Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people Like Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people Like Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor?

I don't understand why people Like Michael Rosenbaum as this Lex Luthor Character because I don't see him playing this character at all, he doesn't seem like that type. I just think it's weird because he can't take the place of John Glover. But that's just me. Can some one please give their reasons why they Like Michael Rosenbaum as Lex? and an explanation as to why they like him? Because I don't get all this hype. Since I used to be a boy crazed fan girl of his 16 years ago, and I grew out of that. And so I'm no longer going through that phase anymore. I am just trying to understand why people like Michael Rosenbaum so much. I love his work, I'm just not crazy about him. I just see him as a complex person with many aspects to him who has feelings like everybody else. and I deeply care for him and his emotional well being. this is my quote that I wrote "The career of an actor never replaces the importance or the value of the actor's emotional well being."
    Last edited by laurarawlins; 06-24-2016, 10:42 PM.

Well, for me, he brought so many layers to Lex, at least in the beginning. Sure, the actors are saying the words written by someone else, but Michael, to me, has the skill to be able to bring in subtle nuances which can change your perception of the character. I've heard that Michael is a fairly nice guy, but that's not why I like his portrayal of Lex. Don't get me wrong. I've seen Gene Hackman play an older, in some ways, more comedic Lex, I've seen John Shea's version and I did see Kevin Spacey's version. Gene Hackman is a very talented actor, but something about his portrayal rubs me up the wrong way, and John Shea ... good-looking, but again, the character just rubs me up the wrong way. Let's not go there with SR.

I think I read a theory that some people who are evil do what they do because they think in their own way they're doing the right thing. There were times when I found myself agreeing with Lex in Smallville, in spite of the terrible things he did (in the later years).

Sorry for the ramble. To answer your question, I suppose in many ways it's because Michael played a Lex that I could relate to, being somewhat older than a teenager when Smallville first aired. A Lex who had many insecurities and a lot of faults, but wasn't a megalomaniac in the beginning.

I've never met Michael and since I doubt he's ever going to come to NZ, it's highly unlikely I ever will so I cannot make a judgement on what kind of guy he is. I've seen a few of the things he's been in and I believe he is capable of playing characters you 'love to hate'. I haven't watched him in Impastor either as it just doesn't appeal to me.

Hope that helps to answer your question.

Comment

Like Phoniex said, Micheal's great at playing an sympathetic villain... and he really shines when paired up with John Glover. they just play off each other so well as a dysfunctional father-son pair.

Comment

I agree. For the most part, Michael played a very multi-dimensional Lex, more so than some of the previous actors. Not to day they aren't good actors, as part of it has to do with what those actors were given to work with. That's not to say Rosenbaum didn't have hammy or phoning it in moments. But there was layers to his Lex that I think worked. I'm reminded of how Lex described Clark saying his name in the finale, which sort of encapsulates seeing Lex on screen: "Astonishment, mixed with a hint of dread, yet with a hopeful finish."

Comment

Another thing I'd like to add. In other versions, It was often hard to see where Superman was coming from whenever he commented that he knew there was some good in Lex, and how disappointed he often was whenever Lex choose to do evil instead of good. After all, in the cartoons and the comics, or even in the live action movies we've never really seen any redeeming qualities in Lex Luthor... he was just always this one-dimensional villain who were simply doing evil for the lulz of it.

But with the Smallville version I can definitely sympathize with Clark Kent/Superman more whenever he says that he's disappointed in Lex. After all, we did see Lex do good occasionally, etc. Lex had the potential to do better, and yet he choose to go down this evil route??

That's the other reason why I liked this Smallville version of Lex.

Comment

One of the more interesting choices the writers did over the years, was form the entire show around the idea of Clark and Lex being surrogate brothers. The majority of the show kept that going...but it all fell apart when Michael left. Lex has been Superman's arch-enemy, almost from the very beginning...so the other villains they came up with toward the series' end never matched the original dynamic. Season 8 had a warped version of Doomsday, Season 9 a clone of Zod, and Season 10 a barely-seen Darkseid...none of which surpassed Clark's conflict with Lex in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎