Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Papa Steve.

Gosh, they've grown up so much.

Comment

So, without going into spoilers, I found Season 3 to be...rather uneven (and from what I can tell, I'm in the minority there? I've been seeing nothing but praise for this one). Some was really great (and mega praise to Dacre for his turn as Billy. He did some really awesome stuff with his character this year), but some was....not so much.

Also, really didn't care for the ending, myself.

Comment

I've heard a lot of people say it was the best season of Stranger Things, something I completely disagree with. The first season was almost perfect in every way and I don't think any other season will top it. That said, I think it was a bit better than season 2 for two reasons: It reverted back to 8 episodes and the new characters clicked better than Season 2's did.

Speaking of, Robin is a tremendous addition to the show. A character who just comes across cool and likeable from the off (in contrast, 2 seasons in and I am still struggling to like Max). In a lot of ways, Robin's arc of the season along with Dustin, Steve and Erica is the best part about the season. It's the one that truly delves into the mystery of the season and it's also the most fun to follow. The only thing I wasn't particularly fond of was the twist about Robin's preferences. Normally, I don't like shipping, but as a viewer I found myself rooting for Steve and Robin to become a couple. Due to the way the story was unfolding and due to the chemistry the two characters had. I guess the Duffers saw this as an opportunity to introduce an LGBT character instead. Which is fine as a concept. I just feel that they could have done this with another character that made more sense (like Will).

My biggest gripe with this season is Hopper's characterization. Man, what happened there? It's like someone saw Harbour's speech at the SAGs last year and encouraged him to be like this the entire time. Hopper is not perfect. Far from it. He's a flawed character. But he's a flawed character we like and relate to due to the tragedy he's been through. This season Hopper wasn't likeable at all. There were times when he was borderline unhinged. And what's really sad is that the way he's been portrayed has sabotaged both of his relationships. Until the last episode of Season 3, I couldn't buy into his romance with Joyce or into his father/daughter relationship with Eleven at all. There was no heart to either relationship. Just arguing and yelling. I read an analysis that Hopper in seasons 1-2 was like Rambo in First Blood and Hopper in season 3 was like Rambo in Rambo 2-3. Which summed it up quite well.

As for his death, obviously it was a tremendous sacrifice and something the Hopper of old would do. But, until there's an official announcement by the show or David Harbour, I don't believe he's dead just yet. Especially since we saw no dead body and in the post credits scene we find out that the Russians and have an American prisoner. Either way, this is the first time that Stranger Things has ended a season on so many sour notes (Hopper's death, the Byers family leaving Hawkins).

If I have one wish for next season (which will probably be the last) it's that they stop focusing so much on the Upside Down. IMHO, the storyline has run its course and it just gets more and more gory now. And yes, the Russians are keeping a Demogorgon hostage now, but hopefully that won't be the entire focus of Season 4.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
          Speaking of, Robin is a tremendous addition to the show.
          Yes, I loved Robin. She was a great character. And the Scoop Troop was so fun (Erica annoyed me a bit, especially with her overuse of the "nerd" thing).

My biggest gripe with this season is Hopper's characterization.
          I'm not that was my biggest problem but it definitely was a problem. I get that suddenly he's a dad again (to a girl, like before) but he seemed almost cartoonish. Also, it bugged me how easily Mike was scared off by Hopper's talk (the kid has faced down real life monsters and Hop scares him? What?).

This season Hopper wasn't likeable at all. There were times when he was borderline unhinged.
          Agreed. Even his interactions with Alexei (and Murray to a lesser degree) seemed...off.

, until there's an official announcement by the show or David Harbour, I don't believe he's dead just yet. Especially since we saw no dead body and in the post credits scene we find out that the Russians and have an American prisoner.
          With the tag, most fans seem pretty sure "The American" is Hopper and he'll be back. I find myself wondering if "The American" isn't Dr. Brenner ('Papa')? After all, how else would the Russians know/have the tech? And it was strongly hinted in Season 2 that Brenner is still alive. I think that would be a cool twist, myself. If it turned out not to be Hopper but 'Papa'.

As I understand it, David Harbour is signed for a 4th season but the Duffers can choose not to use him. That's if we Season 4 gets picked up (oh, who are we kidding? After the boffo numbers they just announced--Netflix, that is--there's no way they won't renew).

Comment

Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty
            Yes, I loved Robin. She was a great character. And the Scoop Troop was so fun (Erica annoyed me a bit, especially with her overuse of the "nerd" thing).
            Erica isn't always my cup of tea either. If I was a kid, she's probably not someone I would hang out with. But I must say that the child actress is amazingly mature in her portrayal and expressions.

Also, it bugged me how easily Mike was scared off by Hopper's talk (the kid has faced down real life monsters and Hop scares him? What?).
            Τhat's where the show fell into that melodramatic trap a lot of other shows fall in. Mike fell for Jim's intimidation and then lied to El about it because they had to be kept separate for a few episodes. Granted, these kids are in their early teens and they're bound to be immature in their relationships, but it still felt like a cheap way to create tension.

With the tag, most fans seem pretty sure "The American" is Hopper and he'll be back. I find myself wondering if "The American" isn't Dr. Brenner ('Papa')? After all, how else would the Russians know/have the tech? And it was strongly hinted in Season 2 that Brenner is still alive. I think that would be a cool twist, myself. If it turned out not to be Hopper but 'Papa'.

As I understand it, David Harbour is signed for a 4th season but the Duffers can choose not to use him. That's if we Season 4 gets picked up (oh, who are we kidding? After the boffo numbers they just announced--Netflix, that is--there's no way they won't renew).
            Heh, it's definitely getting picked up for a 4th season. The viewership was crazy (very smart move to release it on the 4th of July) and I think that the Duffers have already said that they would like to wrap it up after 4 seasons.

I like the idea about Brenner being the Russian's prisoner. Hadn't occured to me, but it makes sense if we're wondering how the Russians found out about the Upside Down.

Comment

Τhat's where the show fell into that melodramatic trap a lot of other shows fall in. Mike fell for Jim's intimidation and then lied to El about it because they had to be kept separate for a few episodes. Granted, these kids are in their early teens and they're bound to be immature in their relationships, but it still felt like a cheap way to create tension.
              Agreed. I mean, I know Mike said something about Hopper "going crazy" and how he'd "snapped" but c'mon. Also, after everything that Mike and Eleven have gone through, he's going to let Hopper being a jerk stop him from seeing El?

I like the idea about Brenner being the Russian's prisoner. Hadn't occured to me, but it makes sense if we're wondering how the Russians found out about the Upside Down.
              most fans seem to be of a mind that it's either Hopper or Brenner in there. I tend to lean Brenner because it explains how the Russians even knew about Demogorgons and the Upside Down in the first place (i.e. after Brenner was attacked and barely made it out at the end of Season 1, the government disavowed him and he turned to the Russians to continue his work). Hop is still a possibility (they could even be keeping both in there?) but I still think Brenner is the "American".

I think it would be interesting if, in season 4, Eleven thinks Hopper is being held and gathers a team (including Eight) to go after him. Only to find that it's Brenner.

Also, small but great moment from Season 3? Joyce going to see Mr. Clark and finding him in his garage painting figures and listening to Weird Al (I actually thought Mr. Clark was the one Dustin was trying to contact via radio in the Battle of Starcourt!).

Comment

https://tvline.com/2019/09/30/strang...ewed-season-4/

In a movie that should surprise no one, Netflix has renewed the show for a 4th season. There is a slightly spoilery video at the link, btw.

Not surprised, it's one of Netflix's biggest hits, but nice to get the confirmation.

Comment

The show has been renewed for a 5th and final season and the premiere date(s) for Season 4 have dropped.

They will be releasing Season 4 in two parts--one on May 27th and then the rest 5 weeks later on July 1st.

Comment

Aside from trying to reignite the Steve/Nancy romance (while Jonathan is bizzarely marginalized for most of the season) and Robin being retconned into an annoying blabbermouth, this entry is the best work the Duffers have done since season 1.

Episode 4.07 especially was phenomenal. The fight with the Demogorgon was badass and then my jaw dropped with Vecna's origin story. Remimded me a bit of how Westworld tied 3 seemingly separate stories together when it revealed the MIB's identity.

Can't wait for the last 2 episodes.

Comment

Aside from trying to reignite the Steve/Nancy romance (while Jonathan is bizzarely marginalized for most of the season) and Robin being retconned into an annoying blabbermouth, this entry is the best work the Duffers have done since season 1.

Episode 4.07 especially was phenomenal. The fight with the Demogorgon was badass and then my jaw dropped with Vecna's origin story. Remimded me a bit of how Westworld tied 3 seemingly separate stories together when it revealed the MIB's identity.

Can't wait for the last 2 episodes.
                      Yeah by the last episode of this batch they were able to tie all these separate groups into one major reveal. I hope the groups come together with last two movie length episodes.

Comment

I am honestly at a loss for words. Not just by the acting, the directing or the special effects. This show's writing is its biggest strength. What the Duffers did this season, especially the last 3 episodes, was no small feat. Season 1, which remains their best ever work IMO, was fairly "easy". The cast was small, the story was simpler and they just hit all the right tones.

In season 4 they had a far bigger cast and a multi layered story and they handled both as perfectly as it gets (again, not a fan of the Jonathan/Nancy/Steve love triangle but that's the only flaw). The moment that best encapsulates this (apart from Vecna's backstory) is the climax of the season finale that sees 5 different events happening at the same time. Every one of these events is just as important, they all unfold at the same time and they are connected to each other. It was like watching an Avengers movie.

And then you have the closing shot with the epic remix of the show's theme while our heroes watch what's coming their way. What better way to make you wish Season 5 happened tomorrow?

I admit I am very jaded about tv shows nowadays, as its evident by my comments about Kenobi and Westworld. I've lost faith in tv shows actually putting story over agenda first. And then the Duffers came along to remind us that in 2022 good writing on tv shows is still possible. And they deserve extra credit because they saw what didn't work for their audience the last time and they course corrected.

P.S. A lot of actors deserve praise for their work this season. My shoutout will go to 2 who made this season click for me so well. The first is David Harbour, who this season went back to his roots and portrayed Hopper the way we loved him in season 1 (and lost a ton of weight in the process!). The second is Gaten Matarazzo, who is talented way beyond his years. I was blown away by how good he was in the scene with Eddie's uncle.

Comment

First, sharing this news:
                          https://tvline.com/2023/04/10/strang...eries-netflix/

Second, I never left my thoughts on Season 4? Huh.

Well, I enjoyed it a lot. I went in a bit spoiled knew about [SPOILER]Eddie's death[/SPOILER] before watching. I enjoyed Eddie as a character and Matthew Modine's return was very welcome too.

I just...I like Max, I really do, but I feel like the focus on her this season really sidelined some of the other characters. Like Dustin, who I would have liked to see more of (Gaten has been so good of late, in his role!). Or more with Steve. Or more with Mike and Will? Mike's almost become an afterthought in the story, it feels like, after being 'The Heart' for years.

Also, can we talk about Jamie Campbell Bower? Who I love anyway but man, gave a fantastic performance?!

Comment

I love the show. Even went to Stranger Things: The Experience in Toronto, which was good but a little underwhelming.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎