DC Bombshells

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Bombshells

Who else is reading this?

I wasn't so sure about this comic book series when I first started reading it, but so far I love it! I was worried that it was going to be nothing but pin-up stuff, and that I would get bored fast.

But instead, it reads as an very decent elseworlds tale...

I read the first GN last week or so. I really loved the art and some of the stories, though I didn't care for how much focus there was on Batgirl. The PG and Stargirl stuff was cool ("Red Son" Superman type story), and the WW story was the best (though I am probably biased as I love Diana!).

Mera, a character I am mostly 'meh' about, was interesting as well.

An interesting take on the superheroines of the DCU. I do want to read more (soon as my local library gets the next GN in!).

Comment

Considering how overly popular batman is right now, it's no wonder why the female batgirls are getting so much attention.

I do agree that Wonder Woman's story was the best out of them, followed by Supergirl's.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
        Considering how overly popular batman is right now, it's no wonder why the female batgirls are getting so much attention.
        True. I guess I was just surprised. In the comics, the female members of the bat-family tend to get shunted to the side, and with big names like WW, Supergirl, etc. in there I sort of figured they would be getting the main focus.

BTW, as a big time Zatanna fan, was surprised and pleased to see her in Bombshells.

Comment

It seems that they're using the bombshells line to shine a spotlight on under-used and under-appreciated superheroines, which I think is great.
          I mean, when you think about it most of the women in the lineup were often seen just as nothing but a female counterpart to the male, and therefore wasn't given much personality... especially in the case of Mera. So many stories tend to treat her as Aquaman's arm candy, or a bitter wife who were being cheated on like in the flashpoint paradox story-line.

With a strong emphasis on the female heroines out there in the Bombshells universe, it feels like they're showcasing the best of feminism... which I feel is rare to see in any form of media.
          I mean, in Supergirl's first season they tried to tackle the idea of feminism, but it came off too defensive, too overwrought, etc. It felt like some cheap hallmark movie, which wasn't a good thing at all. It was like the supergirl writers didn't get what feminism was like when it's in its' natural setting.

In Bombshell, the aura of feminism feels natural and not forced at all. It's just a bunch of powerful women doing what comes naturally to them, and having fun with it. The comic book really shows how to show feminism in action without turning it into a preachy piece, or worse, turning it into a hateful stereotype where feminists hate men for causing wars, etc. The story isn't even about fighting sexism but rather just punching the living daylights out of Nazis, which I also find refreshing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
            It seems that they're using the bombshells line to shine a spotlight on under-used and under-appreciated superheroines, which I think is great.
            I mean, when you think about it most of the women in the lineup were often seen just as nothing but a female counterpart to the male, and therefore wasn't given much personality... especially in the case of Mera. So many stories tend to treat her as Aquaman's arm candy, or a bitter wife who were being cheated on like in the flashpoint paradox story-line.

With a strong emphasis on the female heroines out there in the Bombshells universe, it feels like they're showcasing the best of feminism... which I feel is rare to see in any form of media.
            I mean, in Supergirl's first season they tried to tackle the idea of feminism, but it came off too defensive, too overwrought, etc. It felt like some cheap hallmark movie, which wasn't a good thing at all. It was like the supergirl writers didn't get what feminism was like when it's in its' natural setting.

In Bombshell, the aura of feminism feels natural and not forced at all. It's just a bunch of powerful women doing what comes naturally to them, and having fun with it. The comic book really shows how to show feminism in action without turning it into a preachy piece, or worse, turning it into a hateful stereotype where feminists hate men for causing wars, etc. The story isn't even about fighting sexism but rather just punching the living daylights out of Nazis, which I also find refreshing.
            It's partly because I think the Bombshells line is using feminism in the way it's classically been defined. It's about empowering women, without doing the same sexism a lot of women suffered under. It's not about putting down the male characters. It's about showing how the women of the DC universe, and specifically in this case the Bombshells variant universe, are every bit the capable, heroic, noble characters the "traditionally male" superheroes are.

It hasn't fallen into the modern trend of "my specific political/social/racial/whatever platform must be correct, and everything else must be obliterated" trope that is being defined across the country on college campuses.

Comment

Yeah, I do hate how everything's way too polarized nowadays. Nobody wants to meet in the middle ground anymore.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎