No announcement yet.

New ‘Star Wars Universe’ Trilogy

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ‘Star Wars Universe’ Trilogy

RIAN JOHNSON, WRITER-DIRECTOR OF STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, TO CREATE ALL-NEW STAR WARS TRILOGY

For director Rian Johnson, Star Wars: The Last Jedi was just the beginning of his journey in a galaxy far, far away.

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Johnson will create a brand-new Star Wars trilogy, the first of which he is also set to write and direct, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.

As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

“We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”

“We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi,” Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. “Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it. We can’t wait to continue with this new series of films.”

http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-jo...r-wars-trilogy

No release dates have been set for the new films.

About time they explored a storyline that wasn't tied to the universe Lucas created. I wonder if this means that they are not planning a trilogy about episodes 10-12. Theoretically they have a young enough cast to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
      About time they explored a storyline that wasn't tied to the universe Lucas created. I wonder if this means that they are not planning a trilogy about episodes 10-12. Theoretically they have a young enough cast to do it.
      What’s going to happen is that they’re going to have to produce more than one Star Wars film a year. Whether they go back and forth or have a set schedule for when each type of film (episode, anthology, or new trilogy) comes out they have to expand their quota per year. The other option is keep the one year quota and thus we’ll have to wait three years between the three types.
      Last edited by darkphoenix21; 11-09-2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
        What’s going to happen is that they’re going to have to produce more than one Star Wars film a year. Whether they go back and forth or have a set schedule for when each type of film (episode, anthology, or new trilogy) comes out they have to expand their quota per year. The other option is keep the one year quota and thus we’ll have to wait three years between the three types.
        IF they do decide to do a trilogy for episodes 10 to 12, I think your first scenario is the more possible. They will make the Star Wars movie universe similar to the MCU with 2 or 3 movies being released per year. In a way they are already testing this out with Episode 8 coming out in December and Solo coming out next May.

It's also interesting that they appear to have nixed the plans for any future standalone movies for characters like Boba Fett or Obi Wan.

Comment

As a lifelong Star Wars fan, this warms my heart a lot and is making me imagine all of the possibilities and storylines they could do with this because the Star Wars universe is enormous. The movies have to be good, however, otherwise people will get tired of them.

Comment

The jury will remain out until after I've seen The Last Jedi. I would like to see a Rian Johnson Star Wars episode movie before I start getting excited about another trilogy set in another part of the galaxy far, far away. It's a good idea in theory, but how creative is Rian Johnson? If Gareth Edwards were doing it I would probably get on board. If JJ Abrahms were doing it....well, we should all know what I think of his creative talents. He has none.

Comment

They must be THRILLED with The Last Jedi. That's cool.

Comment

An entire Star Wars trilogy with the right to create new characters and new canon.

As far as I know, this is the most that any director has ever been given, in terms of effective monetary value.

Comment

I wanna know how many things from the Expanded Universe will be re-canonized for these upcoming movies.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                    It's also interesting that they appear to have nixed the plans for any future standalone movies for characters like Boba Fett or Obi Wan.
                    Crap, those films where actually very interesting and I hope they did them. Well on the bright side at least they are still doing the Solo film.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎