No announcement yet.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AsteroidMike
    For trailer #1 it looks like it'll be good but I can't ignore the elephant in the room of it also bearing a lot of similarities to The Last Stand, what with Charles making the same mistake and someone important (probably Mystique) dying by the end.
    If you're talking about the funeral scene, it might be Jean's (she's "Phoenix" after all). Basically, she might seemingly get killed on a mission, early in the film, and is buried. However, then she shows up alive and begins to manifest the Phoenix Force.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
      If you're talking about the funeral scene, it might be Jean's (she's "Phoenix" after all). Basically, she might seemingly get killed on a mission, early in the film, and is buried. However, then she shows up alive and begins to manifest the Phoenix Force.
      I've definitely considered a lot of possibilities in regards to the funeral. Mystique seemed like the most obvious choice based on some of the way shots are angled, and the way Hank says "this is all your fault" to Charles in one scene, and plus the notion that Jennifer Lawrence really didn't wanna do another one of these, but had a change of heart.

Then I thought it might be Jean at one point. She dies at one point, either in the middle or at the end of the film and then turns into the Phoenix, but since she's present at the end of Days of Future Past in the good future she comes back again as she tends to do. Then I considered it may be Quicksilver or Magneto because of the end of DOFP, and this time neither of them are present. Plus there's a clip of Erik crying over something and it could possibly be Quicksilver (his son) or Mystique.

Comment

Originally posted by DigificWriter
        Somebody didn't watch Logan, because that film telegraphed the fact that history "echoes" and some things are gping to repeat themselves.
        I'm open to a lot of possible ideas for that scene. But speaking of Logan, I'm reminded that Charles apparently killed all the X-Men at the mansion when he had a brainwave seizure, but I don't think that's supposed to happen for several years in regards to this timeline.

Comment

According to Wikipedia, Kingberg's been interested in doing a more faithful adaptation of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Naturally, being an adaptation, certain things would have to be changed, but I could see them do it like this:

The film starts with the X-Men going into space on a mission, where Jean is seemingly forced to sacrifice herself, to ensure the survival of the rest of the team. They crash in a lake and Jean has seemingly been killed. There's a funeral, but not long after Jean emerges from the grave and is alive again. She begins to search for answers. Entering Jessica Chastain's character, who is trying to manipulate her and prompts Jean's transformation into Dark Phoenix. At some point, the film returns to the lake, where there's a cocoon and another Jean Grey emerges from it. Revealing that the other one's an entity, who took her place. Which leads to a confrontation between the two Jeans/Phoenixes (alongside the X-Men and mutants following Magneto).

We did see Jean alive in the future in DOFP (suggesting that the real Jean will win), but since when did this franchise respect continuity?

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
            According to Wikipedia, Kingberg's been interested in doing a more faithful adaptation of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Naturally, being an adaptation, certain things would have to be changed, but I could see them do it like this:

The film starts with the X-Men going into space on a mission, where Jean is seemingly forced to sacrifice herself, to ensure the survival of the rest of the team. They crash in a lake and Jean has seemingly been killed. There's a funeral, but not long after Jean emerges from the grave and is alive again. She begins to search for answers. Entering Jessica Chastain's character, who is trying to manipulate her and prompts Jean's transformation into Dark Phoenix. At some point, the film returns to the lake, where there's a cocoon and another Jean Grey emerges from it. Revealing that the other one's an entity, who took her place. Which leads to a confrontation between the two Jeans/Phoenixes (alongside the X-Men and mutants following Magneto).

We did see Jean alive in the future in DOFP (suggesting that the real Jean will win), but since when did this franchise respect continuity?
            DOFP was the director's way of seeing how bad the continuity got after The Last Stand debuted and then hitting the reboot button to fix out everything between the First Class movies and Bryan Singer's original trilogy.

I never expect a 100% adaptation of any comic storyline or comics in general because some things in comics don't translate well to film, but seeing as how the last time they tried to incorporate the Dark Phoenix Saga to film it was just meh, the reboot means now they can do it better, more faithful (and not have to change directors in the middle of filming) and end the FOX X-Men movies with a bang since this is supposed to be their last one before Disney and Marvel Studios take over.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I saw it last week. It wasn't bad. I have to give it a grade: B.

Comment

Didn't get a chance to watch it on the big screen, finally decided to check it out on iTunes. Didn't think it was anything special, just sort of happened. Found the ending weird. Jean leaves Earth, embracing the Phoenix Force... and everything just goes back to normal. The X-Men and Magneto's crew had just been arrested by federal agents. Yet, that was forgotten about after the train fight. There were talk about mutant internment camps, which were also forgotten about. Jean just leaves Earth, and all problems are solved.

Due to the Disney purchase, this is the final installment of the Fox X-Men franchise. Granted, they probably didn't go into production, expecting that, but it doesn't feel like a concluding chapter to a franchise that started 19 years ago. Watching it, I also understand why they took "X-Men" out of the title, as it's really Jean's story, rather than an X-Men story. This was the second time that Fox attempted to adapt the Dark Phoenix saga. I hope that Marvel Studios won't go for a third. In fact, I hope that the MCU won't re-use many of the same characters; specifically, characters that have been given much screentime. Realize that Dark Phoenix was the first Fox X-Men movie, devoid of Wolverine. He was in all the previous ones. In fact, X-Men 1-3 were essentially Wolverine movies; as was Days of Future Past to a large extent. He also got his own spin-off trilogy (the only X-Men character to get his own spin-off movie series), made an appearance in Deadpool 2 (with a photo of Hugh Jackman being featured multiple times in the first movie). Enough with Wolverine, it's time for the other thousands of X-Men characters to shine.

Comment

Rewatched this yesterday. To give the movie some credit, the Phoenix Force (i.e. the cosmic force) is never identified as such by Jessica Chastain or the other aliens. It's simply "the power" or "the force". So, it doesn't contradict Apocalypse, where Jean manifests the flame bird. That aspect remains Jean. She merges with this unnamed cosmic force, making her insanely powerful. If anything, the merging of Jean Grey and this massive cosmic force creates the Phoenix Force.

Don't think that a time jump to 1992 added anything to the story. If anything, it's weird that the team has the same line-up as in 1983. No departures. No new recruits. Nor does it being set in 1992 seemingly affect the plot. They don't use mutants (a fictional minority group) to explore fictionalized versions of real-world minority events/experiences of this time period.

This takes place in 1992. The end of Days of Future Past takes place in 2023. From that, we know that, within the next 31 years, Charles re-assumes his position at the school. And Jean returns. Bit curious about the latter.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎