Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Fallout?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Fallout?"

What did you think?

Pretty good episode. Though I was kind of expecting a few characters to leave this season. I really enjoy Canary/Quentin/Siren interplay I'm hoping Sara would come along soon too.

Laurel/Black Siren actually works. With her resurrection in the end there felt like something Damien Darkh would pull. Am I going to have to blame the Flash for this or the Legends?

I just posted about Iris revealing Team Flash's identity and Siren just did the same.

Comment

what a load of schlock. i found absolutely nothing redeeming about this festering pile of mucus. everything was more or less handled off screen. People wounded or killed where,if at all, just a passing comment. it's only a matter of time before it's nothing but a bunch of whiney goth kids trying to do something, and felicty will seem mary sue her way to solving all their problems and noone else will have to do anything because it's too hard or they're too sad or something to strip any and all character development out the window just for the sake of drama. once again noone will have to face up to any consequences for the actions of the past and it will be all swept under the rug with a throw away line in a future episode. Though fear not felicty will fix it all don;t worry. i give this premier 8 cats vomiting up hairballs out of 10.

Comment

I found all the Flarrowverse premieres to be similar in quality this year. No stinkers, but no one hit a home run either. They were all just ... okay.

Biggest non-surprise -- Samantha was never going to leave the island alive ... but not before extracting a deathbed parental promise from Oliver. Slade saw it too. Speaking of Slade, the bromance continues, but he did give Oliver fair warning that being a hero and a father may not be compatible.

The flashbacks didn't go away, as we got flashbacks to Lian Yu.

The puzzling part is Quentin confusing Black Siren with his actual (deceased) daughter. Different Laurel, dude, from a different Earth. She may as well be a redhead with glasses named Louise. Quentin's reasoning for mixing them up? He finds the idea of alternate earths crap. In a meta sense, the idea these shows all have a shared universe is only true during crossovers. Aside from that, Quentin treating E-2 Laurel as his own is contrived for melodrama's sake. They allude that Quentin is back to drinking, which might suggest he's not all there to begin with -- but yeah, not a fan of this method of giving Quentin something to do in S6.

Black Siren was the one who wasn't confused. She played Quentin like a fool. And, surprise, Dinah didn't get a chance to best her -- yet. BS and BC probably had a good Round 1, when we could actually see it. This is more technical, but they did that thing where you see the fight begin and then pan away to other action. They did that too in "Lian Yu". Oliver and Chase had a good fight in the monastery ... when the camera stayed on them. For all we know, they stopped to check phone messages when the camera pulled away.

What's up with Diggle? Did he have a Lian Yu injury he's not telling the team about? PTSD? Both? He wasn't on his game and Dinah picked up on it ... this part wasn't clear.

Wild Dog fans -- there's good news on the custody front.

Captain Pike lives! Walking wounded, but alive.

I think Felicity changed outfits every scene she appeared. Story aside, she was looking fiiiine.

Yeah Oliver is an instant dad and William was obviously damaged by Lian Yu ... but between his parental subplot and Quentin's rehashed guilt over Laurel (who I should add, again, is already dead), I didn't mind the Oliver and Son one so much. Lucky for him Raisa's got his back.

Channel 52 must now be the only news channel in SC and Bethany Snow its only anchor.: To be fair both are direct nods from DC Comics.

Oh and Green Arrow's secret identity? Not so secret.

7/10. Same mark I gave SG, Flash, and LoT premieres. They're all the same flavour this point.

Comment

^ Thanks for the review President Luthor. Prerdictably, folks that expected God-knows-what after being hyped up by a trailer, were disappointed (big mistake to believe in trailers). I actually don't expect anything special from "Arrow any more", except maybe Oliver remembering how to shot a bow, some Quentin angst and Wild Dog's abs. It seems all were present in the episode (archery included, hopefully).

Glad that Pike is alive. Samantha - it. was. so. damn. predictable. Awful, really awful trope to use. But all women who had sex with Oliver need to die to secure Olicity - besides she gave them their blessing, she could go. Also removing Thea for 8 or 9 episodes will give more time for shipping stuff/relationship drama.

It seems that Quentin could use some professional therapy from Doctor Pressnall. I'm afraid that his Laurel-angst might get him killed this season, as BS probably won't be anything more than mini-villian, similar to Cupid (coming back occasionally for 5 minutes, but without real focus being put on her e.g. flashbacks to E2).

Will share my thoughts when I watch the episode.

Originally posted by President_Luthor
          Oh and Green Arrow's secret identity? Not so secret.
          Hey, why they're copying ideas from my fan fics? It has been almost two years since I write a fic, where the Arrow's identity was revealed. #IWasThereFirst

Do you think than one of the Olicity shippers that left kudos on my work might be Marc Guggenheim in secret?

Comment

As the first episode of a season not as good as the pilot or 5.1. But good enough IMO. Like the developments - except for Thea being in a coma and thus not in the story. Samantha's death was predicted and I am okay with that. Predictably, William still having grandparents leaves the door open if they want him out to offscreenville one day. Liked Black Siren, Lance and Dinah. Pike is back in the picture - is it possible that he is Vigilante? I don't recall when Vigilante stopped appearing in season 5. Was it before or after Pike was hurt by Chase? A new enemy appearing to save Laurel - good teaser.

Dig having problems with shooting - is shooting his brother finally catching up with him? Felicity was not annoying, IMO, so that was good. I really liked the Oliver/William scenes . William was the prisoner of Chase for weeks - even leaving his mother's death and change of location and all aside: that should have made an effect on him. I hope we will see more of Raisa. Slade: Watching him and Oliver I do wonder if for some reason Slade is afraid of Oliver. I wondered that already in "Lian Yu". Slade always seems so hesitant when approaching Oliver as if Oliver would explode without warning. Any ideas?

Is it now the end of "mayor Oliver"? I suspect this time they still find a way to deal with it and the revelation.

I like the new flashbacks. I hope we will see more of what happened in the five months.

Comment

Originally posted by Freawaru
              Pike is back in the picture - is it possible that he is Vigilante? I don't recall when Vigilante stopped appearing in season 5. Was it before or after Pike was hurt by Chase?
              Can't be him. The actor for Vigilante was cast while production of season 6 was already underway. So, if it's a character that has already appeared on the show, it has got to be someone really obscure (e.g. a character that appeared in less than 2-3 episodes) for the recasting to work.

Comment

Someone just posted this on twitter and I hope it's OK to post it here. It's a pretty hilarious comment on a moment of singularly bad writing and acting from the season premiere. And the poster does have a point.....I know that the CW isn't HBO, but this is student film (amateur-ish) bad:

Comment

Originally posted by evaba
                  Someone just posted this on twitter and I hope it's OK to post it here. It's a pretty hilarious comment on a moment of singularly bad writing and acting from the season premiere. And the poster does have a point.....I know that the CW isn't HBO, but this is student film (amateur-ish) bad:

https://twitter.com/yeblod/status/918819672971149313
                  I actually find that comment insulting to student filmmakers. There are some student filmmakers, who have managed to get nominated for an Oscar with their graduation projects, e.g. short films. I doubt anyone that's currently working on Arrow is ever going to do so much as sniff at an Oscar nomination.
                  Last edited by shadow08; 10-14-2017, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Wow... Why am I not surprised of any of the Arrowverse reviews? Those I find able to make fairly balanced reviews aren't giving any high marks (I usually give 1-2 marks lower than these posters), the fans are praising the shows as if they were the best things since sliced bread (I maybe exagerating a bit [emoji12]) and the haters are ripping them apart (they do bring up 1-2 things they enjoy, I guess that's why they're still watching). The one thing I'm taking away from all the reviews is the biggest reason I dropped them, young teen romance (stories for 13-15 year old girls) disguised as superhero shows. Let feminists call comics soap operas for boys but this isn't that no matter how much they want to make us believe it.
                    Last edited by DoubleDevil; 10-14-2017, 05:09 AM.

Comment

I'm actually surprised that Paul Blackthorne hasn't pulled a Victor Garber yet and asked the producers to be released from his contract. Surely, he has got to be sick and tired of Lance's recycled addiction plotline by now. I, for one, am already sick of watching it. Seriously, this character should have been the one to die in season 4 instead of Laurel and I wasn't even a fan of hers.

Comment

I agree. It is tiresome seeing Quentin press the repeat button on his post-Laurel guilt and being off the wagon again. If they have more to say storywise about Quentin in the Arrowverse, I hope 'angst over Black Siren' isn't their only plan.

A lot of hay was made about how annoying or awful the Oliver and Son subplot was going to be, when in fact it wasn't the bothersome plot here. I actually didn't mind it so much. Of course it was going to be awkward between Oliver and William and overall neither of them overplayed it. There were no hysterics, it was rather understated. And actually William played distant and aloof quite well. The only glitch was his 'J'accuse', pointing at Oliver as the 'bad man' of his nightmare. That part was a bit CW-y for me.

The silly, sloppy melodramatic subplot in the premiere was Quentin's nonsensical inability to separate his actual (deceased) daughter from a total stranger from another earth. (I should add I totally support Black Siren milking Quentin or Oliver or whoever's misplaced sympathies and playing them like fiddles. If I were a heel, I'd do the same. If they're going to be idiots about it, as a villain I'd totally exploit their foolishness. They are making it easy for her.)

I feel that the character of Quentin Lance has contracted a bit of Malcolm Merlyn-itis. Which is: extending a supporting character's shelf life/best before date well past the character's usefulness/relevance to the story.

Malcolm has been slipping into irrelevance since S3, so by the time they had the gumption to write him off (we assume, if his death sticks) -- he had long ago stopped being interesting. He was the third wheel in the LoD, we all know Thawne was the real shot-caller in that group.

Quentin's managed to retain his presence over the years with hit-and-miss results. Rehashing old (and misplaced!) angst over Laurel's death just because Black Siren looks and talks like his baby girl is not the best use of him in my books. I thought maybe he might become mayor, be kind of the public face of the Green Arrow's mission if Oliver were to set aside his mayoral role -- and this could still be possible -- but it looks like the show is content for Quentin to go through repetitive angst and grief as his means to stay "relevant". He deserves better, and Blackthorne is capable of much more than what they're content to give him storywise.

I really hope they have more than that in store for him. If not, then maybe it is time for the show to cash in his long-standing medical issues and prepare his character's exit strategy from the series.

Maybe Quentin should have been abducted by aliens too during Invasion last year, so that he could have closure with Laurel in that matrix construct universe.

This season I gave all the Flarrowverse shows the same average marks for their premieres. I see little difference between them at this point. None are rookies, they work off similar playbooks, templates, formulas, etc. No one was exceptionally good, but no one was utter crap either. It was a mixed bag overall.

Arrow was always strongest in the action, and it was again in the premiere. My beef on this front is more technical/editing. Let some of the fights "breathe", etc. No need to cut away to another action sequence quickly just when BS and BC are throwing down, that sort of thing.

Comment

Not a bad episode.

Katie Cassidy is brilliant as a villain. Hope to see more of this as the season progresses.

Can't say I care about Oliver and his daddy issues. Don't think it's particularly well-acted either.

I liked seeing Slade, although I don't understand how he can be swanning around the hospital like that. Isn't he wanted? And if ARGUS somehow managed to get all the charges dropped, surely people would recognise him as a terrorist from a few years ago?

Speaking of ARGUS, considering how it is a big part of Arrow (especially last season and the premiere), I feel like they should have another recurring guest character besides Diggle's wife, who is a member of the organisation. Would make sense to me in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarice
                            ... I actually don't expect anything special from "Arrow any more", except maybe Oliver remembering how to shot a bow, some Quentin angst and Wild Dog's abs. It seems all were present in the episode (archery included, hopefully).

Glad that Pike is alive. Samantha - it. was. so. damn. predictable. Awful, really awful trope to use. But all women who had sex with Oliver need to die to secure Olicity - besides she gave them their blessing, she could go. Also removing Thea for 8 or 9 episodes will give more time for shipping stuff/relationship drama.

It seems that Quentin could use some professional therapy from Doctor Pressnall. I'm afraid that his Laurel-angst might get him killed this season, as BS probably won't be anything more than mini-villian, similar to Cupid (coming back occasionally for 5 minutes, but without real focus being put on her e.g. flashbacks to E2).

Will share my thoughts when I watch the episode.
                            The opening action sequence was pretty cool and I guess we could say the team has gelled a bit in the past six months. Still getting used to Wild Dog's new costume. Speaking Wild Dog, all I will say WD fans is Oliver walks into a room as Rene was changing his shirt. There was a plot reason why that scene was there, but we all know that wasn't why it was there. (Does nobody knock on doors before they go into a room any more? Geez, Ollie, give the dude some privacy.)

The weak link in the story was Quentin's angst-a-palooza over a complete stranger who just happens to look and sound like Laurel. Makes little sense that he's have some weird hang-up over Black Siren. And I did not buy his reason for rejecting the in-universe legit reason for E2 Laurel -- alternate earth. Calling it crap or crazy doesn't invalidate that she. is. from. another. Earth! The only plus is that I'm hoping E2 Laurel is a total heel and will use all this misplaced sympathy to play Team Arrow like a fiddle and make them dance to her tune. Maybe they have something else in store for Quentin, but so far his own subplot is meh.

Yes, he needs a sabbatical, therapy, maybe a stint on LoT as their human investigator/grumpy older guy to keep the kids in line, etc.

Other odds and ends:
                            A lot of weirdness with Dinah and Diggle. Some aftershows suggest that their interaction was hinting at some sort of bizarre attraction. I hope not, because it'll likely throw Lyla on the bus while making Dinah look like the hated stereotypical 'other woman/homewrecker'. Maybe it's nothing. If not, I'd be worried about the fate of Dyla. if they ditch ARGUS stories along with Lyla, that would be a bad move.

Samantha checked out faster than ... well, faster than Iris "cured" Barry in the premiere of his post-Speed Force babbling phase. At least she has the courtesy to give Oliver his parenting marching orders before she expired.

And Slade survived the cataclysm because -- he's Slade Wilson. Maybe he dove into an underground bunker as all hell broke loose ... but I doubt we'll get any explanation other than: 'Duh, he's Deathstroke and he's amazing!!!' And it is odd Slade can walk around in public in SC in the present-day scene -- he should be a wanted man after S2.

Comment

It wasn't a great episode, they dropped the ball on the inheirant drama waiting to be explored with cliffhanger and instead of playing that out in a linear fashion (and how easy would that episode have been to write) they decided to focus on the present and use the episode to just do a lot of set up and housekeeping for the coming season. Which is offen what the opening episode does, get us caught up on what's happened while we were gone and give up a look at where the show is going to go that season, which works except for when you actually end on a cliffhanger.

The only reason to have a true cliffhanger is if you are going to pick up where the show left off and turns out all those impossible bombs to escape unless they got off the island, actually wasn't a big deal at all. The solution was get in the plane? They probably could have hung out in Oliver's old plane in the forest and been just a safe. So that was a let down after a lot of build up. Slade leaving to survive on his own ended up making him look really dumb since surviving turned out to be so simple. And of course it made Samantha look that much stupider, but just in case it wasn't stupid enough, they had her walk in and be fine just long enough to pass on herson and die. I laughed aloud and I know I wasn't supposed to but it was one of the worst deaths I've ever seen.

I'm not one of those that was screaming all summer that the explosion needed to kill a bunch of people. I'm fine with nearly everyone surviving (I mean, I think they implied even Evelyn stuck in a cage in the middle of the island survived!!!) but there should have at least been peril that the survivors had to survive! So huge fail there. But it is what it is. A dumb choice but moving on.

I actually had a bigger issue with Lance's secret about shooting E2 Laurel. I can't understand at all why it was a secret and the way it played out, it seemed that it was DINAH that was feeding Lance's guilt. She was the one that immediately started acting like he had something to be ashamed of. For the first time it really made me dislike Dinah. Quentin I can forgive for his messed up thinking but I blame Dinah for being the one that kept him wallowing in his guilt and his delusion. They made such a fuss about the secret but absolutely no one on the team judged him for shooting NotLaurel. Except Dinah. Sigh.

Actually, I guess that was my other complaint about the episode. Too much Dinah. She was the major player with Lance and then with Diggle's issue and of course against Black Siren. I probably would have been more accepting if I wasn't radically rethinking her judgment based on what she did with and too Lance.

I am really disappointed that he got sucked into the thinking BS has anything to do with his Laurel. I was so happy when he got the clear distinction in the finale'. But I guess they had to walk that back to give BS any kind of connection to the other characters or she'd just be another random bad guy.

Most of the scenes with Oliver and William were fine. Not the "bad man" scene. That was as bad as the promo made it out to be. Still doesn't make sense that the solution to William seeing Oliver as the bad man in his dreams was Oliver promising to always be there for Willaim. I wish they'd had him just openly angry that his mom died because of who Oliver was. It's a reasonable thing to be upset about so why they didn't go there, I don't know.

Nit pick. It seemed like Willaim had the world's earliest bedtime. It's time for dinner, he goes to sleep. Oliver is still getting ready to go to the Police Graduation at City Hall and William has already been in bed long enough to wake up from a nightmare? Does this kid go to bed at like 6pm?

The scenes between Oliver and Felicity were very brief but cute.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎