No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Girl of Steel?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Girl of Steel?"

What did you think of the Supergirl season premiere?
    10 - Awesome
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Emo Barry ruined Flash. We don't need Emo Kara.
    0%

Starting the third season with an unlikable Supergirl is not a good idea. 3/4's of the premiere saw her being dark until towards the end. I think the next episode may see her break down.

To see Supergirl kick butt and take names on her own is something is something that should have happened most of the time last season. Love that underwater sequence.

Everyone has roles to play in relation to Supergirl, especially James as this was the James we should have gotten from last season. He did well without the Guardian nonsense.

Winn is starting to take a leadership role in the DEO and I like seeing Lena conflicted in addition to her conflict with Morgan Edge.

Reign is a great addition to the cast. She will likely be Supergirl's own Doomsday and I think there will be parallels between the two.

Welcome back to TV Erica Durance, who did well as the new Allura!

A decent start to the third season.

Comment

It was alright, at least the heroic SG parts. Those were cool.

And, was that Jimmy sitting in on CatCo board meetings, then giving his reporters marching orders and ... laying down the law to a petulant Kara as her boss? More of this Olsen please.

As for the Kara segments, the ep ran not five minutes before my favourite word on SG showed up: potstickers. That could only mean one thing -- somebody cannot catch a break! This time it's the lead herself.

Alex was right to call it a pity party, because it was. Kara was annoying with all that pouting over Mon-El and wanting to give up her Kara identity. She compounded it by raising that superhero flaw that justifies Batman keeping kryptonite in reserve -- the whole messianic God complex. Sure she's bitter about the Mon-El stuff ... but she goes on to say she's better than humans and gloating about how SG saves the world. All that gushing press from CatCo getting to your head, Last Daughter of Krypton?

She needed a helluva lot of pep talking to get her head straight. And it still took dreaming about Mon-El to get her back into the game.

Morgan Edge is here! I'm curious to see what he'll do.

The latest Alex/Maggie speed bump was typical CW fluff, all for the sake of melodrama.

And Supercorp was unintentionally white-hot as usual. Lena, invite Kara over to a slumber party already. Winn and James wish they had even one gram of Lena's chemistry with her haha.

7/10. That's as high as I can go. Marks docked for bratty Kara, Alex's pre-wedding angst-a-palooza and related melodrama.

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
        What did you think of the Supergirl season premiere?
        A pretty weak season premiere. I hope the show gets better as the season advances.

Comment

Did anyone catch the part where Alex says Kara worked her "whole life" to become a reporter. Uh, nooo she didn't?! She didn't know what she wanted to do most of S1.

At best, she worked a couple of weeks to become one. And she barely worked at CatCo at all last year. Now, she couldn't even get around to doing an interview -- with her SG self! -- because of the Mon-El angst. She needs to spend more, not less, time at CatCo.

Comment

I'm going to put aside the part where everything CatCo is just ridiculous. Like everything.

This was, in my opinion, far and away Melissa Benoist's best performance. She was totally believable as a broken down woman on a mission. She made just enough sense to have a point and was just batnuts crazy enough to show that she also wasn't thinking clearly at the same time. Ticked off Kara was even a little intimidating. Well written. Well acted. I appreciated that she got to express some frustration without them forcing her to cry. The showrunners seem to be under the impression sometimes that women can't be emotional without tears.

The villains were a bit of a throwaway. Having watched the whole episode, I can't say I even remember what they were trying to do. Ruin Supergirl's day, I guess? Did they want something?

The introduction of that woman who realizes she has super strength was a poor effort. First off, it feels like a total ripoff of Smallville. Second, we have four television series on now that involve people suddenly realizing that they have powers. Couldn't we have skipped right to the point?

How messed up would it have been if Alex asked J'onn to walk her down the aisle AS her Dad?

I can't pretend like I cared about everything that happened in this episode, but Melissa Benoist brought it this episode, so I definitely enjoyed it overall.

Comment

Based on last season premiere, Supergirl didn't really earn the right to go dark. It would make sense for her to go dark if something were to happen to the Danvers family. It was character assassination for her to be defined by her relationship by Mon-El as it negated everything else. Smallville had the same problems as well.

Comment

Not taking anything away from MB's efforts, but if they really wanted to sell that Kara was having an identity crisis stemming from her serious funk over the Mon-El incident, then I would have felt more sympathy for her during those times Alex and James told her to snap out it. I didn't.

I was on-side with James and esp. Alex. They came off as reasonable and justifiably worried. Kara half-heartedly tried to frame it as an identity crisis aka was she SG first or Kara, but I didn't buy it ... esp. when only a vision of Mon-El snapped her out of her funk in the nick of time. She had can't-catch-a-break-itis.

It did come off as a too--long pity party in Kara's case. I would even question why her friends would let her remain in that "dark" space as long as they did -- four months if they abide by real-time parameters. Maybe they could have sold it better had we seen Kara over several eps. distance herself from her friends and life, and struggle with her increasing SG duties and job responsibilities -- but then we'd have fans saying SG is getting too dark.

The way they did it in one ep. was more rushed. Maybe they intend to expand on the SG v. Kara identity theme later this season? If not, it was used as some ploy to make her Mon-El angst look more complex than it is.

Comment

I thought it was a great ep overrall.

Yeah, the Mon-el angst stuff was pretty weak, but I liked how she coped with it. Much better than watching Clark brood in his barn fortress every time things went south with Lana AGAIN in smallville. heh.

I liked how kickass she was in this ep regardless of why she was doing it.

But at the same time I also liked how her friends were willing to call Kara out on her ******** instead of doing the whole "The main character is always right because he/she's a superhero!" that was often a problem on some other shows.

Overrall, I thought it was a enjoyable episode.

Comment

Barn brooding. I think people brooding with potstickers is the substitute in this universe.

At least Kara had the sense to do most of it offscreen during the summer break. And I do give them kudos for not giving her the 'Because I'm Supergirl/the lead superhero!!!' pass and they called her out.

SG being a superhero was the cool part of the premiere. It's the angsty coating that tends to leave a bad aftertaste. Looking at you, Mon-El and Sanvers. (Though only an automaton would have felt nothing as Alex asked Hank to walk her down the aisle.)

Jeremiah Danvers, meet Gabe Sullivan -- welcome to the 'Dads Can't Catch a Break Club'.

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor
                      Not taking anything away from MB's efforts, but if they really wanted to sell that Kara was having an identity crisis stemming from her serious funk over the Mon-El incident, then I would have felt more sympathy for her during those times Alex and James told her to snap out it. I didn't.

I was on-side with James and esp. Alex. They came off as reasonable and justifiably worried. Kara half-heartedly tried to frame it as an identity crisis aka was she SG first or Kara, but I didn't buy it ... esp. when only a vision of Mon-El snapped her out of her funk in the nick of time. She had can't-catch-a-break-itis.

It did come off as a too--long pity party in Kara's case. I would even question why her friends would let her remain in that "dark" space as long as they did -- four months if they abide by real-time parameters. Maybe they could have sold it better had we seen Kara over several eps. distance herself from her friends and life, and struggle with her increasing SG duties and job responsibilities -- but then we'd have fans saying SG is getting too dark.

The way they did it in one ep. was more rushed. Maybe they intend to expand on the SG v. Kara identity theme later this season? If not, it was used as some ploy to make her Mon-El angst look more complex than it is.

It's like the writers are trying to destroy Kara's character on purpose. I agree as Kara came across as unsympathetic.

Also there were better ways to introduce the villains such as Reign, whom we didn't until the climax of the episode.

I have to wonder what is the main arc of the season as the producers and writers had plenty of time plan during the hiatus.

Comment

I actually don't mind the angst, in and of itself. I mind that the writers mined the wrong context for it. Beyond the emotional connection to Mon-El, Kara should be mourning the fact that she didn't become Princess of Daxam, not for the title, but because part of her really wants to rebuild a world, and she'll never have that chance on Earth. Earth just doesn't need that help. However, she can't articulate that need yet and deflects with surface angst instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Raissa
                          I actually don't mind the angst, in and of itself. I mind that the writers mined the wrong context for it. Beyond the emotional connection to Mon-El, Kara should be mourning the fact that she didn't become Princess of Daxam, not for the title, but because part of her really wants to rebuild a world, and she'll never have that chance on Earth. Earth just doesn't need that help. However, she can't articulate that need yet and deflects with surface angst instead.
                          Oh, I actually like that. I mean, Kryptonians as an whole is pretty much a endangered species... I agree that if there was a chance to unite all the remaining Kryptonians in the entire universe and to rebuild she would jump at the chance. In comic and smallville continuity, this was one of the reasons why Kara went to live in the future. There was a existing colony of Kryptonians in the far future that didn't exist in the present.

Then there was Mon-El, who didn't seem to want that role at all the same way Kara did. In fact he kept on selfishly staying on Earth just so that he could sleep with Kara, etc. As we saw that gave Kara some conflicting feelings at the time. That's something she could angst about... the fact that Mon-el got a role he never wanted but Kara herself wouldn't had minded doing.
                          Yet, she couldn't leave her human family and earth behind... and she couldn't certainly ask her humans to leave their lives to come with her.

Hmm. Headcanon accepted.

Comment

Mon-El's motivation wasn't necessarily selfish (in the bad context). He wasn't staying on Earth just to sleep with Kara. He was a character who had his life plotted out for him from day one. He finally got an opportunity to forge his own path, and make his own decisions, only for his mother to show up, and try to force him to be the child she wanted, instead of the one she has. He's someone who has greatness thrust upon him, and doesn't want it. He wants to make his own way, forge his own path.

Kara, as has been pointed out, kind of longs for that greatness, and not in a vain way. She wants to help, she wants to lead, she wants to be the inspiration. She has to work for it, chase it, be worthy of it. Mon-El, just had to be born, and all of that gets laid at his feet. They are polar opposites, but that in essence worked, because they could complete each other. Kara accepted Mon-El for who he was, and supported his decisions. Mon-El served to elevate Kara.

Comment

In any other context with a different story background, I would had been on Mon-El's side when he wanted to be his own person.

But the thing is, if you're part of an endangered species that's in danger of dying out, then that kind of logic is just selfish. Especially when it turns out that you really can unite your people together to create a future for everyone. If he really wanted to be his own person, then he should've just found a way to rule differently than his mother wanted him to. Be a different kind of king.

If wanting to be something else other than being a king means it would doom his race, then yes that's very selfish. He didn't even care about his own people... just his own happiness.
                              Last edited by Aurora Moon; 10-12-2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎