Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Burn the Witch?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Burn the Witch?"

What did you think?

Well, I was ready to give it an 8, but: Since they went the soap opera route and had Vale sleep with Gordon right as Thompkins returned to the city, it gets a 7.

Why's it so hard not to let a strong independent woman need a man? Whatever.

As for the rest of it, I enjoyed Bruce in this episode. Now that he's officially met his twin/clone, I'm guessing the deal with The Court of Owls will change?

I was shocked when it was announced a few months ago that they were going to recast Ivy, but after tonight, I couldn't care less. She still brought the creeps and one hell of a one-liner ("Remember to water.")...

The Fish/Strange/Penguin confrontation was definitely the highlight for me. Jada Pinkett-Smith contnnues to ROCK this role, and was delighted that she made it out of there. I can certainly understand the sentiment behind letting Penguin live. I was glad he returned the favor, too. I doubt she'll stay away from Gotham, either!

My only complaint with this episode was Lucius Fox. Dude looks so out of place at the station, and since when did he have experience as an M.E.? Hopefully, he'll be back where he belongs now that Lee's back.

Anyway, it was a pretty good episode. Next week looks good, too. Can't wait to see their interpretation of The Mad Hatter!
    10 - Loved it!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Hated it!
    0%

My video review.

Episode Score: 8/10.

So long as they don't draw out the soap opera bit with Gordon, Vale, and Thompkins, I won't be too fussed. I expect they're not gonna go the CW route with it. They'll draw it out for a few episodes, max.

Comment

7/10 for me.

I wasn't pleased with how they handled Ivy's transformation. It just felt sudden and had no explanation for why a 12 year old girl was suddenly a woman. At the very least they could had shown us a cliche scene of the old ivy transforming into the new ivy girl by drowning her in mutating ooze. Or have her be a victim of Hugo Strange. Something, anything, to stop the whole thing from feeling so weird. Come to think of it, she didn't need to be in this episode AT ALL. She could had easily appeared later on. with Fish and Strange discovering Ivy's drowned corpse, then doing experiments on her.
      I feel that would had made for a far more smooth transition from the old Ivy to the new one.

There's also something creepy about how you have this woman who still has the mind of a 12-year-old girl. Every time anybody hits on her or something, I'm gonna think: "Dude, they're hitting on a 12-year-old girl. Even if they don't know it. That's so creepy".

Penguin and Fish Mooney steals all the scenes, as usual.

Jim Gordon's scenes with Vale often felt pretty meh to me.

Comment

Yeah, please keep the love triangle stuff away! We get enough of this on other DC shows! Why does the show even need Lee back at this point? Nothing against Morena, but the character has outlived her usefulness, imo. And while I'm not interested in the show delving into Jim's love life week after week, at least the pairing with Valerie made more sense. All in all, Jim has gone through a drastic change this season and I'm not sure Gotham pays this as much attention as it should. Hell, he even refused to kiss Barbara. Who does that?

It was definitely a better episode compared to last week. With the monsters storyling seemingly coming to an end and Bruce shifting his attention from the Court to his doppleganger, it will be interesting to see where the season goes from here.

As for Fish, it definitely needs to be said that the Penguin scene was Jada's finest hour on the show. Can't say I'll miss the character, but leaving her alive to return in the future was the right move.

Comment

I lied. I actually ended up watching the initial airing of this episode before the presidential debates. Killing time. This episode was better than the first episode. I don't see why they'd bring back Morena's character as C22 said above. Looks like Mad Hatter, next week. Who's next? Egghead or King Tut?

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
            7/10 for me.

I wasn't pleased with how they handled Ivy's transformation. It just felt sudden and had no explanation for why a 12 year old girl was suddenly a woman. At the very least they could had shown us a cliche scene of the old ivy transforming into the new ivy girl by drowning her in mutating ooze. Or have her be a victim of Hugo Strange. Something, anything, to stop the whole thing from feeling so weird. Come to think of it, she didn't need to be in this episode AT ALL. She could had easily appeared later on. with Fish and Strange discovering Ivy's drowned corpse, then doing experiments on her.
            I feel that would had made for a far more smooth transition from the old Ivy to the new one.

There's also something creepy about how you have this woman who still has the mind of a 12-year-old girl. Every time anybody hits on her or something, I'm gonna think: "Dude, they're hitting on a 12-year-old girl. Even if they don't know it. That's so creepy".

Penguin and Fish Mooney steals all the scenes, as usual.

Jim Gordon's scenes with Vale often felt pretty meh to me.
            They showed how she aged in the previous episode. A guy with the ability to age people grabbed her and she jerked away and fell into the sewer. The actress who played young Ivy was 14 when she filmed that episode, not 12. She's 15 now. So is the actor who plays Bruce. The actress who plays Selina is 17. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
              That's exactly what I was thinking after the truck driver started interacting with her (after she crawled out of the water). I was like, "Please, please don't hit on her." I cringed when he offered her a beer, too.

I would be ok with Ivy flirting with older men, but ONLY if they establish that it's her choice.

Originally posted by costas22
              Why does the show even need Lee back at this point? Nothing against Morena, but the character has outlived her usefulness, imo.
              I agree with you 100%, costas22. Lucius was pretty much her stand-in in this episode, and as cringe-worthy as it was to watch him act like he knew what he was talking about, it proved that she's just not needed. They can get any actor to do the scenes she did in the past. They'd be better off just writing her out.

As for Fish, it definitely needs to be said that the Penguin scene was Jada's finest hour on the show. Can't say I'll miss the character, but leaving her alive to return in the future was the right move.
              I agree. That scene where she threatened Strange was so good, as was the one where she explained herself to Penguin. I think Jada finally found the right balance of malevolence and camp. Just when it looks like she and Penguin have possibly come to an understanding, she leaves. I hope she does resurface, the character is just too good to sideline.

Originally posted by Glove
              Looks like Mad Hatter, next week. Who's next? Egghead or King Tut?
              Oooh, why not? How about Egghead's sidekick, Olga, or Bookworm? Killer Moth?...

Originally posted by Dagenspear
              They showed how she aged in the previous episode. A guy with the ability to age people grabbed her and she jerked away and fell into the sewer.
              I think you've got it right, Dagenspear, but I think the problem with it is that it was sort of a chaotic scene. Maybe some people didn't see the character, Marv, touch her right before she fell. It was sort of a, "blink-and-you-miss-it," type of thing, but: You're right that he did touch her before she fell.
              Last edited by Aries83; 09-27-2016, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries83
                That's exactly what I was thinking after the truck driver started interacting with her (after she crawled out of the water). I was like, "Please, please don't hit on her." I cringed when he offered her a beer, too.

I would be ok with Ivy flirting with older men, but ONLY if they establish that it's her choice.
                The problem with that is that teenagers in gerenal don't exactly make informed choices, or even make good choices with the consequences in mind. That's why they can't be seen as an legal adult, and why any adult sleeping with a teenager can be accused of rape by the law even if the whole thing was apparently consensual. The adult becomes the sexual offender even if the teenage girl was the one who came on to the guy and not the way around. because teenage girls are immature beings who doesn't make good decisions at all. That's how our society sees things at the moment.

So it's always going to have that level of wrongness and creepiness to me even if she ends up being the one who initiates anything. Unless.... they make it clear that Ivy's mind is quickly aging up too. Then she's an adult in an adult body, not a clueless 12-year-old girl with a body that's way too mature for her age.

I think you've got it right, Dagenspear, but I think the problem with it is that it was sort of a chaotic scene. Maybe some people didn't see the character, Marv, touch her right before she fell. It was sort of a, "blink-and-you-miss-it," type of thing, but: You're right that he did touch her before she fell.
                Yeah, it didn't really explain anything to us and just left us confused.
                Last edited by Aurora Moon; 10-03-2016, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎