0 0%
  • 1 - Bad

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "The Recruits?"

What did you think?

Posting Pro

Yes. I watched it live. I hoped I wouldn't regret it. I do not.

9/10 for a subplot that seems disconnected. Everything else: well done!

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JDBentz View Post

Yes. I watched it live. I hoped I wouldn't regret it. I do not.

9/10 for a subplot that seems disconnected. Everything else: well done!
    Good video.

I found the line of "Oh wait Thea and Laurel got trained by Malcolm and Nyssa" to be humorous.

Very nice on the ending of putting the Laurel fans/haters regardless and "comic book fans" under the same bracket as the complaining Olicty shippers which they all just become naysayers completely.

That's more like it. As in, that's more like the Arrow episode we've come to expect in the last 2 years.

- The dynamic between Oliver and Felicity this week is exactly what's turned me sour on the show in recent times. Oliver is deliberately portrayed as the judgmental jerk who needs to be put in line by headmaster Felicity. And while they were a bit more subtle, the signs of this were evident last week as well. That's why I didn't want to get my hopes about up the show changing its bad habits. Now we have Team Arrow 2.0 set and we have the wonderful Felicity to thank for reprimanding Oliver about stuff he should have already known in the first place. UGH! Also, WTF was Curtis' rant about? Speedy and Spartan left for their own reasons. Not because of Oliver! People watch this show waiting for Green Arrow to set the example. Not to get taken to the woodshed by whiny secondary characters.

- Not a fan of awfully convenient flashback and present day storyline parallels (looking at you, training bell). Yes, it worked once or twice in the past, but now it's so contrived that it takes you right out of the story. That said, the Bratva stuff was fun and Anataly is great in every scene he's in.

- Speaking of, between the present day storylines, the flashbacks AND Diggle's arc, imo this show was trying to juggle too much stuff at once. I did like the Diggle scenes, but maybe they should have been saved for an episode that didn't involve flasjbacks.

- Mentioned this last week, but they should be more careful about their season 1 shoutouts. Felicity taking contaminated evidence to her detective boyfriend just so she could use the same lame excuses that Oliver used back in the day felt incredibly stupid. Speaking of Malone, hopefully they'll show more scenes of him on his own. It would be nice to find out a bit more about this guy because "Felicity likes him!" means zilch.

- The one shining light on Arrow in recent times is Willa Holland. She brings a grace to her scenes that we haven't seen from an Arrow actress since Susanna was around. Thea's scenes with Quentin and with Oliver were easily my favorites in this episode. Please give her this amount of screentime every week.

5/10. Would have been 4, but it gets an extra point because of Willa.
    Last edited by costas22; 10-13-2016 at 04:12 AM.

Forum Whiz
    Decent episode. Felicity actually had some amusing lines.

Ragman seems quite cool although I thought Arrow were done with the mysticism stuff. I'm also surprised that no one else was surprised by those magical rags.

Really enjoying Thea so far. She has come so far since Season One.

It seemed at that conference that Oliver manged to magically turn into Green Arrow when Ragman appeared.

Posting Pro
    So, there were slightly more viewers for last night's episode as opposed to the premiere. Isn't that unusual? Not that I'm complaining. It means people are taking messages like mine and Haggard's seriously, to show the showrunners we appreciate the current path and respect towards the seasons that made this show great.

Quark: at some point, Dig's C.O. makes mention of 'magic men' so I think its actually common knowledge now, especially since Star City citizens HAVE witnessed Darhk's magic more than once. So the rags might've gotten a few raised eyebrows, but I don't think they'd get freaked out screams... unless you're the target.

Posting Pro
    So, there were slightly more viewers for last night's episode as opposed to the premiere. Isn't that unusual? Not that I'm complaining. It means people are taking messages like mine and Haggard's seriously, to show the showrunners we appreciate the current path and respect towards the seasons that made this show great.
    That's really good if they are taking our messages seriously of watching the show.

According to the overnight reports, Arrow's viewership rised by 60.000 viewers this week. Demo was the same.

Forum Whiz

Quark: at some point, Dig's C.O. makes mention of 'magic men' so I think its actually common knowledge now, especially since Star City citizens HAVE witnessed Darhk's magic more than once. So the rags might've gotten a few raised eyebrows, but I don't think they'd get freaked out screams... unless you're the target.
    Fair enough I guess.

Forum Regular
    The Flash backs I can do without. The recruits the only one I like is Curtis the others don't seem to work well with the flash. I would like Curtis to to just be Felicities
    side kick in the Arrow cave.
    Also since Felicity has moved on and has a new guy I would like Oliver to do the same.

Forum Regular
    Solid episode. I know Felcity can seem judgemental at times, but I thought she made some excellent points In this particular episode

I won't be too repetitive about what others have already said.

I do like the Bratva flashbacks as we've been expecting them, but the Diggle flashbacks did clutter the ep a bit and pulled me out of the present-day story. It would have been fine if we had a one-third or half-ep that spent time showing us what Diggle was up to in Latvia -- a "one-and-done" ep. I'm really hoping Diggle comes stateside sooner rather than later. I figure they need to show us how Diggle came around to rejoining the team, but they could have gone about it in another way. In S5, the flashbacks really need to be only Ollie's realm.

While Quentin was the star of the premiere, ep. 2 was Thea's moment to shine. She is definitely Moira's daughter and offering Quentin the deputy mayor's job would a) keep him on the wagon and b) free up Oliver to concentrate on GA missions while Quentin holds down the fort for Mayor Queen during the day. Well played, Thea.

I didn't mind the training - Bratva parallels. Yeah, the ring the bell exercise was a bit too on-the-nose -- and the teamwork lesson was the opposite of the trust-no-one-but-yourself lesson he learned in Russia. I'll have to take Curtis' rant as a bit of a S5 revisionist spin on Oliver Queen - GA identity. They're suggesting that it was Oliver himself - not the Hood/Arrow/GA mission to save the city that kept the team together. I would agree that those who left had reasons of their own to leave and it can't be completely laid at Ollie's feet. My view is that in earlier seasons, Oliver Queen was more like the mask and the Hood/Arrow was the man he'd become -- his S3 identity crisis highlighting that Ollie had to shed his murkier Hood/Arrow attributes to move forward -an act that could not be completed without Roy's self-sacrifice. I'll chalk up Curtis' rant to fatigue and frustration at getting his butt handed to him over and over and over again. I'm betting Curtis will never, ever be able to speak to Oliver like that again.

Felicity was Felicity. If this were the first time Felicity spoon-fed motivation to Oliver, I would have been surprised. It's not (at least since S3-), so I basically have to . It didn't bother me as much and, in the context of Ollie using hardcore Bratva training on the newbies, I don't really blame her for putting her two cents in. Although I have to admit, how naive was Evelyn in thinking Team Arrow would get an orientation like frosh week at college?

"GA: Back on the line, recruits! Ring that bell!

Evelyn: So, are we going to get our book list for this semester? And do I need any prerequisite courses before I take vigilante training? And, say I have a scheduling conflict between Team Arrow training and sorority rush week -- do I get to take a make-up class or something? And can my brief stint as Teen Canary count as Applied Learning and get me some Team Arrow extra credit too?

GA: *sigh* It all makes sense now -- why I wanted to be a lone wolf for years. Man, I miss Lian Yu."

As for Felicity and her new dude-who-I-can't-be-bothered-to-know-his-name, doesn't she know by now that secrets and lies are going to be the death of their relationship? What are the Vegas odds on the new guy getting the Thanksgiving relationship turkey drop/dump? It's a holiday tradition after all.

Magic is back in the form of Ragman, but the surprise is he joined Team Arrow: TNG. Let's hope metas, magic and time travel are kept to the absolute minimum on Arrow.

The sum of its parts still made this ep. a fun one to watch, despite some glitches.

Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post
    As for Felicity and her new dude-who-I-can't-be-bothered-to-know-his-name, doesn't she know by now that secrets and lies are going to be the death of their relationship? What are the Vegas odds on the new guy getting the Thanksgiving relationship turkey drop/dump? It's a holiday tradition after all.
    Miss "I hate lies" lied? To her boyfriend? That can't be right!

After two seasons or so my headcanons agree with the show. That's really weird and I don't know what is happening. I'm not accustomed to be a part of fanbase they pander to, and Arrow feeling like Arrow again. As JDBentz and Haggard said in other topic - I don't expect writers to insert fan requests of any part of the fandom, just to make a show which is in accordance with the tropes they were originally there. This way I get an enjoyable B/B+ action superhero drama.

I also don't want to repeat stuff that was already said - the episode was enjoyable, but quite crammed. Dig's storyline was okay, but it took away attention from the main story, which was already quite full with the storylines of hospital, Ragman, GA sweeping the floor with the recruits, flashbacks, drunk Quentin, Thea trying to cover up for Ollie-not-being-in-the-office, subplot of that lady from The-Company-I-Don't-Remember-The-Name and Church buing weapon from said company...

Lose thoughts:

>>> I'm wondering of geography in Arrowverse. Did they even check where is Latvia, and where is Chechnya, or did I understand wrong what the intrigue was here? o_O Besides the most heated situation in region is currently on Ukrainan teritorry but I guess they didn't want to touch the topic of Russia-Ukraine conflict and write in mention of pro-Russian separatist rebels operatin on the east part of the country. Not to mention that the story of Genesis missile in this context would bring association with Buk missile that was seized by the separatist and used to shot down Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 in 2014.

>>> Loved the action scenes - I wonder how long it's going to last, but watching GA being psychotic I mean badass is exactly what I wanted to see. I loved the scene where he proves Wild Dog that he didn't let escape that Los Halcones guy, and - I admit - when Church had an upper hand over Green Arrow I thought "Like &^%$@! only 2 episodes into the season and Ollie has already his ass kicked by an ordinary thug". And then they clevearly reveal that he let that happen to test Ragman. I liked that twist.

>>> Liked all GA/Oliver The Past references and his brooding (I have a thing for the trope The Angsty Arrow I won't lie). Also his mention of what happened to Laurel and advising the new recruits to go look at her statue if they have doubts about his training was really powerful moment.

>>> Wild Dog is a dead man walking. Seriously, I like the guy (That should speak for itself, around 60% of my favorite chracters die. Badly.), but his characers fulfills EVERY single trope pratically screaming that he is the one to die.

>>> So now Felicity is making lame excuses, and her boyfriend is buying it? But I liked her's in that episode, and her and Oliver's interactions. Yeah, her questioning him in front of the recruits all the time might be annoying, but the things they were talking about worked within the context. Of course I'm a bit afraid that there is a foreshadowing of her getting that mask later in the course of the season and that writing Felicity as a normal person (not like not being "other people") is basically not going the last once the writers-people-who-don't-like-Olicity-are-bozos will be let out of whatever dark room they are locked up right now and given access to keyboard. I've seen reviews critcizing Felicity for basically everything (hey, the joke with green maybe was lame, but I liked it - and that expression on Oliver's face > :| was funny), but I don't agree with that. Felicity annoyed me for the most of season 3 and 4, but she doesn't annoy me now. And her place as Oliver's advisor has sense for a change, especially that Dig, to whom he could confide is far away. And Quentin is drunk, so he also can advise now.

>>> Prometheus - the short scene with him was again tense and omnious. (Yes, it's easy to buy me with ceratin tropes). I would really wish Prometheus was not Tommy/Robert E-2/Laurel/Yao Fei but someone Random who has a reason to hate GA for what he was doing as the Hood in season 1.

>>> I wonder how Ollie managed to change into GA costume in that hospital full of people?

Oliver: Hey, everyone, look there, it's the Flash!

Everyone turns away, meanwhile Oliver quickly changes into his suit, he had hidden in a special ring Barry had given him. No idea where he was keeping his bow and arrows hidden tough.

>>> "Arrow" always used a lot of Very Convinient Turn of Events. Church's escape from the scene was on of those < I think it would work better if he was arrested and they it would turn out that cops were on his payroll and let him go.

Overall there was a lot of things which are repeats or resolutions/tropes we have seen before (Ragman and his Dead Father < why it couldn't be Dead Mother? But since there was a conection between Oliver's and Ragman's stories this way I'll roll with that), but you know what? I'm not going to compain and nit-pick, because it's again fun to watch and it was all what I asked for. Unfortunately it means that when they again relapse to Olicity and romances it will be even more hurtful to lose the show again, but well, for now it's 2:0. It seems I've choose my avatar accordingly, because I've a kind of dysfunctional relationship with the show reflecting Cupid-the Arrow interactions - after throwing the show under a train, I watch it again. And I like it again. Solid 8.

Quote Originally Posted by acer15 View Post
    Also since Felicity has moved on and has a new guy I would like Oliver to do the same.
    Do you really write it seriously I wonder? Because thanks to the fact that they got rid of nonsenses like romantic dinners, fake weddings, she-is-light-of-my-life declarations and Ollie wondering what he should cook for lunch there is suddenly time for action & shooting arrows & saving the city. And I don't see any woman who could have a relationship with Oliver thanks to the fact that they get rid of almost all of them. Black Siren/Green Arrow would have as many cons as pros.

As for Felicity and her new dude-who-I-can't-be-bothered-to-know-his-name, doesn't she know by now that secrets and lies are going to be the death of their relationship?
    Detective Billy Malone

Billy & Felicity sitting in a tree...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast