Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you do the Star Wars prequels?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you do the Star Wars prequels?

Basically the title question, how would you do the fall of Anakin into Darth Vader, the Jedi, the Republic and the rise of the Empire. Plus keeping it in with canon with New Hope through ROTJ films, instead of continuity holes in the prequel films.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

I would leave them exactly the way George did them. They are better than the Original Trilogy for the most part. Perhaps, these "continuity holes" you speak of were actually in the Original Trilogy? Jump out of your childhood, grow up, and quit bashing the Prequel Trilogy. What really needs bashing is that garbage that Disney and Kathleen Kennedy are putting out. At least George had an imagination.

Comment

The prequel trilogy is a trainwreck of nonsense and is undeserving of the Star Wars name. I've literally seen better fan films.

Were I to reboot the prequels, I would start with Anakin at an older age and already training to be a Jedi. He'd be a good person at heart, but naive. The Jedis are looked upon as belonging to a religion. Jedi-ism is a faith. In my own experience with Christianity, I've seen how it can be very easy to be all-in with a particular faith as a child, but grow disenfranchised with it as you get older. This is also an experience soldiers have described during wartime. They go in all patriotic and intent on fighting for what's right, but become shell-shocked by the true horrors of war. I'd probably join the two, with Anakin becoming less and less inclined to side with the Jedi as he sees them committing acts of war during the Clone Wars. He grows up thinking they represent everything good in the universe, and then watches them slaughter a bunch of soldiers or something. Something better, more likely, but you get the point.

And I'd likely parallel the whole thing to the rise of Trumpism, or Nazism, or I might go farther back and draw inspiration from the time when the Pope was a much more powerful force in Europe.

So basically I would turn Anakin/Vader into the anti-Paul from the Bible. Paul started as a persecutor of Christians, had many condemned to death, but then became a saint. Vader's story would be the opposite of the that. The major incident that leads to his turning wouldn't be some ridiculous and poorly told romance. It would be more like a soldier with PTSD, and how a person can learn to hate what they once were/believed.

Comment

I don't think I would change a hell of a lot. In terms of a general outline, Lucas had a very good idea of how the story needed to be told. And in particular the arcs of characters like Obi Wan and Palpatine were told almost perfectly, IMO. The politics never bothered me either, because they served a purpose in explaining how Palpatine played the two sides against each other and seized control of the Galaxy. Give me trade disputes over a male character being repeatedly talked down to for being a "stereotypical hotheaded male" any day. At the same time, I thought the prequels depicted the Age of Jedi fairly well. It was everything I wanted to see after hearing about their fall in the prequels and I loved seeing stuff like the Jedi Council and the Jedi Temple. The saber fights were also incredible. On a final note, and as much as people criticise the prequels for their reliance on CGI, it was great to see so many new and different ships, planets and creatures. Kamino remains a soft spot of mine due to how visually stunning it was (and because it introduced Jango Fett of course).

As for what I might have done differently:

- Introduced Anakin at an older age. There's only so much you can do with a 9 year old character. Yes, the separation from his mother at such an age plays a key part in his character development, but I think they could have told this story as a flashback. In terms of explaining Anakin's turn to the Dark Side, The Phantom Menace doesn't take any steps forward because he's still so young. I would have had him 15-16 in Episode I, in his early 20s in Episode II and in his mid-to-late 20s in Episode III.
        - Made Anakin's turn a bit more complicated. Instead of having it be 100% about saving Padme, I would have made it 60-70% be about Padme and 40-30% about being attracted to the Dark Side. And to be fair to RotS, its first half is devoted to Anakin growing disillusioned by the Jedi and appreciating Palpatine's mentorship more. But once Anakin figures out Palpatine is a Sith, he overlooks his issues with Mace and is adamant about taking down Palpatine. Having him betray Mace and pledge his allegiance to the Emperor simply over Padme made his turn a bit "cheap", IMO. I understand that Lucas wanted to portray him as a fragile young man who had trouble letting go of attachments (especially after what happened with his mother). I just would have done it a bit differently.
        - Had Obi Wan be more involved when Anakin turned. There's a line that Vader says in RotJ (when Luke tries to convert him) about Obi Wan thinking like Luke did. I don't think we ever really saw that in RotS. Yes, they argue a bit about Palpatine's influence on him at the start of the movie, but they patch things up and that's just about it. When they see each other again on Mustafar, Anakin has already become Darth Vader and is beyond redemption. It would have been more poignant if we saw Obi Wan try to reason with Anakin only to lose him to the Emperor.
        - Made the love story in AotC shorter and more to the point.
        - Less Jar Jar in TPM.
        Last edited by costas22; 01-18-2018, 01:16 AM.

Comment

George Lucas was terrible at controlling a lot of Star Wars prequels. He dehumanised characters by making them lack emotional expression and humour. For example, Han Solo from the original trilogy was a lot more emotionally expressive and funny than characters from Star Wars' prequels. Princess Leia was more badass than Padme Amidala. R2-D2 and C3-P0 had a lot more personalities than the prequels' robot characters. Anakin Skywalker was ungratefully whiny during the prequels. Then, he acted like an overdramatically gothic teenager with angst while wearing black during "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith". Which made me not able to willingly watch scenes with him in them. He made me cringe really hard. Because he had Padme Amidala. He had The Force. Also, he didn't have to worry about poverty anymore. Obi Wan Kenobi was his friend, I guess. It just made feel like mocking his spoiled brat behavior.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎