0 0%
  • 1 - Disband this show

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Disbanded?"

What did you think?

New In Town
    I found it a decent episode, although I would have liked it if Olivier would have kept the team disbanded at least till next episode, because this way it feels like there are never any stakes, and that whatever happens next episode they will just go back ''normal'' again (although at least he isn't fully the same yet).

I Wonder if this episode is used to set up the Bratva as a enemy for next season, or that this in the end wont really matter much as long as they don't visit Russia.

I thought that Diggle was his usual self, however I find it strange what the writers have done with Felicity, since she becomes more and more illogical. That she joins Helix I can understand, and thus that she doesn't mind that Olivier asked the Bratva to help, however when diggle asked her upstairs in her appartment and then her reaction. She still knew something was wrong with Olivier, so although you might agree with the Bratva at least still work with Diggle to get Olivier back to take on the hood again.

that rant aside, now that Adrian is unmasked, and that he is out, I wonder what else he has up his sleeve, and mostly if he will end up dead (probably) or if he will actually survive and share a prison on a lovely tropical island.

As for the flashback part, Olivier said that is has been nearly 5 years right before he goes back to the island, but if I look at his hair and beard from episode 1, it seems like a few months easily so it has then been more then 5 years? like 5.5? maybe I am just overthinking it but seems strange to me. o well.

Arrow is still on a roll with yet another solid episode. Love the Bratva subplot? You'll have Bratva coming out of your ears -- in both flashbacks and present time. Anatoly enters the current storyline! Oliver was so desperate ... he invited the Bratva back to the city to try to finish off Chase, which of course could not end well. The past and the present tied in nicely and I'm relieved that Anatoly didn't die, though there is no love lost between them now. It looks like Flashback Oliver came up with the Lian Yu exile idea in Russia and got a lift there thanks to his Bratva brothers.

While there were still a few mind games with Chase and Oliver acting in public like it's business as usual at city hall, Prometheus has indeed broken Oliver's spirit and it looked like he was going to disband the whole operation. And for a while, he did. The team, the mission, it was all toast.

This may have been Diggle's shining moment of the season.

He's the right hand, he was relentless in dragging Oliver out of his self-loathing and Oliver refused to listen on multiple occasions. Diggle kept the team together, had them operate ad hoc out of Felicity's loft, squirreled together spare gear and weapons from Lyla. He would not give up. This is the Diggle I'd want to see more of, I'm hoping the show will give him the opportunity to do so next season.

The Helix subplot is just there, everyone is inexplicably cool with Felicity running off to do Helix stuff, during what is obviously the team's most vulnerable moment. It's apparently all justified because she was doing things to help them. There was an odd private chat between Diggle and Felicity, where he's urging her to go with him to present a united front to convince Oliver not to get in bed with the Bratva, let's save his soul etc. ... and she says they should just let Oliver play it out. I know she was spending most of the episode trying to descramble footage of Prometheus unmasking to show Chase's face, but I'd call this one moment where she should have told Helix to cool their heels for a moment and gone with Diggle.

That was slightly irksome -- but, oh well, the fewer the heroes, the greater the glory. Diggle was the glue here in this episode. He did the heavy lifting here, he kept Oliver from giving up. He kept the team together and was there when Oliver came back to his senses. Diggle rightly will deserve much credit for saving the team, the mission, Oliver and yes even his soul when the season wraps up. Felicity was present for attendance, as were other teammates, but it was Diggle who was there when Oliver had shunned everyone.

The 'Hand of the King' did his duty, and then some. Some of David's best work too, I'd say.

What was silly was Felicity and Curtis' unmasked break-in at Kord Industries. Diggle had masks and gear for everybody when they went out as 'no-name brand' Team Arrow -- what, did they run out of masks? All that effort to steal tech from Kord, and they didn't even think to wear a disguise, mask?

Of course Chase stole every scene he was in, even though there weren't as many in a team/Bratva heavy ep. But his final scene was priceless. If you've seen it, you know why. I won't spoil it here.

(Slade's stranglehold on the 'best Arrow villain' crown has been steadily slipping with Prometheus' arrival, it just may be Chase's to take by season's end ...)

Forum Regular
    I could not tell but when Curtis and Felicity unmasked Adrian. Did they unmask him as the green arrow or as prometheus

The streak of decent-to-good episodes wasn't going to last forever. This one was mostly a convoluted mess that only had a couple of bright spots: David Aykl and David Ramsey's acting.

The rest was Oliver feeling sorry for himself over who he is, but still committing crimes (asking someone else to kill for him, enabling the Bratva to steal drugs.). Like I said last week, I can't be invested in a show that still jerks its protagonist's moral code around 5 years on. It's a writing crutch that outlived its usefulness 3 years ago, at least. What's also getting really old, across both main Arrowverse shows, is the tendency to tear down the titular hero to prop the sidekicks. And yes, if you are a Diggle fan, it's great to see him be the glue that holds the team together. Just like if you're a Felicity fan, it's great to see her save the day in the end. But as someone who watches this show mainly for Oliver Queen, he cut a sad, pathetic and frustrating figure this week, imo. And on that end, this episode failed. And before the words "character development" are thrown around, I'll point out that it would have been the case if Oliver was dealing with his inner darkness for the first time. Not for the 3rd or 4th time.

I am kind of looking forward to the next episode. With the Helix storyline coming to the forefront, it will be nice to have someone finally call out Felicity on the questionable alliance she has forged with them. Of course, I don't expect that person to be Oliver. The last 2 episodes have made sure that he is in no place to lecture anyone about crossing the line. I mean, if he comes across as a hypocrite for criticising Anatoly's actions, that will be the case 10 times over if he tries the same with Felicity.

Bye Susan. I feel bad for Carly Pope. Just like Tyler Ritter, she was cast to play one of the most perfunctory characters that have ever existed on this show: A random love interest who must never look half as good as their predecessor and who will be dropped from the storylines in a whimper.

The last scene with Chase driving away to The Rascals' song felt a bit silly. Unless there's some kind of hidden message that got lost on me. Taking nothing away from Josh' terrific work, for yet another week.

As the Russian flashbacks are coming to an end, it looks like Anatoly will only be an on screen enemy of Oliver's from this point on. It's kind of sad, because their friendship was always an enjoyable aspect of Arrow.

4/10 Not the greatest of weeks for the Berlanti shows..
    Last edited by costas22; 03-30-2017 at 12:33 AM.

I didn't find Oliver's solution to the Prometheus problem terribly convincing, to be honest. I understand him being torn up inside over what Chase did to him, but their handling of it just feels... off. Why subject the city to Anatoly at all? If Oliver's at the point where he's willing to go THAT FAR to stop Chase, why not just assassinate the dude yourself? The plan and his mindset are just confusing.

Helix is a cartoon, but it's really just the latest example of these shows perpetuating the myth that a hacker with a computer can do literally anything and do it in about 10 seconds at exactly the moment the show needs it to happen. I'm at the point now where I find Supergirl's freeze breath more plausible than half the crap Helix, Felicity, and Cisco over on Flash pull on a weekly basis. Don't tell me Arrow isn't about super powers. Felicity has super powers.

David Ramsey was excellent in this episode. Josh Segarra continues to be excellent. I continue to enjoy Rick Gonzalez's work. The episode was just too muddy.

Posting Pro
    Another episode I enjoyed very much. Just hope one day we will watch Oliver saving Anatoly. Loved it, how much Anatoly sounded like Oliver himself when he explained to him why he is how he is.

I do wonder if Oliver's accusation of Anatoly being like Gregor now is accurate, simply because Kovar might be pulling strings within the Bratva again. And without Oliver Anatoly has to go along with Kovar. At least, what Anatoly hinted at sounded a bit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward Galaxy View Post
    I didn't find Oliver's solution to the Prometheus problem terribly convincing, to be honest. I understand him being torn up inside over what Chase did to him, but their handling of it just feels... off. Why subject the city to Anatoly at all? If Oliver's at the point where he's willing to go THAT FAR to stop Chase, why not just assassinate the dude yourself? The plan and his mindset are just confusing.
    I wondered about that, too. But I guess Oliver is simply completely confused right now. Chase never made clear what he wanted, except for vague statements like Oliver needing to find out who he really was. Which has to make Oliver curious. So fall all enemies tried to kill him: what do Talia and Chase really want from him?

One thing was made clear in this ep, though, Oliver is by no means broken. He just tried another way, a plan Chase had not anticipated, and wanted his friends out of the game. He probably hoped that Chase was not aware of his ties to the Bratva - though considering all the knowledge Chase displayed so far I doubt Oliver was right. But why didn't Anatoly hire a sniper?

Also, I think Oliver has to take into account that Talia is working with Chase. Oliver does not know to what extend, but while Chase seems to be working alone I think this is not the truth. Chase knows too much about Oliver, there must be others than Talia (Malcom comes to mind). I mean, who knows about Shado? Oliver never was open about his past on the island with anybody. Are there more than a handful of people who know about Shado? Sara, Slade and Anatoly were there and are still alive. I don't recall how much Oliver told Felicity and Diggle, but at least they know she had been on the island. Who else?

It would have been nice to see Oliver's falling out with the Bratva drawn out longer, with Oliver making more troubling choices with the Bratva over maybe an ep or two more -- this would have been my preference considering their long history. But this is case where they've simply run out of time in S5, so Anatoly turning from friend to foe in one episode did look a bit rushed.

It actually would have been cool for Oliver to still have a friend from flashback days who was not a clear-cut "good guy", but I guess this isn't going to be the case now. Anatoly is alive at least, a good call on their part to keep him breathing as a character.

What puzzles me about the Helix subplot is that it seems the team has been indifferent about Felicity just running off whenever Helix beckons, not just this ep but for the past few eps. If there was an ep where this should not have been cool with them -- it was this one, with the team about to be shelved for good. Yet, everyone on the team shrugs and it's apparently tolerated because she contributes to the mission.

I'm hoping it's Diggle who calls Felicity out, I think he may be the only one who could and this past ep. gives him considerable weight in having the credibility to do that. I'm also expecting that she'll only get a slap on the wrist, I don't think they'll come down hard on anyone who is the primary love interest on these shows. The show and her fans will paint the Helix arc as her "island" journey ... but her journey was only ever going to be Decaf Dark. As long as she doesn't come out of it smelling like a rose, which is also a possibility. I feel this ep makes it less likely, with Diggle not Felicity stepping up to keep Oliver's cause alive. Were this an Olicity-driven season, Felicity would have been doing all the lecturing and cajoling, not Diggle. If people are going to say that it was all Felicity's doing in saving Oliver and his cause when it was on its last breath, this ep is the checkmate to that argument. It's canon: Diggle was the undisputed clutch hitter here, even if he himself does a 'It's a team effort' speech and shares the glory.

I would say Diggle needed a moment like this ep., if only to preserve his continued presence on the team in S6. S5 was essentially post-Andy anguish "The Extended Blu-Ray Edition" and once he got out of prison, he's been spinning his wheels. I feel he'd need something equivalent to his S2 ARGUS subplots to justify his main roster status, not sure if he'd actually get this in S6.

But the teams indifference about Felicity's freelancing job also leaves the impression they tolerated it. Only Curtis expressed some lukewarm unease about her and Helix, hardly calling her out on it. I think Helix knowing Team Arrow's identities has got to be troubling for them. It kind of reminds me of Felicity letting Barry in on the Arrow's identity back in S2 and Oliver's understandable response: "That's not your secret to tell." We may get a newbie version of that, if only to underline the point that people in the team shouldn't be cavalier with the team's real identities, esp. with people they barely know and that they have little reason to place trust in.

Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post

This may have been Diggle's shining moment of the season.

He's the right hand, he was relentless in dragging Oliver out of his self-loathing and Oliver refused to listen on multiple occasions. Diggle kept the team together, had them operate ad hoc out of Felicity's loft, squirreled together spare gear and weapons from Lyla. He would not give up. This is the Diggle I'd want to see more of, I'm hoping the show will give him the opportunity to do so next season.

The Helix subplot is just there, everyone is inexplicably cool with Felicity running off to do Helix stuff, during what is obviously the team's most vulnerable moment. It's apparently all justified because she was doing things to help them. There was an odd private chat between Diggle and Felicity, where he's urging her to go with him to present a united front to convince Oliver not to get in bed with the Bratva, let's save his soul etc. ... and she says they should just let Oliver play it out. I know she was spending most of the episode trying to descramble footage of Prometheus unmasking to show Chase's face, but I'd call this one moment where she should have told Helix to cool their heels for a moment and gone with Diggle.

That was slightly irksome -- but, oh well, the fewer the heroes, the greater the glory. Diggle was the glue here in this episode. He did the heavy lifting here, he kept Oliver from giving up. He kept the team together and was there when Oliver came back to his senses. Diggle rightly will deserve much credit for saving the team, the mission, Oliver and yes even his soul when the season wraps up. Felicity was present for attendance, as were other teammates, but it was Diggle who was there when Oliver had shunned everyone.
    Felicity not going with Diggle to be that united front and being cool with Oliver bringing in the Bratva are clearly part of her slipping toward the darkness. Its supposed to be off.

Now since it's Felicity, her ride into the dark includes exhausted fantasies of free pie but yeah, the message of the episode seemed to be how having the right person to have your back can make all the difference in if you become a better person like Oliver did when he left Russia or a worse person like Anatoly did when he lost the benefit of Oliver's habit of at least wanting to do what is right.

Felicity has been isolated all season long. Part of the has been her choice in not wanting the open up but also not feeling she could. When Rory aka Ragman left, she no longer confided in anyone. So her going it alone and being zen about the Bratva is just another sign of the her dark arc.

Helix obviously is going to be a problem but I'm not honestly sure I'd know that if MG didn't spell it out in every interview. Cause so far, they've been a big help and every time she brings in something she's found through working with Helix, Oliver has gushed in his praise. Clearly in the next episode that will change but so far there's been nothing but positive reinforcement to using them, lol.

The lack of masks (and gloves) is an ongoing complaint against the show. I tried to reason that they shut down the cameras at least and hopefully that knockout drug would scramble his memory. Funny that Felicity just keeps it on hand. Not like she had access to the lair, lol.

I suppose after Slade she's always prepared.

I liked the use of the music with Chase's exit. Highlights his crazy. The episode did a great job showing who really was the crazed monster using a mission as an excuse to indulge his love of killing.

This episode was solid bromance. One from the past that has now failed and one that will never be over. Sad about Anatoly but he is a bad guy, sigh. So nice to see David Ramsey get a chance to shine. And finally we've broken past robotic Oliver. Even in the first half where he was hesitant and broken was better than the blank, Go through the motions guy we so often saw in Oliver.

Now Diggle is back at peak form and Oliver is recovering, now the show can turn to fixing Felicity.

And the noobs can keep just hanging in the background.
    Last edited by BkWurm1; 03-30-2017 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BkWurm1 View Post
    Felicity not going with Diggle to be that united front and being cool with Oliver bringing in the Bratva are clearly part of her slipping toward the darkness. Its supposed to be off.
    I'm expecting that she will be called out on this, and 99.999% likely by Diggle. He could take the moral high ground on it too, after this episode. It would be a fail if she wasn't called to account for this.

Diggle as a character needed an ep like this and I feel they used him well in this episode. Ramsay was great.

I liked the use of the music with Chase's exit. Highlights his crazy. The episode did a great job showing who really was the crazed monster using a mission as an excuse to indulge his love of killing.

This episode was solid bromance. One from the past that has now failed and one that will never be over. Sad about Anatoly but he is a bad guy, sigh. So nice to see David Ramsey get a chance to shine.
    That's how I took that ending sequence with Chase. For all his criticizing of Oliver's "thrill-killing", Chase was relishing every moment the minute he realized the other shoe had dropped and he was about to be arrested. I wouldn't go as far as saying he was Joker-crazy, but he's certainly missing a few cards in his deck and his escape highlighted it.

Plot aside, this was the most bromantic episode this season. Past or present timeline, it was everywhere. The death of one (Anatoly's), the resurgence of another (Diggle's). The only thing missing was maybe Oliver and Anatoly slapping each other with towels like bros in some Russian sauna in the flashbacks, or Oliver and Diggle having a belching contest while scarfing down nachos and chili during Sunday night football. Oliver broke his Bratva bro code, while Diggle reminded him of their own bro code.

Going back to plot, I feel Diggle needs more than the Oliver bromance to sustain his character, I would expect no less for someone who is still a main roster member -- but the bromance angle is always a part of his character. No doubt he is the alpha bro, proven in this episode. Don't need it in extra strength over 23 episodes however, so this heavy dosage in this ep. may be some late-inning compensation for not having much of it in S5 when Diggle was in his real and existential prison in the first half.

The Oliver-Diggle bromance is on again -- but Diggle plotwise going forward is a whole other dilemma. They can't forget the former obviously, but they do need to double down on the latter in S6 if he's to retain his alpha bro status.

Quote Originally Posted by Freawaru View Post
    I wondered about that, too. But I guess Oliver is simply completely confused right now. Chase never made clear what he wanted, except for vague statements like Oliver needing to find out who he really was. Which has to make Oliver curious. So fall all enemies tried to kill him: what do Talia and Chase really want from him?

One thing was made clear in this ep, though, Oliver is by no means broken. He just tried another way, a plan Chase had not anticipated, and wanted his friends out of the game. He probably hoped that Chase was not aware of his ties to the Bratva - though considering all the knowledge Chase displayed so far I doubt Oliver was right. But why didn't Anatoly hire a sniper?
    I'd say he's quite broken. He willingly let Bratva come into his city and steal drugs. And now due to his falling out with Anatoly they remain there ready to cause chaos. His conscience couldn't handle the team killing Chase (although Wild Dog kills B-level thugs every week) but it could handle the city suffering from the Bratva.

It was like he was trying to prove to Chase that he's not as destructive as he accused him of being: He is actually worse.

Forum Regular
    I found Oliver steered into the skid, so to speak. He was convinced he was a serial murderer and that he was beyond redemption, so he allowed himself to revert to season 1 Ollie. But he was also a bit selfish in thathe didnt want to do the dirty work due to his self loathing so he called in the big guns, consequences be damned.

Oliver was/is broken and hes not letting himself see his development post season 1. All he sees is the carnage, which to be fair I understand. Looking back on it now, clearly he didnt need to kill the majority of those people throughout the series, so he needs to work on that (which will prob lead into season 6). However, his crusade changed at the beginning of season 2, he needs to understand that because he did a lot of good without killing, so clearly murder was and is not his main reason for doing what he does.

Anyway, not as good as the last couple, but still a damn good episode. I love Chase as a villain, he is awesome and I loved the last scene. The music was perfect.

There were some plotholes in this episode (meaning: quite visible Plot Demands and Because of the Reasons) and it was not as good as the previous ones, but still I enjoyed it. Predictably Oliver's angst didn't last too long - but I appreciate that he didn't instantly put the hood back on. Saw speculations about Ollie getting a new outfit. Mhm, that set me thinking. Just please, don't go back to sleeveless suit.

I found Oliver's and Antaloy's scenes a really strong point of the episode, and was genuinely sad to see them parting the ways like that (especially when compared with the flashbacks, when they were on very good terms). David Nykl is one of those actors I'm never tired of watching (but did they just set him as one of big bads of season 6?). Liked also Dig and Oliver's bromance - it's been a while since they've shared so many scenes, talking about the crusade, vigilantism, mission, manly angst... and no word about shipping. (Then again I still had that meme with Dig at back of my mind with John commenting Oliver's news about shutting everythind down - "But season 6, man..." ). Team dynamics was okay (lol, Wild Dog didn't finish that ComStat report, apparently, and Quentin had to ban him from the office), convinient hacking served it purpose (was okay with Felicity's and Curtis's part in this episode - hacking everything quickly is just a part of Plot Demands, as much as Chase not dying in shootout between Bratva and vigilantes etc.), Susan and Oliver are no longer together (predictably, but at least she is alive - for the time being).

Seeing Oliver killing guards without a second thought made me uneasy. :/ Yes, he was a monster, I get it. But the fighting sequence reminded season 1 set up.

The last scene with psycho Chase was... Damn... Okay, officially, in that case even my favorite shrink of the universe wouldn't be able to do anything.

Overall it was quite pleasant to watch (I had a really crappy week - felt like Ollie after confrontation with Prometheus, so some mindless entertainment was exactly what I needed today ).

New In Town
    While many critical points have been well made above, I mostly liked this episode. It was interesting to see Oliver a bit broken by physical and even more so mental torture. Some of his behavior after getting back did seem completely irrational and not useful, but then I guess I felt a bit more forgiving of that since I believe he spent several days being tortured. That kind of suffering mixed with the strong willed leader type is bound to create mixed results. I did like that the teem kept up without him and honestly I preferred him joining back in by the end of the episode, since I feel that shows do the falling off from being a hero for a little while too frequently. When it's less than one episode and he spends the time scheming (however irrationally) it doesn't really count. I liked the way Diggle was portrayed. I feel like I like the idea they're going for with Felicity, but the execution feels a bit lacking still. If she had had a radical personality change after losing her boyfriend it would have been a bit easier to buy her grasping onto something like Helix. If Helix had in a way given her purpose and brought her out of her dark phase I might have been able to better buy the team accepting it. While I liked that she didn't go all emo and hate Oliver after his accidentally killed her man (as that would have been the predictable choice) instead she seemed to get over the death way too easily and then start down a "dark" path in a happy-go-lucky way because they can help her find things... The one thing that really bugged me in this episode while watching it was the scene where the Bratva had all the hostages and team arrow freed them. The hostage holders acted like they had all been paralyzed standing up. They just stood there not shooting the hostages or at those coming to rescue them.

I think I'm in "enjoy Arrow" mode right now. This wasn't as good as the past couple, but still fairly engaging. Oliver's logic was pretty flawed. Let's blame the torture, right?

I'm just waiting for the story arc where Star City finds out about the mayor's ties to Russia. Can you say "timely"?

What's the word Rene keeps using - "hoss"?

If Oliver does get a new costume, maybe it's time to ditch the hood in favor of a hat with a feather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast