No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Ace Reporter?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Ace Reporter?"

Still makes me sad that barely anyone does live threads anymore, but in any event, talk about tonight's Supergirl here!
    10 - Aces!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - I'd like to Report a bad episode
    0%

one of the best Super-girl eps in a long time. Hardly any cliche "romantic" drama, but instead it's the good type of drama. I had to dock one point due to the fact that there was one thing with the ep I was unhappy with.

Namely, it seems like Snapper grant is welcoming Kara back into Catco.... which I'm sorta unhappy with. It wasn't very long that she was unemployed, etc... so it feels pointless that she was fired as seeing it now looks like it was only done for the sake of drama.

Comment

Good episode that shows Kara and Lena's friendship as Lena is a better friend to Kara than most. Mon-El is better as sidekick than romantic interest.

Glad Kara is back in CatCo as not being back would have made the point about her journalism be pointless.

The triangle with Jimmy/ Winn/ Lyra is okay as it didn't take too much time, but we still can't have two groups fighting crime. James and Lyra need to be in the DEO.

That was the least amount of time with J'onn and Alex.

Comment

I'm not sure where this show is going, but i'm not really interested in finding out. I'm sitting out the rest of the season-maybe i'll try again in season 3.

Comment

It was pretty solid I thought. Good way to begin the final stretch of the season.

The main storyline was quite captivating and it finally gave more screentime to two characters who really warranted it: Snapper and Lena. And the real positive with both characters is that their storylines intertwined with Kara's, but in a non-romantic way. How refreshing is that? It makes these characters seem more interesting, wherea Mon-El just remains a one dimensional love interest.

I'm pretty certain that a number of us called Kara's firing as a temporary arc intended for drama purposes and nothing more. It's exactly what the Flash did with Barry's CSI job earlier this season. These shows are alarmingly similar at times. I guess the big question is whether Kara earned her job back. I'd say yes on this episode's evidence, but it's also something that will be put to the test over the coming episodes. For me, the problem with Kara as a journalist was that she expected things to be handed to her and that she took the easy way out by using Supergirl as a source. Hopefully she will ditch those two nasty habits as a reporter from now on, but I wouldn't hold my breath that she will. Or that the show will focus on her journalism career much.

Lena and Kara's friendship seems to have blossomed fairly well. Don't know if credit should go to the writing or the way Katie and Melissa mesh together, but I always enjoy their scenes. They come across as more easy and organic than any of this show's romantic scenes. Lena seems to be at a moral crossroad and the way she leans on Kara to keep her on the straight and narrow reminded me of some of Clark and Lex's best scenes on Smallville. Will be interesting to see how Rhea's involvement spices things up from now on.

As far as the B arc of this episode goes, there was nothing enjoyable about it, sadly. They merged 2 off putting storylines (James as a vigilante and the Winn/Lyra romance) into one and the result was even more off putting. Lyra, IMO, adds nothing to the show or to Winn personally and having one more person running around playing hero is seriously pushing it. With this epidode focusing more on journalism, you would think that James as CatCo CEO would be a key part of that. But no. He was stuck playing hero and acting like a third wheel for Winn and Lyra's storyline. It's as if they are looking for new ways to misuse James each week.

Alex and Maggie were used exactly in the right doses this week.

7/10. Might have given it an 8, but the Winn/Lyra/James stuff dragged it down a bit.
          Last edited by costas22; 04-25-2017, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Didn't really do much for me. The reporting stuff comes across as fake, as if the writers have never actually worked in a newsroom or interviewed anyone that has. It's like how when Flash tries to depict an actual police investigation it comes across as if written by someone who watched a commercial for CSI. It feels so phony that the stakes don't interest me.

Lena Luthor is boring for me.

James as Guardian has no business being on the show if his story isn't going to relate to Supergirl's. Unless they're planting the seeds for something I'm not seeing yet (like, as an example, other aliens trying to become superheroes and Kara having to deal with that), that entire section should've been cut.

I continue to be a fan of Mon-El. He very much took on a sidekick/support role to Kara in this episode, which shows growth on his part, and has the added bonus of keeping the focus on Kara herself. I hope they keep that Captain-First Officer-type dynamic in tact. Nothing wrong with being Kirk's Spock.
            Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 04-25-2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I need to check this ep out. though I'm disappointed by the news James is caught up in a love triangle -- the one thing he needed to steer clear from. I understand why they need to give him something to do since the Guardian thing doesn't have much traction ... but getting him caught up in a 'can't catch a break' circle is bordering on vicious, esp. with he and Winn involved. Better boil up a fresh batch of potstickers.

Was he at least in attendance in the Snapper and Kara scenes, you know, doing his duty as publisher ... he should be though I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't. I guess it's a plus CatCo. is in the picture again, but whether the show will use the setting to its potential is another story. Civilian Kara needs to spent more time there and James as a character needs CatCo., desperately.

I think Mon-El is better suited as a friend than love interest, I became less interested in his fate the moment he got the Potential Kara Suitor label stuck on him, a curse he shares with James. Mon-El being friendzoned would be a blessing for his character.

Comment

Well, i watched it after reading a review, and i guess it wasn't bad , but two things stand out;
                1) the whole snapper/ kara vibe still feels off to me; in their scenes together, snapper was still rude, and kara was still entitled. Even her apology didn't seem genuine, because she didn't look him in the eyes. And when he took her back, i thought his reasons were a little shaky. We had to wait all season to get any kind of ice melt from him, and i'm still not convinced. Still not sure this whole catco thing is neccessary anymore.
                2) the subplot with james and winn was pointless; lyra acts like a psychpath and winn gets mad at james? I really don't like her.
                Last edited by protege; 04-25-2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor
                  I need to check this ep out. though I'm disappointed by the news James is caught up in a love triangle -- the one thing he needed to steer clear from. I understand why they need to give him something to do since the Guardian thing doesn't have much traction ... but getting him caught up in a 'can't catch a break' circle is bordering on vicious, esp. with he and Winn involved. Better boil up a fresh batch of potstickers.

Was he at least in attendance in the Snapper and Kara scenes, you know, doing his duty as publisher ... he should be though I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't. I guess it's a plus CatCo. is in the picture again, but whether the show will use the setting to its potential is another story. Civilian Kara needs to spent more time there and James as a character needs CatCo., desperately.
                  If you're going by my comment, my wording might have been a bit confusing. James isn't part of a love triangle, thank goodness. It's just awkward seeing him involved in Winn and Lyra's storyline (in a really messed up twist, the Guardian arc became about that relationship ). I like his friendship with Winn, but that's somethig that could have been explored without Lyra in the way.

Regarding CatCo, James was involved in only one scene. Kara wanted his help with her investigation but Snapper intervened and Kara decided to do it on her own. So it's not like we actually saw him at work...

Originally posted by protege
                  and kara was still entitled.
                  Latching onto this because it's something I noticed too. There were 2 different occasions where they wrote some un-Supergirl type of dialogue for her. The first was when the second whistle blower died and Kara told Mon-El "I lost my source". He was actually Snapper's source, not Kara's, and the more I think about that line the more I wonder why Kara even followed Snapper that night. Was she planning to eavesdrop on his conversation with the witness and then use it for her article? Again, not the way I'd like to see her go about as a journalist.

The second occasion was when she asked Snapper if he thanked Supergirl for saving his life. Granted, it was a bit tongue in cheek, but it still felt a bit too egotistical on her part.
                  Last edited by costas22; 04-25-2017, 08:34 AM.

Comment

That was a part of why I wasn't a big fan of her going back to Catco so quickly.
                    I wanted her to really EARN that job... show us that she could hack it as a news blogger. This way it would show everyone in Supergirl's universe that she was just that good at reporting, etc.

At this point she's hardly a reporter and all that... we don't even get to see her be a reporter. We get to see that with Clark Kent, so we understand why Clark Kent is seen as an respected reporter. With Kara? Not so much.

Comment

Also thought it was a strong ep, and well appreciated in that respect.

Interesting to see Rahul guest star, as he's active on IZombie, but enjoy him in both...

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎