Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Smallville came back in animated form would you watch it?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Smallville came back in animated form would you watch it?

Thanks to Vergon6 for bringing up the idea of animated films based on Bryan Q Miller's Smallville Season 11 storylines, I wondered if some day there was to be a continuation of Smallville would people here watch it and what form would they like it to be in and am now posting this thread with a poll to gauge the interests of the users of Ksite.

I'd like to throw out some ideas about forms such an undertaking can have:

1. Periodic releases in the forms of other DC comics based films like Batman: Under The Red Hood, Batman: The Killing Joke, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Superman: Doomsday, etc.

2. A prime time animated series featuring 1 hour episodes with adult themes (violence, blood, etc) much like Smallville was in its 10 season tenure.

3. An animated program with tamer plots that kids could watch that would be shown on weekends or weekday afternoons with episodes that are either 30 min or 1 hour

My personal pick would be #2, but I realize that animated series cost a lot these days unless they look like the horrible stuff you see on certain kid targeting networks, stuff like Teen Titans Go, ugh. I doubt we can ever get animation of the quality of Batman: TAS or those DC/WB films based on comics storylines on a weekly basis. So with that in mind, I wouldn't mind #1.

The main thing is, would it still have appeal? Has it been too long since the end of the series to revive it in such a way? My own gut instinct tells me that Smallville will never be revived in any form, but I guess stranger things have happened. I think they brought back a Full House sequel series on Netflicks and that show had been off the air for way longer. I do think that it it ever does happen it would be on Netflicks or some similar service.

If a return would happen, what would they even call it? My guess is if it returned as an animated series with 1 hour episodes, it would continue as season 11 where some storylines could be taken from the season 11 comics, but I'm betting not all the stories in the comics would be carried over to TV, so it would also have new plot elements that were never seen in the comics because they would have to cater to shippers (if they would even want to watch an animated series). If it would be brought back in periodic films that would be released, then they would probably just name the films based on certain storylines from the season 11 comics as opposed to calling them Season 11 Part 1, Season 11 Part 2, and so on.

What do you guys think? Would you even be interested in a continuation of the series? Which form would you prefer to see it in? Like I said, I have no hope or expectations of this happening but instead just wondering what others here want/think about this.
    In occasional animated movies
    0%
    As a primetime animated series (1 hour episodes) with adult themes (violence, blood, etc)
    0%
    As a kid friendly animated series on weekends or weekday afternoon (in 30 min episodes)
    0%
    It's been too long and I've moved onto other things
    0%
    I thought Smallville was a trainwreck towards the end & don't want it back in any form
    0%
    I'm just not interested in any plots they could possibly have after the season 10 finale
    0%

It could be possible.

WB is launching a streaming platform to compete with Netflix that is dedicated to just DC properties. They would want some incentives to get people to subscribe. The only two exclusives that we know of are Titans and Young Justice: Outsiders.

It could be cool; I don't know what format I would want it to be though.

I'm sure since they probably plan to include everything based off of DC characters they will have Smallville Seasons 1 - 10 and if people like it a lot they could make the animated stuff based on Season 11 comics.

Comment

I think it'd be best to wait a while before we get any kind of return of Smallville, if ever. 218 episodes is a LOT and there are so many other versions of the property. DC has often mined nostalgia - they've done it with Adam West's Batman and it's rumored there's a Wonder Woman Lynda Carter animation coming eventually - but I think they'd sooner go with the past before something like Smallville just yet.

For example, I'd be way more into a Lois & Clark continuation with Dean and Teri for now.

Wait until at least 2021 - when Smallville's been gone for a while and the other DC TV stuff has run its course - and then maybe it might be time. But right now, while it might be exciting if it were to be announced, I don't think it's time yet.

Comment

That makes sense. I definitely remember the 80's Filmation Batman cartoon with Adam West & Burt Ward and that too was a while after the 60's series had ended. I heard they even made a 2nd animated continuation of that show recently before Adam West passed away.

Comment

I'd be fine with animated movies based on the Season 11 comic books, but not an animated TV series.

Although, I'll be honest-- I thought they kind of screwed up things near the end of the TV series and some stuff in the comics didn't really do anything to fix that. The comic series had Tess be brought back as a hologram with her consciousness intact after she was killed off so many times. I thought that was clunky writing to be honest.
          And I hated how they kept the bit where Lex lost his memories but were pretty much discarding some other smallville continuity stuff.

And plus, a lot of times the comics felt like it was set in the main superman comic universe instead of inside the smallville universe due to how the artists didn't really keep on any of the actors' likeness, etc. And also disregarded some smallville canon. It was like they were merely stories that was very loosely based on Smallville with no regard to canon stuff at all.

I do love the Smallville season 11 Supersuit though.
          Last edited by Aurora Moon; 08-17-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Id b down for anything, but for me, id be happiest with occasional animated movies. The DC Animated movies always make my day and if they had the SV cast involved in that, ill pick those things up!

Comment

I'd go for either an adult-oriented series or animated movies.

Comment

I think that doing 'Season 11' as a series of animated movies might be a good idea.

Comment

When I suggested this idea, I knew the likelihood that such a thing would be proposed in reality, let alone picked up was very very small. I just miss the show and I thought it would be a cool idea ala the Buffy the animated series that never happened.

Comment

Never say never. Tom Welling has said recently hed be open to reprising the role of Clark on The Flash so i could see him doing an animated movie or series.

Comment

I'd be down for it (though, I think a season 12 comic might be more probably, given the recent multiple Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77 comics). Reread the final mini series, Continuity, recently and thought they ended on an interesting note. They had Tess become Red Tornado (even if she hasn't yet been shown to take on the codename) and the proto-League officially becoming the Justice League (with an apparent line-up of Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Martian Manhunter, Red Tornado (Tess), Green Lantern and Green Arrow). The Tess stuff alone would be worth some exploration. Between minor things like her taking the name "Red Tornado" and setting up a new human (secret) identity for herself. She couldn't become "Tess Mercer" again. She's legally dead and she wouldn't be able to prove that she's actually her. She's an android now, so she can't take a DNA test. If she did try, Lex could use the corpse of her original body to disprove her claims of being Tess Mercer.

In the season 11 comic, they also established Barry Allen (and Wally West) as being a real person. They could have him show up and join the League (replacing GA, who was shown starting to set up the Outsiders, by the end of Continuity).

Even on the Clark Kent/Superman front, they have some stuff they could explore. We haven't yet seen Perry White become the editor of the DP, nor Jimmy Olsen joining the paper. They could resolve some unfinished things from the show. Resurrect Livewire and Neutron. Bring back some of the villains, that Clark encountered during the show. Example, they had Parasite on the show, but he hadn't yet become a bald purple creature (have him fully develop into the comic book character). Have Silver Banshee escape the underworld again. Fix the whole Morgan Edge thing from season 3 (though, given the age of Rutger Hauer, I'd be more inclined to call his character and adaptation of Vincent Edge and the father of the canon character). Have an imp from the fifth dimension show up and steal Mikhail Mxyzptlk's identity (see my last post for the episode "Jinx").

And that's just some of the things that they could do. I'm sure we all have our own ideas of what they could do with a season 12 comic. Personally, I'd probably fix the whole Lindsey Harrison thing (liked the character. Thought the twist ending was terrible and stupid).

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                        I'd be down for it (though, I think a season 12 comic might be more probably, given the recent multiple Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77 comics). Reread the final mini series, Continuity, recently and thought they ended on an interesting note. They had Tess become Red Tornado (even if she hasn't yet been shown to take on the codename) and the proto-League officially becoming the Justice League (with an apparent line-up of Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Martian Manhunter, Red Tornado (Tess), Green Lantern and Green Arrow). The Tess stuff alone would be worth some exploration. Between minor things like her taking the name "Red Tornado" and setting up a new human (secret) identity for herself. She couldn't become "Tess Mercer" again. She's legally dead and she wouldn't be able to prove that she's actually her. She's an android now, so she can't take a DNA test. If she did try, Lex could use the corpse of her original body to disprove her claims of being Tess Mercer.

In the season 11 comic, they also established Barry Allen (and Wally West) as being a real person. They could have him show up and join the League (replacing GA, who was shown starting to set up the Outsiders, by the end of Continuity).

Even on the Clark Kent/Superman front, they have some stuff they could explore. We haven't yet seen Perry White become the editor of the DP, nor Jimmy Olsen joining the paper. They could resolve some unfinished things from the show. Resurrect Livewire and Neutron. Bring back some of the villains, that Clark encountered during the show. Example, they had Parasite on the show, but he hadn't yet become a bald purple creature (have him fully develop into the comic book character). Have Silver Banshee escape the underworld again. Fix the whole Morgan Edge thing from season 3 (though, given the age of Rutger Hauer, I'd be more inclined to call his character and adaptation of Vincent Edge and the father of the canon character). Have an imp from the fifth dimension show up and steal Mikhail Mxyzptlk's identity (see my last post for the episode "Jinx").

And that's just some of the things that they could do. I'm sure we all have our own ideas of what they could do with a season 12 comic. Personally, I'd probably fix the whole Lindsey Harrison thing (liked the character. Thought the twist ending was terrible and stupid).
                        i have been wondering how they would handle Tess being legally dead as she now appears to look like the old Tess while using her human disguise. It would definitely cause some interesting scenarios. I am writing a story right now set in Season 12, where a newly resurrected Livewire will have an encounter with Tess while she is patrolling and she recognizes her. Haven’t decided whether Tess will appear in her human form or android form first. Also I would have livewire’s meteor freak green removed and her powers now purified to be more like bee comic and cartoon counterparts.

Yeah I agree that the logical next step would be bringing in Barry Allen. There is always a chance of Bart coming back as Wally and Barry have been resurrected in the comics. I have been thinking of putting a little Easter egg mentioned odd lightning storms in Central city on the news in the season 12 story I’m writing.

i would like to think that Perry became their editor not long after Season 11. I can’t say what the writers would do but I with my story have played around with the idea that the Crisis affected the timeline and the universe so things somewhat unfold they way we have seen but in some ways closer to the future flash in Salvation. Jimmy is resurrected 3.5 years after his death (now he is technically a few years younger than Lois and Clark) and it is revealed his real name is James Bartholomew Olsen but his dad (Henry Olsen) changed it to Henry to spite his ex-wife who named their son after he was overruled in the naming process.

in Injustice it seemed like Parasite could permanently take away powers but I would make it clear it was only temporary and he would meet some unfortunate fate that makes him a purple monster.

It’s interesting idea about Morgan Edge. I didn’t even think of that. My solution a story I wrote was to have a son named Vincent Edge, named after his grandfather, Vinny. I like your solution to the Mxyptlyk problem as well

What would you do with Lindsey Harrison?

In any case, I would love a Season 12 comic but I wish there was a way to bring these stories to life. Live action is not in the cards and maybe a cartoon is pushing it. Maybe motion comic?

Comment

Video of the AwesomeCon Smallville panel with Tom Welling & Michael Rosenbaum, where it is discussed what kind of a Smallville reboot project they might be interested in participating in.

Well, they'd be up for it. Now, if we could just convince WB/DC into replacing the planned Metropolis TV series, with the Metropolis TV series, that we'd wanna watch.

Comment

Yeah, I would love if Smallville came back in animated form. If not a regular season show, then I'll gladly take a animated movie 2-3 times a year.

Comment

I guess you could say this animated series idea was quite prophetic . Rosenbaum, if you’re watching and this happens, I want an creative consultant credit

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎