No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "The Flash Reborn?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by President_Luthor
    It was alright. Barry snapping out of his Speed Force insanity, just because Iris was in danger was As was the spat between Cisco and Iris over saving Barry.

I'm liking conflicted Caitlin. She was on pretty much for the whole premiere too. My impression is that she's still having difficulty keeping her KF side contained, but of course she's keeping it a secret from the team. She can wear jeans all season long in my books.

Iris desperately needs something to do if she's not a reporter any more. So they made her team lead. It's, uhh, something, though it'll take time to be convincing.
    yeah, but caitlyn hasn’t seemed to learn about how harmful keeping secrets from your team can be. It’s like she’s this seasons barry.

Comment

Am I the only one that's getting frustrated with how super speed is depicted in this show? They tell us Barry is 5 times faster than normal, yet it takes him awhile to catch up to, then catch the robot Samurai. Also, Kid Flash gets handled pretty easily, and stabbed by a thrown sword. It seems like at times, they forget the Flash and Kid Flash have speed based powers.

Comment

Pretty good episode Vibe and KF team up was good but I miss Tom Cavanaugh already. Harry and Jessi moving to this Universe while trying to figure out how to bring Barry back would be more believable.

The Samurai being a robot kinda explains how he managed to beat KF. KF isn’t faster than a computer as a means of warning shot from the villain it works against the Flash.

The most annoying aspect is Iris. Aside from her questionable “leadership” and her “tactics” are dumb.

Goes to Bad guy Take me hostage and the Flash will come - Flash returns!

Iris West daughter of Joe sister of Barry Allan Barry Allan struck by Lightning in a coma Barry Allan wakes up; Flash first appears. Flash disappears; Barry Allan disappears. Flash reappears; Barry Allan reappears…

I don’t think you need to be a villain called The Thinker to figure out this one. From this you figure out Team Flash.

If anything Joe is the one I credit for bringing Barry back. Barry’s dads are his secret weapon.

Caitlin…
        I want Caitlin back but I also want Frost around. That said I don’t like what the writers are doing to her: Like she is two people in one body. I think it is better if instead if she has a lot of repressed anger and her repressing it is what is making Frost come out. I don’t know.

Barry
        I think he is channeling Dean Winchester circa Season 4. He knows what happened in the Speed force and his hiding it.

Comment

Originally posted by HalJordan4184
          Am I the only one that's getting frustrated with how super speed is depicted in this show? They tell us Barry is 5 times faster than normal, yet it takes him awhile to catch up to, then catch the robot Samurai. Also, Kid Flash gets handled pretty easily, and stabbed by a thrown sword. It seems like at times, they forget the Flash and Kid Flash have speed based powers.
          Yes and no.

On the one hand, the inconsistencies are ridiculous and distracting.

On the other hand, if Flash really could move that fast, he'd be unstoppable. You couldn't even hold a gun to a hostage's head, because he'd be able to disarm you before the bullet left the barrel. To me, super speed is the most OP power of all. If you can move faster than your opponent's brain can function, there's nothing you can't do.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
            Yes and no.

On the other hand, if Flash really could move that fast, he'd be unstoppable. You couldn't even hold a gun to a hostage's head, because he'd be able to disarm you before the bullet left the barrel. To me, super speed is the most OP power of all. If you can move faster than your opponent's brain can function, there's nothing you can't do.
            I guess I'm looking at like in the Flash comics. There was a story a few years ago where Flash had to evacuate a city before a bomb detonated or something. He had seconds to evacuate some large number of people, and he did it. The problem was, they attached specifics to it, which when worked out, made him like multiple times faster than light. I wouldn't have a such a problem, if they stopped trying to quantify exactly how much faster Barry was getting. Pointing out he's faster than any Speedster they've ever encountered before, then showing him be kind of mediocre in terms of what we see. It's very frustrating on a show about speed, to see that be one of my major hangups.

Comment

Bad storytelling. No other way to explain it.

Comment

I also see it as a limitation of live action TV. In comics it's easier to suspend our sense of disbelief because we're looking at still images that tell a story, and we can picture how fast he was going in our heads while still being able to keep up with the action.
                And with animation we can also visually show that without breaking the cgi budget, etc.

Live action? It's harder to do with real people, etc. And the creators want the viewers to be able to visually keep up with the flash while he's moving... so as an result to us he seems slow, not fast. At least compared to the comics and animated version.

Comment

I don't think that's really the problem here. Once you say he can move this fast, then you say he can move 5x faster than that, you can't then show him struggling to keep up. This feels more like the problem a lot of creators have with Superman. Once you show him juggling the moon, he can't have problems lifting a car.

Comment

Yes and no.

Nah, healing factors like Wolverine's are the most broken/over powered super powers ever. Takes away ANY sense of urgency at all when you know the character is basically immortal. The one loophole they did find to kill him in Logan was probably one of THE few ways to kill him besides MAYBE straight up decapitation, even bullets to the head couldn't kill the guy.

That said, this episode was more of a disappointment than anything...I was hoping for at least a COUPLE of episodes with Wally and Cisco in the field as a team. Instead we get an instant cop out from Cisco so the show's main star can be rescued, and if Cisco thinks his gizmo fooled the Speed Force then he's an idiot. Nothing like this happens with out the Speed Force's knowlng, they let him escape for a reason. And I think Barry knows what that is and I still think Barry's wall writing has something to do with it. Either way this is all going to come back and bite Team Flash in the ass in the end as it always does. Count on it.

Iris needs a repackage/reboot, asap. She needs to go back to her reporting roots and needs a fresh start, because I'm getting the sense that she's running out of steam as a character if all they could do for her was glue her to Star Labs as temporary leader. Ick. The CW is really rearing its ugly head as a network on her.

I dunno. At the rate the directions these CW shows are going, I really am debating dropping the whole lot of them. The CW just can't help themselves with sacrificing character and writing for melodrama, it just can't. Add that to the fact that now it's not even bothering to try to hide it's childish political agendas both in production and behind the scenes, and it looks like they really don't have a bright future.

Right now Fox's The Gifted and Gotham are THE top notch aces for Comic TV shows. If worse comes to worse I'll always have those two.

Comment

I don't think that's really the problem here. Once you say he can move this fast, then you say he can move 5x faster than that, you can't then show him struggling to keep up. This feels more like the problem a lot of creators have with Superman. Once you show him juggling the moon, he can't have problems lifting a car.
                      I didn't see anything like that in this ep though. They slowed down the action so that stuff like the windmills were falling down in slow mo, etc. He wasn't struggling to keep up, he was being strategic for once by using the windmills against the samurai robot.

Of course that shows an unusual amount of intelligence from Barry, which makes me suspicious. Normally he can't do anything without star labs holding his hand for him.

Comment

Originally posted by TyrantLord
                        Nah, healing factors like Wolverine's are the most broken/over powered super powers ever. Takes away ANY sense of urgency at all when you know the character is basically immortal. The one loophole they did find to kill him in Logan was probably one of THE few ways to kill him besides MAYBE straight up decapitation, even bullets to the head couldn't kill the guy.
                        I'll disagree. Super speed is probably the worst stray up overpowering ability, next to omnipotence. Talk about taking away any sense of urgency. Look at comics Flash. The guy can literally out run time. He has a punch that could decimate a planet. The guy thinks fast, reacts fast, moves fast, and essentially can solve most problems before people even know they are happening. It was actually a point made in the Kingdom Come storyline, that Wally was so fast, he was stuck perpetually at lightspeed. He raced around Central City righting wrongs so fast, it was an essential Utopia. It's the problem with superspeed. If you don't have some way to essentially reign it in, you have no more conflict.

Comment

For a season opener, it was pretty decent. What I didn't like was Iris being a bit annoying to Cisco and co. in regards to bringing Barry back. I also kinda scratched my head when Joe mentioned Iris was in danger and Barry just immediately snapped out of it. So "Iris is in danger" is a trigger phrase or deus ex machina now? Despite him being in the Speed Force for months and his mind is basically scrambled but that magically unscrambles it. Though part of me thinks it isn't totally cured and the end of the episode was just him temporarily being okay.

Aside from those things, I did like other things in the episode. Like them being a team without Barry, which was cool to see Cisco and Wally take on bad guys by themselves and be somewhat effective, according to Iris. Also, the joke with Cisco claiming he hates teleporters while being able to make portals of his own.

Also, Thinker looked cool, despite my first impression being a cross between Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget and a Borg drone.

I do wonder if later episodes show or at least explain what Barry was just doing in the Speed Force for 6 months.

Comment

I personally enjoyed the episode. I am irritated about the depiction of speed. Barry coming out of the Speed Force all confused makes sense. Guy was literally experiencing past, present, and future over and over again if not all at once while he was in the Speed Force. We know this because a lot of the dialogue he was saying is either something that was said in the past or something that might be said in the future. Such as, "We're going to need more diapers." Which is a reference towards the tornado twins.

Some of the dialogue was cheesy, but hey, It's the CW. And it's a lighthearted comic book show. As a massive fan of the Flash (he's my favorite superhero and I have I don't know how many Flash shirts), the show is pretty good for what we're getting. My biggest problem with the show is probably their depiction of Iris West, and she is a far stronger character in the comics and her and Barry have great chemistry.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎