No announcement yet.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

Jurassic World: Fallen KingdomIn Theaters June 22, 2018 https://www.jurassicworld.comIt’s been four years since theme park and luxury resort Jurassic World w...

Just back from watching it. Thought it was terrible and predictable. We get heavyhanded preaching about [SPOILER]not messing with nature and genetics (the same lesson that was in the first film, 25 years ago)[/SPOILER] and that [SPOILER]animal exploitation is bad.[/SPOILER] The problem with both is [SPOILER]that it's actually our protagonists (the good guys/animal right activists) that causes all the bad stuff (just like in the second one). They're the ones, who let the animals go. They're even okay with the dinosaurs killing people So, the moral of the story becomes more "if you're gonna mess with nature, make sure to lock up all animal rights nuts" or "animal rights folk will be the doom of us all".[/SPOILER]

Claire's two co-workers [SPOILER]were extremely annoying. Especially Franklin, who constantly whines and screams.[/SPOILER]

The most interesting thing was [SPOILER]the reveal that Maisie is a clone (which I had already figured out). Sadly, they never explore this matter. It's seemingly just there, to motivate her to release the dinosaurs, with her declaring that they're alive, just like her. Unfortunately, we haven't spent any time exploring the fact that she's a clone. There is no point, where she questions the nature of her own existence.[/SPOILER]

The supposed bad guys were one dimensional. Being bad guys [SPOILER]they naturally leave Owen to die on the island (because it's not like he's responsible for the research, that makes the raptor useful and they might need him).[/SPOILER] And we discover that they're bad guys, [SPOILER]when one of them tries to shoot the raptor, right before she kills him. Because anyone who'd kill an animal in self-defense must be a bad guy.[/SPOILER]

We're introduced to Hammond's [SPOILER]never before mentioned partner in the dinosaur cloning business. The return of the Mosaurus, at the end, felt tacked on. We see it escape at the start of the film, then they seem to forget about it, until the end of the movie.[/SPOILER] I also question the plot at the beginning with [SPOILER]the dinosaurs facing extinction, because of a vulcanic eruption. Previously, there's been two island with dinosaurs, but there's no explaination what happen to Isla Sorna. And surely, there would've been more than one park in the world. Look at the Disney parks. There isn't just one. They've constructed multiple, on different continents. So, there should be more islands in the world with dinosaurs. Not to mention, the animals represent the multimillion dollar investment of a corporation. Surely, they wouldn't want to loose these assests, even if they got a bad rep after the incident in the park (which was caused by human stupidity; no idea why the company didn't put the blame on Owen and the others, who went into the I. rex enclosure). But, nothing is said about it, apart from them having had to pay $800 million in damages (a huge company like that should still have several billions).[/SPOILER]

The film has annoying callbacks to the first movie. Not to mention, it's ridiculous that [SPOILER]Owen, Claire and Franklin survived the island. Because this is Hollywood, as long as you don't physically touch the lava, you're okay. Owen runs and is overtaken by the smoke from the volcano. That should've killed him, as his lungs would've been filled with the volcanic smoke. And either the fall would've killed Claire and Franklin or they would've drowned. Naturally, Owen is able to shoot them out, because it's not like the previous film established that these gyrospheres can stop a 50 caliber bullet (of course, the impact from the could've weakened it).[/SPOILER]

Comment

I'm not going to defend the film or claim that it broke the mold. But I did find this film to be more satisfying than the last one, which I thought was outright idiocy. This one, to me, felt much more comfortable embracing the fact that it is a glorified B-movie. I don't know. Maybe it's just that I had zero expectations with this one, but the tone and pacing, especially in the finale felt like an opera. It's quite possible that JA Bayona is just a flat-out better director than Trevorrow. This isn't Spielberg, anymore. It's freakin' Tremors. On that level, I kind've enjoyed myself for 2 hours.

Definitely has a hardcore Planet of the Apes vibe, now.

Comment

I gave it B+. I thought it was alright. Good guys always survive, bad guys (except BD Wong) get eaten, and what else is new for one of these movies?

Comment

I just came from watching it...maybe cause I also had low expectations of this film but, I enjoyed myself with this installment. I was invested with the dinosaurs more so than the humans especially with Blue’s wellbeing. [SPOILER] The whole cloning of the daughter thing was interesting; though I am partial to cloning stories. I’m hoping with the third installment of “Jurassic World” that they’ll explore more of the cloning, maybe with a grown Maisie. [/SPOILER]
          Last edited by darkphoenix21; 06-30-2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎