Canuck's Embassy

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds like it could be a 10p piece then, or perhaps an old 5p piece. They used to be like 3x bigger than they are now. But got changed when I was a little kid.

Comment

You're right. I remeber it siad Pence on it. And it looked new so it's probably a 10. Thanks Huffy! Now the question is why was a Bristish coin in a High School gym in Georiga? Hmmm.

Again thanks for helping out! Forien currency is interesting to me so I was excited that I found. Now I have to find it again

Comment

You're welcome. Perhaps someone had had a visit to Merry Ol' England recently?

Comment

Most likely and then forgot they had it on them when buying a coke, lucky for me

Comment

Originally posted by SullivanLane
            Sometimes I wish I lived in Canada.

Can I hang out in this thread?

Of course!

So... any questions?

Comment

Did you know: The RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police, aka "Mounties") are Canada's equivalent to the FBI?
              Yep, they're both. If the city doesn't have its own police force (for example Vancouver does, but Burnaby doesn't) then the RCMP is the police as well as the federal investigative body. (I just realized how redundant that sounds... Ignore, please.)

Is it true that in the winter you can plug your car in outside to stop it from freezing?
              HUH?! *confused* You know what, this is probably an Eastern Canada thing...
              Last edited by Inochi no Rizumu; 08-12-2004, 02:14 AM.

Comment

What is Canada's offical bird and mammal?

Comment

Originally posted by HuffyTheCampfireSlayer

Hee. Anyway, that's enough Britishness in the Canada thread.

*ducks out*
                  Enough Britishness? I don't think so Victor Garber's hometown ehm I mean city is London, Ontario: check out the Forest City's official site.

I love to find references to Canada's British past. Btw, I spend hours online to learn all about Canadian spelling

Originally posted by HuffyTheCampfireSlayer
                  You're welcome. Perhaps someone had had a visit to Merry Ol' England recently?
                  Not recently, in 1997 my parents and I visited London for 4 days.
                  I still have 3 pounds (1 Scottish, two English) and 60 p left.
                  Will save them for the next time we go to the UK

Originally posted by Sharkie
                  What is Canada's offical bird and mammal?
                  The beaver =official mammal.
                  Official bird = a loon.. but I believe it's on the back of a 20 dollar bill

Comment

Hehe, you're correct, DG

One misconception about Canadians is that ALL Canadians pronounce 'about' as 'aboot' and stuff like that. To me, that's like some of the somewhat rude misconceptions about Americans - sure, maybe a few people say that, but not everyone. At least, not enough people that I haven't heard someone say it seriously (it is quite commenly used in the many Canadian comedy shows on TV, but usually to illustrate that they're from some back woodlot in the wilderness. And I have heard Scottish people say aboot.) I know that I, and most people I know, pronounce "route" as "root", compared to "r-out". But I don't see the big deal in that, as I've never heard the word "routine" pronounced "r-out-ine". Hehe, if you think about it though, it sounds kind of southern

Comment

Especially South Park the Movie makes fun of the 'aboot' thing.

Canadian ambassador: Release the prisoners! Or we'll give you something to cry aboot!

(rest of UN is laughing like maniacs)

So ok it was funny.. but I don't believe that Canadians actually say 'aboot'. A Canadian buddy of mine once told me his pronounciation was more inbetween 'boat' and 'cow' if you know what I mean.

I've mentioned this before: if you want to get a nice taste of Canadian spelling: here it is... the Harbour Centre in Vancouver

Comment

Hee. Yes, us Candian and British like our U's, re's rather than er's and our s's rather than z's.

Comment

Yes but Canadians do use z in their verbs - oh they don't pronounce the last letter of the alphabet like Americans (so not 'zee') - they say 'zed' like the British do.

Cool, eh? (yes I do that a lot I know )

Comment

I have a (maybe stupid) question for Canadians: Are you all taught English and French in primary/secondary school? Or is that only in the eastern part of Canada?

Comment

Sorry to interrupt... in Belgium we have to learn French in the 5th year of primary school which does not end until we leave secondary (high) school.

I think (because French is the second official language in Belgium and in Canada) that the English speaking majority of the nation gets French in primary/secondary school, whereas the Québeçois have to learn English.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by i luv tom welling
                                know that I, and most people I know, pronounce "route" as "root", compared to "r-out". But I don't see the big deal in that, as I've never heard the word "routine" pronounced "r-out-ine". Hehe, if you think about it though, it sounds kind of southern
                                Very very southern. The northerns say "Ra-out." Southerners say "Root." Even if someone has lived here for a long time and don't have a distinct accent, you can tell if they are from the south or north by how they pronounce some words.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎