No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Lian Yu?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Lian Yu?"

Really, no one did the live thread for a FINALE? We're going to have to change things around here for Season 6.

But anyway... what did you think?
    10 - Excellent... I'm still reeling
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Bad
    0%

Now THAT was a finale.

Comment

Wait WHAAAAT? I can't believe they did that to us.

People might have indifferent feelings about the last few seasons of Arrow, but THIS is a way to bring a series full circle.
      The episode gets an easy 10 out of 10 from me.

Comment

10/10 for me. For the first time all season, I can't find anything to be negative about. Now, if everyone didn't make it off the island, I really hope Deathstroke isn't one of the casualties. That would suck so much.....I think everyone made it off in one piece since Chase took a bit too long to pull the trigger so that probably gave them just enough time to get to that plane and off the island.

Comment

That was underwhelming.

Sigh, I knew it would be when as much as I wish I did, I just didn't care about William, not past the faint, they shouldn't kill a child thing. And Oliver spending 40 minutes yelling "MY SON!" didn't suddenly create a relationship I cared about out of thin air. And now the whole island blew up because Oliver was too dumb to tie up his prisoner.

And since I expect anyone I really care about to be back, even blowing up the whole island feels like a cop out. I'm a lot more interested to see how they survived and the reunions than what just went down so that's a fail.

I still gave it an 8 but this felt too much like Oliver and his guest stars then Arrow. Yes, Nyssa and Slade and Moira were great, I'll rewatch later and see if now that my expectations are gone, maybe I'll enjoy it more, but as it was, even though there were plenty of moments that I liked, it felt rushed and disjointed, the emotions not allowed enough time to be felt and just filled with a lot of repetitive fights and characters mostly just wandering around without a real purpose. Somehow the sum of a lot of good scenes on their own became something less when it was all balled together.

Plus the ending didn't give us anything to really talk about. We already know most will survive.

Still better than The Flash, lol.
          Last edited by BkWurm1; 05-24-2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

That was a daring ending and not everyone will return for the 6th season.

Everyone got their moments, including Talia/ Nyssa and Black Canary/ Black Siren.

Comment

My guess is somehow Lyla showed up and was able to get them out of there. Or the easier route, someone found a satellite phone and called Cisco and he breached them out of there.

Comment

I'm going to be watching it again shortly, but I felt it was pretty solid. Of all the Berlantiverse finales this season, the Arrow one this year comes out on top.

Were the edits between the present and the flashbacks jarring at times? Yes. Did I have to take a bit of a leap of faith in buying Oliver's -until now- offscreen affection for William? Probably.

Did any of this affect my enjoyment of what was easily the best Arrow season finale since S2? Nope.

The crown for best Arrow villain is yours, Adrian Chase.

Ok, off to watch Lian Yu. Again.

Comment

On the other note does that ARGUS cell can be bomb-proof?

Comment

The only major issue with this episode is timing and casting. There was so much stuff and so many characters to cram into it that a number of fight scenes ended up being short. And since they didn't have time to address everyone's fate, they just figured "We'll tease that all of them got blown up".

The end was a typical Berlanti-verse cliffhanger where they tease you that something major has happened and then they go back on it. I mean, realistically, who could have died out of that group? We already know Diggle, Felicity, Rene and Tina will return as season regulars next season, so they are safe. I didn't mention Quentin and Curtis because I don't know if they are contracted to be regulars next sason. I assume they are though because they were mentioned in the upfronts' description for season 6. It won't be Thea because Merlyn's sacrifice has to make sense and it won't be Samantha because they need her to keep William offscreenville. The only ones who could have died are Nyssa and Slade. As far as Chase's accomplishes go, we already know Black Siren will be safe and that Harkness died. Which leaves Talia and Evelyn. So all in all, it's 4 characters who could have potentially died, with Evelyn being the likelier of all, imo. The other 3 are major canon characters that Arrow could still use down the line. Anyway, guessing aside, I'm glad about the cliffhanger for one reason: It makes it impossible for season 6 to begin with a time jump. It has to pick up where this episode left and it's about time Arrow changed its philosophy in that regard.

Chase went all out in this episode and my only gripe was that he didn't appear until there were 15 minutes left in this episode and his fight with Oliver was very short. On the other hand, I've got to admire the fact that he was so committed to getting the last laugh on Oliver that he blew his own brains out. Speaking of, did the Arrowverse writers sit down and decide that all season finales will feature the hero making an impossible decision at some point? Kara had to decide between losing Mon-El or the Daxamites dominating the planet, Barry had to choose between leaving his loved ones behind or the Speed Force destroying Central City and Oliver had to choose between losing William or his friends. It's so repetitive and the main reason why people accuse these shows of being too similar. What's also repetitive is that none of those tough choices will eventually have any consequences.

My personal highlight of this episode was Slade and his interactions with Oliver. Won't lie, I missed the bromance between the two of them! The writers, wisely, decided that they shouldn't waste another Slade appearance on him being bitter about the past, so they came up with the plot device about the Mirakuru wearing off. In a finale that had such a rushed pace, I was glad to see that Slade got a hefty amount of screentime (even though Manu clearly wasn't behind the mask the entire time). The tease about him finding Joe gives me hope that they didn't kill off Slade here and they left the door open for future appearances, if DC permits it.

Merlyn, seemingly, has finally bitten the bullet. As sad as it sounds, it's a mercy kill for a character who ceased being interesting 2 years ago. Barrowman did a tremendous job with the material he was given and I'll miss seeing him on my screen. All things considered, Merlyn went out the right way. Ideally he should have been Oliver's arch nemesis and his end should have been tied to Oliver, but that was kiboshed a long time ago. Now Thea and Oliver have one more thing in common: Both their parents sacrificed themselves for them. Which is why the scene between Thea and Felicity soon after worked so well. It helped Thea get some perspective on her father. On a final note, Merlyn mentioning that he wanted to protect Thea ever since she was born was a retcon, considering that he didn't find out about Thea being his daughter until 2013...

The Nyssa/Talia fight was ok, but, again, a bit too short. One reason why neither character should be killed off is that Arrow can still do a lot more with these two.

Black Siren had mostly a forgettable episode here. Who knows? Maybe they will finally get her right in her 5th or 6th episode. Her fight with Tina was underwhelming as well and her line ("You thought you could replace me?") made no sense whatsoever. Quentin knocking her out and taking joy in it "for many reasons" was also nonsensical. It felt like one of those moments designed to take a jab at Laurel fans. To me, anyway.

Speaking of, apparently Tina is officially the Black Canary now. Pity the moment came across as so fake and forced. Just like with most of her development until now.

For those who thought otherwise after episode 3.20, Olicity clearly isn't over. I expect the show to go back to it after the aftermath of Lian Yu dies down. That said, and since the writers like to scratch old wounds, no, Felicity shouldn't have been consulted about what Oliver and Susan did with their son and she really needs to drop it.

The flashbacks, aside from Moira's terrific cameo, just didn't click for me. IMO, they wasted too much time on Kovar and the scene of Oliver putting on his survival gear (fake beard and all ) and running to signal the fishing boat was way too rushed. I understand that they were aiming for some kind of parallel between the flashbacks and the present, but it didn't come across well and the end on this 5 year cycle was anti-climatic. In hindsight, and with so much going on in the present, these flashbacks should have either happened in the penultimate episode or in next season's premiere.

Episode Rating: 7.5/10

Season Rating: 5.1/10 On par with the Flash and lower than Supergirl. Without realizing it, apparently I enjoyed Supergirl a bit more than Flash and Arrow this season.

All in all, this season was a vast improvement on the previous two. Clearly the show's issues haven't been eliminated, but they were significantly marginalized and they made for an enjoyable season at times. I am glad that Arrow was easier to watch this season, but I'd lie if I said that I will approach season 6 any less trepidatiously than I approached season 5 (even with Katie Cassidy's return). There's a still a number of things about Arrow that I find frustrating and on this episode's evidence, they could rear their ugly heads in at any moment.
                    Last edited by costas22; 05-25-2017, 03:27 AM.

Comment

It was a good, exhilarating finale, although there were some things that ran false.

First and foremost was Malcolm suddenly caring about Thea so much that he would sacrifice himself for her. If the past few seasons are any indication, he doesn't care about anyone but himself, particularly showcased when Malcolm put himself before his own dying daughter to take control of the League of Assassins last season. Also, bad move on the writers part for saying that he care about Thea ever since she was born. He only find out that Thea was his daughter a few years ago.

Personally, I don't think Malcolm is dead.

With regard to things missed from Oliver's five year journey, I guess we will never find out why he hates Amanda, or what was up with that treehouse in the Season Two premiere.

Moving on to things I liked, I loved the interaction between Nyssa and pretty much everyone, especially her sister. Would love to see more of those two. I did think there fight scene though was rather short.

Acting was pretty decent. I'm not really sure what was so wonderful about Stephen Amell's performance that the writers had mentioned. He wasn't bad at all, he gave a good performance, just not, and I quote "Emmy-worthy".

Josh Segarra was fantastic this episode, and this season. Sad we won't be seeing more of him.

I must say, it could be because we know most of who is coming back, but that ending did nothing for me.

Oh and Moira. Sussana Thompson was her usual superb self.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                        It makes it impossible for season 6 to begin with a time jump. It has to pick up where this episode left and it's about time Arrow changed its philosophy in that regard.
                        I wouldn't be so sure of that. They can still do a time jump and show how each and every one of these characters was rescued via flashbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
                          Really, no one did the live thread for a FINALE? We're going to have to change things around here for Season 6.

But anyway... what did you think?
                          If only I could watch it live with you guys and then talk here, shame I am in Europa while you all see it live while it is 2am here.

I have mixed feelings about this cliffhanger. the way they showed it it seems like it should be impossible any of them survived even though we know, at least most of them, will survive it anyway. would have been cool if the showed at least a hint of how they got away. see them running and see some of them run a bit further behind or something like that. then you at least get the feeling that maybe not all will survive since they get split up.

It feels like Merlyn survived the way the showed it, or rather, didn't show it but just a blast from further away. and with him thinking Thea will get safely get to the plane and get away he might have made a run for it himself since he doesn't care about helping Oliver further.
                          I do expect evelyn to die, unless she got out of that cage alone (since I don't expect black siren or Talia would get her out), but I can't say I will be suprised to see her be alive next season.
                          Black Siren apperently survives so I assume that Talia will just as well survive then, since they both got knocked out pretty much next to eachother. (same building, just a different room).

overall I loved the episode but I just don't like it they tried to leave us with 30 different questions.
                          Slade was awesome, and his ''double cross'' twice actually fooled me all times. I liked where they went with him with the miracuru leaving his system, although I hope they won't become the best of friends now, but he will be another merlyn. not a friend, not a huge enemy, but if needed they work together.

I can write another 4 pages about this but this is already getting long enough.

8.7/10.

Comment

@Quark: The 'treehouse' was the monastery they were inside in this episode. That's what Oliver meant when he said he'd only seen it once, from a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by JDBentz
                              @Quark: The 'treehouse' was the monastery they were inside in this episode. That's what Oliver meant when he said he'd only seen it once, from a distance.
                              Oh was it? Didn't look familiar. Plus (and I may be wrong as I haven't seen the Season Two premier in a while), I'm sure Oliver said during that episode that he had lived there for a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎