No announcement yet.

#4.5 "The Blade's Path"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #4.5 "The Blade's Path"

The forums were down yesterday so I wasn't able to put up a forum thread - but if you want to talk about the October 20 Gotham, do it here!
    10 - Great
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Bad
    0%

I gave it a 7, because it felt really slow in some spots. However, it held my interest.

I did NOT expect Bruce to kill al Ghul, so that was surprising. So was his wanting to die. Is he really dead, though? As soon as I saw the corpse, I immediately thought of Barbara (and how he "touched" her earlier in the episode). Did he transfer his spirit to her, and—if so—is he still alive? That can't be it, right?! I suspect he'll be body-jumping throughout the season, unless he really is dead.

As for Bruce, I was kind of scratching my head as to why Gordon/Alfred were so concerned about him crossing a line given that he already killed Alfred at the start of the season (unbeknownst to Gordon). Bruce already knows what it feels like to take a life (regardless of Alfred being brought back), so I kind of felt like there was no line for him to cross. Also, I'm fed up with Gordon giving Alfred the third degree about his parenting of Bruce. Gordon isn't with him all the time like Alfred is. He should stop passing so much judgement in that area.

The scenes between Sofia and Penguin were interesting. I'm wondering who is playing who, though? Penguin has to know he's being played, right? I suspect he does. Also, how the hell did Sofia manage to track down a 300 hundred year old recipe for Goulash?! Yeah, right!

I thought Butch's return/transformation into Solomon Grundy and his scenes with Nygma were the low point of the episode. Butch being thrown away like trash was really sad to me, but there just wasn't a lot there in terms of plot. I hope the storyline ends fast. Lee's return didn't help, either. As soon as that woman said, "doctor," I KNEW it would be her! Oh well. If it goes somewhere interesting, I'm ok with it, but the second she runs to Gordon, I'll flip!

An ok episode for me, but not the best. What did everybody else think?

Comment

I agree that Ra's Al Ghul has something bigger in mind for Bruce... I suspect that the whole wanting to die was just a ploy to lead Bruce down a dark path. otherwise why set up that scene with Barbara?

As for Alfred dying... I feel that doesn't count, because Bruce regretted it and he was brought back to life. I think it only counts as going down a dark path if Bruce actively wanted to kill somebody out of his free will, AND the death is permanent too.

Sofa and Penguin was the high point of the Ep for me, it was interesting to see the two of them play each other. I think it's reasonable for many people to know a 300-year-old recpice... after all if it was such a enduring recipe despite the fact that crops and food availability change over time, then it was bound to be popular with more than one family out there.

I loved seeing Butch come back as Solomon Grundy, but yeah, there wasn't much for him to do this ep. Hopefully he'll have a better role in the future.

Comment

Was there any worst way this episode could have ended in? Sheesh, I can't wait for another "dark Lee" storyline.

I am fine with the Nygma/Butch teamup. It's a new dynamic and both characters needed it, IMO. Grundy is in acquired taste, no doubt there. I hope his character becomes less one dimensional in the coming episodes. As for Lee, not sure how she figures into all this. Maybe she'll help Nygma get his IQ back.

Obviously the big talking point is Bruce killing Ra's. It's not something that I am against in principle. There is a standard no kill rule in Batman's life, but it works for me if the basis for that is Bruce regrettably killing someone. It now will be an integral part of Bruce's journey to become Batman. Quite frankly, the only thing that bothers me in all this is that Siddig's run on the show is probably over. He was delightful as Ra's.

As you guys have speculated, this might not necessarily mean Ra's is gone from the show. Maybe Ra's transfered his essence to Barbara during the prison scene. Which I guess means we should get ready for Barbara's Al Ghul.

The Sofia/Penguin scenes were ok. Looks like she will use any means at her disposal to break him. Even flirtation.

Jim seems to work best when he's involved with Bruce and Alfred's storylines.

Donald Logue appears to be working a lighter schedule this season?

Hopefully Tabby and Selina will return next week. Lucius too.

All in all it was another solid episode this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
          I agree that Ra's Al Ghul has something bigger in mind for Bruce... I suspect that the whole wanting to die was just a ploy to lead Bruce down a dark path. otherwise why set up that scene with Barbara?
          I agree.

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
          As for Alfred dying... I feel that doesn't count, because Bruce regretted it and he was brought back to life. I think it only counts as going down a dark path if Bruce actively wanted to kill somebody out of his free will, AND the death is permanent too.
          I understand what you're saying about it not really counting and why. I guess I'm coming from an emotional angle, thinking Bruce would never forget the way it felt to plunge the sword into Alfred's chest.

Originally posted by costas22
          Was there any worst way this episode could have ended in? Sheesh, I can't wait for another "dark Lee" storyline.
          Tell me about it, costas22! Then again, if whatever storyline they have planned for her leads her to set up her clinic in Gotham, bring it on.

I hope his character becomes less one dimensional in the coming episodes. As for Lee, not sure how she figures into all this. Maybe she'll help Nygma get his IQ back.
          Well, I hope she gets hers back FIRST before helping anybody else do the same!

Obviously the big talking point is Bruce killing Ra's. . . . it works for me if the basis for that is Bruce regrettably killing someone. . . . the only thing that bothers me in all this is that Siddig's run on the show is probably over. He was delightful as Ra's.
          I thought he'd be around for the rest of the season, honestly. It can't be the end.

Maybe Ra's transfered his essence to Barbara during the prison scene. Which I guess means we should get ready for Barbara's Al Ghul.
          That's what I'm thinking, too. He transferred his spirit into her and when he let out his last breath, he became Barbara Keane al Ghul Perhaps he needed Bruce to kill him with the dagger in order for him to gain the ability to body jump?

I certainly hope Barbara al Ghul runs into Gordon now...

The Sofia/Penguin scenes were ok. Looks like she will use any means at her disposal to break him. Even flirtation.
          Well, I still think he's carrying a torch for Nygma, but: It'll be hilarious watching her make a total ass out of herself before realizing he's not into women

Hopefully Tabby and Selina will return next week. Lucius too.
          The preview looked interesting. Professor Pyg is coming, whoever that is? I hope it's good
          Last edited by Aries83; 10-20-2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

A enjoyable episode

The stuff with Grundy and Nygma was humorous. Also just seeing Grundy on screen fully realized is nice to see in itself.

The stuff with Sofia and Penguin was just ok.

For Jim and Harvey in the episode I can see how they are furthering the set up for them having a falling out, from what the actors and showrunners described will happen.

Now for the main part of this week's episode is Bruce, Gordon, Alfred and Ras.

David playing Bruce well continues to play that role very well.

Which it was neat seeing Bruce silently sneak into Blackgate, I know it was all designed that way by Ras but it was kind of cool to see, just from he'll be doing that a lot as the years go on.
            Now Bruce killing Ras, I didn't see that twist coming at all.

I highly doubt Ras is going to actually stay dead, just from this is Gotham after all and well Ras al Ghul is known for his coming back to life in the comics and other media.

Besides just from the way Ras set everything up and wanted Bruce to kill him, eh something else is going on here. I'll be curious to find out, once Ras comes back what he was really up to.
            For Bruce well I can see how they will be using this to further his development into Batman and why he has such a strong no killing rule, in some versions anyway.

The scene with Bruce and Gordon near the episode's end was enjoyable.

I just hope Bruce isn't out for to long when it comes to not being a vigilante.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries83
              Well, I hope she gets hers back FIRST before helping anybody else do the same!
              One would hope! But it looks like it may be a while with these storylines they're sticking her in. As if they don't want her to be a straight faced character anymore. Just because it worked with Barbara, it doesn't mean it will work with Lee.

I thought he'd be around for the rest of the season, honestly. It can't be the end.
              We'll see. The actor wasn't a season regular, so I'm worried this might be it for him. Ra's will be around I agree, but maybe Siddig was too expensive and they opted to have Barbara channel Ra's instead.

That's what I'm thinking, too. He transferred his spirit into her and when he let out his last breath, he became Barbara Keane al Ghul Perhaps he needed Bruce to kill him with the dagger in order for him to gain the ability to body jump?
              It's possible. Especially if Ra's body was starting to fail him. Or, another scenario is that DC didn't want the show to use Ra's for more than a few episodes.

Well, I still think he's carrying a torch for Nygma, but: It'll be hilarious watching her make a total ass out of herself before realizing he's not into women
              That part will be interesting. Did they ever clarify if Oswald was gay or bi? Mind you, I don't want to see a Penguin/Sofia romance in any way. Imagine if we have a Jim/Sofia/Oswald triangle on the cards?

The preview looked interesting. Professor Pyg is coming, whoever that is? I hope it's good
              Apparently a Batman mythos character. Looks like he fits right in with the show's tone.

Comment

One would hope! But it looks like it may be a while with these storylines they're sticking her in. As if they don't want her to be a straight faced character anymore. Just because it worked with Barbara, it doesn't mean it will work with Lee.
                And look how long it took them to get Barbara to a place where she actually fit more into the overall story. Thompkins has a foothold in Batman's story in the comics, yet they've had so much trouble making the character relevant for the show.

'm worried this might be it for him. Ra's will be around I agree, but maybe Siddig was too expensive and they opted to have Barbara channel Ra's instead.
                I'm sure Erin Richards will do the best with what she's given. They could really go to some strange places if she is in fact a vessel for his spirit. For example, we know they are supposed to have children together somewhere down the line. If that happened now, that would mean Gordon would be having sex with al Ghul, which would make al Ghul the father AND mother of Gordon's children...

Did they ever clarify if Oswald was gay or bi? Mind you, I don't want to see a Penguin/Sofia romance in any way. Imagine if we have a Jim/Sofia/Oswald triangle on the cards?
                That would be so AWFUL! Now, I'm having flashbacks of the Gordon/Lee/Mario nonsense, too...

As for Oswald's sexuality, I don't think it's been confirmed that he's gay or bisexual. I view him as gay just because he did develop romantic feelings for Edward. I want Sofia to stay away from Oswald, though. Can you imagine the fake melodrama that would ensue if they went there?

For example, Oswald goes ape after he witnesses Sofia swapping spit with Gordon in the next room. Gordon then makes a sarcastic remark to Oswald as he leaves. Then, Oswald grimaces and vows to kill Gordon (while screaming at the top of his longs). Sofia locks lips with Cobblepot, calming him. Later, she calls Gordon behind Oswald's back and professes her undying love for him, unaware that Oswald is listening on another phone in a separate part of the mansion. He vows to kill them both. Sofia hears a knock at the door. It's Leslie, warning Sofia to stay away from her man Gordon (or else)...

Yeah, that would be a bad idea...

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎