No announcement yet.

The Defenders

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheSecretVampire
    Well, there was no actor or actress character who annoyed me so that was a huge plus! This show definitely started out very slowly and I would've liked it to be more of a faster build to the team coming together, but other than that, I really enjoyed it. Oh and Sigourney's character was very bland and flat...never once did I feel like she was a major threat on the show. By no means am I calling her a bland actress...just her character on the show fell really flat for me. It was in line with how poorly Diamondback was in Luke Cage and Harold in Iron Fist. In the end The Defenders was definitely a step up for me , compared the second half of Luke Cage and the entire run of Iron Fist.
    The threat Sigourney Weaver brought to the camera was very little due to the character and had more to do with the Hand organisation itself. Alexandra wasn't really such a strong leader if all the faction leaders have tried multiple times to take out other faction leaders, including Alexandra. People may believe her holding power despite that makes her strong but it doesn't, actually it weakens her dramatically. A strong dictator isn't one that remains in power despite subordinates trying to upsurpt him/her but one that quashes rebellion before it starts.
    Last edited by DoubleDevil; 08-22-2017, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleDevil
      The threat Sigourney Weaver brought to the camera was very little due to the character and had more to do with the Hand organisation itself. Alexandra wasn't really such a strong leader if all the faction leaders have tried multiple times to take out other faction leaders, including Alexandra. People may believe her holding power despite that makes her strong but it doesn't, actually it weakens her dramatically. A strong dictator isn't one that remains in power despite subordinates trying to upsurpt him/her but one that quashes rebellion before it starts.
      [SPOILER]

What does Alexandra actually accomplish in the series? That's my biggest gripe. She does nothing except serve as a bit of a mystery character wielding Elektra as a weapon from behind-the-scenes. She's not a great fighter, although she does briefly subdue Elektra after her resurrection, but it's not like she's Nobu from DD. She doesn't appear to have powers, like Gao. All of her henchmen are in the boardroom are defeated easily. She doesn't really hurt any of the Defenders. There's nothing particularly clever about her plans. At one point, we're told that the leaders of the Hand all have their own little continent they get to rule over. Is she the American? If so, how come we've been seeing Gao since DD1?

Alexandra is a nothing character whose story goes nowhere.

Someone also needs to explain to me what the heck the Black Sky even is. It's not just someone whose been resurrected, since we know all of the leaders of the Hand have died and been brought back several times. Wasn't Harold brought back in IF? Didn't Nobu even come back to life at some point (this one I might be remembering wrong)?

So, what is it? How was Elektra's resurrection different? Did it give her special powers? Well, Gao has powers. I don't understand what a Black Sky even is.

[/SPOILER]

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
        [SPOILER]

What does Alexandra actually accomplish in the series? That's my biggest gripe. She does nothing except serve as a bit of a mystery character wielding Elektra as a weapon from behind-the-scenes. She's not a great fighter, although she does briefly subdue Elektra after her resurrection, but it's not like she's Nobu from DD. She doesn't appear to have powers, like Gao. All of her henchmen are in the boardroom are defeated easily. She doesn't really hurt any of the Defenders. There's nothing particularly clever about her plans. At one point, we're told that the leaders of the Hand all have their own little continent they get to rule over. Is she the American? If so, how come we've been seeing Gao since DD1?

Alexandra is a nothing character whose story goes nowhere.

Someone also needs to explain to me what the heck the Black Sky even is. It's not just someone whose been resurrected, since we know all of the leaders of the Hand have died and been brought back several times. Wasn't Harold brought back in IF? Didn't Nobu even come back to life at some point (this one I might be remembering wrong)?

So, what is it? How was Elektra's resurrection different? Did it give her special powers? Well, Gao has powers. I don't understand what a Black Sky even is.

[/SPOILER]
        My assumption is each faction has a certain speciality and from what I picked up in the show Alexandra's is bringing the factions together. Not a very threatening ability in itself but combined with Nobu's faction, Madam Gao's faction and even Bakuto's faction having all of them working as one can be very threatening. Did the show show that? Not really, yet it was implied. I agree when it came to Sigourney Weaver they dropped the ball. They could've done much more to make her the imposing figure she was supposed to be.

As for the Black Sky, the Hand worships a demon and I assume the Black Sky is the vessel that most closely connects to the demon. None of it is explained but I believe Madam Gao has a mystical connection that would require a Black Sky.
        Last edited by DoubleDevil; 08-23-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Liked that they did a slow burn, on the team getting together, instead of them rushing things and the four get together, before the second episode. Thought Weaver was wasted on the show and the Hand was a lackluster villain.

Nice seeing Misty [SPOILER]loose her arm.[/SPOILER] Been waiting for that, since Luke Cage.

Comment

Not much satisfied with this show. It kind of bored me to the end part. Iron fist and Luke Cage they haven't shown their abilities.What 's the use of having power when you are not using it?

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎