0 0%
  • 1 - Bad

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "A Matter of Trust?"

What did you think?

Posting Pro

Wasn't planning on a review. Though I guess this is more of a roast...

5/10. Good character development on some areas, but for most part lackluster, and a really poor storyline. Oh, forgot to mention the whole Joker angle in my review... Damn it.

Posting Pro
    I'm going to get into doing a review tomorrow when I'm not so tired but there is one thing that's kind of bugging me.

In 5x02 flashbacks Oliver led those men to their deaths by ringing the bell and from the look of horror of realization on his face plus Anatoly's line of "Only person you can trust is yourself". Well all that kind of led me to believe that's one reason why he was so closed off in season 1 and had a really hard time learning to trust Diggle was because of getting those men killed plus only trusting himself during The Bratva.

Now in 5x03, we find out those men where in fact dirt bags and were probably going to die anyway. So I have to wonder if that reason no longer applies since those men where criminals or at least one was.

Unless I'm messing the point and it's more of got to do with Oliver like he said in 5x02 "of if he's not personally attached and you don't know anything about the people your working with, there can be no loss."

Which in 5x02 Oliver is told "trust only I yourself but in 5x03 it's trusting in his the Bratva brother hood. Which I'm guessing is related to if Oliver trusted the men not to kill him with those knives and extend some form of trust to the men since after all Bratva is brother hood. I think that's what they where going for.

Any thoughts of helping to clarify this?

Settling In
    I thought they just gave birth to the joker.
    Simple straight forward storyline but too many things were happening. They couldn't give all of it justice. They had enough today for a couple of episode but they squeeze it all in one.

1. Diggle storyline with Deadshot coming back?
    2. Bratva thing
    3. Team thing

IS deadshot back or is John just hallucinating.

Of the new team, Ragman is intriguing. He seems like he's got a story of his own.

Settling In
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggard01 View Post
    Any thoughts of helping to clarify this?
    Not sure but Anatoly is indoctrinating him when he is a member of the Bratva he's and the Bratva are the same thing. In the brotherhood they are all the same person. Not sure if I'm saying it right.

Criminals tend to betray each other no honor among thieves so he has to be careful but in a criminal syndicate like the Bratva absolute Loyalty is paramount without it they fall apart.

So maybe he's saying be careful but loyal to your brothers

A mostly bland episode that kept recycling the same theme over and over and over and over again. Arrow hasn't descended to its late season 4 crappy levels (yet), but it isn't exactly firing on all cylinders either. In fact, if one compares the first 3 episodes of this season to the first 3 episodes of season 4, then season 4 probably edges it quality wise. Anyway, a few random thoughts:

- Did anyone realize that this episode was about *GASP* trust? I don't think it was emphasized enough.

- Sorry, the Team Arrow 2.0 concept isn't working for me. It's not just about the fact that I'd rather see Oliver out there on his own. It's that I find most of these recruits either boring (Evelyn and Ragman) or flat our annoying (Wild Dog and Curtis). And the biggest disappointment for me is Curtis, because they've taken Mr Terrific and turned him into a male version of Felicity, only without any real sense of humor. Wild Dog is the Wally West equivalent of the show. The pigheaded egotist who refuses to realize he doesn't have all the answers. I sure hope this is leading towards Prometheus taking out a couple of these new recruits, just to make things more personal with Oliver. At this point, it's really the best use the show can have for them, IMO.

- What was also irritating about the Team Arrow scenes this week was that Wild Dog royally messed up and somehow Oliver was the one who apoligized in the end! It's basically become a drinking game: Felicity tells Oliver he's doing something wrong, he accepts it and apoligizes. They might as well have Felicity be the team leader. Or Wild Dog, since he clearly has everything figured out.

- Adrian Chase had a pretty good opening episode, I thought. His rapport with Oliver was fun and there was no contrived drama involved.

- Thea's scenes were frustrating more than anything. Because in an attempt to manufacture some drama involving her, they made her look like an idiot who blurts out to journalists she doesn't even know that Oliver isn't calling the shots! Don't get me wrong, I liked the fact that Oliver went to bat for her and Quentin, but this was another example of the storytelling that's plagued this show at times: Tearing down something just to rebuild it into its previous state. That's not character growth.

- The Diggle scenes were very good and I loved seeing Michael Rowe back. He always has good chemistry with Ramsey. I am glad to see that next episode will be about getting Diggle back, because the show has missed his presence in the Arrowcave. Lyla appearing again was a most welcome bonus.

- Felicity *truly* apologizing for something was incredible! Never though I'd see the day! Of course, with Rory walking away, this particular drama is far from over. Yay.

- The flashbacks were fine.

- Cody was a bit raw in some of his dialogue delivery, but he did ok overall.

5/10. Would have been 4, but the episode gets an extra point because Felicity finally owned up about something.
    Last edited by costas22; 10-20-2016 at 02:31 AM.

Posting Pro
    costas: you didn't get the vibe that the girl Oliver 'stole' from Adrian was Laurel? I kinda did, and if that's the case, well, contrived drama.

Quote Originally Posted by JDBentz View Post
    costas: you didn't get the vibe that the girl Oliver 'stole' from Adrian was Laurel? I kinda did, and if that's the case, well, contrived drama.
    Didn't cross my mind because Oliver didn't even seem to know who Chase was talking about, lol. I think he would remember how he met Laurel. However, this scene was a good reminder of how often Oliver cheated on Laurel back in the day.

Posting Pro
    Well, I hope that's the case, but honestly, why mention that at all unless it was going to play a role in the theme of the season, which is legacy? Oliver's legacy, Laurel's legacy... Why mention a one-off stand with a former girlfriend of the new DA 12 years ago unless it plays a role, such as driving Adrian to take up the mask to honor that person? I mean, the whole 'dead woman inspires hero and/or villain to take action' trope seems to be a favorite. And if Prometheus isn't Tommy, having someone like Adrian Chase be a former GF of Adrian Chase would give some tieback.

Again, I hope you're right, but why mention that particular thing from 12 years ago?

What I didn't get was the Villian, Sampson.

Ok, so he drops in a vat and cannot feel pain. Plus some augmented strength. Both of those put together DOES NOT MAKE HIM INVINCIBLE OR UNSTOPPABLE!!!!

The guy took two shots to the back and an arrow to the chest. Last time I checked, not feeling the pain from that does not prevent you from bleeding out.

This was made all the more obvious when Oliver slashed his tendons so he couldn't move.

Boo, writers. Very lackluster villain.

Over all I liked the episode but I'm starting to dislike Curtis...alot. I hope he comes into his own and can be Mr. Terrific. If not, pass the mantle to someone else.

Forum Whiz
    Another meh episode. I quite enjoyed Thea but everything else was fine. Cody Rhodes should stick to wrestling though.

Just a few thoughts for the moment:

There were two things I wanted checkmarked in Arrow S5. One - Felicity feels the weight of her actions re: Havenrock. Not blame, Curtis is right here -- Darhk is ultimately responsible for setting events in motion here. But I always expected that making such a choice would hit Felicity's conscience nonetheless. Ideally, it would have hit her (how about last season?) without the necessity of having Ragman on the team as the in-your-face continual reminder of Havenrock, but however it happened, I think it was a necessity that Felicity felt the weight of it. Nobody else in the entire Flarrowverse has Havenrock on their radar, so at least it's an acknowledgment that it was a real and irreversible catastrophe.

And two - Diggle feels the weight of killing Andy. The circumstances of Andy's death, his duplicity, the "fog of war" are all side issues. It boils down to one brother killing another. Fratricide. Having the hallucination of Deadshot -- the man Diggle hunted to avenge what he thought was his brother's murder by HIVE -- emphasized that it wasn't something they he could just brush under the rug and move on with barely any fallout on his conscience. I needed to see that too.

On this front, these were accomplished. Of course, I don't want them to be stewing about it endlessly for weeks on end (which is entirely possible too). What I wanted was an acknowledgement that these choices affected them profoundly, as they should have. And this was largely what I got here.

What I will say is that I'm glad they're not dragging along the training of the recruits out for weeks and weeks. While I'm still not convinced they are as "ready" as they want us to think they are, out of necessity for time and moving the story along I prefer they got past the training hurdle asap.

Yeah, Curtis can be annoying at times but I think his role will be to lighten the mood aka sort of what early seasons Felicity did. (Post-Havenrock Felicity will be in no real mood to do this at least for a few eps.) S5 is intended to be more grim, so I feel a little humour will be required as a balance. Not all the time though -- and this is where maybe they'll need to dial it down with Curtis, depending on the situation.

I know TPTB love Batman influences on Arrow -- but giving Cody Rhodes a cut-and-paste Jokerized origin was too obvious.

The ep. didn't knock it out of the park unfortunately, but it was an average, routine episode. And they've left plenty of room to ramp up the angst if they choose to, with the Felicity - Ragman subplot and with Diggle's martyr complex in choosing to stay in jail to make amends for Andy's death. It was cool to see Lyla again, not surprising she's on point in getting plans underway to free him.

Posting Pro
    So the ratings where down last week based on this: http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-a-...atings-report/

Which well this is not good. Let's hope once the factors come in they go up but we don't really need the ratings going down. Because naturally my biggest worry is the showrunners will just go back to Olicty melodrama and pandering.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggard01 View Post
    Because naturally my biggest worry is the showrunners will just go back to Olicty melodrama and pandering.
    Although technically there's no proof that Olicity was a difference maker anyway. One could even say that the ratings slide which began at the end of last season was a result of the show's 2 year old Olicity storyline.

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    Although technically there's no proof that Olicity was a difference maker anyway. One could even say that the ratings slide which began at the end of last season was a result of the show's 2 year old Olicity storyline.
    I was actually referring to the showrunners going back to Olicty in order to draw and crowd back in to get higher ratings. The last thing I want is more ratings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast