0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Bad
    0%

I expected a lot more from this episode.

Brainiac 5 is the highlight of the episode. I can see sparks flying between he and Supergirl.

We find out the timeline for Earth-38 that leads into the formation of the Legion.

Reign has gained allies, including Thomas Coville.

How long will it be before Lena finds out that Kara is Supergirl? Melissa playing J'onn/ Kara shows she is the strongest actress out of Arrowverse.

I like Supergirl, Martian Manhunter, and Legion fighting together but I think the budget was affected by the crossover. I hope Superman and Miss Martian make their returns and get involved for the season finale.

Comment

Finally caught up with everything over the break. This wasn't a good episode.

For starters, Kara needed to remember she was Kara Danvers and not just Supergirl in order to wake up. Look, I get that they've been going for that idea rather clumsily all season, but what a stupid reason for her not to wake up from a coma. It's not like she had lost the will to live or something.

It's times like these when it's really unfortunate to have J'onn as a mere supporting character on a Supergirl show. He was woefully misused and underpowered here. Who can inject Reign with kryptonite? Gee, maybe the guy who's supposed to be about as strong as a Kryptonian and doesn't have the same weakness.

The Legion battle was kind of lame. I want to cut them some slack because I know budget is a huge issue, but it was just nonsensical.

Of course, what really made me cringe was the James and Lena stuff. Someone please explain how I'm supposed to take that seriously. They just can't help themselves on these shows.

Now, the best part was Melissa playing J'onn as Kara. If only it hadn't been part of a totally unnecessary scene from a ridiculous plotline.

I'm not a Legion expert, but I don't remember ever seeing Imra with telekinetic powers. I guess they changed her for the show. Surely she still has telepathy and just hasnt used it yet.

Comment

Lena and Jimmy stuff - Horrendous

Imra - I'm trying to be patient, but that actress is horrendous.

Legion and J'Onn vs. Reign - Is it just me or did Imra and Mon-El fly up into the air, hang there, and then come back down without having done anything? That was so bizarre. I'm also with nate... I realize this show is about Supergirl and everyone else is a supporting character, but both J'Onn and Mon-El should be able to stand to toe to toe with Reign. They're both shown to be practically useless here.

Kara vs. Reign II - I don't understand how re-learning to be Kara helped Supergirl in this fight. All she did was get close and stab her with the syringe. This was dumb.

I don't understand why Alex went from wanting Kara to be cold to fight Reign to regretting that idea. How did that turn out to be wrong? What was it about the first fight with Reign that Alex interpreted as problematic because Kara was acting unlike herself? She got whupped. If she were more "Kara-like", it wouldn't have helped her. Nothing about their current problem had anything to do with Kara being cold. I guess the thought here is that Alex thinks Reign is cold, and regrets trying to tell her sister to be more like Reign, but it's not as if Kara went over the line either. It'd make more sense if Kara had beaten the living tar out of Reign, and Alex regretted playing a role in Kara becoming more violent or something. The whole thing is just a big jumbled mess.

The whole cult thing is nauseating and feels fake.

Two highlights -

1: The actor playing Brainiac-5, despite his absurd appearance, was excellent. Absolutely knocked it out of the park.

2: Kara's story about Streaky, and how she was afraid to touch the cat at first because she didn't want to hurt him... While it would've been nice to have SEEN that story, instead of being told it, it was still an excellent story delivered well by Melissa.

Weak ep for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
          Legion and J'Onn vs. Reign - Is it just me or did Imra and Mon-El fly up into the air, hang there, and then come back down without having done anything? That was so bizarre. I'm also with nate... I realize this show is about Supergirl and everyone else is a supporting character, but both J'Onn and Mon-El should be able to stand to toe to toe with Reign. They're both shown to be practically useless here.
          It wasn't just you. I noticed that as well.

I do agree that the fight scenes in this ep was pretty weak overall. And I'm also not alone in that I think that the Jimmy/Lena thing was the worst thing ever that CW could had come up with. Just why?

Brainiac Five was great though... I can kind of see why Supergirl fell for him and choose to stay in the future with him on in an certain alternate universe (The JLA cartoon). The way he was reacting to Kara when she was sharing her story about the cat? it makes me wonder if he fell for Supergirl and is going to be the one to stay behind in the past with her.
          Would be a very interesting reversal of that particular story-line.

Comment

An interesting reversal and a necessary one, considering any variation of her leaving with him would end the show. While I'm a fan of show's ending before they're stale, that's not how the CW rolls.

But, can we talk about Streaky. I loved that Streaky was a black cat. Black cats are still the last to get adopted from shelters, because of that idiotic superstition. I volunteer at my local Humane Society and I'm so so happy right now. I really hope this translates into good PR.

Comment

Originally posted by Raissa
              An interesting reversal and a necessary one, considering any variation of her leaving with him would end the show. While I'm a fan of show's ending before they're stale, that's not how the CW rolls.

But, can we talk about Streaky. I loved that Streaky was a black cat. Black cats are still the last to get adopted from shelters, because of that idiotic superstition. I volunteer at my local Humane Society and I'm so so happy right now. I really hope this translates into good PR.
              Not necessarily. They could end up focusing on what it was like in the future, etc... the story wouldn't have to end with her leaving. The only problem is that there probably wouldn't be enough in the budget for a futuristic set. There's also the CW's unspoken rule for most of their TV shows that almost everyone must be with somebody new each season. God forbid that people actually have long-lasting relationships.

It's kind of obvious that Brainy is just going to be the "boyfriend of the season", so to speak.

Comment

Yes. The relationship stuff is becoming a real drag, which is sad, because I watched shows with great 'ships growing up. For example, there was Hart To Hart with Jonathan and Jennifer Hart. There was The Addams Family with Gomez and Morticia. I also listen to vintage radio shows, and I've always loved Lamont Cranston and Margo Lane from The Shadow. Then, there's Classic Lit. My favorite play not by Shakespeare is Cyrano De Bergerac by Edmond Rostand. Cyrano demonstrates a proper love triangle with brilliant character beats. My favorite play by Shakespeare is Henry V, which contains the best meet-cute I've ever come across precisely because the play is not a rom-com, and the characters are playing with subtext.

Comment

The James/Lena lovers arc isn't something that will bother me. Sure, it's not good but this is CW and I come to expect that sort of thing. We've seen it with Olicity, Ray/Hawkgirl back in season 1 of Legends before they wisely ended that and we're currently seeing it with Cisco/Gyspy in Flash....love arcs that lack any kind of good chemistry...at all. I'm sure once Lena finds out Kara is Supergirl and that James knew that, she'll break it off with him. I can already see that coming....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                    It wasn't just you. I noticed that as well.

I do agree that the fight scenes in this ep was pretty weak overall. And I'm also not alone in that I think that the Jimmy/Lena thing was the worst thing ever that CW could had come up with. Just why?

Brainiac Five was great though... I can kind of see why Supergirl fell for him and choose to stay in the future with him on in an certain alternate universe (The JLA cartoon). The way he was reacting to Kara when she was sharing her story about the cat? it makes me wonder if he fell for Supergirl and is going to be the one to stay behind in the past with her.
                    Would be a very interesting reversal of that particular story-line.

It would be the worst thing they've come up with if not for Olicity. It would probably match Olicity if James and Lena were taking up huge chunks of screentime. Thankfully, they are not so it's ok for me. I do like Lena's interactions with Kara, so I do like her character to a degree.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSecretVampire
                      It would be the worst thing they've come up with if not for Olicity. It would probably match Olicity if James and Lena were taking up huge chunks of screentime. Thankfully, they are not so it's ok for me. I do like Lena's interactions with Kara, so I do like her character to a degree.
                      This is why I stopped watching the Cw for the most part. When it comes to their comic shows, they just can't help themselves. EVERY main female and male character has to be involved with some silly romance with eachother that eats up 3/4's of an episodes time. That's when I finally realized that the CW can't help themselves but being the CW. They just don't know how to do a tv show with out appealing to the soap crowd.

How Supernatural ever avoided this particular problem I have no idea. They probably lucked out because their main protagonists are brothers. Too bad I simply got bored from the show because they refuse to end/quit or I'd still be watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                        Not necessarily. They could end up focusing on what it was like in the future, etc... the story wouldn't have to end with her leaving. The only problem is that there probably wouldn't be enough in the budget for a futuristic set.
                        In terms of story, it is, of course, possible to have a season or more of Kara in the future, but it would never happen. Like you mentioned, budget would be an issue. They'd basically have to have a new supporting cast, and none of these shows like to deviate from their status quos very much for very long. Flashpoint lasted one episode. Barry trapped in the Speed Force lasted less than one episode. The Arrow crew couldn't even bring themselves to thin the herd with an island detonation.

Kara going to the future is like Barry going to the Speed Force. It might be an end-of-season tease that lasts for one episode at the beginning of the next season.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSecretVampire
                          In olicity's defense, at least there was some buildup between Felicity and Oliver when they were just friends... they were getting to know each other before they jumped into an romantic relationship. With Jimmy/Lena, however... it just came out of now-where???

I think they just left people confused instead of happy when they didn't do the build-up like they typically did. This is just bad writing, and this is even worse than the typical CW stuff they did in the past.

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
                          In terms of story, it is, of course, possible to have a season or more of Kara in the future, but it would never happen. Like you mentioned, budget would be an issue. They'd basically have to have a new supporting cast, and none of these shows like to deviate from their status quos very much for very long. Flashpoint lasted one episode. Barry trapped in the Speed Force lasted less than one episode. The Arrow crew couldn't even bring themselves to thin the herd with an island detonation.

Kara going to the future is like Barry going to the Speed Force. It might be an end-of-season tease that lasts for one episode at the beginning of the next season.
                          Knowing the CW, they'd do something ridiculous like claim that all the present Supergirl cast were in fact descendants of the people that Supergirl left behind.

Is that Alex? No, that's Bonita Danvers, Alex's great-great-great-great-great granddaughter who just happens to look and sound exactly like Alex Danvers!

But yeah, you have a very good point. I bet they wouldn't even show much of the future. The regular cast would feel moody because Supergirl left them to be with somebody in the future... only time-travel hijinks occur, and Supergirl is back at the end of the ep, saying she lived with Brainy for 4 years and then broke up with him. Meanwhile, it's like she never left in the first place.
                          Last edited by Aurora Moon; 01-19-2018, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎