Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#4.7 "A Day in the Narrows" Countdown/LIVE Discussion Thread!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #4.7 "A Day in the Narrows" Countdown/LIVE Discussion Thread!

New Gotham tonight! Talk about it live and then let this be the episode thread!

Here are some pics:

Add more credibility to your site - get a premium domain today. Straight-forward shopping experience.

The episode, for me, was as uneventful and slow as last week.

The infighting between cops and the tension between Gordon/Harvey felt so forced and ate up a lot of screen time.

I already figured out who Pyg was when I saw Michael Cerveris' name in the opening credits of the episode, so no surprise there (although I do think that is GREAT casting! He was so good on Fringe).

Penguin's scene inside the orphanage (and his killing of Headhunter at the end) and Bruce trying to interact with kids his own age were the main highlights for me.

I also loved how Gordon ran into the line of fire without having to think about it.

Other than that, I thought it was a so-so episode.

I'm hoping next week is better, though.

What dd everybody else think?
    Last edited by Aries83; 11-02-2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I agree, it was a so-so ep. But at least it did seem to give us some small amount of character development, so there's that.

Comment

I didn’t buy Bruce’s turn as this playboy. He went from 0 to 6O in a snap; buying the club, drinking, making out with the girl. It’s a persona that needs to be developed/evolve moving forward; not just out of nowhere.

Comment

It did seem a little fast how he went from being a uptight person to this playboy persona. But, at the same time it wasn't entirely unrealistic to me.
          It seemed like he was figuring out how to channel that anger he had in a more productive way... by acting like a douchebag in the right setting instead of beating the crap out of that guy.

The only gripe I had with the bruce scenes, was the fact that he straight up told his peers that he used to fight crime. I was like "Dude, what are you doing?" at that scene.
          I mean, what if they figure out that he's batman down the road?

Comment

I liked this episode, personally. I think it featured 3 different arcs and I wouldn't say any of them felt like a waste. Pyg won't be anyone's cup of tea, but I feel that he's carrying the show as its main villain very well until now. I liked how he had Jim and the cops on a wild goose chase for most of the episode. Cerveris truly is a terrifc in the role.

Things between Jim and Harvey are going from bad to worse. It's an intriguing storyline (with the captain's chair also thrown into the mix soon), but I feel that Harvey's resentment at the very end felt contrived. If anything, he should be grateful that Jim prevented things from getting worse. Not sure what was the point of the Headhunter. Maybe give Penguin someone to kill?

Bruce's storyline didn't surprise me actually. Obviously he has made strides towards becoming Batman, but he's still a 16(?) year old teenager who's had zero social life and who just comes off a huge shock. It's only natural that he loosens up and gets wild as soon as a pretty girl is attracted to him. I just hope Bruce becoming an out of control party boy isn't something they will explore for the rest of the season. And yeah, revealing his crime fighting was dumb as hell.

It was nice to see the sirens back. Barbara didn't show any signs of whatever Ra's did to her.

Comment

The whole Jim/Harvey dynamic is the most interesting thing here because it highlights how different they are and the huge strain on their relationship: Jim wants to do the things the honest, right way, which is admirable but Harvey is more of the realistic, pragmatic way, him being there longer and all. That scene where they're working together in the Narrows showed a lot. On one hand I sided with Jim because he's trying to do this in a straight-laced and honest fashion, but then with Harvey and Penguin they weren't pulling any punches. At least until "Headhunter" threatened to kill the sickly man and then I lost sympathy for them.

Bruce's storyline was kinda funny yet odd. As it was mentioned, him just blurting out "I used to run on rooftops and fight crime" was a big WHAT? to me. That was stupid to say, but I think those other kids passed it off as a joke. Then there was a couple moments later where he daydreamed about beating the other kid to a pulp, so clearly between that and snapping at Alfred and a waiter at his house is telling me he's still unstable from killing Ra's al Ghul. I was, however very amused at his playboy billionaire antics at the club up until the end of the episode. Reminded me way too much of Tony Stark before the Iron Man suit. Based on the look, David Mazouz was simply having a blast filming that scene, in fact I think this is the most fun he's having right now.

As for Barbara, Selina and Tabitha, I didn't expect them to just close shop permanently and be done with it.

Comment

I enjoyed this episode.

I did kind of find Gordon semi annoying with his stance on things and like the scenes of Gordon admitting his own flaws and Penguin calling him out on it.

However at the same time I do enjoy his moral complexities of he tries to be what he portrays but Gordon due to the nature of Gotham can't always be that.

Remember this the guy who works willing with a vigilante in the future of Batman and his team of side kicks. So the morally uptight boy scout in season 1 was to far off from ever working with a vigilante but this Gordon, well he'll get there one day.

Also I frankly found season 1 boy scout Gordon to be more annoying then this Gordon.

However I was on Gordon's side by the end of the episode when he went in to rescues Harvey and his fellow officers when it was pretty clear nobody else would.

Yeah I can see what will make this guy as commissioner one day.

I liked the scene at the end of the episode where Gordon's actions inspired other cops with like that moment of the one cop refuses to accept a license, was a nice one. Kind of brings some hope back into the GCPD.

Which Harvey while I agreed with him on some points at the start of the episode, by episode's end he screwed up big time.

Now it's for sure ruff to see Gordon and Harvey's friendship falling apart along with watching as Harvey descends into drinking more and becomes more of a mess.

I think the true breaking point of Gordon and Harvey's friendship will come next week with Gordon getting offered the role of Captain and looks like from the promos of Harvey haying "You got what you always wanted" sounds like Gordon does actually get to be Captain.

For Bruce's storyline I didn't find it unwatchable or anything but not that real interesting.

I know they are using to show how Bruce kind of gets his playboy persona type of thing and spiraling downward due to killing Ras al Ghul.

However it will be nice to see when Bruce gets back to beating up criminals as a vigilante again.

All that being said Bruce causally buying the club and kicking the jerk out of his club, was a cool moment. Also shows how rich Bruce really is.

For the Selina, Tabitha and Barbara plot eh just indifferent really.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                  The only gripe I had with the bruce scenes, was the fact that he straight up told his peers that he used to fight crime. I was like "Dude, what are you doing?" at that scene.
                  I think he said it as a joke, mainly because he could tell they didn't take him seriously to begin with. Had they not wrote him off, I think he would've known to not say it.

Originally posted by costas22
                  I feel that Harvey's resentment at the very end felt contrived. If anything, he should be grateful that Jim prevented things from getting worse.
                  I agree. If I were Harvey, I would've been apologizing till I was blue in the face, especially for not trusting him to start with.

Originally posted by costas22
                  Barbara didn't show any signs of whatever Ra's did to her.
                  Somehow, I don't think we're going to find out exactly what was up with that hand touch until the Professor Pyg arc plays out.

Originally posted by AsteroidMike
                  At least until "Headhunter" threatened to kill the sickly man and then I lost sympathy for them.
                  I agree. It really bothered me that an old man on an oxygen tank was manhandled like that. That was too much. Also, the guy in the motorcycle gang killed with the bike was disturbing, too.

Originally posted by Haggard01
                  I liked the scene at the end of the episode where Gordon's actions inspired other cops with like that moment of the one cop refuses to accept a license, was a nice one. Kind of brings some hope back into the GCPD.
                  I liked that too. It's about time that his actions inspire some of the officers to do the right thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎