No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Mr. & Mrs. Mxyzptlk?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
    Pssh. The alternative is a show whose main source of drama is just about being a superhero and saving the day. What idiot would want to watch that?

... cough.
    Yeah, and it's not like they could make the drama be about her work as an reporter too. It's not like there was an successful drama about the workplace before, so it's not like we know that would actually work! Why take a risk with that if there wasn't any existing successful shows about workplace drama before?
    *coughs*The newsroom Tv show, *coughs* The west wing, *coughs* Madmen, *coughs*.................

It's not like they could pull a Peter Parker move and have her be torn between her superhero duty and her human job or anything like that....

Comment

I figured a Valentines Day ep would double down on melodrama, and with Mxyzptlk as the villain it was an ep that I hadn't planned on taking too seriously anyway. But, yeah, there are definitely a few characters on SG who could benefit from not being in a romance -- the lead included.

James/Guardian should stay well away from anything to do with being or seeking a love interest. That time when he was in civilian publisher mode, backing his editor against Kara's fanciful, not-backed-by-evidence trust in Lena was one of his few character highlights this season. His hovering around Kara's potential feelings for him and his I-wanna-be-a-superhero turn: I couldn't really care less about it. They botched the superhero thing by making it stem partly from his wish to measure up in Kara's eyes in comparison to Mon-El. Not a fan of it.

Winn could benefit from being out of the Kara cheerleaders' club for a spell and have a bona fide relationship that has nothing to do with Kara or the DEO. Tamzin (the actress) may have lost her head as one of Henry VIII's unfortunate wives on The Tudors, but I fear Lyra and Winn will lose their hearts by season's end. Even though I'm rooting for him (this is a guy who chose to walk away from being velcro'd to Kara's heartstrings), Winn's unenviable track record thus far makes me think he'll be back to printing Dude-can't-catch-a-break Club iron-on T-shirts eventually.

I've been partial to seeing Alex's own non-DEO side of her life evolve, and while she has been on the receiving end of some melodramatic excess of late (Could we have expected nothing less on a holiday themed ep?), as others have pointed out she is new to the game. Which means she's, sadly, acting like a clueless teenager on this front. Alex's Valentines dress though -- wow . #hotsister

Mon-El and Kara. Setting aside for now that Kara would be best served evolving as a character in her own right before jumping into yet another ship, I would say that their romance would be more digestible if they'd make more effort in showing either of them -- separately -- getting some personal growth that doesn't involve will-they-won't-they drama. Mon-El caught a break, finally. That predictable dance is the tiresome part of the whole thing ... and it still doesn't do Mon-El much good if his appearances are going to be rooted in their relationship ups and downs going forward. This hurt James in S1 and Mon-El could be next if he's in for the long haul. Guess what, Mon-El, you're now the protagonist's Primary Love Interest. Everything he does will now be seen through that prism. Good luck with that (albatross), you will need it.

They want to make Kara a reporter like Clark? They need to put greater effort on that, because the few moments she actually inhabited that role have been less than impressive. Give her an ethical reporting crisis, something based on her work, let her sink her teeth into that. If James can be involved in that, without looking like he's trying to accrue potential suitor points in doing so, even better.

They want the audience to give a damn about James Olsen? Well, give his character a plot that makes us care about him other than as a potential suitor for Kara. Maybe they're hoping/gambling his Guardian journey will do that, but my impression is that it isn't working. I'm sure they could generate conflict in plenty of ways at CatCo, related to the stories they choose to run or kill. They just did it with the Lena story and this worked well in keeping their professional lives still in the show's orbit. Adding Snapper, who isn't part of the Kara Adoration Society on the show, is a definite asset. Someone needs to be there to do the reality checking. There is also way too much time spent at the DEO -- this too tends to place James on the bench.

The best relationships on this show are the non-heart-related ones. While I might give Alex's more benefit of the doubt based on the "newness" of her situation, the other romantic ones are typical CW textbook angst. I expected it on a holiday themed ep, but this stuff shows up too often even on non-themed eps.

This was largely a fluff episode, with obviously a lot of expected melodrama.

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor

Winn could benefit from being out of the Kara cheerleaders' club for a spell and have a bona fide relationship that has nothing to do with Kara or the DEO. Tamzin (the actress) may have lost her head as one of Henry VIII's unfortunate wives on The Tudors, but I fear Lyra and Winn will lose their hearts by season's end.
        AH! Knew she seemed familiar. Totally didn't recognize her, though.

Comment

All in all I enjoyed it. Mxy is such a throwback to the old comics; I recall seeing Silver Age Superman comics with him, albeit not the young CW leading man type now; and I do recall they had a Mxy ep in Smallville, too.. I don't even know the origins of Mxy in the comics; doesn't matter.

Winn gets annoying to me; his new alien girlfriend...OK, he was less of a pain.

Predictable outcomes to the various plotlines? Yeah, probably. This is CW, not a multi-million dollar HBO series. It's a comic book come to life, I try to just have some fun with it.

HA! didn't even notice James absence until another post brought that up; and Snapper can just go to the PZ for all I care.

Oh, and no doubt about it, Melissa sure is beautiful
          Last edited by Billy Jor-El; 02-23-2017, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jor-El
            and Snapper can just go to the PZ for all I care
            Here's my problem with Snapper (sidenote: don't read SG comics, don't know and don't care if he is an original comic character):

I loved the actor on Cougar Town* he was really enjoyable there. But SG did not allow the character to even become a character so far. It's just a grumpy old man barking at Kara and having little to zero screentime so far.

As I said in another thread: The CatCo storyline has been pretty much dead after Ally McBeal left.

*You should try out this show. After you get over the name of the show (which the producers themselves made fun of in the later seasons) and the first few clumsy episodes it's a really good show about family and friends. And there are six seasons of it which means you can enjoy the characters for a while**.

**I really hate it when you get into a new show, bond with the characters and then it's cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
              AH! Knew she seemed familiar. Totally didn't recognize her, though.
              Tamzim played Catherine Howard in The Tudors, which wasn't such a prominent role compared to other wives of Henry VIII except for Anne of Cleves, who is the one who probably got the least screen time. That is probably why you didn't recognize her.

Going back to Supergirl, I'm glad they are bringing in more Legion of Superheroes characters. first Mon-El and now, maybe Lyra as Dawnstar ?

Comment

I'm glad Winn was able to move on from Siobhan/Silver Banshee.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎