Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Harewood doesn't mince his words about Cyborg Superman.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Harewood doesn't mince his words about Cyborg Superman.

David Harewood admitted in a recent interview that he finds the Cyborg Superman version of Hank "boring."

Hard to disagree with him. CS was a generic character with little backstory and they didn't even bother explaining the origins of his alias.

It's refreshing to see an actor be so candid about the failings of the show he's working at.

Yeah. Cyborg Superman is ... just there.

He was thrown into SG as a 'for the sake of a DC easter egg' character. Getting a shout-out may be enough for some of the fans, but he's just another example of character with a "canon" label who doesn't live up to the hype/buzz. Harewood makes a good point. No costume, cheap mask and little to no explanation why.

"Cyborg Superman is gonna be in this ep!" doesn't exactly make me look forward to an ep., after two seasons. He's largely a one-dimensional enforcer for whatever antagonist wants to use him. It's unfortunate.

Comment

Probably shouldn't throw his own writers under the bus like that, but he's not wrong. The name doesn't even make any sense on the character.

Comment

I still feel that they should had used Dean Cain as the Cyborg Superman... would had been far more fitting. Especially if they dressed him up like Superman and had him wreck havoc on the local population. That seems like something Camdus would do, to make people associate the destruction with Superman even if they knew it wasn't the real superman doing it.

That would had made far more sense, and made for a better DC Easter egg shout-out.
        Last edited by Aurora Moon; 07-02-2017, 08:54 PM. Reason: fixing a spelling mistake.

Comment

“It was just a nod to the comics,” he said. “We talked about having in a suit and then we just decided that would be… Part of the conceit in the comic books was that he really did look like [Superman and] he was pretending to be Superman for a while. So he had the suit, and he actually physically looked like Superman, and we didn’t have that. It was more just a nod for the fans,” Kreisberg admitted.
          Ugh. These guys are out of touch. I could do with fewer nods and better stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
            I still feel that they should had used Dean Cain as the Cyborg Superman... would had been far more fitting. Especially if they dressed him up like Superman and had him wreck havoc on the local population. That seems like something Camdus would do, to make people associate the destruction with Superman even if they knew it wasn't the real superman doing it.

That would had made far more sense, and made for a better DC Easter egg shout-out.
            I wonder if this was their way of saving money. Why hire a new guy when you already have an actor, and character for that matter, all on tap to get this character on screen?

It might be sound business skills on paper but it doesn't translate well on the screen. That cyborg literally IS a waste of space at this point...it'd be one thing if CS literally WAS a clone of Superman gone wrong/turned into a cyborg kind of deal, but obviously they didn't wanna go down that route. He looks nothing LIKE Superman, so why does he get to try to attach that name to him? Give him a different villain name at least so it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
              Ugh. These guys are out of touch. I could do with fewer nods and better stories.
              I don't even understand what he's talking about. A nod to which fans? Did he think fans of the character from the comics would jump up and down and laugh with glee at seeing someone who looks and acts nothing like the character they enjoy?

Comment

I prefer for my nods to make at least a little sense. Of course, I guess this is par for the course. At this point, the name "James Olsen" is basically just a shallow nod to the comics, while the character looks, acts, and functions nothing like the comics character.

I wouldn't be surprised if a character next season had a cat named Krypto. "Well, in the comics, it was a dog from Krypton, but we didn't have a dog, and we didn't show pets on Krypton, so we just used a cat. It was really just a nod to the comics."

ETA: I'm aware of Streaky the Supercat.
                Last edited by nate-dog1701d; 07-03-2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

When he declared himself "I am Cyborg Superman" on the show and seeing he was nothing like it, my reaction was a groan, not the gleeful reaction the show probably expected from us.

I would agree that the much bigger and pressing problem on SG is the canon Superman character currently occupying a main roster spot: James Olsen. Superman fans must have gone through all the stages of grief over his (lack of) development on SG: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. The dude could be wiped out in the season premiere and I'm not sure many fans would have any reaction to it. I'd like to believe it's not too late to salvage what they can from him, but I'm pessimistic about this.

I'm guessing indifference is a form of acceptance.

Comment

They dropped the ball on Cyborg Superman big time. Having him just to be a nod to comics fans is not good enough. They need to find a way to correct this for the 3rd season. I don't blame David Harewood on slamming their version of Cyborg Superman.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎