X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designated Survivor (ABC)

Designated Survivor Website
    Designated Survivor @ Wikipedia
    Designated Survivor @ IMDb

Thomas Kirkman (Kiefer Sutherland, 24) is the U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development and about to be fired since the President has decided to go with someone else for his second term.

Kirkman is also the designated survivor for this year's State of the Union. He's kept safe in an undisclosed location while the President gives his speech.

Then the unthinkable happens. An explosion destroys the Capitol building and with it the President, Vice President, the Speaker of the House and most cabinet, house and senate members.

Fortunately, the unthinkable has been thought of. That's why Kirkman was not in the Capitol. And now he's sworn in as the next President of the United States.

The most urgent questions on everyone's mind are "Who did this?" and "Is the pencil pusher Kirkman really able to lead this country in this time of crisis?".

I've learned the term and the meaning behind the "designated survivor" in the first season of The West Wing. This is not going to be that show.

But it's probably not going to be 24 either. Although with the conspiring already happening, who knows...

I really liked the pilot. Everyone around Kirkman including himself doubts if he can do the job, but he appears to be a fighter. Someone who will tackle every challenge and obstacle that will come his way.

I'm curious how they will design the following years. When will there be re-elections and who will go up against him. How will they tackle the domestic and foreign topics?

This is one show I will definitely watch for the next few years.

I've been watching this show and mostly enjoying it, though it can be a bit uneven at times. I should also note that while I watched the first season of 24 and part of the next I was not a huge fan of that show.

Comment

So this past episode was...okay. I felt the whole 'father/son' thing was forced (why wouldn't Leo open the letter? If for no other reason than health issues? I mean, he'd need to know who his biological father is to know if there were certain diseases in the family, etc., right?!). Though I did like the twist of [SPOILER]Kirkman really being Leo's Dad[/SPOILER].

The whole thing with the FBI guy also seemed really forced.

I did like the stuff with the voting but why not call out the National Guard in all 50 states and have them watch the voting areas and do regular sweeps to keep them 'clean'?

I dunno, just seemed like there were a lot of plot holes in this ep. But I did like the overall tone (the country rebuilding, Kirkman leading, etc.).

Also, in DS news:
      http://www.tvguide.com/news/designat...armon-feldman/
      The showrunner quit and we're getting someone new. This new guy seems to have a really solid track record--with dramas especially--so this might be good news. But 3 showrunners in the first season?

Comment

These past 2 episodes have been pretty good. Hannah finally getting somewhere on the mystery (though who else was not a bit surprised that she got sideswiped like that by the car? *raises hand* was totally waiting for that to happen when she was driving. Bit predictable, show!), Kirkman finally getting clued on some stuff, Seth and the reporter, Aaron and Emily (that romance seemed to bloom overnight!).

I do think we've been neglecting Kirkman's family a bit too much (have we even seen the daughter lately?), and I would love more with the wife. How is she dealing with being First Lady?

But I do like that we seem to be getting answers--along with more twists! The Chief of Staff is [SPOILER]alive?![/SPOILER] Never saw that coming.

Good couple of episodes and a really good mid-season finale. Made me want the show to come back sooner so we could find out what happened and that's a good sign!

Edited to add: I do think they are trying too hard to [SPOILER]make it look like Aaron is a bad guy/in on the conspiracy[/SPOILER]. Just seems like a red herring, to me.

Comment

DS returns tonight (at last!)--March 8th. I knew it was back sometime in March but wasn't sure when. Feels like it's been gone forever...

Comment

So the return episode was fairly good. I was spoiled about Kirkman being shot (and about his surviving, though that was a bit of a given anyway). I have to admit, I was surprised they didn't have the kids more. I mean, if there's anytime for Leo and the daughter (forget her name) to have focus on them, this was the episode. Instead we get a very short scene with Leo and that's all?

I am so, so happy that Hannah is finally going to be speaking to Kirkman. It's about time. That has dragged on a bit, IMO. And it's great to finally have confirmation that MacLeish is really the bad guy (wondered if he was just a patsy and that the wife was pulling the strings? Seems not).

The whole Aaron thing--I don't think he's part of the conspiracy and I think he'll be cleared in the end but I also think that his burgeoning relationship with Emily is over. Before it even began really.

Speaking of Emily, how great was her little moment of finding the blood on her coat? Really effective scene/moment, there.

Virginia Madsen continues to be great as Kimble. Though I do wonder if she didn't show her cards a little to early by telling MacLeish she's watching him? Why do I also have a feeling that Kimble will end up being the new Vice President when MacLeish gets caught/does down?

So yeah, pretty good return and it's great to finally feel like we're getting somewhere.

Comment

Okay, wow, this past episode was pretty good! That twist (which I did not see coming!) was great.

Finally Hannah and the President meet and talk about MacLeish. Things seem to be sort of sorted with Emily and Aaron (who I really don't think is a part of this). Kimble is stupid and totally spills the beans to him, though, which she shouldn't have. I mean, Kirkman said to keep it between them, right? *shakes head*

The idea of the First Lady being in on it...? Or that they can't tell her to keep her 'safe'? Huh.

The kids finally appear (does the daughter look way older to anyone else? Looked like the same actress but she sure grew up since we last saw her!).

Seth got some good moments (loved his reaction to the repeated question). And then the twist.

Wow.

This show suddenly got really good! Looking forward to the next episode.

Comment

This past episode was okay. I liked seeing how the fallout to the thing with MacLeish went. The introduction of Rob Morrow's nosy reporter was interesting but I feel like we've been here before (with that female reporter?). I was also a bit bothered that they have sent the kids off. We're not even going to finish Leo's 'selling drugs' story? Seems like they figured out that fans didn't like the characters and, rather than fix that, decided 'well, time to make them disappear'.

The thing with Aaron....I still think it's a red herring. They were setting it up too hard for him to the bad guy. I think the meeting with Langdon (that his name?) will turn out to be innocent. Though it could be a triple switch type thing.

Also, who else thinks Kimble will end up VP? *raises hand*

A solid episode but not as good as last week's.

Comment

http://tvline.com/2017/04/08/designa...howrunner-abc/

Well, show was renewed for Season 2 but is also changing showrunners. Again! I can't recall any show ever going through this many in such a short amount of time.

Comment

http://tvline.com/2017/05/11/designa...-season-2-abc/

The show has been officially renewed for a second season.

Comment

So the season is over. I found the conclusion of the 'mystery' (I know, it's not over yet but still) to be a bit of a let down.

Also, Hannah mourning Jason was sweet but TPTB seem to have totally forgotten that her lover was killed in the Capitol attacks (her married lover, but still). It was a big part of the reason she wanted in in the first place.

Nice to see Chuck (who I keep calling Craig in my head, since that's the name of the character the actor played on another show) help out in such a big way.

The return of the Kirkman kids (with Leo's new shorter haircut?) was nice too. Also, Aaron returning to the White House (half jokingly thought Kirkman would offer him the VP slot! LOL) was a nice touch.

I really liked the stuff with Rob Morrow and Keifer. The FDR thing? Nice.

So, yeah, solid episode but felt a bit rushed, I guess? And I feel like we lost of a bit of the emotional connection recently in favor of political intrigue (the changing of the showrunners?).

Looking forward to what will take place in Season 2. The show is staying where it is on Wednesday nights, it seems.

Comment

http://www.tvguide.com/news/designat...ning-season-2/

Wow, I knew new showrunners might mean changes but losing Virginia's portrayal of Kimble? That's a big blow. She was one of the best things about the show and her move to Dept. of Education made me think she was still going to be a big part of things. Now they'll have to either write off her character or just mention her from time to time and never show her. Loved her scenes with Keifer, particularly.

Comment

http://tvline.com/2017/08/06/designa...son-2-changes/

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about this. Becoming more like "The West Wing" really just seems like turning it into a copycat or a knock-off (plus, a huge part of why that show worked was Aaron Sorkin's writing). I'm all for toning down the 'twists' and the soap opera drama but let's not just go to a straight political show.

Comment

http://www.tvguide.com/news/designat...ason-2-return/

So, Virginia might come back? I get that they are turning the focus back on the West Wing and the Presidency. And that Kimble is now Department of Education. But part of the President's job is dealing with the various departments of the government. So only makes sense, IMO, to have Kimble be there (at least from time to time). Maybe make her recurring, rather than a regular?

Comment

So the new season (with the new showrunner) premiered earlier this week. I have not watched it yet (and I'm not 100% I'm going to. They really changed the format, apparently). Now it's supposedly more "The West Wing", which is a show I adored and this could only be a pale imitation of.

There will also be another big shake-up in Season 2:
                              http://tvline.com/2017/09/27/natasch...alex-season-2/

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎