No announcement yet.

Season 6 Spoilers Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
    Regarding his parents' death, I want to say Smallville had the traditional version with them dying in a plane crash when he was a boy.
    No, they were killed by lions, while on safari in Africa.

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Connor. Who was Shado's son?
    Robert Queen (not to be confused with Oliver's father).

Comment

Originally posted by BkWurm1
      I Prefer this to Shado raping Oliver and having his son. Not to be confused with the surprise son he had with Sandra Hawk. Dude, birth control.
      I think a Shado "raping" Oliver could still be a part of the series. Shado's sister Mei could assume Shado as her alias and want a child by Oliver. She could trick Oliver into thinking he was with his Shado again. Then again, Oliver being Oliver I never really understood why any beautiful woman should need to "rape" him. I mean, he slept with Isabel Rochev by his own free will.

Comment

Originally posted by 134sc
        One thing Ive never understood is how GA in comic cannon was quipy and more light hearted. His backstory of being stranded for 5 years does nothing to support these character traits. I always thought Oliver should be messed up when he came back to star city. His morales should be all a skewed. So when I heard that Arrow was going to be dark, gritty and more realistic, I was super stoked because it made perfect sense to me. And to that, the one season that was atrocious was the "Green Arrow" season. Among its many, many faults trying to be like the comics or more accurately trying to be like the networks version of Flash or even Supergirl was a big mistake. Its no coincidence that Ive really enjoyed season 5, as in addition to great acting, stunts and writing, the season was a close to the original conceipt for the show as we will ever get in a DCW shared universe.
        I agree with this.

I would like to add that I care more for self-consistency in the series than consistency with the comics or Smallville. I didn't mind the LoA in Arrow, even if they are originally Batman villains, because they were consistent with the world created in season one. Alternately, they could have used ninjas or something like that, but that part of Oliver's training origins in the LoA really makes sense; IMO.

On a different note, regarding Oliver's identity crisis, this was established in season one and never really addressed until Prometheus entered the picture. Even now I wouldn't say it should be over. Just because Oliver realizes something on a conscious logical level does not mean it really changed him. I considered it really great that they recalled his defining experiences in the second to last episode in the flashbacks and I hope they won't forget them in season six.

Comment

Originally posted by BkWurm1
          Susan was also a mess. And if the intent was to say that after getting to know Oliver and sleeping with him her feelings changed her mind over what she planned to do with what she was digging up and learning about him, then why did the show show her meeting with her investigator AFTER the post coital snuggle? I tend to think they were going to do something more with her character than never panned out. There were even interviews that said that part of the reason that Susan was kidnapped was because she was a reporter, but I never anything important about her being a reporter after Thea moved to discredit her.
          Do we know what happened to Vigilante? Or know who he was? I can only remember that Prometheus threw him down some house. What happened to him (or her) after that?

Maybe Susan is Vigilante? Or maybe Billy (Felicity's ex) after all - not everybody that is dead in Arrow stays dead...

Whatever they had in mind for Susan, maybe it will play a part in season 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Freawaru
            Whatever they had in mind for Susan, maybe it will play a part in season 6.
            Nah, they only wanted her as a ship stall. Now that Olicity's back together, they will never mention her again.

Comment

Oliver will likely be dealing with an identity crisis in the sense that he will always be trying to balance the darkness in him with the character growth/evolution he has experienced so far. I actually expect this.

But I think most fans want the specific kill/no kill "dilemma" settled, and not rehashed ad infinitum. If we take the S3 premiere as an arbitrary starting point for his 'Can I kill and still be a hero?' quandry -- he's had two seasons to figure it out. I thought it was settled back in the S4 finale when he killed Darhk -- where killing was back on the table, as a last resort. S5's finale should settle it, as he has opted not to embrace killing, even with someone like Chase. We'll have to wait and see how long this status quo holds in S6.

And this isn't solely on Oliver. On Team Arrow, they are essentially fighting under Oliver Queen/GA's banner; they can't simply disassociate themselves from him and wash their hands if/when he steps over the line. The rest of the team can't be hemming and hawing about whether or not it's ok that Oliver or Team Arrow kills, because they too have done more than their share of flip-flopping on whether they approve of it or think it's wrong (yeah, looking at you "OTA"). Oliver gets a lot of heat (some of it deserved, mind you) on playing on the kill/no kill line -- but the rest of the team don't have the luxury of being mute on it. The proverbial alibi "I'm only following orders" hasn't washed as an excuse for decades. Which means no one else -- Diggle and Felicity included -- is off the hook here either. Oliver doesn't operate as a lone wolf any longer, so collectively Team Arrow needs to take to heart whatever lessons they learned from Lian Yu and (I acknowledge this is a big ask in the Berlantiverse) apply it to their future behaviour. This universe seems to like people with short-term memory on important lessons.

They either think killing is on the table as an option and are willing to accept the consequences and/or scars on their conscience for it -- or no one on the team can do it on principle.

As for S5 ... remember when many fans thought S5 was going to be 'Felicity and Friends' and it would be the ruin of the show? Donna was going to ruin everything with melodrama unrelated to Oliver's journey? The show was going to be cancelled after S5?

It's safe to say now that this did not transpire on S5. Donna Smoak's total screentime on S5: 0 minutes. And whatever Olicity happened essentially occurred too late in the season IMO to really impact what was arguably the strongest Arrow season in at least two years.

The positives outweighed the negatives with me re: S5.

As for what "might" occur on S6, anything is possible - including the usual suspects Olicity, melodrama, meh writing, etc.
              Last edited by President_Luthor; 06-03-2017, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Bit late to the party on the 'quip-making' Oliver, but I want to throw in my two cents: we've learned from events like Robin Williams' suicide that those with a humorous outlook on life can be hiding a deep well of personal difficulties and/or tragedies. My impression has always been that quip-making Oliver could easily be hiding from the darkness inside of him by creating that persona.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                  No, they were killed by lions, while on safari in Africa.

Nope....Lionel Luthor was responsible for Oliver's parents deaths in Smallville.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSecretVampire
                    Nope....Lionel Luthor was responsible for Oliver's parents deaths in Smallville.
                    I was talking about the comics. nate-dog was refering to the characters fate in Smallville as the traditional version of their fate and I was correcting him.

Comment

Originally posted by JDBentz
                      Bit late to the party on the 'quip-making' Oliver, but I want to throw in my two cents: we've learned from events like Robin Williams' suicide that those with a humorous outlook on life can be hiding a deep well of personal difficulties and/or tragedies. My impression has always been that quip-making Oliver could easily be hiding from the darkness inside of him by creating that persona.
                      Good point. In the show's own ham-fisted way, this may be the idea they're trying to convey. Is the Hood/Arrow/GA the mask or the man, or is Oliver Queen the true mask? Oliver putting on that castaway disguise as Anatoly arranged his rescue from the island could be seen as the start of Oliver putting on the mask/persona of 'trust fund castaway back from the dead' Oliver Queen, while the Hood was the actual man he believed himself to be in S1. S3 could be seen as the start of Oliver's struggle to separate who is the mask from who is the man, with S5 being his effort to finally reclaim the man he has become from the persona that could have consumed him as Chase believed it would.

It's also a theme shared with Batman aka is Bruce the man -- or merely the mask he wears in public, while Batman is his true identity:

Click image for larger version

Name:	im batman.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	6628603

Comment

Originally posted by shadow08
                        Nah, they only wanted her as a ship stall. Now that Olicity's back together, they will never mention her again.
                        These ship-stalling tactics are so lame. Besides, the oliciters are probably the only ones who care about Oliver's love life at this stage, and these peeps dislike/hate ANY character who gets in the way of their OTP, so place holders like Susan never get the chance to become popular or even liked. Heck, even Ray, who was a charming character with quite a lot of character development was not accepted by many oliciters.

Furthermore, I don't understand why the writers even bother to introduce these temporary love interests when everyone knows that NO female character (except Thea, who is kin!) will ever be allowed to challenge Felicity's hegemony when it comes to sharing emotional scenes with Oliver. Oliver has been caught up in this Olicity prison for three seasons now, and that is frankly why the relationship aspect has become so tedious for many viewers.....all we get are rehashed Olicity "feels", longing gazes and supposedly "cutesy"/funny convos between the Golden Couple.

They brought in a new Black Canary (who I think has potential and whose actress is IMHO superior to EBR) this season, but she has been treated like a bit character so far, and has hardly had any kind of deeper interaction with Green Arrow/Oliver. I liked season five more than the atrocious season four, but in terms of fidelity to the source material "Arrow" is really a travesty, with few of the core elements of the original comics left.
                        Last edited by evaba; 06-04-2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by evaba
                          These ship-stalling tactics are so lame. Besides, the oliciters are probably the only ones who care about Oliver's love life at this stage, and these peeps dislike/hate ANY character who gets in the way of their OTP, so place holders like Susan never get the chance to become popular or even liked. Heck, even Ray, who was a charming character with quite a lot of character development was not accepted by many oliciters.
                          Are you sure? From what I've seen, the Oliver/Laurel shippers seem to be more obsessed than ever with Oliver's love life right now. They clearly still care very, very much.

They brought in a new Black Canary (who I think has potential and whose actress is IMHO superior to EBR) this season, but she has been treated like a bit character so far, and has hardly had any kind of deeper interaction with Green Arrow/Oliver. I liked season five more than the atrocious season four, but in terms of fidelity to the source material "Arrow" is really a travesty, with few of the core elements of the original comics left.
                          Oliver and Dinah haven't talked outside of expositionary dialogue since the Russia episode, which was what? 11 or 12 eps ago? It's bloody ridiculous at this point. I get that the writers have anointed Olicity their OTP and that they will never pursue a GA/BC romance unless EBR decides to leave the show, but why can't they at least do justice to the friendship/partnership aspect of the GA/BC dynamic? It's not as if they are reinventing the wheel with their barrage of Olicity and OTA scenes. All of their moments are copies of scenes we have seen before. As far as Dinah is concerned, the character is likable enough but she's really just "there" at this point and it sucks that Juliana Harkavy got stuck with such a go-nowhere type of role because she is really talented. She could easily carry a bigger and more complex part, but the writers simply won't let her. Their obsession with Felicity runs too deep.
                          Last edited by shadow08; 06-04-2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I think they're worried that a lengthy scene between Amell and Harkavy might look good in terms of chemistry and by proxy make Olicity look inferior. Which falls in line with their philosophy of Oliver basically not having any kind of a relationship with any female besides Felicity (and Thea who poses no threat) during the last 3 seasons. I certainly wouldn't call his relationship with Laurel during seasons 3 and 4 friendly. And Susan, well, that must be one of the most half assed romances I've ever seen on a tv show.

It's not that I'm clamoring for a Tina/Oliver friendship. At this point I don't care about the Tina character enough to see her in anything. Juliana seems talented and is very easy on the eyes, but her character was born out of desperation and spite. But even if she was properly developed, IMO there's no place for a Black Canary on this show.

Comment

Originally posted by JDBentz
                              Not to disagree that often comedians are hiding a lot of pain behind the laughter, but specifically about Robin Williams, the autopsy revealed he was ill when he committed suicide. A form of dementia that too often has that outcome. So his actions were driven by more than a sum of his current and past pain. Your point still stands, but had to add that detail.

Comment

Oliver and Dinah haven't talked outside of expositionary dialogue since the Russia episode, which was what? 11 or 12 eps ago? It's bloody ridiculous at this point. I get that the writers have anointed Olicity their OTP and that they will never pursue a GA/BC romance unless EBR decides to leave the show, but why can't they at least do justice to the friendship/partnership aspect of the GA/BC dynamic?
                                Frankly, she came in too late in the season for the show to have the time to do much more then they did. Stuff had to finally start happening in the back half. That cast is hugely bloated. After her introduction, mostly sticking her harmlessly in the background probably was the best way to endear her to the audience. She may not have had a lot of great scenes, but I also can't think of anything I really hated that they had her do. (Though Dyla fans are concerned, I personally think JH just comes off like she's flirting, not that those scenes between her and Diggle were intended to come off intimate) With her coming on the show late in the season and late in the seasons, fitting in and becoming accepted was probably the best introduction she could have had. Next season I'm sure she'll have more focus.
                                I liked season five more than the atrocious season four, but in terms of fidelity to the source material "Arrow" is really a travesty, with few of the core elements of the original comics left.
                                And after Arrow has been on for five seasons and has spent five seasons going it's own way, it's a wonder that the source material is expected to be a strong influence or indicator of the show's direction.
                                Are you sure? From what I've seen, the Oliver/Laurel shippers seem to be more obsessed than ever with Oliver's love life right now. They clearly still care very, very much.
                                Yep, I keep hearing that Oliver is totes gonna fall madly in love with Black Siren and move to Seattle and open a flower shop, just the two of them, fighting crime at night. I type this and it SHOULD be me just mocking the very notion, but I actually read it in an article as if it was a legitimate possibility, lol.

at this point and it sucks that Juliana Harkavy got stuck with such a go-nowhere type of role because she is really talented. She could easily carry a bigger and more complex part, but the writers simply won't let her. Their obsession with Felicity runs too deep.
                                Again, we are five years into the show. Felicity isn't a fad or an obsession, love it or not, she's part of the show's essential DNA and by that merit alone, will always be one of the more important elements of the show, no matter their comic origins.

I would like to add that I care more for self-consistency in the series than consistency with the comics or Smallville.
                                Couldn't have said it better myself. Felicity's importance on the show by now IS the show being consistent in itself. There's room for more stories to be told about the other characters (and ditching the need for island flashbacks really frees up more time) but Felicity isn't going anywhere. Expecting her to at this point will only lead to more pain.

And if we really want to talk about who ate up screen time that Dinah could have had, let's look at Rene and his child protection storyline. That couldn't have waited til season six? They didn't even tie it into Oliver's daddy issues. It was just there, sucking up plot time. Rene had the 4th highest screen time even though he was only in 21 of 23 episodes. Diggle was only ahead of him by 10 minutes despite being in every episode. That's appalling. Nothing about Rene's character justified that kind of importance or prominence on the show.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎