Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    That part of his interview also didn't make much sense. He's insinuating that he would have played Clark Kent on Supergirl, but I seriously doubt that was ever the part offered to him. The Berlanti shows have used numerous characters that we saw on Smallville, but not once were those parts offered to the same actors who played them on Smallville.

They probably wanted him to play a recurring character like Non or Snapper Carr. It's a pity he didn't feel up for it.
    Since they've already established a multiverse, it wouldn't be impossible to explain that the Superman on Kara's Earth looks the same as the Superman from SV's Earth. There's already precedent for it on Flash with all of the various doppelgangers. There's even precedent for characters who aren't the same to look like each other with Jay Garrick and Henry Allen.

It's also not impossible to imagine they asked him to appear literally as SV's Clark. We've heard from Grant Gustin that one of their goals on that show is to adapt Crisis on Infinite Earths. Wouldn't shock me if they've reached out to anyone and everyone who has ever played a live action DC superhero/character and at least asked the question, "If we did it, would you be in?".

Within reason, of course. I doubt they asked Christian Bale, for example.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 08-10-2017 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward Galaxy View Post
    Since they've already established a multiverse, it wouldn't be impossible to explain that the Superman on Kara's Earth looks the same as the Superman from SV's Earth. There's already precedent for it on Flash with all of the various doppelgangers. There's even precedent for characters who aren't the same to look like each other with Jay Garrick and Henry Allen.
    Well, I thought the implication was that Jay and Henry were the same. Henry mentioned that Garrick was his mother's maiden name. I just assumed on Earth-3 his name was different. But if we assume that '90s Flash is literally intended to be part of this multiverse (I don't unless they do something more explicit), we have a Barry that looks like Jay/Henry (and a Tina and a Julio who look the same).

It's also not impossible to imagine they asked him to appear literally as SV's Clark. We've heard from Grant Gustin that one of their goals on that show is to adapt Crisis on Infinite Earths. Wouldn't shock me if they've reached out to anyone and everyone who has ever played a live action DC superhero/character and at least asked the question, "If we did it, would you be in?".

Now that's a Crisis I can get behind. They'd better get George Clooney, though.

Quote Originally Posted by nate-dog1701d View Post
    Well, I thought the implication was that Jay and Henry were the same. Henry mentioned that Garrick was his mother's maiden name. I just assumed on Earth-3 his name was different. But if we assume that '90s Flash is literally intended to be part of this multiverse (I don't unless they do something more explicit), we have a Barry that looks like Jay/Henry (and a Tina and a Julio who look the same).
    I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that they are actually different people and they just used the familial connection to justify the extreme coincidence of them looking the same. But even if we treat the original intent of the 90s Flash snippet they used as only an Easter Egg and nothing more, it's not as if they've given us reason in-show to believe they can't change their minds and make the connection literal.

The only problem I foresee is if there are rights issues to take into consideration. It's still WB and it's still the CW, but part of me wonders if using a character from Smallville, for example, would involve them having to pay a fee to Smallville's producers. Would using Dean Cain as an older version of the Superman from Lois & Clark force them to pay a fee to that show's producers? That show also aired on ABC, so that's probably an issue. And so on, and so on, and so on... Things could get expensive very quickly.

To put it another way... why wouldn't they have already done it if it was easy? It feels like that's something fans would love to see and would score well in the ratings. At this point, I have to believe there's a reason they AREN'T doing it.

Regardless, it doesn't appear as if Tom wants in anyway. And it's a shame. Because if he did it now, I think a lot of fans would forgive him.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 08-10-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Honestly, I think the idea that all previous DC shows and movies could fall under the Multiverse umbrella is fan speculation more than anything. The Flash has done it loosely by adopting elements of the 1990 show within its canon (John Wesley Shipp playing a Flash version, Amanda Pays playing Tina McGee, Mark Hamilly playing The Trickster), but that was born out of Kreisberg's love for the 1990 show. In every other case, the actors who used to play a DC role in the past, wound up playing a completely different role in the Arrowverse (Dean Cain played Jeremiah, Teri Hatcher played Mon-El's mother, Laura Vandervoort played Indigo, Erica Durance will play Allura and so forth).

I don't think they would ever want Tom playing a Superman version because that would tie to Smallville and that's something the Berlantiverse tends to avoid. Besides, if Tom Welling were to play Superman on Kara's Earth, shouldn't his cousin look like Laura Vandevoort and not Melissa Benoist?
    Last edited by costas22; 08-10-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Honestly, I think the idea that all previous DC shows and movies could fall under the Multiverse umbrella is fan speculation more than anything. The Flash has done it loosely by adopting elements of the 1990 show within its canon (John Wesley Shipp playing a Flash version, Amanda Pays playing Tina McGee, Mark Hamilly playing The Trickster), but that was born out of Kreisberg's love for the 1990 show. In every other case, the actors who used to play a DC role in the past, wound up playing a completely different role in the Arrowverse (Dean Cain played Jeremiah, Teri Hatcher played Mon-El's mother, Laura Vandervoort played Indigo, Erica Durance will play Allura and so forth).

I don't think they would ever want Tom playing a Superman version because that would tie to Smallville and that's something the Berlantiverse tends to avoid. Besides, if Tom Welling were to play Superman on Kara's Earth, shouldn't his cousin look like Laura Vandevoort and not Melissa Benoist?
    I don't think it is a fan speculation thing, or even a creative thing, is what I'm saying. I think there are actual business reasons why they aren't doing it. And I think that because there are obvious business reasons FOR doing it. I think they'd see a ratings bump if they decided to crossover with past TV shows. I think people who don't even like Supergirl would tune in if there was a sizzle reel at Comic-Con of her fighting alongside Tom Welling's Superman, Brandon Routh's Superman, and Dean Cain's Superman. I don't think it's just that they don't want to associate themselves with the SV universe. I'm betting they actually have to pay those peeps if they do.

Board Master
    That part of his interview also didn't make much sense. He's insinuating that he would have played Clark Kent on Supergirl, but I seriously doubt that was ever the part offered to him. The Berlanti shows have used numerous characters that we saw on Smallville, but not once were those parts offered to the same actors who played them on Smallville.

They probably wanted him to play a recurring character like Non or Snapper Carr. It's a pity he didn't feel up for it.
    I was hoping to see him in Supergirl as Jor-El.

I agree with Bally that if they didn't earn Superman, then whatever they did in the 10 years before it justified why it wasn't earned.

Smallville had to end with Clark becoming Superman and there was no other way to end it. I've said at the time that Smallville ending and Superman beginning go hand-in-hand.

What has always perplexed me, and I think what always will, is why Tom (with, to his credit as being his own opinion) would agree to do a series that he had such reservations with in the beginning. Many will remember that Jensen Ackles actually auditioned for the part of Clark Kent in Smallville. That said, what I always enjoyed the most of Smallville is that (while telling the story/growth of Clark Kent) it showed you could have Superman without the (imo) contested suit. Certainly Tom has changed to some degree since the show ended (everyone ages) but I highly doubt that those changes could be compensated for should he have decided to even appear as Clark Kent in some other program. One of the things that always threw me in the show was how some characters were acting completely out of character from what they had been from say the past 7 or 8 seasons. The entire Clois escapade felt rushed, phony, and out of place. As others have said here, the mind-wipe that Lex experienced (for all intensive purposes) negated the entire series....sad.

Board Master
    It's pointless for him to say that going into full-on Superman reflects that they haven't earned it since the show wasn't going there anyways. The real issue was him not wearing the suit during the finale and that was the center of its controversy.

From what I understand he turned down Smallville twice before accepting it.

There could be other issues where WB's movie division may not want the show to have Superman that would clash with their plans.
    Last edited by vantheman77; 08-10-2017 at 07:36 PM.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that they are actually different people and they just used the familial connection to justify the extreme coincidence of them looking the same. But even if we treat the original intent of the 90s Flash snippet they used as only an Easter Egg and nothing more, it's not as if they've given us reason in-show to believe they can't change their minds and make the connection literal.
    No,I certainly don't disagree with your basic point. I just interpreted the Henry/Jay thing differently (and I'm sure we'll never get any more information on it). I don't think they're locked in to having all Barry Allens, Clark Kents, Oliver Queens, etc., look the same. Certainly, if the multiverse is infinite - I don't think they've ever confirmed a mere 52 Earths - the sky's the limit.

I really wanted them to do a Crisis like plot between the 2 (and potentially even more) Earths in Season 10 where the survival of the Earths would be at stake. I remember coming up with a plot for a Superboy/Superman-Prime in my fanfic season 7 that I had laid out & started but never finished where the Clark Kent of Earth Prime would be watching Smallville on TV where it would be a TV show. I forgot what events I planned following (I could've sworn I wrote or typed it out somewhere but I can't find it), but I think it involved a meteor shower or comet (like in the comics) that caused him to somehow end up in what was for Earth Prime the fictional universe of Smallville (Earth-1). I knew I named the episode Prime. It's such a shame that a plot like this never happened since Superboy Prime (or Superman Prime) is one of the most dangerous characters in the DCU and doing it in this way would have worked very well. Luthor & Kent were my 2 favorite episodes of that season and it would have been a FAR better plot for Clark to save not only Earth-1 but help in the saving of every Earth along with his counterparts of those Earths and some other heroes compared to the lame Darkseid plot we got where they never had the proper budget to have an actual Darkseid along with his minions like Desaad not possessing anyone but in their own bodies to fight Clark. This combined with an Intergang plot would've been a spectacular way to send the show off.

I also brought up in the Supernatural episode forum for the season 12 finale that they should do a Crisis like plot in that show involving the main Earth of Supernatural and that alternate Earth we saw in the finale where that alternate Earth would be explained to have been created by Amara after Chuck & her left together the previous season finale and Chuck mentored her in how to create a universe. They could have the creation of Amara's universe happen in the past since both Chuck and her are timeless beings and the plot would be that Michael on Supernatural's Earth-1 gets free and wants revenge on Chuck for letting him (the loyal son) rot in the cage and the Earth-1 Lucifer trapped on Earth-2 (Amara's Earth) hunt down angels that the Bobby and other hunters of that Earth rounded up as prisoners and steal their grace to become even more powerful and attack Amara who would still be weakened as a result of using so much energy to create her universe. Lucifer would begin siphoning her power and could perhaps raise his Earth-2 counterpart where Amara is about to be killed and the Winchesters would have to save Amara & Chuck because both universes would cease to exist without their creators. Like I said in that forum---Dean at times said things like this are above his "pay grade" so this would be their chance to go beyond what they usually do and save the world on a cosmic scale.
    Last edited by xrayvision; 08-11-2017 at 04:04 PM.

xrayvision, for what it's worth, Bryan Q. Miller did do the Crisis in the Season 11 comics. Quite different than you are describing but it was reasonably entertaining with some hiccups along the way. That is a discussion for another thread though.

i don't think Tom hates Superman but he clearly has different ideas of the end game for the show than many of us did and what the payoff should be. It still is baffling how you can maintain that we shouldn't see him in the suit until the end even though he becomes Superman essentially when he begins to fly and they have that CGI superman flying around.

I do think even if Tom was willing to come on Supergirl, it would be confusing for him to be Clark/Superman but I definitely agree that it is likely that the producers of that show approached him for another role.

Now that Alura has been recast with Erica Durance, Tom playing Zor-El would have been kind of cool.

I think a lot of fans would be really pissed if Tom decided to wear the suit in another show when he never wore it in Smallville where he should have at least in the finale. I wouldn't really care that much since it would be like beating a dead horse, but I would be annoyed even after watching the show from very early on. I could definitely see some angry longtime fans/viewers of Smallville thinking "I watched the show for 10 seasons and no suit but here he appears on 1 episode of ___________ and wears the suit just like that no problem!!!".
    Last edited by xrayvision; 08-13-2017 at 05:04 AM.

Posting Pro
    Really, Tom, really? That went out the window when you started doing the Blur stuff which was you playing Superman but just without the name. Yeah sorry that goes out the window.

I really wish they had went with the original version for the Smallville series finale instead.

Because after 10 years, yeah the show did earn the right and the fans wanted to see Clark as full out Superman but oh no that couldn't happen. Clark was even going to marry Lois so yeah you guys were doing Superman stuff.

So yeah I would have wanted to see full out Superman and so if we ended up with a mini two hour Superman movie that was rivals the ones in the actually film business so much better for it.

Nice going Tom, your the reason why I dislike the series finale for being weak and ultimately disappointing. I mean heck, we didn't even get Clark in a full on Superman shot but just a bunch of annoying CGI stuff in the actual finale which still is disappointing and really upsetting, even 6 years later.

The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar
    Off the record I've heard two different stories.

One was that Tom *was* offered to reprise the role after all.

The other, I asked one of the producers flat out, off the record, and that person insisted that Tyler Hoechlin was their only choice. So who knows. I wouldn't *think* they'd lie to me since I said I wouldn't post it if it was true anyway.

It doesn't sound like he's very interested in appearing on Supergirl, and of course now Supergirl and Lucifer are on in the exact same timeslot, so I doubt we'd get a guest appearance this year at least.

I still want Tom as Ray Palmer's no-good brother Sidney on Legends of Tomorrow. Keep it in the Super family.
    Last edited by KSiteTV; 08-13-2017 at 02:08 PM.

The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar
    I don't think it is a fan speculation thing, or even a creative thing, is what I'm saying. I think there are actual business reasons why they aren't doing it. And I think that because there are obvious business reasons FOR doing it. I think they'd see a ratings bump if they decided to crossover with past TV shows. I think people who don't even like Supergirl would tune in if there was a sizzle reel at Comic-Con of her fighting alongside Tom Welling's Superman, Brandon Routh's Superman, and Dean Cain's Superman. I don't think it's just that they don't want to associate themselves with the SV universe. I'm betting they actually have to pay those peeps if they do.
    I think the biggest business reason is having to pay Al and Miles for using "their" versions of the characters -- something they might not as easily do, as, say, Bilson and DeMeo from the 25-year-old Flash show that, while it was good, was largely a failure as it only lasted for one season. Tollin-Robbins would get a cut too.

A multiverse-type episode would be amazing though. I remember in the Flash episode "Welcome to Earth-2" when Barry is running through the Multiverse, for a brief moment I hoped that was Justin Hartley in the montage as Green Arrow, but it wasn't.

If we ever do see characters from Smallville -- and that's a big if, because I don't think it'll happen, though I've been wrong many times before -- it might be best to use actors or characters we haven't seen before in the Berlantiverse. So, a character like Chloe would definitely be fair game, and honestly probably the best connection they could go for. It also depends on actor interest - Welling, Kreuk, and Rosenbaum all don't seem to be gunning for roles on these shows, so they might be out, too, for all we know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast