle.

On the bright side, with Barry in prison, maybe we'll have a few less scenes where Iris wraps her arms around his neck while they talk.

"Henry Allen was here." Is this a prison cell or a high school bathroom?

Another week, and Caitlin and Ralph still aren't dating. What a disgrace to this show and this network.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
                          Another week, and Caitlin and Ralph still aren't dating. What a disgrace to this show and this network.
                          Hey! I like Ralph. I don't want him to die or turn evil. Keep Caitlin away.

Comment

The guy Amunet kidnapped is the same guy DeVoe put his brain into.

They know.
                            No, they don't. In fact Amunet wasn't mentioned in the episode at all, it's still a mystery.

My issue isn't with the failure of these methods, it's with the lack of an attempt. Joe jumps right to trying to break into DeVoe's house to frame him, but never pulls their LUDs?
                            Like I said, phone calls won't work because Barry will be found talking to Dominic, not the previous DeVoe.

At the time of the "murder", Barry wasn't murdering DeVoe, which means he was somewhere else. No one asks him where he was. No one brings up the reason why Barry was after DeVoe in the first place.
                            All factually true, I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned.

No one tries to recover the floaty chair that fell into the river or lake or whatever, or even just investigate that general area.
                            That's because DeVoe already recovered it. Remember at the end of the previous episode, he was shown using it right before he transferred his mind into Dominic.

DeVoe's body gets into Barry's apartment somehow, and someone plunged the knife into his chest. They don't measure the angle of the stab wound to see if it was self-inflicted. They don't check for Marlize's fingerprints to see if she helped him break in, or was there when it happened.
                            Again, they said all the DNA evidence has Barry written all over it, they found nothing connecting her to it at all.

They don't call the new DeVoe to testify.
                            Umm, why? As far as the court knows there is no new DeVoe, there's just Marlize. Dominic is just some random person as far as they're concerned and even if Team Flash blurted out that DeVoe transferred his mind to him they'd have absolutely no way of proving that.

The "best lawyer in town" did no work. Her entire argument was based on Barry being a nice guy and that photograph that she didn't even have until Joe and Ralph took it.
                            Yeah, I tend to agree but in all fairness even she admitted the evidence was too damning for Barry.

I'm fine if DeVoe covered all his bases. I'm fine if they attempted all of these things and came up empty. In fact, showing us that would make DeVoe look even more formidable as a foe, because it would show how smart he is to have accounted for all of that. This trial didn't feel like DeVoe outsmarted them. It felt like they're a bunch of stupid morons who couldn't convince a thirsty man to take a sip of water.
                            I think DeVoe's already proven he's outsmarted them in this and the previous episodes, and they've just gotten beaten soundly and can't honestly prove Barry was framed. What I will say is that the trial was rather quick, considering a charge of that magnitude would take longer than a day, as many have pointed out. Also, Iris secretly recording her conversation with Marlize would've done them a huge favor.

Comment

Originally posted by AsteroidMike
                              No, they don't. In fact Amunet wasn't mentioned in the episode at all, it's still a mystery.
                              They rescued new DeVoe from Amunet in the previous episode. Amunet wanted to sell him and Caitlin knows this. Then the guy returns and is magically new DeVoe? Even Star Labs' dumbest can make that connection.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎