Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Exodus?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, considering that Kara and Kal-el is part of an endangered species in this universe, they would probably see pregnancy as a welcome thing. Hell, in the universes where they're literally the last of their kind they would want it to happen so that the Kryptonian race did not end with them alone. Honestly, I think they just look at pregnancy differently than humans do.... they wouldn't see it as an "consequence" or even a negative thing... they would probably see it as a blessing.

Of course, there is the usual worries of who'll take over their superhero duties, etc, when they become parents.

But of course with humans and damitixes there's the question of whenever they can even breed with Kryptonians in this universe... after all you typically can't breed with somebody outside your own species unless they're part of the same sub-species or something like that. And even then hybrids tend to be infertile with the exception of rare cases like the grizzly/polar bear hybrids.
    Damitixes are a cousin race to Kryptonians... but the question is... how close are they to Kryptonains genetically? They could end up being like domesticated rabbits, who can't breed with wild rabbits because they're too different genetically.

And Speople, you seem to have forgotten my point that those episodes take time over several months, etc. It's not like Kara only knew Mon-el for a week before jumping into bed with him. the idea that women should only be having sex if they're married.... sorry but that's horribly old fashioned even to somebody like me.

Comment

I forgot to mention that they borrowed a quote from Lois and Clark. Clark once told Lois, "Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am." I believe they were in Smallville in that episode, and she was still mad at him for not telling her he was Superman.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
        Speople, you seem to have forgotten my point that those episodes take time over several months, etc. It's not like Kara only knew Mon-el for a week before jumping into bed with him. the idea that women should only be having sex if they're married.... sorry but that's horribly old fashioned even to somebody like me.
        Old fashioned or not, I'm not religious, but, even though I was literally offered sex on a plate many, many times, including a threesome with 2 girls and a foursome with 3 girls, I turned every offer down, because I believe sex should be with someone special, someone to whom one is married. Yes, I was quite a bit older than Kara, and yes, as can be inferred from my post, I'm a man and can honestly say I've never met another guy who 'waited' as well.

Kara could quite easily see that Mon never thought of anyone as being THAT special. Could see he views sex as something done purely for fun rather than out of love (iirc he was at it with Eve the 1st day he met her). And yet the 1st time that her and Mon have a kiss, and yes, it WAS inferred that it was their 1st proper kiss, she then straight darn hops straight into bed with him and I doubt that she carries contraception around, or that like my twin brother (who btw, unlike me, generally tended to have anything that moved), that Mon is also the kind of guy who doesn't use protection because it would spoil the sensation somewhat, and therefore spoil his 'fun'.

Too often in society sex is viewed as drop of the hat stuff. It's imo therefore a big pity that the showrunners chose to take Kara down the same route as most of society, especially Western society, as well, instead of showing her as someone with 'different' values who has a 'different' outlook.

'Heroine' - yes. A 'Super' girl, however - sadly, no.

Your premise about time on the show is still weak. Kara and Mon were never shown as being an item. Other than Mon kissing her when he was sick, they never kissed, never dated, weren't therefore an item, merely friends and given Mon's behaviour it was quite a strained friendship as well.

Comment

I do agree that the "romance" between them is quite weak in itself. and I do agree that they weren't given enough time to build up the romance itself and that it does seem rushed. One reason why I'm not a Mon-el/Kara shipper. (KarMon ship? Monkara? jeez, when you mash the words together it sounds like a pokemon. lol)

But, I don't see how being friends first before dating made her "slutty". The thing is, she did get to know Mon-El.
          I've known people in real life who got to know each other as friends only first, and then ended up dating each other. And given the timeline, you could say it was within a reasonable time frame too... took months to know each other as friends.

to me personally-- a lady (and men, for that matter) is only a slut if they literally were willing to jump into bed with somebody they only knew each other for a day or even a week. To me 3 to five months at most is a reasonable enough time to get to know each other before jumping into bed with them. After all it's not like they're talking about marriage here.
          Plus, it's not like she was jumping into bed with James olsen or Winn before this.... so it's not like she sleeps around, you know?

Does it seem very rushed on the show? YES. But to me this is more the fault of the writers than a reflection of Kara's character.
          Last edited by Aurora Moon; 03-09-2017, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I believe the shippers call them KaraMel. Not a fan of the name. And, full disclosure, I soo want Mon-El to join the universe-wide Can't Catch a Break Club, so I am expecting the ship to implode at some point. James I think has one last shot with Kara before his friend zone status is sealed in concrete.

I don't feel there was any active intent to portray Kara's moral values as superior to anyone else, beyond her striving to appeal to humanity's better angels and seeing life as glass half full hopeful. I do see where the idea that she may be seen as a role model -- Superman is a known commodity on their Earth and bearing the S-shield comes with expectations, fairly or not. I don't feel those expectations extend to the privacy of the bedroom esp. re: Kara the civilian's dating history. If the impression is that people are hooking up quickly, it's a Berlantiverse thing more than anything to do with Kara. Just look at Nate and Amaya on LoT. Until Nate developed inevitable feelings for her, they were going at it like rabbits and were openly casual about it. Compared to this, KaraMel has been glacial in pace.

Do I feel Kara has become a bit of a role model on her Earth? Yes, largely due to the association with the S-shield and what it represents to them. Do I think her role model duties extend to setting an example by her dating behaviour? No, and when you consider that it is Kara's personal life it's actually nobody's business. If SG were to star on her own TLC reality series and spent each week dating a different guy, then she would be airing her personal life for public consumption. She's not doing that here. Kara's private life and SG's public role are separate and until Kara holds a press conference to reveal her identity as SG, I don't see why her dating history, whether she is a vegan or not, etc. should even matter.

If there is a problem, it's that they don't write romance well. And that's a universe-wide issue. It's formulaic, can come off as forced and as a result they don't do a good job of selling it, regardless if they paint it as casual as Nate and Amaya or like Mon-El dating Kara a few times in OffscreenVille before getting busy.

I'm not even gonna wade into the alien STD thing.

Comment

Originally posted by speople
              @ Backward Galaxy: You've made a few really good posts (and points above). However I would like to point out that yes, while the DEO may have advanced methods of checking to see if aliens are healthy, they can ONLY work on the basis of what they know of. Here on earth, AIDS was unknown for decades amongst the human populace before it was isolated as being the cause of deaths that were previously put down to other ailments, especially since people who die from AIDS don't die from the aids virus itself, but instead die from a normal disease they have simply lost the ability to fight against.

Exactly the same premise could be applied to ANY of the aliens on Earth in Supergirl. ANY one of them could be a carrier of a deadly off-world STD that is unknown. An STD that the DEO would have therefore certainly missed.
              I don't disagree with what you're saying, but if she's going to be in a relationship with Mon-El at all, there comes a point where she's done everything she can to check if he's healthy and she's just going to have to go for it. It's not necessarily about whether or not the DEO's tests are foolproof as much as it is about Kara having an educated reason to believe he is healthy. Based on the world-building they've done, I think we CAN assume that Kara has information indicating Mon-El is healthy and clear of STDs. It's not as assumption she's made or an issue she has ignored.
              Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 03-10-2017, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Alex should be fired for going rogue. The way she can get away with anything..beating a suspect, disobeying a direct order..its crazy. At least Snapper has the guts to stay true to his convictions and fired Kara for disobeying her boss, and all she did was print an article, unlike Alex who beat someone and potentially could have gotten quite a few aliens murdered.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
                  I forgot to mention that they borrowed a quote from Lois and Clark. Clark once told Lois, "Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am." I believe they were in Smallville in that episode, and she was still mad at him for not telling her he was Superman.
                  Yes they did and yes it was. I believe it was the episode "Tempus, Anyone?"

Comment

Originally posted by ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~
                    Yes they did and yes it was. I believe it was the episode "Tempus, Anyone?"
                    It was Tempus but it was his first appearence in Tempus Fugitive. I recognized it at once because it's one of my favourite L&C quotes because it describes L&C's Clark to a T.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                        I assumed Kara would just go work for her bestie, Lena. Which will of course bring them closer together only to eventually put them at odds, leading to the "Will she betray Kara or not?" moment for Lena.
                        The conventional wisdom is that the Lena/Kara relationship will match the Lex/Clark dynamic on Smallville, i.e. Lena starts out as an ally and eventually turns into a foe. It would be surprising if that didn't happen, but, in any case, it won't happen that soon as I assume the writers and producers expect the show to continue on for many seasons.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎