Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Abominations" Countdown/LIVE Discussion Thread!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The writing was 'abominable'.
    The plot was 'abominable'.
    The dialogue was 'abominable'
    The acting was 'abominable', (does Mick have to grunt every word out ? and Stein seems to have trouble acting his way out of a proverbial paper bag here, his performance in particular was cringeworthy in the extreme, I felt embarrassed watching/listening to him.)

From the highs of last week's ep this week's dredged the bottom of the barrel and stayed there for lengthy periods. 1/10

Comment

The show seems to suffer from identity crisis. If they want to tackle the slavery issue of that time period, then something silly as zombies has no place in the same episode, IMO. It was weird going from Jax's shocking realizations to Stein's comedic overreactions. Obviously Berlanti loves to address social issues in his shows and while I'm not a huge fan of this, I don't expect it to end anytime soon. But they should be more careful about the tone they set for these episodes.

Another issue that LoT can't seem to settle on is what is the exact purpose of the Legends. Are they supposed to fix time aberrations and restore the timeline? Or are they supposed to prevent bad deeds from happening thoughout the course of history? Because the phrase "don't mess with the timeline" keeps coming up, yet we've seen Jax, Stein and the rest altering history because they want to do something heroic. Jax warned his father about dying, Stein and Nate forced Einstein to acknowledge his wife's supposed contributions, Nate killed the Shogun last week and here Jax prevented those slaves from being tortured and possibly murdered (as it probably would have happened if he he hadn't intervened). I am not knocking the Legends for doing this. However, if they believe that being a Time Master also means changing history and making it better, then by all means Sara should go and rescue her sister asap and Ray should go and rescue his fiance. The show's double standards are getting tiresome. To me anyway.

Anyway, my personal highlight of this episode was the last scene between Mick and Ray. Mick giving him Snart's gun was a nice touch and it emphasized how far this odd couple friendship has come. It's probably the most fun aspect of the show right now.

4/10. Would have been lower if it wasn't for that last scene. Nice to see the Reverse Flash is returning next week because the show misses his presence.

Comment

I managed to catch this one. The timing just worked out this week.

Yeah, I'm still hazy on what exactly their mission is re: time and history. Preventing temporal anomalies and trying to fix those that do happen? Righting wrongs in the timeline, regardless of its temporal impact? I think for LoT, it's all of this and none of this, because they threw out the rulebook awhile ago. They didn't like it when the Time Masters played God with what constitutes timeline offences, but it seems they are in the same boat now and are making judgment calls on the fly. Somehow I don't expect to see real answers to this dilemma anytime soon (if at all) on LoT.

If they just want to be do-gooders, they should just run with it and stop pretending that temporal blowback matters to them. If they do give a damn about the ripple effects of their actions (and those of others), then they need to be clear about this too. Right now it looks like the show wants it both ways, but without paying the price for it.

The Jax and slavery subplot was clumsily handled. They probably wanted to give Jax's character more on the development front -which he does need, I get it- but the execution wasn't handled well here at all. And to set it during what I figure is their 'goofy Halloween week ep.' with loads of zombies took away from whatever "serious" messaging they intended. Might have been better to just keep this ep a mindless, rollercoaster fun ep by itself, without the messaging and given Jax his character growth moments in another ep.

Mick stole the show in his scenes, including giving Ray some means to contribute post-suit (a shocker to me that he lost the suit, as I don't follow LoT that closely in S2). It's still on my 'I'll get around to it whenever' stack of TV series.

Comment

Remember last episode, when they killed a shogun (and most of his men), just so some girl wouldn't have to marry him? Well, this week they can't save some slaves, barely two years before the end of slavery. Surely, the former would have the bigger effect on the timeline. Here, all they'd do is shorten the suffering for a few.

The subject of slavery (along with other topics, like the treatment of the natives) are parts of American history, that needs to be talk about. However, you shouldn't throw a goofy zombie story in the mix, when trying to talk about a serious subject.

Comment

I am strangely most excited to see Ray nibbling on vegetables when he's nervous. Though various scenes were lame in different ways, I like the direction that the show is going: that they give characters development, and their own plots, and that the plots mostly make sense.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎