0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Wish I had missed it, that was bad

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Missing?"

What did you think?

It had some fun interaction at first. Love it when the team gets to just hang out together. Malcolm had some great lines and it was nice seeing Nyssa and even Slade (though that still doesn't make sense yet) but really the episode was just filler and set up so that was disappointing since I'm sure next week will be over stuffed.

Plus the William stuff falls flat because even if Oliver automatically loves the kid cause he's his kid, they made him react with a familiarity that didn't ring true to the distant and brief relationship that they have. I just can't buy Oliver saying "my boy" like that. Someone suggested if he'd said "my son" it would have rang truer and I agree. Also, sure, save the kid but it's hard to deeply get worked up when the only time we ever see the kid is when he's getting kidnapped. There is no other relationship between Oliver and William. He doesn't even talk about thinking of him except in terms of him being at risk with Chase (and even that conversation only came up a couple weeks after Chase's threats)

And I hated how bad a driver Diggle was in this episode. He couldn't have avoided the big dirt pile that was going to make them flip over? One little ninja blocked all that from sight? Maybe he should have let Felicity drive.

And also, no Oliver, you always push the ones closest to you away this time of year. Of course Chase would know you'd do it again.

I'm really curious what the sock thing was about. I feel like there's an inside joke there.

Once the birthday nonsense/Olicity fan service got out of the way, this episode kicked it up a notch and became really enjoyable. In a way, this the kind of episode you want before a season finale: It raised the stakes and put all the pieces on the board ahead of the last episode of the season.

Chase's plan worked very well for me this week, because there was no unexplained lazy mystery to it (like how he found William). The audience knows what his plan was and how he did what he did. Chase truly was 10 steps ahead here and I loved you could sense Oliver's desperation grow with each passing moment. Chase's choice of culprits is no surprise and I guess the reason behind Oliver going as far as recruiting Slade is that Talia is backed by an army. Although it does strike me as odd that Nyssa couldn't gather up any of her former League members.

Oliver typically making a mistake by going against Felicity's advice has become an Arrow tradition. The audience is tired of it, aren't the writers tired of resorting to it all the time?

Said this in the spoiler thread a while back, but this show tends to feel more like its old self when some familiar faces return. And I'm not just talking about Nyssa, Slade and Laurel. It was also nice to see Malcolm back. I felt his scenes with Oliver were a lot of fun and the dialogue between them was smart and introspective. Odds are that Malcolm won't make it out of next week's episode, so at least they are doing a couple of things right by him: Having him share scenes with Oliver and kick some ass. IMO Arrow made better use of him here than LOT did in the whole of season 2.

"Hey kid, I'm glad you came back". It only needed one sentence for me to remember how much I missed Slade.

"Husband".

The first scene between Quentin and Laurel was quite strong I felt, but Quentin's subsequent reaction fell a bit flat for me. He seemed to get over what he saw and who Black Siren truly is a bit too quickly for my liking. And he certainly seemed to get over Team Arrow lying to him even quicker. Not that I am a fan of Quentin constantly chewing Oliver and the rest out out, but if there's a valid reason for it, it should happen. All things considered, he has gotten over many shocks for someone who had a serious heart problem 3 years ago: Losing Sara, seeing her alive again, dating Donna, losing Laurel, dating Donna some more, seeing Laurel's doppleganger...

The flashbacks worked really well here. You can tell we are coming full circle and it was great to be reminded of some of Oliver's trials and tribulations over the previous 5 years. And of course Yao Fei had to be there in some form because he was the first person that Oliver met on Lian Yu. Laurel snapping Oliver out of the serum's effects kind of makes sense, given that Oliver - at that point - longed to see Laurel again. Next week's episode will entirely take place on Lian Yu by the looks of it and I'm guessing there'll be some parallel storytelling there. Will be interesting to see how they connect the flashbacks' end to the conclusion of Prometheus' storyline.

"You are strong, like a piece of iron". Yes! Yes! Yes! I knew we would get an Ivan Drago homage at some point.

"Υou are worse than a shipper on a soap opera". Geez Felicity. You could have just told him that he sounds like Diggle. It's one and the same. Speaking of Curtis, why does he need to clarify in every episode that he's gay? We get it, for crying out loud. There comes a point when making a character gay is less about developing that character and more about promoting how progressive you are. Arrow is long past that point with Curtis.

7/10. Would have given it an 8 if it wasn't for the first 10 minutes.
    Last edited by costas22; 05-18-2017 at 04:04 AM.

Posting Pro
    Υou are worse than a shipper on a soap opera". Geez Felicity. You could have just told him that he sounds like Diggle. It's one and the same. Speaking of Curtis, why does he need to clarify in every episode that he's gay? We get it, for crying out loud. There comes a point when making a character gay is less about developing about that character and more about promoting how progressive you are. Arrow is long past that point with Curtis.
    I'm howling! Diggle is indeed the show's Olicity shipper in residence (although Curtis seems to be edging in to take his Olicity Fanboy position!). I've ranted about Curtis' "Guys, I'm gay, in case you didn't catch that the first fifty times I mentioned it" godawful writing before. Let me just add that there is nothing "progressive" about how Curtis is portrayed on "Arrow". IMHO characters like Curtis do nothing for the LGBT community, or for the acceptance of gay people in real life. In fact, I think my gay friends would be embarrassed if they ever watched "Arrow".

"Arrow" should take a cue from "Orange is the new black" about how to portray LGBT characters. The OITNB women are so well-written and well-acted, and have such compelling stories, that their sexual orientation becomes just one aspect of their character portrayal (although the writers do not in any way hide or "euphemize" their in-prison sexual activities or identity as lesbians).

@Costas, you didn't comment on how Diggle and Felicity managed to come out of that crashed, burning car looking as unharmed and spiffy as ever! There is "suspension of disbelief" and then there is "shaking your head in disbelief"!
    Last edited by evaba; 05-18-2017 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    Once the birthday nonsense/Olicity fan service got out of the way, this episode kicked it up a notch and became really enjoyable. In a way, this the kind of episode you want before a season finale: It raised the stakes and put all the pieces on the board ahead of the last episode of the season.

"Υou are worse than a shipper on a soap opera". Geez Felicity. You could have just told him that he sounds like Diggle.
    7/10. Would have given it an 8 if it wasn't for the first 10 minutes.

Yeah, these 2 moments in the episode were cringeworthy and ones I could've done without. That said, all was forgiven by the end when THE MAN returned....Manu Bennett. I can't wait to see him back in action, next week. And of course, Black Siren was sexy as ever and you could clearly see she's having a hard time with her emotions involving Quentin.....I doubt she's faking that.

Quote Originally Posted by evaba View Post
    @Costas, you didn't comment on how Diggle and Felicity managed to come out of that crashed, burning car looking as unharmed and spiffy as ever! There is "suspension of disbelief" and then there is "shaking your head in disbelief"!

I mentioned this on another forum and was told by one person how this person's dad got in a car crash like that and came out of it pretty much unharmed with just a few scrapes. I guess you have to experience one like that to see the results, but from my perspective that crash looked pretty bad and seeing Diggle and Felicity pretty much unharmed looked pretty fake to me. But hey, what do I know? lol

I'm howling! Diggle is indeed the show's Olicity shipper in residence (although Curtis seems to be edging in to take his Olicity Fanboy position!). I've ranted about Curtis' "Guys, I'm gay, in case you didn't catch that the first fifty times I mentioned it" godawful writing before. Let me just add that there is nothing "progressive" about how Curtis is portrayed on "Arrow". IMHO characters like Curtis do nothing for the LGBT community, or for the acceptance of gay people in real life. In fact, I think my gay friends would be embarrassed if they ever watched "Arrow".

"Arrow" should take a cue from "Orange is the new black" about how to portray LGBT characters. The OITNB women are so well-written and well-acted, and have such compelling stories, that their sexual orientation becomes just one aspect of their character portrayal (although the writers do not in any way hide or "euphemize" their in-prison sexual activities or identity as lesbians).
    Well said. Won't disagree at all. Curtis is a mere caricature at this point. And something that we tend to forget about as time goes on is how removed he is from the canon character he's supposed to represent. The T-spheres alone don't make up for everything that's wrong about the character, imo.

It's not like the Berlanti shows can't get gay characters right. They did a good job with Alex over on Supergirl. Her relationship with Maggie Swayer does nothing for me because it's a trademark Berlanti-verse relationship, but as a gay character, she was handled very well. And now that I think about it, Nyssa's also falls in that category. It's Curtis and Sara's (during her Legends of Tomorrow stint) portrayals that make me shake my head at times.

Admittedly, I did start laughing when they came out with a few bumps and bruises! But like TheSecretVampire said, stuff like that may not be beyond the realm of realism. Besides, if I were to criticize Arrow for this, I'd also have to criticize The Dark Knight for the scene where Harvey Dent kills Sal Maroni in a similar manner while he walks away from the car unscathed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSecretVampire View Post
    Yeah, these 2 moments in the episode were cringeworthy and ones I could've done without. That said, all was forgiven by the end when THE MAN returned....Manu Bennett. I can't wait to see him back in action, next week. And of course, Black Siren was sexy as ever and you could clearly see she's having a hard time with her emotions involving Quentin.....I doubt she's faking that.
    Yeah, certainly looked that way. I have a feeling this is foreshadowing of one of the storylines she will be involved in next year: Her relationship with Quentin.

Overall it was a pretty good ep.

In a way, Oliver told Chase weeks ago how to mess with him when he said the team was his strength. Thanks for tip, Oliver.

Yeah, Quentin seemed too cool about the team not even telling him this year that E-2 Laurel is a) out and about and b) a heel. A scene with Quentin chewing the lot of them out on it would be expected, but I also don't need to see Quentin holding grudges til S6 either. While lots of fans want to see a Black Siren redemption arc -- and it would fit the universe's m.o. in terms of churning up the melodrama -- I would be fine with an unabashedly evil E-2 Laurel with no redemption whatsoever. I think Quentin/Oliver/Team Arrow anguish or guilt over E-1 Laurel is a card that can be played only so many times and my view was that Ep. 100 essentially addressed it, with Sara's LoT experience as a bit of an epilogue to it. Rehashing it via Bad Laurel doesn't look like the best use of what could be a really cool recurring villain, but I will reserve judgment to see how it unfolds from here.

Looks like Kovar really wants to break Oliver. The Rocky IV references might be flying over almost everyone's heads, but at least the show and Rocky fans know what they have with Dolph.

Having Laurel be the voice of reason in keeping Oliver from "opting out" was fitting, as she was one of the main reasons Flashback Oliver wanted to survive and stay alive. But it might be best if Oliver didn't bring up the memory of Shado when Slade is around.

"Husband." That alone is worth the price of admission for this ep. Slade himself appearing is the icing on the cake.

Anyone else think these shows release way too many teasers and flat-out spoilers, with all the news of castings, departures etc.? I know they want to create buzz, but this also deflates some of the surprises that we could have uncovered in the finale.

Malcolm had some good moments this ep., taking shots at both the cops and at Oliver's intelligence. When he does check out, at least we got a glimpse of the Merlyn of old, as he has just about exhausted his nine lives on Arrow.

Curtis is at his best when they just let him be. When they force things like in this ep. ... the corny jokes, the shipping ... he gets annoying.

Anyway, I am anticipating this finale eagerly, more than any other Flarrowverse show this season. I'm hoping it is a great send off for the five year arc and hints at what's to come in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post
    Anyone else think these shows release way too many teasers and flat-out spoilers, with all the news of castings, departures etc.? I know they want to create buzz, but this also deflates some of the surprises that we could have uncovered in the finale.
    At this point we should point out that Manu tried desperately to deny the reports about his return, even after Amell and Guggenheim announced his return.

I agree that it ruins the element of surprise, but it also goes with the territory I'm afraid. The season finale features a lot of exterior shooting and a paparazzi would have picked up on Slade or Nyssa's return. In fact there was a cell phone video of Amell walking with Deathstroke and Captain Boomerang's doubles. So all the producers could do in this instance is make the announcement before the leaks.

Posting Pro
    Overnight ratings are in. I couldn't find the GATV ratings' report, but I'll edit as soon as I do!

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/ar...-five-ratings/

A slight drop, but within the 1.5/0.5 range. That's the new normal, I'm afraid, and I don't see how season six will do any better, especially since it will be up against "This is us".

Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post

In way yes. I mean like I mentioned in another thread, the Flash sizzle reel pretty much confirmed Iris being alive. There's a scene within the first 10 seconds that shows Iris touching the Barry Savitar's deformed face....again, I know most of us think Iris didn't die but that part of the trailer all but confirms that and it came out weeks ago.

I skipped through the first 10 minutes to avoid the Felicity crap and thought it was a very good episode. John Barrowman provided more worth, entertainment and brilliance in one line than Felicity, WD, Diggle, Dinah and Curtis put together all season.

I bet the Felicity tree huggers exploded when Nyssa said 'husband'

If only we could get rid of those pointless characters and promote MB, JB and KL to season regulars alongside Katie Cassidy what a show it could become.

Posting Pro
    I just watched the two latest episodes (I had watched the car crash on a clip). I really liked 5X21, but 5X22 felt a bit too cluttered and fast-paced for me. It was nice to see all my faves back on the show, though....Black Siren/KC, Nyssa, Malcolm, Slade. It was a reunion that is fitting for the end of the flashbacks. I think the writers managed to tie in the final flashbacks with the Pilot and Oliver's five year purgatory pretty well.

There was some clunky dialogue, like Curtis' gushing over Oliver's and Felicity's alleged "sexual tension", especially since I saw so little of it! It's the "Arrow" writers' "telling-itis" which rears it's ugly head again....I mean, we're not supposed to be TOLD that Oliver and Felicity are still in love, we're supposed to SEE/feel it. However, the whole "Oliver and Felicity are back in their feels" scenario was IMHO so overdone and clunky that Curtis shipper speech just seemed more of the same poor storytelling.

Malcolm's comment about Oliver's computer skills also felt very "meta". I guess the producers/writers have read so many complaints about Oliver's retconned computer skills, and the over-emphasis on Felicity's hacking that they wanted to address the issue...but it still felt forced. And then there was the problem with the writers' tendency to re-iterate the central theme over and over again in dialogue....after a while I felt like shouting, "OK, I get it, Chase wants to torture Oliver by going after everyone he loves"! The scenes between Black Siren and Quentin were heart-rending, and I think Katie managed to convey that BS is not altogether bad or evil (and that she would not have agreed to kidnap Quentin if it hadn't been her key to freedom)..and Blackthorne was excellent as usual. I'm really looking forward to seeing the KC/PB interaction in season six, because they always played off each other so well.

As I said, 5X21 felt less cluttered and it had a better flow IMHO. Loved the Thea/Oliver scenes, and it's always a joy to watch Jamey Sheridan, even if it's on a tape. One dramaturgical detail I noticed is that when the team congregates in the lair, you sometimes get the feeling that they're allowed one line of expositional dialogue each, just so that everyone gets a speaking part. I would prefer if they split the characters up in smaller teams/convos, because that kind of multi-part dialogue has an unnatural feel, and it's almost as though the characters/actors are standing around waiting for their cue.

One final comment: I personally felt that the introduction of Dinah was hurried and that everything about her was just too convenient (the fighting skills, the cry, the NAME). However, Juliana Harkavy has won me over with her acting skills and low-key charisma, and I do wish she would get more substantial storylines and meatier emotional scenes that would make us know her better. Hopefully she'll get more to work with in season six.

P.S. Has it been established that the team uses tranqs (sp?) instead of bullets? Because with the amount of shooting they've done in these past two eps, the Team Arrow kill count would have gone up if they had been using real bullets!
    Last edited by evaba; 05-18-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Forum Whiz
    I love Nyssa.

Settling In
    The season was quite disappointing. The "new" Team wasn't just cutting it for me. The villain was another Merlin offshoot. When it turned out to be Chase I was yeah thats obvious so I skipped a few episodes. Last episode felt like a Finale. So I was curious about what they had now.

By luck I watched this one and was pretty excited the Birthday party was fun. A little spark of Olicity was good.

I really thought the show would go back to the original three. but then Diggle and Felicity had to get captured.

Black Siren: I wonder if this is how she (Laurel) comes back this season?

Merlin was a meh at first. I was like: "Not again!" sorry for the Merlin fans but his constant whining about being Ras made him annoying a few seasons back. Then I saw him in action and with Oli I forgot how great he was back in season 1. I wonder did Merlin tell Chase about Oli's son? to force Oli to act.

Yao Fei seeing him again was great even as a Ghost but I thought he would have encourage Oli to survive.

I was surprised to see Nyssa. for some reason she never crossed my mind. I thought Oli had recruited Cupid. Anyway Katrina Law/Nyssa is a smart addition.

and then the last one. I thought Oli was going to Lilah for Suicide Squad: Deadshot (I know he's supposed to be dead but given the roster at Argus).

But he got Slade. I forgot Slade is on that island in an Argus facility. Honestly Arrow never had a better villain in my opinion.

When he said "Hey kid smile I'm glad you came back"

I was going "Yes!" Fist in the air.

I am excited for the next episode!

I didn't watch every episode but:
    1. I thought Chase killed Evelyn?
    2. What happened to Ragman.
    Last edited by YutG; 05-18-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast