Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why does Lex keep saying that Clark betrayed him? when he betrayed Clark?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why does Lex keep saying that Clark betrayed him? when he betrayed Clark?

There is one thing I don't understand, if Clark never betrayed Lex, then why is Lex saying that he has when he hasn't? I don't get that. Can some one help me understand that please? because I am so very confused about that. Since it makes Lex look like ****ing hypocrite by always saying that Clark betrayed him when we all know he is the one who did all the betraying. I'm sorry, excuse my language I am just exasperated at the fact that Lex keeps turning it all around on Clark and not taking any personal responsibility or emotional ownership of his own behavior, choices and actions. Why does he feel the need to blame Clark and not himself? Lex has a certain tendency of lying about all the lies he lied about, so he's the last person to criticize or blame anyone for not trusting him with anything when he has proven to them that he is untrustworthy every time. by any one I mean Clark of all people. I mean nothing is ever good enough for Lex, he's never satisfied, he always wants more of what he can't have because he doesn't know how to get it without earning it. So why waste his time in trying to get something he'll never have? (Clark's trust)?
    Last edited by laurarawlins; 10-24-2016, 10:48 PM.

How did Lex feel betrayed by Clark?

Started by laurarawlins, 08-23-2016 11:15 PM

why does Lex feel betrayed by Clark keeping his secret from him?

Started by laurarawlins, 03-29-2016 05:24 AM

How is Clark keeping his secret from Lex a betrayal? (and other questions)

Started by laurarawlins, 03-21-2016 09:29 PM

Comment

Let me explain it two-fold:

1)
      People perceive things differently. It's the main reason any relationship falls apart. She feels he's not doing enough in the house, he feels he's doing plenty and she's just OCDing.

Take cultural differences as another example. Germans can appear blunt because if you ask them a question, they will probably give you a straight answer. This is more true the more business-like the environment is. Germans of course know the concept of the white lie to protect someone's feelings (no, you don't look fat in that dress) but when it comes to a project the goal is to reach the deadline, is it not? Why sugarcoat it? The designs you made are not doable, period. An American or especially someone from Asia might take offense at such directness (especially since most of Asia has 800 ways of saying no without actually saying no).

So, in Lex's mind he has been a good friend and occasion he has. Let's not forget he forked over 50,000 dollars for the sister of a friend of Clark's. In his mind they're best friends and for a time they were and he thinks that entitles him to know these things about Clark.

He doesn't know that Clark was raised to keep this secret, it's part of his DNA by now and that takes him a really long time to open up to people. We know that he's been friends with Pete at least since the first grade. He revealed himself in the tenth. He's been friend with Chloe since the eighth grade, he reveals himself only five years later. It's five years for Lana as well (if you take Reckoning). It's six years for Lois.

Clark has only been friends with Lex for four years before they called it quits.

2)
      It's a TV show. A TV show on a teen network needs drama. Look at Arrow, look at Flash. Sometime drama is created without rhyme or reason out of thin air and without any actual rationale. Like when Oliver accused Clark of having known that Lionel killed Oliver's parents. Clark learned that fact like 24 hours before Lionel's death but it's treated as if Clark has known this for years and protected Lionel from repercussions or something like that.

Comment

The way I see it, Lex views friendship as a 'you scratch my back I'll scratch yours' kind of deal, so if he gives Clark something, he expects something in return, ie, Clark's secrets. The thing about Lex too is that he has never taken responsibility for his own actions and his own choices. Case in point: in season four he tells Clark he has a darkness he can't always control, but Clark's friendship helps keep it at bay. I've said it in a couple of fics, but it still annoys me that he's placed a heck of a burden on a seventeen-year-old kid. It has always bothered me that the blame has always been on Clark's 'behaviour' for Lex going bad, yet right from the very beginning we see Lex making morally ambiguous decisions which had nothing to do with Clark - Nixon being one of them. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Comment

The Clark and Lex relationship on Smallville was very complex, and in many ways, both are equally at fault for it failing. Lex by simply being who he was, was at a disadvantage. He's someone who doesn't really understand what real friendship is, based on how he was raised. Lionel spent Lex's whole life trying to mold him into what he saw as the penultimate example of being a Luthor. Someone who is cold, calculating, and utterly remorseless. Through some snippets, we were told/shown that Lex's mother spent the earliest years trying to curb the influence Lionel had in that regard, by encouraging Lex to be less like his father. We even got in the pilot, and a few flashbacks, that Lex felt more comfortable with his mother, and wanted to be more like her. The problem is, she died when Lex was little. Lionel then molded Lex to be what he wanted. Lex still resisted, and on the scale of Luthor's, he really was a disappointment at first. His mother's influence had carried over, and Lex still tried to be a good man. However, some of Lionel got in there too, and it poisoned the well so to speak. Lex employed morally ambiguous, and then downright immoral tactics. He became obsessed over Clark's secret. This was bad for Lex because he began to see this as a sign of Clark not trusting him, and he began to view that through the "Luthor Lense". Clark not trusting Lex was because Clark was trying to use Lex for his own means. Clark must have an ulterior motive. Even though Lex ended up having the ulterior motive, he never saw that as being his fault. It was always Clark's fault for not trusting Lex enough, and MAKING Lex have to go behind Clark's back.

With Clark, he wanted to trust Lex, but he ended up being influenced by his parents as well. Especially Jonathon. Jonathon made no secret from day one that he didn't trust Lex. He did the one thing he and Martha tried to teach Clark not to do, and he judged Lex based on the actions of Lex's father. Jonathon saw ulterior motives, where maybe initially none actually existed. Clark acted, in many ways, just as Lex. Lex was being pushed to not trust anyone but himself, and to wall himself off to be a more effective, and ruthless businessman, and Clark was pushed to not trust people out of a pure instinct to survive. Clark was taught that everyone that wanted to know about him, had an ulterior motive, and wanted to control or study him. Both parties were wholly unprepared for a successful friendship. Lex tried to be a good friend. However, he almost had a too perfect view of friendship in his mind. He trusted very quickly. Was envious of Clark's life. No matter how hard he tried or pushed however, he couldn't get Clark or the Kent's to open up. He'd get one step forward, but his curiosity about Clark's secret would put him three steps back. Likewise, Clark's refusal to open up and fully trust Lex was a problem. Lex could see Clark's reluctance to give 100% to their friendship. In the early seasons, I truly saw Lex as trying to figure out Clark's secret, as more of a way to remove an obstacle in their relationship that kept them from being truly brotherly. Lex didn't view his actions as evil. He was trying to save what he thought could be a doomed friendship due to secrets and lies (the ever present recurring theme of 9.78 seasons of the show). Lex sees Clark's not trusting him, as Clark not being a real friend to him.

At the end of the day, this all comes back to how the two were raised. I remember discussing on these boards how different life would have been, had Clark actually trusted Lex early on, and the Kent's been not as standoffish. I personally think Lex would have ended up breaking away from Lionel, and would have actually had a better path. For the all the show talked about destiny, it also pushed the idea that no one has a destiny, except for what they choose for themself. Lex could have chosen a different path. He didn't end up doing that, partly because of Clark not being 100% there for him. That's why Lex sees the dissolution of their friendship as Clark's fault. It's also why Lex doesn't see the mistakes he made in their friendship, as anywhere near as bad as Clark's.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎