No announcement yet.

Smallville High Deaths

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallville High Deaths

Trying to kill some time (waiting for Netflix to release the latest LoT episode and I won't be seeing the Justice League until 3pm) by creating a list of deaths among the students and faculty at Smallville High. Sometimes I've heard people claim that the school had a high body count and that students perished in every episode, so I thought I should set the record straight. For this list, I'm not including former students that have died (ex. Whitney, who died in another country, while serving in the military. Or Alicia, who was said to be living in Granville (implying that she's no longer at student at Smallville High), in her final episode). Otherwise, you'd have to count any death that happens in town (as the majority of people in Smallville are bound to have attended this school), no matter how long ago they would've left school. I also decided to point out what some of these deaths would be counted as, in the eyes of the general public.

Season 1

Jenna Barnum ("Cool"). Frozen to death by Sean Kelvin. Believe it or not, but Jenna was the only student to die during season one.

Coach Arnold ("Hothead"). He burned to death, in a fire he himself caused. Likely, his death would be considered an accidental death in a fire.

Principal Kwan ("Crush"). Murdered by Justin Gaines.

Season 2
    Troy Turner and Russell Burton ("Redux"). Aged to death by Chrissy Parker. Chloe mentions that the coroner credited Troy's death on sudden onset of progeria. Their deaths would've likely been written off as caused by a genetic disorder, present in both boys.

Chrissy Parker ("Redux"). Aged rapidly and turned to dust. Officially, she'd be considered a mission person. Not that there's anyone, who would file such a report. She didn't have parents and the episode established nothing about her living with anyone. Potentially, most would just figure that she moved away.

Mr. Frankle ("Dichotic"). Murdered by Ian Randall.

Travis George ("Rush"). Was infected by a parasite at a Kawatche Cave rave and jumped to his death. Official cause of death would likely be accidental death, during a rave, with suspicions that the boy might've taken drugs.

Season 3

Jake Pollen ("Extinction"). Murdered by Van McNulty.

Coach Altman ("Hereafter"). Tried to burn Lana and another girl, who he blamed for the death of his daughter, to death and ended up perishing himself in the flames. His death would be written off as suicide, following a mental breakdown, brought on by the recent death of his daughter. If Clark hadn't stopped him earlier, Altman would've just stepped infront of a car and been run over.

Garrett Davis ("Resurrection"). Gunned down by a police officer, after showing up at the Smallville Medical Center, with a bomb. Again, would be written off as him having a mental breakdown, brought on by the death of his brother and only living relative.

Season 4

Dawn Stiles ("Spirit"). Failed to pay attention to the road and crashed. Kryptonite mutated her, so she could project a spirit and take over the bodies of others. She killed her original body at the hospital and perished, after she was expelled from Clark's body. The offical cause of death would clearly be the first sentense. As far as the people of Smallville would be concerned, Dawn engaged in wreckless driving and ended up getting herself killed because of it.

Karen Gallagher ("Ageless"). Exploded into energy, caused by her pregnancy. As there is no body, Karen's disappearance would officially be a missing persons case. When it comes out that she was pregnant, most would likely figure that she ran away from home, because of that.

Haley Timmonds ("Forever"). Murdered by Brendan Nash.

Brendan Nash ("Forever"). Turned into wax, after he tried to use his powers on Clark, and broke into pieces, when he hit the floor. Not sure if his death would be considered suicide or accidental death.

This gives us a total of 15 deaths over a four year period. Out of those 15, you've got

Three (Arnold, George and Stiles) that would be regarded as accidental deaths.

Two (Turner and Burton) that would be written off as being caused by medical condition.

1-2 (Parker and Gallagher) that would be considered missing persons.

One (Altman) that would be considered suicide.

One (Davis) that was gunned down by a cop, while posing a threat to others.

Like I mentioned above, I'm not sure what Brendan Nash would count as.

This means that we've only got five deaths (Barnum, Kwan, Frankle, Pollen and Timmonds) that would actually be regarded as murder. Five over a four year period. The last took place on the last day of school, so it just about qualifies as having happened when the characters were in High School. We could even reduce this figure, by asking ourselves if Jenna Barnum's death would really be regarded as murder or as her having accidently frosen to death? After all, who'd believe that her boyfriend froze her to death? Meanwhile, Kwan's death was considered an accident (if I'm not mistaken). Even with Justin taken into custody for attacking Chloe, would police really believe her that Justin used telekinesis to kill Kwan? This would then mean that only Frankle, Pollen and Timmonds would be officially be regarded as murder.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 02-13-2018, 03:10 AM.

When we did the second rewatch I tried to keep score of the fatalities but at some point forgot to do it and gave up. I'll try to find my latest count.

Comment

Ok the last one I could find was from the 101st episode Vengeance, so halfway through. I recorded saves and fatalities:

Originally posted by DJ Doena
      Saves:

Reckoning:
      Lana (from Bus)

Vengeance:
      Lionel (from fall)

Lex: 15
      Chloe: 16
      Pete: 8
      Lana: 23
      Whitney: 5†
      Martha: 6
      Jonathan: 5
      Lionel: 5
      Lois: 6
      Jason: 3

Fatality Count:

Reckoning:

Jonathan Kent

Vengeance:
      "Snake"

Total confirmed:

Comment

Going back to the end of season 4 where I actually tracked Smallville High students and staff I came up with a total of 18:

Fatality Count:

Commencement:

Genevieve Teague
        Jason Teague
        helicopter pilot

Arrival:
        undetermined number of police officers at the landing site
        23 casualties from the meteor shower (per TV report)

Total confirmed:

Smallville High students and staff:
        However that does not include people like Gabriel Duncan (the guy from the nuclear silo) who died after high school was over.

Comment

When you click on the quote link you can go back through all the episodes. I've always quoted the previous one.

Comment

Looked over some of your old posts, for the rewatch and found your mistakes:

Fatality Count:

Reaper:
            Dr. Whatshisname, M.E.
            Mrs. Sikes
            Pepper the dog
            Hank Richards
            Tyler Randall

Drone:
            none

Total confirmed:

Here you've counted a death to the Smallville High students and staff, despite none of the five being a student or member of the staff at Smallville High.

Fatality Count:

Pariah:

Alicia Baker

Recruit:
            Coop

Total confirmed:

You counted Alicia. In the episode, Clark mentions that he had dropped her off at home, in Granville. So, she was no longer a resident of Smallville. Which in turn means that she was no longer enrolled at Smallville High. If we really wanna nitpick, she was murdered in her (Granville) home. So, the murder took place outside of the town limit of Smallville. Of course, this would call for a different fatality count, where we'd divide characters who died in Smallville and those that dies elsewhere. Out of the 137 total deaths you counted in season one to four, some did occur elsewhere. Some were natural causes (Cassandra Carver) and some were due to terminal illness (George Fordman, Ryan James). While writing this, I also see that you counted the death of Louise McCallum. So, the fatality count includes deaths that happened 40 years before the events of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
              Looked over some of your old posts, for the rewatch and found your mistakes:
              They happen

Here you've counted a death to the Smallville High students and staff, despite none of the five being a student or member of the staff at Smallville High.
              I guess I counted Tyler by accident.

You counted Alicia. In the episode, Clark mentions that he had dropped her off at home, in Granville. So, she was no longer a resident of Smallville. Which in turn means that she was no longer enrolled at Smallville High.
              Was it established that they moved since season 3? Grandville does seem to be right around the corner of Smallville and I'm not sure if you can reliably estimate the size of the other town based on the name (after all, Smallville was named after the Small family, not because of its size).

You are correct insofar that it was also never established that Alicia re-enrolled in school after being released from Belle Reve.

So, the fatality count includes deaths that happened 40 years before the events of the show.
              Back then it was more of a fun excercise to see how fatal living in Smallville actually was. Buffy the Vampire Slayer once hung a lampshade on the fact that living in Sunnydale was dangerous but nobody seemed to notice. They excused it away has having a magical veil of ignorance hanging over the city. Basically the magical version of a SEP field.

That's why all deaths were counted, even Louise's.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎