Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Lian Yu?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what Quark is referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtXQItn9b5E

It doesn't look like the monastery. Whatever it is, we didn't see Oliver live in it during the flashbacks, unless it's the crushed plane that he,Slade and Shado lived in for a while (at least the set is the same).

Another question is where Oliver found the healing herbs that he kept using in season 1. Don't remember if that was addressed in the flashbacks.

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode, however, the fight scenes between Nyssa and Talia should have been another minute or so longer.

Merlyn isn't dead. He'll be back, eventually.

The Olicity nonsense, has once again been forced upon us, just pandering to the Twitter lot. I'll just hold, a tiny, tiny glimmer of hope that Felicity has just been blown into a billion pieces.

As for Dinah as the new Black Canary, I just don't buy it. It's been forced and tbh, Nyssa and Sara would destroy this version of Black Canary with the utmost ease in hand to hand combat. Laurel, had she still been alive and still training with Nyssa would destroy Dinah too.

Overall, a hugely improved season on the shambles that was season 4. However, with flopicity back on the table, I hope they don't undo the great progress they made this season.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22

It doesn't look like the monastery. Whatever it is, we didn't see Oliver live in it during the flashbacks, unless it's the crushed plane that he,Slade and Shado lived in for a while (at least the set is the same).

Another question is where Oliver found the healing herbs that he kept using in season 1. Don't remember if that was addressed in the flashbacks.
        Like the hood, he inherited them from Yao Fei. He got them from the cave where Yao Fei had been staying in 1x15.

Comment

Originally posted by Kal El's Equal
          I really enjoyed this episode, however, the fight scenes between Nyssa and Talia should have been another minute or so longer.

Merlyn isn't dead. He'll be back, eventually.

The Olicity nonsense, has once again been forced upon us, just pandering to the Twitter lot. I'll just hold, a tiny, tiny glimmer of hope that Felicity has just been blown into a billion pieces.

As for Dinah as the new Black Canary, I just don't buy it. It's been forced and tbh, Nyssa and Sara would destroy this version of Black Canary with the utmost ease in hand to hand combat. Laurel, had she still been alive and still training with Nyssa would destroy Dinah too.

Overall, a hugely improved season on the shambles that was season 4. However, with flopicity back on the table, I hope they don't undo the great progress they made this season.

Same here. I don't mind the actress who is playing Dinah, but character wise, she has done nothing so far to earn the name, Black Canary. She's pretty much been background chatter, since coming on Arrow. That will probably change in season 6 with more of a increased role, but for Lance to say she's Black Canary is pretty much silly....she's not Black Canary, at this time.

Comment

Overnight ratings are in:

Last edited by KSiteTV; 05-25-2017, 01:04 PM. Reason: GATV link please

Comment

I have a feeling there will be a cross over with LOT and they will get out of there. Now the show will be able to get rid of a couple of characters and have them not make it off
              the Island. We know Nyssa killed Talia and Earth 2 Laurel won't make it I am betting Rene won't make it and that's about it. I can see Nyssa making it but she will end up in LOT with
              Sarah.
              I would live for someone to start a poll and see who does not make it.

Comment

Originally posted by acer15
                I have a feeling there will be a cross over with LOT and they will get out of there. Now the show will be able to get rid of a couple of characters and have them not make it off
                the Island. We know Nyssa killed Talia and Earth 2 Laurel won't make it I am betting Rene won't make it and that's about it. I can see Nyssa making it but she will end up in LOT with
                Sarah.

Nyssa didn't kill Talia, she just knocked her out.

And way before this, Katie Cassidy and the actor for Rene would confirmed as season regulars for season 6, so they will make it.

Comment

Quite pleasant to watch. Good finale, and good conclusion to quite watchable season - not great, but a great improvement in comparision to organic crap in season 4 and season 3 that also fell apart on many levels. And I can say officialy: omelettes were not mentioned a single time. Forced romance was present, of course, but fortunately contained in two organic scenes, so it was easy to give it a pass/not pay attention.

Slade's and Oliver's interactions were among my favorite parts of the episode. It would be great to see Manu again in season 6, reformed Slade is fun to watch. The flashback with Moira was perfect. The episode had quite good flow, despite having so many characters - of course, individual duels were rather short (if they cut out Olicity nonsense, they would have 30 additional second for Talia-Nyssa duel ). I liked the most Black Siren vs. The Brand New Black Canary - it looked more raw that Talia-Nyssa duel, probably they could use more stunts in that case. Quentin knocking out BS was a very organic scene. I suspected that when he disappeared from that big fight scene.

The way they ended it with Merlyn - it totally doesn't look as if he was dead for good. Remember, no body = no confirmation of death.

Oliver's choice to not killl Chase and his hero way - it would have much greater effect it there was no dozen of dead guys his team just had killed lying in the background. Srsly.

Lol, would anyone believe that they just blew up the whole main cast and a couple of guest stars except for Oliver? It was quite a cheep cliffhanger, kinda ruined the sense of completion I hoped to have after watching five seasons through four years (I binge-watched season 1, when season 2 was already airing). Also, the flashbacks also ruined a bit for me season 1 opening. But well, at least the scene with Moira rewarded it.

Comment

We can assume that those were the same herbs Yao Fei used, and that he had showed them Oliver during off-screen time.

Btw. the title of this video illustrates well what hijacking of motives is.

Originally posted by TheSecretVampire
                    Same here. I don't mind the actress who is playing Dinah, but character wise, she has done nothing so far to earn the name, Black Canary. She's pretty much been background chatter, since coming on Arrow. That will probably change in season 6 with more of a increased role, but for Lance to say she's Black Canary is pretty much silly....she's not Black Canary, at this time.
                    It's the same problem with writing in "Arrow" as always - they make characters talk about things and think it's enough. They told Oliver has no PTSD any more and so... he has no PTSD. They say he is in love with XYZ - so he is in love. No transition, no change.

Dinah was not given time to develop into Black Canary. The actress is okay, she fits to the team as a new member/another vigilante, but they hardly given her any time to grow as a character during the half of the season she was in - no more than Laurel when she was BC in season 4 (as far as I can tell from the part I've watched).

@costas22 Are you happy that Arrowtheus is officially confirmed as a ship?
                    Last edited by Amarice; 05-25-2017, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by acer15
                      Sarah.
                      I think the Legends have their own problems. Based on their finale they're in LA and Dinosaurs are roaming around. I agree with some other theories that I've read that Slade knows some place they'll be safe, if they want to change their minds about Merlyn, he could have the boat that Oliver told them about, or the far reaching crossover choice, they found an Argus phone and called Cisco and he breached himself there and got them all out.

Comment

In that video, Oliver is not in a tree house, yes, he's living in the fuselage of the downed plane, the same one that Slade looked at with nostalgia and thought of Shado. It's just that the plane by season two had vines and shrubbery growing up into it, creating that feel like he was in a tree house. You can still see the curve of the ceiling.

Anyway, guessing aside, I'm glad about the cliffhanger for one reason: It makes it impossible for season 6 to begin with a time jump. It has to pick up where this episode left and it's about time Arrow changed its philosophy in that regard.
                        MG has already come out and said that season six will pick up with the same normal summer time jump. And also that they will use flashbacks in that episode. Presumably to show how people survive and then in the present they will only show up when it's time to confirm some one is alive. (Hopefully Samantha is confirmed as alive early on. William aka Myson needs to be able to live offscreen most of the time)

Comment

To the naked eye I would say it was a pretty solid and entertaining episode. If I was nit-picky I'm sure I could find a number of negatives about it. The only obvious downside for me was that hussy kissing Oliver right in front of his wife. Has she no shame?
                          8/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarice
                            We can assume that those were the same herbs Yao Fei used, and that he had showed them Oliver during off-screen time.

Btw. the title of this video illustrates well what hijacking of motives is.
                            Hey, I had to get it from somewhere!

I remember Yao Fei using the the herbs a bit in season 1, but did we see Oliver use them or gather them for his trip? Mind you, I don't remember the season 1 and 2 flashbacks too well.

I wish they made better use of the season 4 flashbacks. They felt like such a waste of time and didn't add anything to Oliver's development. They could have used that time to answer some of the questions we had instead of pushing everything back for the last season.

Originally posted by Amarice
                            @costas22 Are you happy that Arrowtheus is officially confirmed as a ship?
                            Yep! It's a ship to die for. Literally.

Originally posted by BkWurm1
                            In that video, Oliver is not in a tree house, yes, he's living in the fuselage of the downed plane, the same one that Slade looked at with nostalgia and thought of Shado. It's just that the plane by season two had vines and shrubbery growing up into it, creating that feel like he was in a tree house. You can still see the curve of the ceiling.
                            Yeah, that's what I thought.

Pity that monastery was never seen or heard of until this episode.

Originally posted by BkWurm1
                            MG has already come out and said that season six will pick up with the same normal summer time jump. And also that they will use flashbacks in that episode. Presumably to show how people survive and then in the present they will only show up when it's time to confirm some one is alive. (Hopefully Samantha is confirmed as alive early on. William aka Myson needs to be able to live offscreen most of the time)
                            Ah thanks. Pity. I hoped they'd change their tune for once. From what you describe it will be similar to the Flash season 2 premiere, which began 5 months after the singularity opened and we found out through the flashbacks about Ronnie's death. I'm also guessing that some characters (like Felicity and Diggle) will be confirmed as being alive long before the premiere even airs. The promos can't show just Oliver and William, nor can Amell show up at Comic Con alone.

Originally posted by Arrow_47
                            The only obvious downside for me was that hussy kissing Oliver right in front of his wife. Has she no shame?
                            8/10.

Comment

They really do need to cool down their giddiness re: teasers, previews, castings, etc. To be fair, it's probably an uphill battle in the age of social media when paparazzi and any joe schmo with an iPhone can upload things. Hence that snafu with the long-spoiled return of Deathstroke and Manu trying to un-spoil it when the cat was out of the bag.

Slade bringing up Shado on the island seems more than appropriate here. I should have put money on it.

My overall impression of the S5 finale is still good. Some reviews suggest it was the best Arrow finale ever. Maybe I wouldn't go that far, but it's certainly one of the best in two seasons. And I would give it an edge over the rest of the Berlantiverse finales this year, with no guarantee that Arrow will defend the title next year. It's who gets the silver and bronze medals out of the bunch this year where I'd have a more difficult time picking them.

It's not like I have no nitpicks, it's just that I didn't feel that they were enough to ruin an otherwise pretty entertaining finale that hit most of the notes (even though I don't particularly care for *cough* melodrama *cough*).

Some of my nitpicks:

-Team Arrow is way too bloated. A thinning of the ranks is still in order. But as I've said in previous posts, vets shouldn't get immunity, not after S6. I don't expect them to ditch Felicity, Diggle or even Quentin and we all know who are series regulars next year. I've probably liked Thea in the series this year more than any other season, but outside of her familial bond -- what is there left to tell with Thea's character? I find myself asking this question of many of the vets: Diggle, Quentin, etc. Take out the relationship factor -- Diggle's bromance with Oliver, Quentin's with Rene now (which I include under the melodrama umbrella) ... I'm coming up empty on what they could do to contribute in a clean slate season where the 5-year-arc is settled. Diggle works with ARGUS again? Quentin becomes mayor, a private eye? They can certainly come up with more than the regulars just mailing in their characters' 'greatest hits' next season. I will be expecting more than than from them in S6.

The heavy-set roster probably played a part in making the finale look crowded and busy -- everyone had to get their moment. We got to see a lot of fights, but except for a few, they were more glimpses of fights rather than a longer chance to appreciate them. The same could be said for viewers wanted to see the various relationships thrashed out and moments "breathe" -- there was no time to do so. The one moment they did allow to breathe in this sense was ... the reactivated Oliver - Slade bromance.

Everyone was on a timer, including Olicity. Depending on where you land, it was either a huge bonus (Oliver telling Felicity they'll do that stuff after they get off this doomed island. Kick Chase's butt first -- mimosas and omelettes later), or too rushed (Felicity questioning Oliver's sketchy alliance with former foes. Valid question ... but maybe wrong timing with Chase, the other teammates and William's whereabouts still unknown.)

-I wanted to see a long, drawn-out Kovar v. Oliver fight. What we did get to see what brutal, as it should have been: two guys wanting to kill each other at a sub-human level, finesse and fighting techniques be damned. But because of the previous reasons, we didn't get to see a lot of it.

-Team Arrow's picturesque woodland stroll down Melodrama Lane. Shouldn't they be, I don't know, running for their lives? Loved in an ironic way the exceptionally awkward Samantha - Felicity chit-chat, where they could check off boxes on lingering issues/questions out of S4. Wonder how the shippers feel about baby mama, now that she ships Olicity? #TeamSammie?

-As much as I like JB, Malcolm has been treading water for a few seasons now. His best before date on this show is well behind him. He got an okay send-off, not sure how I feel about how much of an impact his "death" (comics book code of no body = no confirmed death applies) should have on her. At least Nyssa's acidic impression of him kept the Malcolm-lionizing in check.

-The Black Siren v. Dinah skirmish was mostly to give Dinah a boost into S6, and in a meta way try to put to bed the notion that the BC mantle is still up for grabs. If they do go with a Black Siren redemption arc, remember this scene and try to reconcile it with S6 Quentin hashing over well-worn guilt over Laurel's death with a Laurel who isn't even her. I'm not all that enthusiastic about this possibility/risk, can smell the potential melodramatic excess from it a mile away, and I'd have no problem having a totally villainous E-2 Laurel. I could be in the minority here. If this is all to give Quentin something to do in S6 -- maybe they should re-assess this as their motivation to do it.

Most of these are cosmetic, or they were structural issues that have existed in the series well before the finale and will likely exist in S6. As for the finale itself, these didn't sour my view of the overall ep.

The series' need to create buzz and the resulting spoiling (intentional or not) of many of the events, cameos that may have truly surprised viewers is a Berlantiverse-wide issue, but despite this, Arrow's finale this year largely went off on all cylinders.

Comment

@costas22: Flashbacks for 1x15. Oliver retrieves the herbs from Yao Fei's cave to treat Slade's wound. There's that one guy who works for Fyers trying to earn Oliver's trust there, using a story similar to his own.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎