Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "The Executioner?"

What did you think?

I gave it a 9.

For me, this was one of the best episodes in a LONG time—mainly because it was light on the Gordon/Lee melodrama. Their last scene tonight didn't even bother me, and it was nice to see Thompkins actually do her job.

I was glad to see Barnes' arc come to an end. He got what he deserved, ultimately. I felt so bad for Gordon. Having to shoot a collegue you respect. That had to be hard.

I really liked Bruce, Selina, and Ivy as a trio in this episode. I thought the new actress did a good job of mimicking the way Clare Foley used to deliver her lines. It was also nice to see Ivy honing her skills. Selina's reaction to Bruce saying Ivy looked nice was hilarious. I wouldn't mind seeing the 3 of them together more often.

As for Nygmobblepot, when Ed pointed the finger at Butch, I just laughed. For Penguin's sake, I hope Nygma never finds out about his hand in Isabella's death. It was sweet how Penguin put Ed in the painting, though. It was also nice to see them confirm that Isabella did actually die, too. I still hope they get together

Is anyone else wondering who that man in black was, the one leading the guys in the masks?

Anyway, it really hit the mark for me. I hope next week is just as good. What did everybody else think?
    10 - Loved it!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Hated it!
    0%

I assumed the man in black is a Court of Owls member or a hired gun working for that organization.

And yeah, we need more scenes with Bruce, Selina and Ivy......all three work really well with each other.

Comment

A very good episode indeed. The Barnes arc was at the forefront and its climax didn't disappoint. My only gripe was that he wasn't killed off. As much as I like Barnes, I think this was the end of the road for him. I don't want to see him a full time villain from now on. But given that Chiklis is a regular, Gotham did what it usually does: Ship the character off to Arkham. And then they will find some ridiculous excuse as to why Arkham let him go. Just like with Barbara, Penguin and Ed, all of whom returned to society without anyone questioning why. The thing I loved most about this is that they FINALLY addressed Jim killing Galavan and how remorseful he was about it.

Anyway, the secondary arcs were also entertaining. The Bruce/Selina/Ivy trio was fun and I suspect their story will lead to the Court of Owls' return. The Nygma/Penguin stuff was interesting and I'm glad they mentioned Butch because I had completely forgotten about him and Tabitha. Again, why have such a big cast of regulars if you're going to use them sporadically.

Even Lee's scenes were tolerable this week, lol. Can't wait for the last 2 episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
        My only gripe was that he wasn't killed off. As much as I like Barnes, I think this was the end of the road for him. I don't want to see him a full time villain from now on.
        I was surprised he survived too. He's had so many brushes with death now that it's almost ridiculous for him to be alive. I'd rather he stayed in Arkham for a long time. I just don't feel that there's that much story left.

the secondary arcs were also entertaining. The Bruce/Selina/Ivy trio was fun and I suspect their story will lead to the Court of Owls' return.
        Yeah, the trailer looked interesting. The stuff with Bruce/Selina/Ivy was refreshing. Sometimes, the show can be kind of grim. A little more humor/fun wouldn't be a bad thing.

Even Lee's scenes were tolerable this week, lol.
        Maybe it was a fluke. Tune in next week when she's on my last nerve again... Speaking of, I read yesterday that Baccarin has booked a pilot for NBC. If it's picked up, she'll go to recurring status on Gotham. Not sure how it will help the story since it feels like she's recurring already, but...

I'm hoping there's a good cliffhanger around the corner with the last two episodes.

Comment

This episode was the best of the season so far. I loved it, especially the Bruce/Selina/Ivy plot. It was hilarious and added a light note while tying into a plot line for the season (assuming the guy in black was with the Court of Owls). The new Ivy actress really nailed the delivery of her lines in a manner like the old Ivy so it felt like she was the same person. honestly when shows recast and new actors make characters feel completely changed it bothers me, but this felt seamless. The chemistry between David, Camren, and Maggie was great. Also, all the looks between Bruce and Selina were amazing, Camren Bicondova nailed the facial expressions and reactions this episode as did David. Selina claiming Bruce isn't her boyfriend

I really liked Jim this episode too. The last few episodes he's been kind of dragging for me and falling flat, but this episode I found myself invested in him and what happens to him again. I did keep thinking though as Barnes shot at him, "How has this guy not learned to run in a zig-zag pattern yet? He's been shot at so many times and yet he always runs straight."

I also liked that Bullock and Lee paired up to help and believe in Jim. Bullock is like the biggest Lee and Jim supporter. When Jim escaped prison last year, Bullock was the one who wanted Jim to run off to Lee and have a life, he's their biggest shipper. Speaking of Jim and Lee... You can see the sprinkles and hints the writers are throwing in. It's all over the place the last few episodes. I'd be shocked if they don't pair them back up soon. Probably the first time I've been interested in Lee in a while too.

I may be the only person who wishes they hadn't killed Isabella off so fast, it felt like a waste to me, but I kind of get (I think) what they're doing. I think they're going to develop this huge feud between Oswald and Ed, a love/hate relationship that will go down as two criminal masterminds at was with each other and reigning havoc on Gotham. Also, on the Isabella death, why didn't Lee comment on how similar Isabella looked to Kristen? She was Kristen's friend and works at the GCPD, so presumably she saw the body and probably was the medical examiner since it's, you know, her job....

This episode was so well done. It was written and paced well, I was glad to hear Butch's name mentioned again. I was wondering if they'd mention him sometime soon. And I have to say, I think this was the first time I actually found myself interested in Barnes' storyline. Normally, I don't care for his character, I get bored, but he was great this episode. I really believed the snap, Michael pulled it off. It wasn't too over the top and felt believable.

Great episode.
          Last edited by Genny; 11-15-2016, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries83
            Maybe it was a fluke. Tune in next week when she's on my last nerve again... Speaking of, I read yesterday that Baccarin has booked a pilot for NBC. If it's picked up, she'll go to recurring status on Gotham. Not sure how it will help the story since it feels like she's recurring already, but...
            I thought she was recurring.....

Actually does anyone know how many episodes the characters/actors are contracted to appear in each season? I always wish Camren and David were in the show more, although it feels like David appears more than Camren. I don't know if they're more limited because of their age... I suspect it plays into it since they're minors and can only be on set so many hours (one of the benefits of aging Ivy up). But I am curious how many episodes everyone appears in each season. Sean was missing this week, Butch has been missing the last 4, Tabitha missed this one, as did Babs. Do only Jim, Bullock, Osawald, and Nygma appear in every episode?
            Last edited by Genny; 11-15-2016, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Genny
              I may be the only person who wishes they hadn't killed Isabella off so fast, it felt like a waste to me, but I kind of get (I think) what they're doing. I think they're going to develop this huge feud between Oswald and Ed, a love/hate relationship that will go down as two criminal masterminds at was with each other and reigning havoc on Gotham. Also, on the Isabella death, why didn't Lee comment on how similar Isabella looked to Kristen? She was Kristen's friend and works at the GCPD, so presumably she saw the body and probably was the medical examiner since it's, you know, her job....
              You weren't the only one. I honestly thought that she was a relative of the late Kristin Kringle who were out for revenge... and I was looking forward to seeing that play out. The way they used this character felt cheap and I think her story was over way too soon.

That aside, I pretty much agree with everyone here, this was a fairly decent Gotham epidose. Barne's story played itself out to it's logical conclusion, nothing more can be said there.

Comment

The new Ivy actress really nailed the delivery of her lines in a manner like the old Ivy so it felt like she was the same person. honestly when shows recast and new actors make characters feel completely changed it bothers me, but this felt seamless.
                I agree. It was uncanny how she reminded me of Clare Foley at times.

I thought she was recurring.....
                I think she's been a Series Regular since the start of Season 2. I was just saying that—if she left to do another project—you wouldn't even notice because it feels like she's already at recurring status since her role has diminished this season.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎