No announcement yet.

#4.10 "Things That Go Boom"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #4.10 "Things That Go Boom"

I thought this was a pretty good episode, once it got going.

Surprisingly, I liked Lee a lot more in this episode. I appreciated how she used her medical background to win with Sampson. Hopefully, "Lee's Court" is no more next week, though. That was ridiculous.

I'm not sure how I feel about Nygma's split personality returning. It feels kind of redundant.

The arc with Sofia/Penguin finally felt like it came into focus.

I figured out how the subplot with Martin would end, but I'm glad he survived. I hope they bring him back in the future.

The Professor Pyg storyline took an unexpected turn for me. When he was punched in the opening sequence, I thought for sure he was Clayface (Basil Karlo). I was disappointed when he turned out to be someone named Lazlo Valentine, but: Whatever. I'm sure it won't be the last time they do that for a character.

Anyway, it was pretty good. It's hard to believe the Fall Finale is next week.

What did everybody else think?
    Last edited by Aries83; 11-30-2017, 07:18 PM.

I liked it a lot, I must say. After the last couple of episodes, we got an episode that felt less like a filler and more eventful.

Finally, Sofia's plan began to unravel. Using Martin as a Trojan Horse was quite clever and much better than just trying to seduce Penguin. Showed how devious she is. Of course, with this being Penguin, he turned the tables on her and "blew up" the kid. I was glad to see it was just a charade though. As dark as this show can be at times, killing a boy like that felt too much. On that note, while Robin Lord Taylor never disappoints, I thought he was especially good in his last scene with Martin.

While the Sofia/Penguin storyline took a new turn turn this week, the Sofia/Jim relationship just continues to bore, IMO. It's neither a love nor hate relationship. It's something in the middle and it's hard to tell what each person actually wants from the other.

Nice to see the Sirens back and actively involved in the war between Penguin and Sofia.

The Pyg storyline was a bit more intriguing this week (thankfully no one ate another person!) and I'd venture to say that we still don't know the full story. Pyg appears to be Lazlo...or does he? Without spoiling anything, my immediate thought was that he was someone else we know very well. And if you check out the trailer for next week's episode, you'll find out who it is.

The Lee stuff was meh. It's good that they are not doing another dark storyline with her, but the whole Lee's Court did feel silly. The Ed portion of the storyline feels like stalling until he becomes The Riddler again. On that note, were Lee and Ed really ever friends? She was iffy about him even when he was dating Kringle.

I didn't miss Bruce this week. We needed a break from that storyline.

They did a good job to set up the fall finale. Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
      we got an episode that felt less like a filler and more eventful.
      I agree.

the Sofia/Jim relationship just continues to bore, IMO. It's neither a love nor hate relationship. It's something in the middle and it's hard to tell what each person actually wants from the other.
      It's just too predictable. For example, I knew she would kiss him to try and change his mind.

The Pyg storyline was a bit more intriguing this week (thankfully no one ate another person!) and I'd venture to say that we still don't know the full story. Pyg appears to be Lazlo...or does he? Without spoiling anything, my immediate thought was that he was someone else we know very well. And if you check out the trailer for next week's episode, you'll find out who it is.
      Well, I know who's supposed to be coming back. I'm just not sure I like that character pretending to be another character from the comics—if it's supposed to be who I think it is.

The Lee stuff was meh. It's good that they are not doing another dark storyline with her, but the whole Lee's Court did feel silly.
      Yeah. Case dismissed!

The Ed portion of the storyline feels like stalling until he becomes The Riddler again. On that note, were Lee and Ed really ever friends? She was iffy about him even when he was dating Kringle.
      You're right. I think she may have been speaking to him in that moment as a colleague, back when he worked at the GCPD. Either way, I didn't mind that scene, but I do agree that the split personality stuff is a big step backwards.

They did a good job to set up the fall finale. Can't wait!
      Yep. Just when it starts to get good, there's only one episode left...

Comment

Originally posted by Aries83
        Well, I know who's supposed to be coming back. I'm just not sure I like that character pretending to be another character from the comics—if it's supposed to be who I think it is.
        Me neither. I'm guessing that there was an issue of actor availability and they used Cerveris to fill the gap until [SPOILER]Cameron Monaghan[/SPOILER] could appear. The whole face switching thing does make sense though.

You're right. I think she may have been speaking to him in that moment as a colleague, back when he worked at the GCPD. Either way, I didn't mind that scene, but I do agree that the split personality stuff is a big step backwards.
        It's been a while and I don't remember the storyline well, but I don't think Lee knew him for a long time before he went psycho? Just a nitpick. Both characters seem to be in limbo, to be honest. Lee's storyline is different, but what's the endgame? At least when they changed course with Barbata, they went all in. Just like Ed's, Lee's storyline seems to have stalled and they are just waiting to put her back in Jim's orbit again.

Yep. Just when it starts to get good, there's only one episode left...
        Trademark Gotham! Built up momentum ahead of the fall finale and then go on hiatus for a couple of months.

Comment

Me neither. I'm guessing that there was an issue of actor availability and they used Cerveris to fill the gap until [SPOILER]Cameron Monaghan[/SPOILER] could appear. The whole face switching thing does make sense though.
          Yeah, I just wish Gordon didn't seem so clueless about who it was. I mean, how many criminals does he know who had their face reconstructed?

I guess we can call this version of Professor Pyg Imposter Professor Pyg?

Both characters seem to be in limbo, to be honest. Lee's storyline is different, but what's the endgame? At least when they changed course with Barbata, they went all in. Just like Ed's, Lee's storyline seems to have stalled and they are just waiting to put her back in Jim's orbit again.
          I hope not!

Unfortunately, I got the sense that the Kringle storyline is about to play out between Leslie and Ed now? After all, he did seem smitten towards her after she said he was her friend. Then, the split personality appears after all this time? Lee better watch out! Would they really recycle that storyline again, though?

Trademark Gotham! Built up momentum ahead of the fall finale and then go on hiatus for a couple of months.
          Well, I hope we get answers about what al Ghul did to Barbara and an update on Ivy before it's over

Comment

Yeah, I just wish Gordon didn't seem so clueless about who it was. I mean, how many criminals does he know who had their face reconstructed?

I guess we can call this version of Professor Pyg Imposter Professor Pyg?
            Probably, although the situation is a bit more complex right now. [SPOILER]For example, Jerome hasn't been recognized as this show's Joker regardless of the similarities. So maybe his endgame will be to become Professor Pyg instead of the Joker? It wouldn't be a stretch considering that DC's movie division has one Joker and they already want to introduce another (don't ask ). [/SPOILER]

I agree that Jim should have been more suspicious. Maybe the southern accent threw him off.

Unfortunately, I got the sense that the Kringle storyline is about to play out between Leslie and Ed now? After all, he did seem smitten towards her after she said he was her friend. Then, the split personality appears after all this time? Lee better watch out! Would they really recycle that storyline again, though?
            Yikes, the better not! During their last scene it did occur to me whether the show was playing out a romantic storyline, but I want to believe they wouldn't be that predictable. Hopefully it will just be a case of Ed feeling attracted to her while Lee isn't interested (she still loves Jim of course )

Well, I hope we get answers about what al Ghul did to Barbara and an update on Ivy before it's over
            Here's hoping! Especially in regards to Barbara. If they leave some storylines on the shelf for too long, viewers will forget about them. The new Ivy will start appearing in 2018 if I remember well, so I think she won't be mentioned next week.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎