Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cupid is smarter than all other archers in the universe...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cupid is smarter than all other archers in the universe...

...as she is the only one that (despite her craziness) realizes that they are expensive and meant for reuse.

It was the first time ever that any archer did what real life archers do all the time. That deserves a separate topic.

Not to mention that I find surprising the amount of hate Cupid gets. Is she written poorly? Yes. Is there a lot of wasted potential? Yes. Is she the only case? No. Does the actress do the best she can with the material she is given? Yes.

And since I have a sympathy for minor, troubled and broken characters I simply can't agree with the logic that Cupid is to blame for the fact that episodes she was in were weak. 3x07 is the only one she the focus was put on her, so I think it's fair to critize that one if someone finds the concept of the character and the story unconvincing.

Actually for me Carrie's story is first and foremost... sad. And tragic. But I certainly won't argue with anyone to share my views. But felt like starting this topic as there is one thing I absolutely despise in fandoms - statements starting from "Everyone thinks/likes..." Well, I'm not everyone in that case. (Just for the record - I'm not speaking about KSite forum, but other fandom areas where the discussions are far from being civil.).

I disliked season 4, but they're people who liked it and apparently thought and still think it was a good direction. Not in my book but it doesn't mean that someone is not allowed to think that way.

So yeah, I think that blaming Cupid for bad episodes (the ones she had minor, background role, or served as Plot Device) has as much sense as blaming Amanda Waller for the pointlessness of the story in flashbacks in season 4 would have (she send Ollie back on the island and gave him this mission). It has as much sense as the hate I now see toward Susan Williams (I'm not even particularly fond of that character) or Dinah Drake - despite introduction of her character doesn't bother me as much as I thought, I still think that simply there should be no situation created that the new Black Canary would be neeeded. But is the character to blame for the fact that the writers simply can't plan ahead and make the universum redcon itself (from no magic/no metas to having all of that, hence a character with a canary cry miraculously appearing on the scene)?

Daryl Dixon also retrieves arrows on The Walking Dead, so Carrie is in very good company.

My head canon is that Ollie and Co. are so wasteful with arrows because Ollie still has Queen money: offshore tax havens, trust fund, Moira life insurance. Otherwise, they should be retrieving arrows like crazy.

Would be funny if Ollie and Diggle were scrubbing recycled arrowheads and shafts all night to save money, while Thea hosts an arrow refletching party after:

"Thea: C'mon Ray, it'll be fun. Pizza, refletching arrows ... and we have door prizes.

Ray: What sort of door prizes? *Rene motioning to say 'No, ohgodno'*

Thea: We have an autographed campaign poster of Oliver. That's pretty neat ... right?

Ray: *cough* prize sucks *cough* Anyway I'm a Legend. Time itself is at stake. I'm busy. Sorry, Thea. Cold pizza, labour, and Ollie's mug on a poster? No dice, sorry."

And as Robin of Sherwood fans know, the day you find your quiver empty is the day you're probably going to face your Greatest Enemy and have to entrust Marion with Albion because you got a big break stateside in a Three Musketeers musical. The lesson here is: don't run out of arrows.

Carrie got a bad rap this ep because viewers thought she'd be in a melodrama heavy subplot, when surprise! she was deep in the action plot. Ollie, Thea and Susan carried the melodrama torch this time.

I think way too much hay is being made about this ep and low ratings -- many TV shows performed poorly this week, even vets like Law and Order SVU. It was just a bad February blah week for ratings everywhere.

Comment

Haven't seen Walking Dead as of yet, but it's good to know that Carrie is not the only case. Saw that Dixon is using the crossbow though (don't remember the character from the comics - must have appeared in some later issues I haven't read).

"Arrow's workshop for maitaining arrows" would be cool. Actually right now I could use Ollie's and Dig's help as half of my arrows needs repairs. Hey, Ray should answer like China White "Anything for a friend."

So far the score Cupid - melodrama is 2:2 (she also had nothing to do with the plot of guys fighting for a girl in 3x17).

Interpreting ratings for me is tricky. I have no idea how it works exactly, all I keep hearing is those ratings from Nielsen box as being the most important.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarice
        Haven't seen Walking Dead as of yet, but it's good to know that Carrie is not the only case. Saw that Dixon is using the crossbow though (don't remember the character from the comics - must have appeared in some later issues I haven't read).

"Arrow's workshop for maitaining arrows" would be cool. Actually right now I could use Ollie's and Dig's help as half of my arrows needs repairs. Hey, Ray should answer like China White "Anything for a friend."
        Torn fletchings or bent shafts?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleDevil
          Torn fletchings or bent shafts?
          Ehhh, various "injuries" starting from missing arrowheads to broken nocks/missing nocks. But I'll be ordering a new set of arrows anyway, since the ones I currently have are way too long for my bow (33"; 30" or 29" will be more suitable for me as my draw length is ~28"). Not to mention that birch turned out to not be the best possible choice. Will choose cedar for shafts in the new arrows. And of course I'm still going to keep green and yellow fletching.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarice
            Ehhh, various "injuries" starting from missing arrowheads to broken nocks/missing nocks. But I'll be ordering a new set of arrows anyway, since the ones I currently have are way too long for my bow (33"; 30" or 29" will be more suitable for me as my draw length is ~28"). Not to mention that birch turned out to not be the best possible choice. Will choose cedar for shafts in the new arrows. And of course I'm still going to keep green and yellow fletching.
            Nocks are cheap, buy them in mass, at least 5 for every arrowshaft, fletching is more costly but I got 2-3 sets of fletching per shaft, fieldpoints are the most expensive aside from the shafts themselves but I usually have 5-10 extra points for every dozen arrows complete with inserts since I use aluminum shafts. Yes, definately spend the extra money for cedar shafts, birch is OK for beginners and kids who constantly loose their arrows but not for high reusability. I cut costs early by learning how to make my arrows myself, it costs more initally because of the tools but you save money in the long run. I even buy uncut vanes which further reduces costs.

It's also a nice rainy day activity or while watching absentminded tv shows... [emoji12]
            Last edited by DoubleDevil; 03-01-2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Very smart one.

Comment

I haven't noticed that before.
                Last edited by mary005; 09-19-2017, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎