Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of "Advanced Thanatology"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of "Advanced Thanatology"?

So some kids break into an Asylum (well, a home but still). And we do the found footage thing (which I’ve always found kind of annoying myself but…). Also, was it me or was that one of the longest ‘starts’ to an episode? Just went on for a long time, seemed to me.

Sam being nice to Dean (a theme that would continue through the episode). Telling Dean they should go on a case alone and that he set Jack up with fantasy DVDs. Red Sonia, the Beastmaster movies, etc.

So Jack stays behind (reminded me of the early seasons for a bit. Just the boys doing a ‘monster of the week’ hunt). Dean tries to talk to the kid but nope.

Loved the ways Sam tried to be nice to Dean. Beer for breakfast, letting him blast his music, the strip club thing, etc.). It freaked Dean out though.

And Sam trying to convince a stripper to go to nursing school is so Sam!

Dean intends to cope via “bullets, bacon and booze. Lots of booze.” That is very Dean.

Sam waking up and finding Dean on the floor (with a bright pink bra around his neck!) was funny. Leaving him on the floor? Funnier.

They meet up (that was a truly epic amount of bacon on Dean’s plate!), they go to the place.

“Door. Salt. Burn ‘em.” So succinct.

They get rid of the doc but we had half an episode left (also, I’d been spoiled about Billie so knew she was coming yet). Dean kills himself to help the ghosts. Meets up with Sean, who’d been possessed then murdered.

Billie keeps Dean from going back and they make a deal. I did love Billie’s line about “it’s funny to hear a Winchester talk about the finality of death.” True enough. So there’s a system in place in case Death dies? Huh. Also, anyone else wonder if Billie’s ‘getting the bigger picture’ thing (and understanding the Winchesters importance) means she had a talk with Chuck? Cause I do.

Dean makes a deal to free the ghosts (though I don’t really understand why they couldn’t leave before?). I kinda thought he might deal for Sean to get sent back to the living, at least.

Dean giving up? Wants to die? I can almost buy that. Except for one thing—Sam. Dean has never and will never leave Sam. I just don’t buy that. Even with Cas and Mom and whatnot, he wouldn’t do that. He wouldn’t. But okay, for narrative’s sake. Billie sends him back, telling him they’ve “got work to do” (nice callback use of the phrase!).

Dean tells Sam about Billie, and about needing a win. They are on their way home when he gets a call.

It’s Castiel. He’s back.

So yeah, good episode and nice to go ‘back to basics’, as it were.
    10--excellent!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1--terrible!
    0%

There are a couple of tropes in this show that are really beginning to bug me. One is the "Find out about a problem in the morning. Show up at the place with the problem at the dead of night" scenario. This episode did that at least once. They found out about the creepy house in what was obviously the morning and pulled up to it when it was dark. Wouldn't you logically want to go to a haunted house in the daytime?

The other trope is the "pause before shooting". There's a monster looking menacing across the room? Raise your gun. Aim. Wait for it. Wait a little more. Just a little but more waiting... Damn! He got away.

I think both are the result of by-the-numbers writing style. It be refreshing to see Sam and Dean as quick thinking capable hunters who react quickly and knowledgeably without the need to slow them down to draw out dynamic tension.
    Last edited by marlonbrando; 11-12-2017, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I am really salty with Dean. He was willing to die and leave Sammy alone. Old Dean would never do that, which makes me think he's closer to Cas now than Sam. Which bothers me a little.

Comment

Originally posted by marlonbrando
        There are a couple of tropes in this show that are really beginning to bug me. One is the "Find out about a problem in the morning. Show up at the place with the problem at the dead of night" scenario. This episode did that at least once. They found out about the creepy house in what was obviously the morning and pulled up to it when it was dark. Wouldn't you logically want to go to a haunted house in the daytime?

In some instances, there is a drive involved. They addressed this in "Baby" when they showed just how long it takes to drive to a new case. Also, the best time to catch anything in a haunted house is at night.

The other trope is the "pause before shooting". There's a monster looking menacing across the room? Raise your gun. Aim. Wait for it. Wait a little more. Just a little but more waiting... Damn! He got away.

I think both are the result of by-the-numbers writing style. It be refreshing to see Sam and Dean as quick thinking capable hunters who react quickly and knowledgeably without the need to slow them down to draw out dynamic tension.
        Could be for the dramatic effect, but also Sam is not a shoot-first kind of guy. Dean is for the most part.

Comment

I agree with Sheltie, that the time difference is supposed to indicate travel time. That they hear about the case but it takes until then to get there to start investigating (anyone else miss the days when the boys would hit the library? I do.). And that night time would be the perfect time to go to a haunted house. I feel you'd be more likely to see ghosts or whatever, then.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎