0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Failed this city

2 11.76%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDevil View Post
    I've been checking in on the reviews on occasion and what I've found is somewhat disturbing to me. Episodes are to be rated 1-10, 1 being an absolute flop where anything changed what so ever would've improved the episode and 10 being perfect with absolutely zero faults. Both are extreme on the scale and therefore be used very sparingly. 1's have been dealt out sparingly, even in the horrible season 4, yet I'm seeing 10's getting handed out like candy this season even if the reviewer has some sort of critique of the episode. I would seriously suggest people rethink what it is they are doing, is it an honest review or are they trying to promote the show? Again, 1-2 and 9-10 should only get handed out to the most extreme episodes, not week after week as if that's the standard average.
    My reviews only come in two varieties 10 if I liked the episode or 1 if I didn't like the episode.

There is no middle ground with me. If I thought the episode was just okay I wouldn't even vote which is what I did all of Season 5 except for the one time I accidentally voted; I meant to be on another show's page but my phone accidentally clicked on the Arrow one instead because it didn't load the page the whole way before I clicked. It accidentally voted when I didn't want to vote.

Okay, so we're now 3/4 through what was promoted as a four night crossover. However, so far, it seems like the crossover plotline was mostly just the focus of the Flash episode. The Supergirl episode only devoted the last 50-ish seconds to the crossover (a scene that was repeated in the Flash, meaning it wasn't needed in the Supergirl episode). And now the Arrow episode spent most of its time in a fantasy world, with really only the ending (again) furthering the crossover plot, with the revelation that the Dominators have built a weapon. So, they've pretty much wasted two out of three episodes. Now there's only one left.

Okay, this was their 100 episode and they wanted to do something to celebrate. However, shouldn't they then have tried to re-schedule the crossover to next week (or aired an episode last week)?

I'm guessing the Dominator weapon is a gene bomb (as in the comics), intended to [SPOILER]wipe out Earth's metahuman population.[/SPOILER] However, [SPOILER]instead (perhaps due to Firestorm's intervention or something) it causes the creation of brand-new metas, all over the planet (meaning they're no longer, largely, limited to Central City).[/SPOILER]
    Last edited by jon-el87; 12-01-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDBentz View Post
    DoubleDevil: Okay, I see what you mean and can understand where you're coming from.

The truth is I tried doing the critique thing but found I struggled because I actually do care about these characters. The difference between me and an Olicity fan? I can separate the actors/actresses from their characters.

Comics shows get me invested in ways other movies/TV shows don't. Not sure why. . .
    JD, I'm not putting you down for caring about the show or the characters, I'm attacking your use of the “perfect 10“ rating. Halberdier17 only rates in 1's and 10's, that's fine because s/he's rating like/dislike and that's it. I'd prefer if these people would be offered a simple thumbs up or down option instead of dilutting the 1-10 scale but that's something Ksite needs to consider. Even with your explaination, can you seriously say there was nothing (in the context of what you were critquing) that couldn't have improved the episode? Are we as a society so inclusive that even mediocre shows need to receive above average ratings so people don't perceive us as hating them and therefore by default leave us with nothing but perfect 10's for anything above average? Fanboy all you like but be honest and scale your ratings accordingly. The scale is 1-10 not 6-10. Understand what a 10 means and understand what a 5 means (newsflash 5 doesn't mean the episode was terrible, just it wasn't anything special, that's what 1's are for). And please by all means don't grade on a curve. Just because it's a CW show doesn't grant an automatic 1-2 point increase vs a Netflix or HBO show.
    Last edited by DoubleDevil; 12-01-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Couldn't agree more with the ratings.. My favorite show was still is Breaking Bad.. I think I rated maybe 4 episodes in the entire series a 10.. To me 10 is no need for any improvement.. which is RARE.. JMO

I think its person has their own grading system and that's how it should be. Personally speaking, I grade each show's episode based on that show's potential. For example, The Undertaking was (IMO) as close to a 10/10 as any Arrow episode we've seen. So that's the benchmark and I judge each episode's quality based on that.

I think for this episode, the newbies should've just stayed out of it. Supergirl and Flash handled that female android (i think that's what she was?) pretty easily and Cisco and Felicity got all of the tech work done. Though I did get a kick out of Rory fanboying over Flash and Supergirl, lol

But yeah, Rory, Wild Dog and Curtis were there and did nothing of any relevance. They were better served going off screen adventure hunting down Vigilante or something.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSecretVampire View Post
    I think for this episode, the newbies should've just stayed out of it. Supergirl and Flash handled that female android (i think that's what she was?) pretty easily and Cisco and Felicity got all of the tech work done. Though I did get a kick out of Rory fanboying over Flash and Supergirl, lol

But yeah, Rory, Wild Dog and Curtis were there and did nothing of any relevance. They were better served going off screen adventure hunting down Vigilante or something.
    No, that was a cyborg. Looked a bit like Cyborgirl (a Wonder Woman villain), but didn't have the same name as her. I agree they should've kept the newbies away.

Quote Originally Posted by jon-el87 View Post
    Okay, so we're now 3/4 through what was promoted as a four night crossover. However, so far, it seems like the crossover plotline was mostly just the focus of the Flash episode. The Supergirl episode only devoted the last 50-ish seconds to the crossover (a scene that was repeated in the Flash, meaning it wasn't needed in the Supergirl episode). And now the Arrow episode spent most of its time in a fantasy world, with really only the ending (again) furthering the crossover plot, with the revelation that the Dominators have built a weapon. So, they've pretty much wasted two out of three episodes. Now there's only one left.

Okay, this was their 100 episode and they wanted to do something to celebrate. However, shouldn't they then have tried to re-schedule the crossover to next week (or aired an episode last week)?

I'm guessing the Dominator weapon is a gene bomb (as in the comics), intended to [SPOILER]wipe out Earth's metahuman population.[/SPOILER] However, [SPOILER]instead (perhaps due to Firestorm's intervention or something) it causes the creation of brand-new metas, all over the planet (meaning they're no longer, largely, limited to Central City).[/SPOILER]

I think they should've done it the way the JL animated series did it with their 3 part, Invasion arc. Obviously, they have more leeway doing animated shows vs live action shows, but I thought would mold this crossover event similar to that Invasion arc.

Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    I think its person has their own grading system and that's how it should be. Personally speaking, I grade each show's episode based on that show's potential. For example, The Undertaking was (IMO) as close to a 10/10 as any Arrow episode we've seen. So that's the benchmark and I judge each episode's quality based on that.
    costas22 everyone can decide what they think is important and deserves rating, I'm even fine if somebody adds 1-2 points for personal bias but the 1-10 scale isn't open to personal interpretation. Personal interpretation indicates a lack of understanding the scale.

Posting Pro
    As much as I'd love to keep doing this, I come to this site, and even Reddit now, for the purpose of discussing a show I love. I don't come to get into arguments. But, hey, you'll be in good company. I put Dagenspear and Bkwurm1 on my ignore list, too, so I wouldn't get stressed out from the constant back and forth with them.

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDevil View Post
    JD, I'm not putting you down for caring about the show or the characters, I'm attacking your use of the “perfect 10“ rating. Halberdier17 only rates in 1's and 10's, that's fine because s/he's rating like/dislike and that's it. I'd prefer if these people would be offered a simple thumbs up or down option instead of dilutting the 1-10 scale but that's something Ksite needs to consider. Even with your explaination, can you seriously say there was nothing (in the context of what you were critquing) that couldn't have improved the episode? Are we as a society so inclusive that even mediocre shows need to receive above average ratings so people don't perceive us as hating them and therefore by default leave us with nothing but perfect 10's for anything above average? Fanboy all you like but be honest and scale your ratings accordingly. The scale is 1-10 not 6-10. Understand what a 10 means and understand what a 5 means (newsflash 5 doesn't mean the episode was terrible, just it wasn't anything special, that's what 1's are for). And please by all means don't grade on a curve. Just because it's a CW show doesn't grant an automatic 1-2 point increase vs a Netflix or HBO show.
    Why do you even have to attack him in the first place? I will say atleast your honest about compared to some other people I've dealt with who try and play "the victim" card. So I'll give you that.

Again, why attack him? I don't get it other then your so focused on your views you've got to go such great lengths to prove a point. To prove something about some rating system that you think should be the law.

Because I come here to discuss the show and well guys like you don't want to do that. There is disagreeing about things on the show then there is what I've guys like you do of just non stop hatred of Arrow, that I've seen on here and also for sure show up on Reddit.

I'd say this episode is probably the first Arrow season 5 episode you've watched.

Your nearly a click away from ending up on my block list. Why? Because your like Dagenspear for reasons I've already explained. Also I might have not even seriously considered sticking you on there but going after JDBentz? That made up my mind and well I do get tiered of seeing constant negativity after awhile.

I frankly don't have time to deal with every person like you I encounter on both the Olicty and certain comic book/ normal fans.
    Last edited by Haggard01; 12-01-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Unless Felicity and Roy's presence was supposed to signify the 'death' of Olicity and the possibility of Roy returning anytime soon, there was no point in them appearing.
    Roy inclusion in this scene made sense to me, he had to be represented somehow in a 100th episode celebration, he was one of the big characters of the series. He is lost to Oliver just like the others, even if he isnt dead

Felicity's didnt make sense, unless, like you said it was to symbolise Olicity's death. Oh how I would love that to be the intention.

I put Dagenspear and Bkwurm1 on my ignore list, too, so I wouldn't get stressed out from the constant back and forth with them.
    Didnt know there was an ignore function on this site, interesting.....
    Last edited by Aquahyde; 12-01-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquahyde View Post
    Roy inclusion in this scene made sense, he had to be represented somehow in a 100th episode Celebration, he was one of the big characters of the series. He is lost to OLiver just like the others, even if he isnt dead

Felicity's didnt make sense, unless, like you said it was to symbolise Olicity's death. Oh how I would love that to be the intention.

Didnt know there was an ignore function on this site, interesting.....

I saw more passion and love in that scene alone between Oliver and Laurel, than at any point between Oliver and Felicity......it felt natural watching Oliver and Laurel love each other. It was all fake when Olicity was running this show.

I enjoyed every single minute of it. Great tribute to the show and actually I felt really moved watching emotional moments Oliver (and Thea also) had with their parents. Liked also Ollies scenes with Laurel, and finally he admitted that she deserved better than him. Loved how they put together references to previous episodes - wow, did anyone tried to list that? (even Original Recurve Bow was back!).

The final message coming from people Oliver lost - that was another really moving scene. And "I'm not doing it for a reward".

Liked also plot B with Team B, especially that Wild Dog had his own mini story - rather simple and predictable that he will make 180 turn by the end of episode regarding his feelings toward Kara and Barry, but his observations and fear of unknown express what "normal" not meta-human, non-friendly-aliens must have felt. It was also fun to see Cisco cooperating with Felicity and Curtis, trying to crack that alien technology. Overall everything in this episode fitted seamlessy - Oliver and the rest having those recurring vibes that something is not right, references, bad guys showing up but not interfering with the nostalgia approach. Also that reference about Tommy and Chicago Meds.

What's more - another of my headcanons crossed out of the list. Quentin saying that he is proud to have Oliver as his son in law. Real Quentin wouldn't belive in that. I think I need to see this scene dozen times more or so.

Also, deeply moving scene between Thea and Oliver - their sibling relationship is one of my favorite of all times in "Arrow" and that episode showed why.
    Last edited by Amarice; 12-01-2016 at 04:55 PM.

The alternate reality itself was a bit of a weird place. Did the Dominators want to give the 5 prisoners and idyllic place that they wouldn't want to escape from? Because I don't see how that would have been the case with Diggle. He didn't seem happier in this world than he is in real life. On the contrary. At the same time, if the AU was meant to trap them there, why include the Smoak Tech building that stuck out like a sore thumb (of the irony! ). That said, Oliver and Thea's lives certainly looked as perfect as possible. Their parents were alive, they still lived in the Luthor...I mean Queen mansion and Oliver would be getting married to Laurel. And I loved the fact that they focused on Thea's reaction to finding out it's a dream world and her reluctance to leave it. Thea has gone through a lot but she hasn't learned to deal with loss like Oliver has and it was understandable and heartbreaking to see her refuse to lose her parents again.
    I would go with an explanation - in order to download the data from their minds faster they wanted to make them relaxed. In stressful situation (cutting the object to pieces etc.) it might not work. Then again Dig's life wasn't better than the one in actual timeline. So maybe they didn't want anything in particular from him.

Like I said, seeing Katie Cassidy back was nice, but I wasn't a big fan of her AU storyline. There should have been more to her in that life than just being Oliver's bride to be. Not to mention that the sight of her getting left behind by Oliver is something they already did in Canary Cry and was a sour note to end her appearance on. At the same time, the scene were Oliver bids goodbye to his loved ones right before escaping the AU also felt off. If it was only supposed to be people that have died, what were Felicity and Roy doing there? If it was only supposed to be people no longer in his life, what was Felicity doing there? Unless this was some kind of message that the Felicity we saw in earlier seasons no longer exists.
    Agree that KC looked terrific but her part was not impressive. She was only a bride of Oliver, a shadow of who E-1 Laurel really was. Also, I think it's the last time we have seen E-1 Laurel. So it was saying also goodbye to that version of character.

Well, Roy left, perhaps to never return. And as for Felicity - I hope that it means that Olicity nonsense is gone from the show, at least till the end of season 5.

I agree that part on the alien ship felt detached.

And hey, I'm the only one who is a fan of Wild Dog's abs?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast