1 14.29%

0 0%

0 0%

1 14.29%
  • 1--you call THAT entertaining?

3 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you think of "Girls night out?"

Making this thread for myself mainly. got tired of waiting.

What I liked:
    The fact that the women and the men were on their own as they worked to fix the indivial problems that they encountered, and that those problems actually had nothing to do with each other. I got to see some real bonding moments between some characters.

I also liked the scene at the end where Joe and Cecile reveal to each other how scared they were to be new parents again in their 50's even with adult children in the mix there. It felt very genuine and real to me.

what I didn't like:
    Ralph. I know he's supposed to transform into this heroic figure... but ew. But then again, isn't the Elongated man a known pervert in the comics too?

Drunken Barry telling everyone he's the flash. I guess it just shows how much little he cares about keeping a secret ID. It gives you the feeling like if he could, he would just ditch the serect ID thing entirely and just go around as Superpowered Barry.

Chatterbox Christian moviefan2k4's Avatar
    I know I'll get pushback for this, but I don't care. Feminism is to women, what affirmative action is to blacks. They're both excuses for pointless quotas and perpetual victimhood. Courage and bravery matter more than sex or color, and neither of the latter define the former.

While I agree with the last sentence, I can't help but think that you're one of those people who keep on misunderstanding what Feminism actually stands for, just because you run into a few bad seeds who keep on distorting what it stood for.

Feminism isn't about acting like a victim, etc. If anything it's about bring awareness to issues that have plagued women forever and finding a way to OVERCOME IT. It's all about overcoming your problems. The fact that you misunderstood this to be all about perpetual victim-hood shows that you don't really understand why women keep on pointing out those issues they have to the public.

For example... if I bring up the fact that I was sexually assaulted two times in the past, it would be to bring awareness to an issue that I WANT FIXED so that it NEVER happens again to anybody else. Not because I wanted people to feel sorry for me or treat me like a victim. If somebody insisted on treating me like a helpless victim because of what happened to me as a kid, I'd be more likely to kick them in the crotch than weep helplessly on their shoulder. And then tell them that they should be doing something about it, instead of throwing me a pity party.

Also? There's no such thing as quotas.... if there are, then it just means there's a few racist *******s out there who's been misusing a system in order to not look racist. And they should be rightfully called out for that.
    Last edited by Aurora Moon; 11-08-2017 at 02:51 AM.

New In Town
    The movie is very similar to the 2008 film 'The Women', which was a remake of a 1939 film.

It was an okay episode, it was nice to see how the ladies of Team Flash + Felicity and Cecile beat the bad guy or girl without the aide of Cisco or Barry.

Drunk Barry was definitely a sight to behold LMAO.

This was okay, a sort of bachelor/bacherlorette filler ep. so they can bond before the crossover.

Caitlin finally comes clean about KF and -- no surprise to the fans -- also acknowledges the reality that she and Iris aren't the closest of friends even though they've known each other 3 years. They may be finally changing that now, Iris' wedding forcing the show's hand, but they've rarely interacted outside of Team Flash work. Related: Felicity attending their party can only mean that she and Iris have been buddying up a lot in OffscreenVille.

New In Town
    I didn't enjoy this episode that much but if it serves as the foundation for Caitlin to finally be ok with using her powers and iris to begin to feel like she's part of the team (in the sense of being friends with the team not just ordering people around) then I suppose it's fine that it wasn't that great since it will have done two things that really needed to be done. If Iris is going to really start feeling like part of the team she needs to discover what it is she brings to the team that no one else does. Weather that's becoming a bit more Sherlocky with her investigative journalism or starting to use a particular piece of tech that others are less familiar with. As long as she is completely replaceable I think she'll always feel a little out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by zibroweed View Post
    I didn't enjoy this episode that much but if it serves as the foundation for Caitlin to finally be ok with using her powers and iris to begin to feel like she's part of the team (in the sense of being friends with the team not just ordering people around) then I suppose it's fine that it wasn't that great since it will have done two things that really needed to be done. If Iris is going to really start feeling like part of the team she needs to discover what it is she brings to the team that no one else does. Weather that's becoming a bit more Sherlocky with her investigative journalism or starting to use a particular piece of tech that others are less familiar with. As long as she is completely replaceable I think she'll always feel a little out of place.
    Agreed.

They needed to find a way for Caitylin and KF to be okay with each other, and so that she could keep on being part of Team Flash.

Usually I'm on the hate Felicity train, but she was great in this episode. She's always been great in her guest spots on Flash....she fits in so much better on Flash than Arrow, IMO.

Oh, boy... Okay, I get what they were trying to do: create a scenario where the women of Team Flash have to step up to the plate and save the day (especially Caitlin/Killer Frost). A problem is that the show already have the Flash, Vibe and (until recently) Kid Flash. If a crisis presents itself, Barry will be the first one expected to handle it. If he's unavailable or needs help, Cisco and/or Wally will step in. And Cisco doesn't suit up as Vibe in every episode. This creates an unlikelyhood that Caitlin would be placed in a situation, where she has to become Killer Frost and fight bad guys, as there's already three fully formed superheroes available and she could just call them. So, for her to step up to the plate, you first need to get rid of those three guys (and, now, Ralph Dibny).

The problem with the episode is how they went about it. Their way of getting rid of the guys, was having them go to a strip club, where they're forced to surrender their phones (is that even a real thing?), get drunk and start behaving badly. Before getting into a fight and thrown in jail. Meanwhile, the writers have the women go around talking about how they're strong and keep saying hashtag feminism (who the hell says "hashtag"? They're all near or above 30). Because saying stuff like that constantly proves that they're stong, independent women. Seriously, let their actions speak for themselves. You don't need to constantly remind us, that you're doing (or rather, trying to do) female empowerment. The rule of film is "show, don't tell". If a character is the world's greatest detective, show him/her be the world's greatest detective. Don't have the character just stand around and point out 500 times, that he/she is the greatest detective in the world.

I'm being reminded of the Smallville episode "Static", where that show's writers had Chloe step up to the plate. The episode's plot has Lex vanish, at the same time as they've tracked down another Zoner in Seattle. As the Zoner is established to be killing people, Clark has to head to Seattle (due to a mass murdering being a more urgent matter, than Lex (a bad guy) vanishing), while Chloe has to tackle the disappearance of Lex on her own (with Jimmy serving as her sidekick). I don't think it's a great episode, but it does demonstrate a good way to get the main male protagonist out of the way (without having to degrade him in any way), so a woman gets a chance to save the day. Nor did that episode feel the need to have Chloe point out that she was a woman, in charge of a rescue attempt of a helpless man.

Sadly, the Arrowverse writers are very bad in the "show, don't tell" department. They have to spell it out for the audience, like we're too stupid to get what they're trying to do. Let's use the recent Wonder Woman film as an example of something else with a female protagonist. That film doesn't spend any real time hammering in that they're trying to do female empowerment. When Diana is told about No Man's Land and that no man can cross it, she doesn't reply with "well, I'm no man". She just goes over the top and fights her way to the German trench.

There are several ways, that this episode could've gotten rid of the guys. Like "Static", they could've been busy with a crisis in another city (they wouldn't even have to show it). Maybe Cisco's breached them to another place on the planet or to another Earth, for the bachelor party (thus making it impossible to just call them). Heck, they could've had the guys go to a marathon showing at some movie theatre (meaning they not only would have their phones off, but would be occupied for several hours) and the women don't have time to wait for them (nor is running into the film screening to get them an alternative).

Quote Originally Posted by jon-el
    Meanwhile, the writers have the women go around talking about how they're strong and keep saying hashtag feminism (who the hell says "hashtag"? They're all near or above 30). Because saying stuff like that constantly proves that they're stong, independent women. Seriously, let their actions speak for themselves. You don't need to constantly remind us, that you're doing (or rather, trying to do) female empowerment. The rule of film is "show, don't tell". If a character is the world's greatest detective, show him/her be the world's greatest detective. Don't have the character just stand around and point out 500 times, that he/she is the greatest detective in the world.
    I agree with this as well. although I got the feeling that the writers were having the characters say hashtag feminism as a joke... but that was just me.
    They didn't need to carry on the joke for what seemed like five minutes though.. just saying it once would had been enough.

Honestly, the episode felt a lot like filler material but the good news is that it was fun-to-watch filler material, which is good because that's a huge step from the constant melodrama from last season.

This season has been trash so far

Forum Whiz
    Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post
    This was okay, a sort of bachelor/bacherlorette filler ep. so they can bond before the crossover.

Caitlin finally comes clean about KF and -- no surprise to the fans -- also acknowledges the reality that she and Iris aren't the closest of friends even though they've known each other 3 years. They may be finally changing that now, Iris' wedding forcing the show's hand, but they've rarely interacted outside of Team Flash work. Related: Felicity attending their party can only mean that she and Iris have been buddying up a lot in OffscreenVille.
    If only Snow called herself out on something similar when she said the horrible quote "She was loved here". Barry and Cisco were the only two Flash characters to work with Laurel on screen directly, there were zero mentions of any of the Flash girls or Wally/Joe associating with her off screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast