0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Yuck
    0%

Some early impressions:

-The Diggle prison break. It was a hare-brained scheme from the start, essentially a subplot to get Diggle from self-loathing in prison to a return to Team Arrow aka from point A to B. I can see why Lyla didn't want him to meekly accept his fate for a crime he's innocent of, even though in his mind he "deserved" to be in prison as punishment for killing Andy. Felicity actually made sense in being against the scheme. This was a case where Ollie took action based on his heart (loyalty to Diggle), and not based on logic (he would turn Diggle into a fugitive by doing so).

And it was just Oliver and Lyla in this mission, and going as far as stealing from Palmer Tech to get tech to help in his scheme. I don't know if I'd go so far as saying Lyla seemed OOC thinking this was a good idea -- Diggle will be a fugitive whether or not he is Spartan to do his "penance" (this is how Oliver pitched to him why he should escape prison) and he could still be torn away from his family if the Army finds him. The op just seemed uncharacteristically on-the-fly for someone who runs ARGUS. Ollie in lone wolf mode, listening to no one on his team (another S1 behavioural shout-out).

Sensibly, Oliver delegates mayoral duties to Quentin while he plans his (illegal) operation to bust out Diggle. I'm guessing trust will be an issue here too, as Quentin has to prove that he won't fall off the wagon. Quentin and the D.A. get caught up in a Tobias raid that no one expected. Tobias seems to be one step ahead and the cops are caught off-guard.

-The team. They are still rough around the edges and certainly not ready to take on a highly-organized Tobias who isn't afraid to make them bleed. They even tried to prevent Oliver from going on the risky prison break, which clearly was not going to work -- he coldly and soundly handed their butts to them. (Felicity wrongly assumed the all-for-one fuzzies vibe would warm Ollie's heart and make him change his mind. Nope.)

When they do tangle with Tobias' crew, they are not up to the task and, with Curtis injured, Wild Dog does the noble self-sacrifice thing to buy Artemis time to evacuate him. He puts up a fight but he is no match for Tobias and Felicity is placed in another no-win situation: leave Wild Dog and evacuate a wounded team, or send them back to save him against overwhelming odds ... and wait for the dead to return? She chooses to evacuate them -- and Wild Dog is a prisoner of Tobias, who promises that there will be little left of him for GA to find.

-Ragman, Felicity and Havenrock: Rory naturally is uncomfortable with serving with someone who is connected to all the deaths in Havenrock, a constant reminder of them. He initially quits the team! Compared to what just happened on The Flash, where Cisco is competing with Wells on naming meta freaks just one ep after he was holding a grudge against Barry over the Dante issue, we get to see both Felicity and Rory still bearing the weight of Havenrock's fallout. This was largely realistic and believable to me.

Knowing that the rookie team needs all hands on deck against Tobias, Felicity tries to get Rory back on the team but of course he feels he's not ready to jump in yet -- but he does help by the end. And it's Rory who tells her that they shouldn't let guilt overshadow things in order to move forward, and that they should each make sure they don't fall into that abyss of doubt and regret. Kudos to Rory, he truly stepped up here.

I'm thinking Ollie will as usual blame himself for Wild Dog's situation -- and I can't say he's entirely blameless this time. It's one thing to delegate supervising duties to Felicity while he's away, and quite another to hope/assume that the team will hold their own out there without him.

And it will all boil down to the trust theme: Oliver has it with Diggle, and he went above and beyond to demonstrate it. He doesn't with the new team, and the question will be if he did enough, knowing that they aren't quite ready to be out there by themselves without GA running point in the field. And now one of their own is paying the price.

-I liked the Bratva flashbacks as he completes a test to prove his worthiness. Let's just say he had to go all grim and gritty to get the job done, and trust was a theme here again.

-Funny parts: Quentin noticing that the team suddenly got bigger again, Curtis' remarks on Ragman probably needing to do laundry, Wild Dog calling Felicity 'Blondie' repeatedly, which she does not like, Anatoly esp when he doused Oliver with liquor and Ollie not knowing it was part of the ruse he needed to get himself arrested to do Bratva work.

I felt they handled the penance theme better with Felicity and Ragman, than they did with Diggle. I guess we'll just have to see how being Spartan again will be his way to cope with his Andy baggage.

Comment

For those who don't want to watch the video:

Oliver stands up to Felicity somewhat.

Team gets their butts handed to them, but they have good reason for going out into the field.

Any iteration of Team Arrow that runs on votes seems to get screwed over by their casting of votes.

Ragman actually takes some time to think things over.

Flashbacks continue to be TOO on the nose. Seriously, WTF?

No blowback on Felicity so far. We'll see next week.

Still not happy about the who 'Male Laurel' thing, and Chase's vigilante storyline is rushing forward. I wonder if there's some delayed issues w/Flashpoint or something...

Oh, look, just as I predicted: Wild Dog got captured.

8/10. It was a good episode, the team had realistic issues (when you consider one of them has magic rags they wear) and didn't completely come out unscathed. Oliver got his balls back somewhat. But it wasn't spectacular.

Comment

Now that was a good episode. Far from perfect, but it worked exactly where it should have.

- For me the biggest positive in Penance was Oliver. It's not just the fact that he was badass. He also FINALLY stood his ground as leader and did what he thought was right. Not what Felicity thought was right. Hell, even the final scene worked for me, because Felicity seemed to understand where he was coming from and seemed glad that Oliver broke John out. Can we have more of this dynamic, please? Oliver, not Felicity, is the main character, treat him as such.

- It was also great to have Oliver/Diggle scenes again. Their friendship has been the longest standing theme on the show and Oliver breaking him out of prison at all costs was something you'd expect him to do. Not sure where Diggle goes from here though. He stills seems too hang up on the Andy thing, although I fail to see what he did wrong. The guy attempted to kill his wife and child and threatened to do it again! Hopefully Diggle's charges will get dropped and the show will move on from this storyline asap.

- The skyhook use was kind of lame. How did Oliver and Diggle even get pulled up?

- I will lump Felicity and the recruits together, because I had the same issue with all of them. At what point do they stop thinking they know better than Oliver? Good grief! Felicity's stunt with sending the recruits after Oliver was ridiculous. Seeing it backfire and the recruits giving Felicity the dirty look was priceless. Of course, that still didn't stop them from going after Church on their own, which naturally had ugly repercussions. I know they are supposed to be heroes (or heroes in the making) and all, but Rene getting captured and beaten up with Felicity feeling guilty about it felt right on multiple levels. Maybe they will know better from now on.

- The Rory/Felicity scenes were underwhelming and it still feels like the Havenrock situation has been poorly addressed. It's a bit like the paralysis storyline or Barry causing Cisco's brother's death: The show wanted to do something shocking, but didn't want to deal with the repercussions in a remotely realistic manner. And I call BS on Rory completely forgiving her.

- Exactly when did Evelyn become an expert archer?

- Willa Holland needs more screentime. Thea is easily one of the most likeable characters on the show right now.

- The flashbacks were quite good actually. They did something last year's flashbacks rarely did: Showcase Oliver's continued dark turn. Also, Anatoly has been a huge plus this season.

7.5/10.

Originally posted by President_Luthor
        -Ragman, Felicity and Havenrock: Rory naturally is uncomfortable with serving with someone who is connected to all the deaths in Havenrock, a constant reminder of them. He initially quits the team! Compared to what just happened on The Flash, where Cisco is competing with Wells on naming meta freaks just one ep after he was holding a grudge against Barry over the Dante issue, we get to see both Felicity and Rory still bearing the weight of Havenrock's fallout. This was largely realistic and believable to me.
        Actually Cisco was holding the grudge only during episode 5.02 and it was settled by the end of the episode. Cisco is supposedly moving on in the last 2 episodes. Penance was the equivalent of Flash's Paradox on this front: Rory finds out, reacts angrily and then goes back to the team after half an episode. All the while, Felicity's reaction to killing 20.000 people has been a long face every time someone brings up Havenrock. It's just not realistic. Both storylines' fallout was handled poorly, imo.
        Last edited by costas22; 10-27-2016, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
          Now that was a good episode. Far from perfect, but it worked exactly where it should have.

FONT=Verdana]Actually Cisco was holding the grudge only during episode 5.02 and it was settled by the end of the episode. Cisco is supposedly moving on in the last 2 episodes. Penance was the equivalent of Flash's [/FONT]Paradox on this front: Rory finds out, reacts angrily and then goes back to the team after half an episode. All the while, Felicity's reaction to killing 20.000 people has been a long face every time someone brings up Havenrock. It's just not realistic. Both storylines' fallout was handled poorly, imo.
          I think both series' need to patch things up with the team too quickly is something they are both at fault with. And I do agree that both Felicity and Rory should have felt the weight of it for awhile more.

There's a best before date with this -- similarities to the 'How long should Oliver have to process that he now has a son?' discussion - there will be no consensus on whether it should have been sooner, later, etc. My impression was that some in the fandom were fine if he took a glacially long time to figure it out, if ever. At some point, Felicity and Rory would have to have the conversation to move forward, my preference on this scale being sooner rather than later. And I did like that Ragman actually quit the team as his initial reaction, something I think Cisco had every right to do if he had chosen to do this. But the whole team knuckles under ... because Iris wants them to forgive him.

While rushed, I felt they made a slightly better attempt to sell it here than over on Flash. I didn't get the impression Rory has completely forgiven Felicity -his actually quitting the team and then initially refusing to return underlining that it troubled him and still does. What I got out of it was that they would try to cope with what is obviously an awkward situation. I'm guessing this was the point Iris was making in backing her guy in front of the whole team ... but again, I would have preferred if this point was made between Barry and Cisco specifically. Barry's point beside not wanting Cisco to feel the weight of changing time for "selfish" gain was that he wants to move forward and so should Cisco. Forgive me/let it go/sweep it under the rug because I'm Barry, etc. Cisco being the diet Coca Cola Life humorous version of himself so soon after did not sit well with me.

Anyway, they both rushed things when it would be better story-wise if they had let it simmer even an ep or two more.

But, yeah, these shows don't like it when the team has internal beefs that threaten to make fans feel uncomfortable. And it would be angst from them that we would realistically expect to see. But no -- we've gotta patch things up before the audience feels uneasy about it. It's this part of it that I'm not crazy about.

I'm not sure where Diggle will go from here either. This is where for me it's a post-dated check, if they're also going to rush things re: Diggle and penance. Story-wise, he needed to get out of that prison otherwise he would literally be stuck in a woe-is-me rut as a character. But how going back to Team Arrow is going to help him heal over Andy is something that we've yet to see and they'll have to convince me on this.

Diggle didn't do anything wrong in the sense that his hand was forced and he offed Andy to protect his family. But in the Cain and Abel sense that it was one brother killing another brother in cold blood, whatever the circumstances, it's this weight that Diggle is feeling, that I am expecting him to feel and it's weight that he is not going to brush off after an episode. He should not feel okay or back to normal even after one post-prison mission, and I'd call BS on that if the impression is that he's gotten over Andy's death after one night out as Spartan. Even Ollie implied at the prison break that it was a good idea that he should do whatever penance he needs to for the sake of his own sanity. Ollie thinks Diggle being Spartan will do this. I'd have to see this actually play out over more than an ep.

It was sweet seeing Oliver be a leader, something long overdue. Sorry Team Arrow: TNG, you're in no position to not let Oliver do anything at this point.

Comment

While rushed, I felt they made a slightly better attempt to sell it here than over on Flash. I didn't get the impression Rory has completely forgiven Felicity -his actually quitting the team and then initially refusing to return underlining that it troubled him and still does. What I got out of it was that they would try to cope with what is obviously an awkward situation. I'm guessing this was the point Iris was making in backing her guy in front of the whole team ... but again, I would have preferred if this point was made between Barry and Cisco specifically. Barry's point beside not wanting Cisco to feel the weight of changing time for "selfish" gain was that he wants to move forward and so should Cisco. Forgive me/let it go/sweep it under the rug because I'm Barry, etc. Cisco being the diet Coca Cola Life humorous version of himself so soon after did not sit well with me.
            Not that I want to excuse the Flash in this, but we don't have a clear idea of how much time has passed between these episodes. For example the gap between episodes 5.02-5.03 and 5.03-5.04 might be longer than a week. Meaning Cisco might have had more time to stomach what's happened and accept it than we think. Offscreenville, as we used to say during a certain other DC show.

Neither storyline was truly explored in a realistic manner and both of them failed in different ways. But I will acknowledge that at least Arrow involved a scene where the hurt party addressed the "guilty" party and forgave them (again, as unrealistic as it might have been on Rory's part). Like you said, Barry and Cisco never really had that. Cisco was basically told to deal with it, which didn't exactly make us as the audience be more forgiving towards Barry. But then again, Barry and Cisco haven't been too tight this season either. Unless I forgot something, I don't recall many scenes between them in the last 2 episodes. So maybe that's the show's way of acknowledging that Cisco still hasn't completely forgotten what's happened.

But, yeah, these shows don't like it when the team has internal beefs that threaten to make fans feel uncomfortable. And it would be angst from them that we would realistically expect to see. But no -- we've gotta patch things up before the audience feels uneasy about it. It's this part of it that I'm not crazy about.
            The sad part is that these shows didn't seem to be equally considerate towards the audience when they were hammering it with Quentin/Donna, Olicity, Ray/Kendra melodrara...

Diggle didn't do anything wrong in the sense that his hand was forced and he offed Andy to protect his family. But in the Cain and Abel sense that it was one brother killing another brother in cold blood, whatever the circumstances, it's this weight that Diggle is feeling, that I am expecting him to feel and it's weight that he is not going to brush off after an episode. He should not feel okay or back to normal even after one post-prison mission, and I'd call BS on that if the impression is that he's gotten over Andy's death after one night out as Spartan. Even Ollie implied at the prison break that it was a good idea that he should do whatever penance he needs to for the sake of his own sanity. Ollie thinks Diggle being Spartan will do this. I'd have to see this actually play out over more than an ep.
            The thing that gets on my nerves in all this is Felicity sort of implying that John is where he should be. And the show seems to share that sentiment by having John be incredibly guilt ridden. Call me biased, but between Diggle killing Andy while defending himself and Felicity inadvertedly nuking an entire city, I'd say the latter is a bigger cause for imprisonment. Not downplaying what Diggle did and I get why he feels devastated. I just don't get why he would feel this guilty. Brother or not, the guy was the reason Laurel died, he tried to kill Diggle's family with a bazooka and he then claimed that he would try again. He was a lost cause.

As for his penance, I guess it depends on the show's version of it. The army was clearly not the answer (gee, who didn't see that one coming!). They will probably come up with something wacky. These shows have a weird version of penance anyway. On Smallville Oliver forgave himself for killing Lex in cold blood by going through Chloe's mind games. Whatevs.

Comment

A enjoyable episode.

It showed just how strong Oliver's friendship is for Diggle of willing to go break him out of prison despite his wishes because he's not going to let him leave behind his son or Lyla. Also I liked Lyla showing up this episode, to help out.

Which in Oliver's case yeah he's back to having a back bone compared to last year. He quietly put Felicity in her place then tried to do the same with the recruits but they needed a beat down. So yeah it's massive improvement compared to season 3 and 4 where he just let Felicity and everybody else just walk over him, never saying a word.

Also just seeing Oliver on his own and inside the prison, was enjoyable and missed over these past few years.

In Diggle's case, well he's always has had a problem with the darker elements of the world, even if killing Andy was needed.

Speaking of guilt with Rory and Havenrock, for Felicity well I'm glad they actually had Rory quit the team before eventually coming back. He just didn't go "Oh I understand" and been perfectly fine which then I would have called out the pandering. Thankfully they didn't head down that route.

For Felicity in this episode well I'd say the part at the end of Ragman and Felicity agreeing to keep each other in check reminded me a bit of the Mary Sue stuff but other then that, not much else. I'm not even really going to fault her for sending the team because they didn't have much of a choice considering Church's plan.

In the Team's case, they managed to recuse the people but got their buts kicked in the process. Wild Dog is captured and Curtis got a knife in his back, good on both accounts. This should further help them realize the actual stakes being out on the streets.

I'd say I'm warming up to Wild Dog, Ragman and for Evelyn but kind of hard since she's not allowed much room.

Curtis is well kind of going down on my list, which I think it's all the complaining he does about Oliver's training and the fact for a supposed to be former Olympic athlete or fighter, especially since last year he held off Roy Harper well I'm having a real hard time buying him as one. Plus just basically being a male version of Felicity with the quirky humor and such doesn't always work.

I have to say I'm interested in Adrian Chase and curious to see where his character goes.

Now onto the flashbacks

They started off being good and I was pleased when Oliver did his threat of the man's family and yeah Oliver's getting closer to being the guy from season 1. This is a good.

Now when the guy asked "How can an American become this Bratva devil" I was curious to see what would happen. I never saw coming Oliver breaking the man's neck and dropping his body to the floor without even blinking.

A total The Hood moment and I liked it. Also the flashbacks in season 3 and 4 have basically been a way kind of in a limbo of not really moving forward. Season 4 this was really obvious of just constantly telling us "How dark Oliver has become" but never really showing us and even when Oliver killed in season 4 it just didn't matter.

I'm glad they are doing a serious course correction and actually showing us instead. Because for the first time in a long while I can actually go "Ok yeah I can see how Oliver can become The Hood."

All in all a good episode.

Next episode is going to be the test on since they've been saying it's an "Olicty" focused episode and whether or not they've actually learned anything. I'm hoping based off these past four episodes, they have.
              Last edited by Haggard01; 10-27-2016, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                Not that I want to excuse the Flash in this, but we don't have a clear idea of how much time has passed between these episodes. For example the gap between episodes 5.02-5.03 and 5.03-5.04 might be longer than a week. Meaning Cisco might have had more time to stomach what's happened and accept it than we think. Offscreenville, as we used to say during a certain other DC show.
                Offscreenville will likely be how they'll explain how Cisco and Barry came to be if not best buddies, then at least as colleagues who can get along and work together. I can imagine lots of avoiding eye contact in the hallways, Barry ducking into the men's washroom when he spots Cisco returning from a grief counselling session, Cisco skipping out on team Big Belly Burger and movie night because he needs to "recalibrate" the thing-a-ma-whatsis down in level G at the other end of STARLabs that no one sees ... and eventually they sort it out.

The sad part is that these shows didn't seem to be equally considerate towards the audience when they were hammering it with Quentin/Donna, Olicity, Ray/Kendra melodrara...
                If only they had the sense to shove much of the Kendra-Love Triangle-A-Palooza into offscreenville, as well as the domestic nonsense with Donna. And it's a given that the excess of Olicity in offscreenville would be beneficial to the show.

The thing that gets on my nerves in all this is Felicity sort of implying that John is where he should be. And the show seems to share that sentiment by having John be incredibly guilt ridden. Call me biased, but between Diggle killing Andy while defending himself and Felicity inadvertedly nuking an entire city, I'd say the latter is a bigger cause for imprisonment. Not downplaying what Diggle did and I get why he feels devastated. I just don't get why he would feel this guilty. Brother or not, the guy was the reason Laurel died, he tried to kill Diggle's family with a bazooka and he then claimed that he would try again. He was a lost cause.

As for his penance, I guess it depends on the show's version of it. The army was clearly not the answer (gee, who didn't see that one coming!). They will probably come up with something wacky. These shows have a weird version of penance anyway. On Smallville Oliver forgave himself for killing Lex in cold blood by going through Chloe's mind games. Whatevs.
                I'd say that if anyone knows Diggle's mind best -- it would be Lyla. Not Felicity certainly, and not even Oliver to a point though his experiences make him better suited to relate. And as crazy as Lyla's plan was to break him out of prison, she knew that his being there was not in his best interest re: his mental health. (And from just a storytelling view, not in his best interest as a character to wallow alone in self-loathing in that cell for weeks and weeks.) After two missions, it'll be likely "Andy who?". He dealt with it in offscreenville, going off on a solo camping trip, with one chilly moonlit night eating a can of baked beans and stale bread ... and shedding man-tears with a flask of Ollie's Bratva-era vodka, thinking of happier times with Andy during their childhood. Diggle slurring "Vashe zrodovye!" to no one in particular in the woods at 3 a.m. He wakes up next day and all his guilt is washed away with an excruciating vodka/baked bean-fueled headache and a text message from an annoyed Lyla reminding him that the garbage in their HIVE hideaway isn't going to throw itself out, Johnny.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me about the SV season when only giving Clark a kryptonized allergy to Lana aka a Clana-llergy could drive Clark and Lana apart (Clana: the ship that just. would. not. die.), with that monstrosity of a Lex with a gazillion vacuum tubes plugged into him. I think I forgave SV Oliver for doing the deed long before he forgave himself.

Comment

So, Wild Dog was captured while he was covering the retreat of others - no big surprise here [puts "V" mark on the list containing predictions/scenes that need to happen). I don't believe that I fell for so cheap tropes, but I like this guy (it seems that I just like character universally hated by fandoms - so Wild Dog joins Carrie Cutter and Amanda Waller They can go grap a coffee together or something). Yeah, I think that the actor is charismatic enough to give some life to a type of character that I've seen 267 times already (well, it seems that I just like outsiders).

Actions scenes were quite good, even if at times Logic Doesn't Work - Ragman had better chances than Wild Dog to stop Church, also it was not clear if Wild Dog was short on ammo (I've half expected a scene with a reference to Indiana Jones ). But since The Plot Demands certain scenes to happen... Well, it happened.

Obviously watching Oliver as a badass vigilante will never bore me. It's good that they addressed the strong bond between Dig and Ollie and that Oliver I-know-the-best broke him out of the prison even against his will (but honestly, for a while I was afraid that Dig will start to ship Olicity even in the prison cell - he asked about her; fortunately no shipping this time <--------<<< I'm pretty sure Ollie would just leave him in the cell, if he had started to do that, "Sorry, Lyla, it was totally impossible to get John out because of... Because of the Reasons!). It was nice to see Lyla too, and Oliver and Lyla cooperating. I liked also that Oliver just listened what Felicity had to say and then moved on doing what he intended to do, without excuses, explaining himself, asking for the permission or some other crap. Please, more scenes like this.

Flashback were really gritty and I admit, Oliver threatening that guy that he will "take care" of his family was really dark and sounded ominous - "Arrow" rarely is able to create that distrubing feeling, but that and the scene when Wild Dog was tortured - I've got that vibe.

Loose thoughts:
                  >>> Sooo, when Evelyn became a skilled archer actually? A big screw up on their side (was it really so hard to address that she is into archery, used to train archery, anything???). Now I have a tie with that Cupid scene from "Broken Hearts". Unexperienced person with a bow in a hand would make more harm than good.

>>> The scene with the plane was stupid. For a moment I thought that we will see Alan in live action though. (Alan was a pilot that appeared in one chapter in comic antology for season 1 - he was the guy who helped Oliver when he needed to "jump off something" in Bludhaven, when he went to save Walter).

>>> I'm okay with how Felicity and Ragman scenes played out - it's not the best piece of writing, they solved it fast but it's way better than dragging this though like half a season.

>>> The new DA still annoys me. And he is going to become a vigilante too? Crap.

>>> Loved all Quentin scenes and especially "Quentin to the Rescue!". Also, I guess the situation with Wild Dog reminds him about Laurel's fate. He doesn't need to tell anything, one can instantly guess what is occuping his mind and that dark train of thoughts... I simply love Paul Blackthorne, and I'm happy that I can watch him in this show, in this part. His scene with Thea was good, I enjoy two of them together.

>>> Oliver taking down all the Vigilante Interns in like 5 seconds < just lol. Also eariler, when he supervised them - I have an impression that he's already running on reserves of his patience.

>>> So... Why are they so sure that they will get Rene back in one piece? Of course Plot Demands and we all have seen the trailer for the first few episodes of season 5 but from the chracters perspective the most likely outcome is that they will find Wild Dog beaten to death the next day, his body dropped at the police station's doorstep.

>>> Hey, they even mentioned Roy. They remember about him!

>>> I haven't know that "you drunk" in Russian sounds exactly the same like in Polish. XD "Pijaczyna!" < no idea how it would be written in Cyrillic.

Quite solid 8.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎