Canuck's Embassy

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Target is own by French stock-holders, something along those lines. They didn't let the Marines stand infront of thier store to the Toys for Tots campaign. I hate that store. Wal-Mart all the way.

Comment

What?! Target wants to swallow the Hudson's Bay Company?! o.O The thing's part of our heritage, there'd be no freakin' CANADA without the Bay's!

You know. I'd be perfectly willing to start a boycott, but there's no Target here in BC, anyway. However, I urge those in the East to do something, BEFORE the monster attacks!

And Kam... You'll want to remove that "Yam" name from the list.

I trust you guys all know that Molson sold out? It "merged" (hah, U.S. companies have only one way of dealing with Canadian companies, and it's not by merging...) with Coors. I heard it on News1130 (radio station) about a month ago. Bye-bye "I AM. CANADIAN."
      Last edited by Inochi no Rizumu; 08-13-2004, 08:23 PM.

Comment

haha..just watched olympic opening ceromony.......go Canada!! I always liked Canada's choice of clothing...go ROOTS!

Other films/TV filmed in Vancouver (at least part of it)
        Dudly do right (or something...the one with Brendon Fraser)
        I'll be home for Xmas (with JTT)
        Isn't XMen filmed in Vancouver too?
        and also X Files

another cutie from Vancouver..or more precisely Richmond BC (where i'm from) Past Smallville guest- Shawn Ashmore

Comment

X1 Was filmed in Toronto, X2 in Vancuvour.

Comment

Exactly. Victoria mostly.

The Butterfly Effect
            Sliders (TV)
            Riddick
            The horrible, never-should-have-been-made, misleading, disgusting abomination known as Catwoman (although I think it's been mentioned already)
            White Chicks (They don't have to be good movies, do they? o.O)
            Tru Calling (or good TV shows, for that matter)
            ...is Elektra out yet?

Yeah, I remember when I found out Shawn Ashmore was from Greater Van... He was Jake in the Animorphs TV show. It's funny, he'll always be Jake to me. The actress who played Cassie was also a Vancouverite, something Nacimiento.

Nice, sexylexy. But guess who I have? Michael J. Fox is from Burnaby.

Comment

There are no Target stores in Canada (yet), that I know of.

I did hear about the Molson-Coors merger. But if they'd like to stay popular with Canadians, they'll keep up their funny and somewhat bashing commercials

I used to have Shawn Ashmore's addresss in Toronto, but when my computer went bezerk two years ago I lost the bookmarked page with the map and address.

The Barenaked Ladies and Mike Myers are from the Toronto area And, um *cough* Avril Lavigne is from Napanee or something. Not sure which province Alanis Morissette is from. There's sell-out Celine Dion from Quebec. Tom Cruise grew up in Ottawa, as did Matthew Perry. Sarah Mclaughlin is from the Maritimes. Keeanu Reeves grew up in Toronto. Neve Campbell is from Ontario. That's all I can think of for now.

Comment

Yam, you're still Canadian in my books!

Three Days Grace is Canadian as is Our Lady Peace and Nickelback.

Comment

Pamela Anderson, Nelly Furtado, Shania Twain, Sum41, Neil Young, Bryan Adams, The Guess Who, Steppenwolf, Alex Trebek, Dan Aykroyd, Leslie Nielsen, Hayden Christensen, Margot Kidder, John Candy, William Shatner, Ryan Gosling, Terry Gilliam, Joshua Jackson, Michael Ironside, and Colin Mochrie.

I got an email a while ago with the Top 10 Myths about Canada and Canadians:

We live in igloos. - We live in houses, and they are very well built houses.

Canadians do not have the same technology as Americans. - Canadians have access to the same technology as Americans and the rest of the civilized world.

There is snow everywhere all year long. - Anyone who has spent a summer in Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal will strongly disagree with this.

We don't get the same movies Americans do. - We get the same movies, on the same day, and our censorship is less severe. Furthermore, the Paramount theater in Montreal is the most attended and most lucrative movie theater in North-America.

Canada does not have a film industry. - We have a thriving film industry, and many of the syndicated US TV shows, not to mention major studio motion pictures are filmed here. Canada is
                  renowned to have some of the best production crews in the world.

Canadians all say "eh" and "aboot". - Maybe some of us do, but Canada is a big country with many different people who speak many different languages with different dialects.

Everyone in Quebec speaks French. - Although a large percentage of the Province's population is Francophone, there is also a large number of Anglophones and Allophones.

Canadians have less guns than Americans. - Canadians have just as many, if not more; we just have less murder. If you want stats and figures, see Michael Moore's excellent documentary, Bowling for Columbine.

Canada's national sport is hockey. - Not true. While hockey is very popular, and considered our national pastime, our national sport is lacrosse. Oh, and we invented baseball and basketball too.

Canadians policemen are all Mounties dressed in red uniforms. - Our cops overall look and function like American cops, and other policemen around the world.

Comment

and also...err..some "one hit wonder" bands...
                    B44 (what were they thinking!!), Default (love their Wasting My Time song), and Soul Decision (who recently had a new record..after a while of disappearance)...oh and also...from like....7 years ago or something....VIP: Voices in Public, who sang "It's Just My Luck"........
                    and who can forget the Moffats!! LOL

Comment

Ok, here's Alberta's flag:

Also, here's more info on the best province in Canada :

Our mammal is the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep.
                      Our flower is the Wild Rose.
                      Our bird is the Great Horned Owl.

Comment

Ontario

Provincial flower: White trillium, Trillium grandiflorum
                        Provincial bird: Common Loon, Gavia immer
                        Provincial tree: Eastern white pine, Pinus strobus
                        Provincial mineral: Amethyst
                        Provincial motto: Ut incepit fidelis sic permanet (Loyal she began, loyal she remains)
                        Provincial symbol: Trillium flower

Comment

Oh ya! I forgot our motto! It's: Fortis et Liber, which means "strong and free".

Comment

Why, thank you, Kam! Too bad Molson can't say the same thing. I don't drink, but it's still a shame, eh?

Canada's motto is "ab mari usque ad mare". From sea to sea.

There is snow everywhere all year long. - Anyone who has spent a summer in Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal will strongly disagree with this.
                            Anyone who has spent a winter in Vancouver (excluding, at BEST, one week in January) will disagree, too.

BC motto: "splendor sine occasu". Splendour without diminishment. [side note: "occasu" also means "west", so it's kind of ironic in that way... "splendour without the west" ]
                            BC flower: Pacific dogwood.
                            BC bird: Steller's Jay
                            BC tree: Western Red Cedar
                            BC mineral: Jade

I love Newfoundland & Labrador's and PEI's motto.
                            Last edited by Inochi no Rizumu; 08-14-2004, 11:44 PM.

Comment

*is still madly in love with this thread*

Now I wish I had something useful to say
                              Maybe I could switch to asking questions about Canada

Errr has anyone ever been to London, Ontario?

And did you know there's a town in Manitoba that will make LOTR fans go nuts? (it seems they have a town called Gimli )

Comment

I've driven through London to get to Stratford Hehe, it sounds like I'm talking about England. But we also have Paris, Ontario, and Athens, Baltimore, Brussels, Dublin, Kingston, Melbourne, Princeton, Salem, Scotland, Toledo, Tara, Verona, Wyoming and Zurich, out of popular city names from around the world. There's also a place called Welcome, Ontario

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎