The Force is Strong!!! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Training the next generation of Jedi legends

Doctor Who #10.3 "Thin Ice"

New episode tomorrow night on BBC One and BBC America!

Episode Description: London 1814. The Doctor and Bill chill out at the last great frost fair on the frozen Thames, enjoying the carnival atmosphere and eating pies. But sinister lights are swarming beneath the ice, luring people to their doom in the black depths of the river – and as the Doctor gets on the case, a desperate band of local urchins could provide the clues he needs. Someone powerful and ruthless is plotting to attract as many people to the fair as possible… but why? And what lurks at the bottom of the Thames, waiting implacably for the first ominous cracks in the ice?

Forum Regular
    This one bothered me for several reasons; first is another trope where the companion witnesses the doctor's dark side firsthand, and gets disillusioned by it. Do we really need to do this with every companion? I wish there was another way to get the point across that the doctor's life isn't all "wonders of spacetime travel." How often does the doctor tell his current companions about his past ones? That's a dialogue i'd love to see sometime.
    2) the dialogue between the doctor and bill was hard to understand because of their accents. Made it hard to follow what's going on.
    Were there really frost fairs in the past? What was the point of them? Or was this just a plot-point? Also, i see the doctor's psychometry is becoming a thing. Kind of like it. The doctor is also against tattoos; don't know why, but he just gained a few points with me.
    Last edited by protege; 04-30-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Mad Man with a Box! HalJordan4184's Avatar
    There were frost fairs, on the River Thames, between the 17th and 19th century. This was called the "Little Ice Age", and the river regularly froze over. They were a carnival, just like was shown in the episode.

I don't see Bill as being disillusioned by the Doctor's dark side, she was startled by the practicality and frankness with which he deals with things. It's similar to a soldier, or First Responder. The Doctor puts on an unaffected face in the moment. He has the air of not caring. However, as has been demonstrated countless times throughout the shows history, he does care. He cares a lot. The anger and pain he has come from his compassion. Bill was shocked like most people are when thrust into a situation, especially involving death, that they eren't expecting. She even says, "I've never seen anyone die before". The Doctor has, a lot, and he has learned he can't dwell on that. He even explains, briefly, that you can sit and cry, process it, think about it, ponder it, and work through it or; you let it go and move forward. I can't remember his exact line, but it was basically, the time he would spend crying and processing something, is time that whatever he's found is killing or destroying others. He doesn't have that luxury.

Also, his decisions on life and death, were measured here. He attempts to tell Bill that not every choice is a good and bad. Sometime's it's two bad choices. It's a choice between lives, who lives and who dies. The Doctor has to make the choice. Or, in Bill's case, have her make it. As he points out to her, this is her world, and he can't go around just choosing for everyone. A repeating theme with 12 so far.

There have also been instances in the past where the Doctor has been shown starting the past companions and past lives conversations with his new companion. Notably, 10 with Martha. 9 and 10 with Rose. 11 gave the impression he told the Ponds a lot. The problem is this isn't a conversation that needs to happen on screen. It would be needless to most viewers, because after 54 years, it's just known the Doctor changes faces and companions every few years. Plus, it'd be a long conversation at this point.

As far as the episode itself, I liked it better than last weeks. The Doctor was more reserved, and I found it a decent Who episode.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by HalJordan4184 View Post
    There were frost fairs, on the River Thames, between the 17th and 19th century. This was called the "Little Ice Age", and the river regularly froze over. They were a carnival, just like was shown in the episode.

I don't see Bill as being disillusioned by the Doctor's dark side, she was startled by the practicality and frankness with which he deals with things. It's similar to a soldier, or First Responder. The Doctor puts on an unaffected face in the moment. He has the air of not caring. However, as has been demonstrated countless times throughout the shows history, he does care. He cares a lot. The anger and pain he has come from his compassion. Bill was shocked like most people are when thrust into a situation, especially involving death, that they eren't expecting. She even says, "I've never seen anyone die before". The Doctor has, a lot, and he has learned he can't dwell on that. He even explains, briefly, that you can sit and cry, process it, think about it, ponder it, and work through it or; you let it go and move forward. I can't remember his exact line, but it was basically, the time he would spend crying and processing something, is time that whatever he's found is killing or destroying others. He doesn't have that luxury.

Also, his decisions on life and death, were measured here. He attempts to tell Bill that not every choice is a good and bad. Sometime's it's two bad choices. It's a choice between lives, who lives and who dies. The Doctor has to make the choice. Or, in Bill's case, have her make it. As he points out to her, this is her world, and he can't go around just choosing for everyone. A repeating theme with 12 so far.

There have also been instances in the past where the Doctor has been shown starting the past companions and past lives conversations with his new companion. Notably, 10 with Martha. 9 and 10 with Rose. 11 gave the impression he told the Ponds a lot. The problem is this isn't a conversation that needs to happen on screen. It would be needless to most viewers, because after 54 years, it's just known the Doctor changes faces and companions every few years. Plus, it'd be a long conversation at this point.

As far as the episode itself, I liked it better than last weeks. The Doctor was more reserved, and I found it a decent Who episode.
    I don't know; the doctor's had a lot of companions over the milennia, and i'd kind of like to know how he felt about some of them.

Mad Man with a Box! HalJordan4184's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I don't know; the doctor's had a lot of companions over the milennia, and i'd kind of like to know how he felt about some of them.
    I guess the problem would be, we kind of know. He liked all of them. For differing reasons, sure, but it's not like he was surrounding himself with people he hated. The show is in it's 36th seaonn, and has over 800 episodes. It's got established lore. It's kind of difficult to not alienate viewership, if you have to go back and keep explaining your past. Especially given the limited run most British shows get. If you spend a significant amount of time just explaining how you go to where you are, there isn't a lot left for the Seasonal story overall. The show does it's best to give nods to the prior companions. It'd also be almost against character for the Doctor to just be talking about them as well. He's the man who never looks back, only forward. There was a thing someone posted somewhere, that basically summed it up, as a man with two hearts gets double the heart break every time. The Doctor doesn't like the pain of his past or goodbyes. 10 was the only Doctor who really did this, with the expanded storyline for his regeneration being he visited every companion he ever had, not just the ones from Tennant's run.

I guess at the end of the day people might get a kick out of it, but it's also a little unnecessary. The episodes and info are out there, and to rehash it could be more problematic then helpful at this point. I'd rather see new episodes. If there was a way to organically tie it into a new adventure, maybe. I must also admit, I'm a fan of seeing old companions come back somehow. I really got a kick out of 11, Jo, and Sarah Jane.