No announcement yet.

"Paradox" Ratings A Flash Series Low

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Paradox" Ratings A Flash Series Low

What do you all think? Other shows were down too, but this... is not good.

It's definitely not good. And to be honest, the trend didn't start this week. The ratings have been lower ever since Trajectory. In the 3.0-3.4 million category. Only Kevin Smith's episode did better than that. Flashpoint was along those lines, which was a major concern because it was a much hyped season premiere. And now Paradox seems to be down almost 400k viewers.

IMO the show hasn't been the same since the Earth 2 episodes. The writing has gotten much sloppier and the characterization of Barry has borne the brunt of it. I really hope the showrunners get their act together and improve asap. The Flash has the potential and the cast to be doing a lot better than this.

Comment

The cast and production as a whole does a very bad job at promoting and getting fans excited. I think they may be resting on their laurels which is bad seeing as how this show isn't exactly a top ratings grabber. Also, whoever directed it could have done a much better job. The placement and pacing were all over the place.

Comment

I see a strong correlation between the quality of the show and the size of the cast of the show and that has typically been a problem with the CW. The larger the cast the harder it is for them to give true props to each character, and in a show that is supposed to be primarily about 1 character when you add in the extra characters you remove what first sold people on the show.

S1 was very much about Barry and Wells-Thawne, it provided enough to get your other cast members involved but it was still a story about Barry primarily. S2 spent more time developing other characters which in turn results in there being less development of Barry and his abilities, and with S3 we are only getting more characters introduced and having more time of other character interactions.

While this isn't necessarily a bad thing as a general rule, the way it's pulled off is never that strong and as such people get sick of it. I think it's probably why Supernatural for the most part has been strong (bar a couple of seasons), it has been a story about 2 brothers and a few extras but not a large cast that require more time to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipzo
          I see a strong correlation between the quality of the show and the size of the cast of the show and that has typically been a problem with the CW. The larger the cast the harder it is for them to give true props to each character, and in a show that is supposed to be primarily about 1 character when you add in the extra characters you remove what first sold people on the show.

S1 was very much about Barry and Wells-Thawne, it provided enough to get your other cast members involved but it was still a story about Barry primarily. S2 spent more time developing other characters which in turn results in there being less development of Barry and his abilities, and with S3 we are only getting more characters introduced and having more time of other character interactions.

While this isn't necessarily a bad thing as a general rule, the way it's pulled off is never that strong and as such people get sick of it. I think it's probably why Supernatural for the most part has been strong (bar a couple of seasons), it has been a story about 2 brothers and a few extras but not a large cast that require more time to develop.
          I am gonna make a confession. In the latter part of season 2 I could barely stomach Flash for all the irritating and annoying things they did. Everyone was out of character. Highlights:

1. Barry opened a Breach to challenge Zoom. I get it Zoom is the bad guy a hero can't abandon an Earth to Zoom. I can forgive that but Barry had him knocked down what did he do he got cocky gloated over Zoom and got his ass handed to him and got Caitlin kidnapped.

2. Barry gave his speed to Zoom stupid. I remember thinking why didn't they poison Zoom?

3. Further Barry abandoned Caitlin to Zoom. There was no attempt at a rescue. Barry didn't try to overdose on V9 to try and rescue her. Cisco didn't suit up. I'm pretty sure Barry gave a speech about friendship and family while Caitlin was left at the hands of Zoom.

I remember in Smallville Clark lost his power a few times and he soldiered. One time he used the tools at hand he used Grandpa Kent's shotgun to fight the Freak of the week. Oliver suffering Vertigo still went in with his bare hands in Arrow.

How did Caitlin escape oh yeah Zoom let her go.

4. Oh Zoom opened a bridge with a waive of his hand.

5. Then there was the Flash Zoom race and the whole idea of Time Wraiths (The one where Barry and Zoom can split themselves into two)

6. West-Allen was justification in Season 2

I came back for Season 3 because Barry decided to change the timeline. So in I was trying to erase season 2 in my head until I did this post.

I think Flash has potential and I am giving Season 3 a shot I hope they do better this season.

I hope they do something about the characters soon.
          Tom Cavanaugh is no where in sight. thats like removing a main character right there. Either of John Wesley Shipp's character should have stayed Either Henry Allen or Jay Garrick would have made great additions but who did they add instead?

Wally West? He couldn't even beat Rival. He may add to family drama for Joe but Joe already has Barry as a son. I am willing to give Tom Felton's character a shot because he is new and we don't know what he brings in yet.

For the story.
          First Time travel. Flash has overuse that secret weapon so many times there is no Thrill anymore. Somebody gets killed Barry turns back time. Superman did it once once and never again. Barry does it every two months. Paradox addressed that but that Plot device is always there now.

Second, Barry also jump the shark/shot himself in the foot with what he did to Weather Wizard Liam McIntire. He ran around the City and just threw him into the Accelerator Prison. Whats stopping him doing that every week?

Third Barry heals so fast there is no danger to his life. Season 2 could have gone a lot better if Barry was in a wheelchair after Zoom broke his back.

Fourth all the speedsters. Season 1 had RF cool not bad but the big draw was Cavanaugh's performance. Great. Season 2 Zoom was scary and all but what made him different from RF? Season 3 promised yet another speedster and while I think the concept art and his name seems cool. Its another Speedster.

I hope they get it together.
          Last edited by YutG; 10-13-2016, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I think the lower ratings are easily correlated to the decrease in quality. The show just hasn't been as good, and there's SO MUCH superhero content out right now that, if you're bad, people can just watch something else. It also doesn't help that people are down on Arrow and Legends, but I'd call that more of a secondary issue.

Comment

I'm expecting a further hit in the following weeks.

One simply CANNOT keep changing the personalities of people at a whim, it pisses people off as all the time they've spent investing in character A, B and C right from the very start is all gone. Ep 2 changed everyone's personality, and tbh, for what ?, really imo, for no reason at all. There are far better ways to teach Barry a lesson than to change the persona of everyone around him.

Mopey Flash hating Cisco. WTF ?
              Joe as a drunken bum. WTF ?
              Iris/Joe not on terms. WTF ?

It is just stupid, plain and simple. The showrunners have shot a massive hole in their feet with this, and I'm amazed no one on the cast/production crew said anything about it unless there is an atmosphere of fear over speaking out.

TC's an amazing actor for the show, but come on ffs, to change his personality EVERY damn season ? (he won't be quite the same HW we saw in sn 2)

Eddie suiciding was imo the biggest mistake the show's ever made. They should have kept just ONE speed rival, TC as RF because he is perfect for the role. Wouldn't have been in every show, or maybe even season, BUT, it would have left a LOT of room for season long arcs that don't revolve around other speedsters (Savitar, yawn). It would have been like Smallville featuring Brainiac or other Kryptonians every damn season. People get bored of the same stuff PDQ.

The way it's going, The Flash will be a 'flash in the pan' and cancelled before too long.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎